Thread: Larry Brown to leave Pistons; to go to Cavs...

3ptmiller

Default Re: Larry Brown to leave Pistons; to go to Cavs...

Kstat aint gona like this!

Damn it I was hoping he would go as a coach so we dont lose Mike

Why would this be announced now? They are still playing for cripe's sake.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Kstat and about everyother Pistonsfan saw Larry moving on. Now the timing of this, that might be another story and also a division opponent, which is something that might not fall well with everyone.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not suprising, I didn't expect this type of thing from Larry, to make it public while his team is fighting for a championship

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kstat and about everyother Pistonsfan saw Larry moving on. Now the timing of this, that might be another story and also a division opponent, which is something that might not fall well with everyone.

Regards,

Mourning
    The whole franchise has been saying since november that this is larry's last year with the pistons. The players knew it. The fans knew it. Everyone has been saying this except larry.

Larry's health wont allow him to coach anymore. The players, much as they detest his personality, respect him a LOT as a head coach.

I think there will be a heavy "win this for coach brown" theme in the locker room.

Despite all this, I'll believe this report when I hear it personally.

And I pity poor cleveland. Larry Brown is a great coach, but the worst GM on earth. They have NO IDEA what they're getting in to....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

And I pity poor cleveland. Larry Brown is a great coach, but the worst GM on earth.
    Exactly what I was going to say. If he is in a GM-role, I wouldn't trust his decision making at all.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I don't think he "made up" his hip replacement surgery.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Larry Brown is a great coach, but the worst GM on earth. They have NO IDEA what they're getting in to....
    I think Rimfire may have something to say about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I think Rimfire may have something to say about that...

...and I'm sure Dipper would gladly rebutt him.

for the record, the pistons have granted larry permission to talk to other teams about GM jobs.

http://sports.excite.com/news/05252005/v6712.html

Brown Says He's Never Met With Cavaliers Owner Or Spoken to Him About a Job
    May 25, 7:50 PM (ET)

By CHRIS SHERIDAN

(AP) Detroit Pistons coach Larry Brown looks toward the scoreboard during the second quarter in Game 2...
    Full Image

MIAMI (AP) - Detroit Pistons coach Larry Brown said Wednesday he has never spoken to Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert about the possibility of becoming president of the Cavaliers.

Responding to a published report suggesting he might want to leave the Pistons after this season and become Cleveland's president of basketball operations, Brown said he would like to remain Detroit's coach - but only if he's able to overcome a health problem he plans to address as soon as the season ends.

"I don't want to draw this thing out. As soon as the season's over, I'm going to get it checked. And I hope in a couple days I'll be able to give a definitive answer," Brown said before Game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Miami Heat.

"I think within 72 hours (of the end of the season) I'll be able to let (team president Joe Dumars) know. If he wants to make a change before that, I can accept that."

Brown said he will stop coaching if his health problem cannot be fixed, but he would want to continue working in basketball in some capacity.

"This is my last coaching job," Brown said. "The only place I'm going to coach next season, or ever, is Detroit, I think, in terms of ever."

The New York Times, quoting an anonymous Eastern Conference executive, reported Wednesday that Brown has talked recently to the Cleveland owner. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that the Cavaliers had asked the Pistons' permission to speak to Brown.

"Never talked," Brown said of Gilbert. "I don't know if I've ever met him."

Dumars declined comment.

Brown, whose name has been also linked at times with the New York Knicks' and Los Angeles Lakers' coaching vacancies, along with a handful of other jobs, has three years remaining on a five-year, $25 million contract.

Gilbert, speaking to CNBC on Wednesday, said the Cavaliers "are undergoing a massive transformation" and that he will announce the hiring of a new coach, new general manager and president in the next one to two weeks.

He wouldn't, however, speak specifically about Brown.

"There's a lot of names that are kind of circulating out there and a lot of rumors," Gilbert said. "And unfortunately, or fortunately, I can't comment on any of them. ... There's nothing imminent right now signing with anybody but we're getting very close. We're very excited about the candidates we're talking to."

Gilbert is looking for someone to replace former GM Jim Paxson, who was fired April 21, a day after the season ended with the Cavaliers missing the playoffs for the seventh straight year. And LeBron James, the team's star, reportedly prefers Seattle's Nate McMillan to take over as Cleveland coach.

"LeBron will be in the playoffs next year," Gilbert said. "We're going to do everything we can to build a world class organization in Cleveland."

The 64-year-old Brown coached James on last summer's U.S. Olympic basketball team that won a bronze medal in Athens. James was a reserve on the Olympic team and was unhappy with his limited role as the backup behind Allen Iverson at shooting guard.

Brown missed parts of this season because of a hip operation that led to more problems, and he nearly resigned at midseason before deciding to continue coaching while dealing with his health problem, the specifics of which he did not want disclosed.

"I don't want to continue coaching with what I have to deal with," Brown said in an interview with The Associated Press and the Pistons' four newspaper beat writers. "If it's cleared up, then we won't even have an issue.

"My goal is to do the best job I can here, and then hopefully be a coach, because that's what I do. If I can't, then I'll deal with that."