Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If not Tinsley, then who?

Default If not Tinsley, then who?

For the people that are promoting trading Tinsley I have a question:

Who would you get to replace him and how would do it?

I'm looking for a specific name and scenario, not "trade up and draft one".

I think the grass is not always greener and I think its a tougher position to fill than some believe

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If not Tinsley, then who?

I agree. I would be fine with Tinsley returning next year. In fact, I hope thats what happens.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I want to add another PG, starter quality, who could play significant minutes alongside Tins, who could than be spared a little during the regular season.

The only other scenario I want to let go of Tins is if we get back one of the "super" point guards (Nash, Kidd, Lebron) or Andre Miller. And the chances of one of those guys coming are about nil. so, I don't want Tins gone, I want the quality improved of the position, someone who could also penetrate and pass, someone like Arroyo or Bobby Jackson forinstance.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

So you would trade Tinsley for Arroyo or Bobby Jackson?

No, I would like to add one of them to our PG-spot.

I would be willing to let go of say Pollard, our nr.17 pick, AJ or (if management is convinced enough AJ can play backup SG aswell) Freddie, depending on the combination.

Regards,

Mourning

I think the most likely senario would be down grading the point guard spot to someone who is percieved as more consistant and getting a 2 or 3 who can handle the ball and start the offense (Allen or Odom).

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the most likely senario would be down grading the point guard spot to someone who is percieved as more consistant and getting a 2 or 3 who can handle the ball and start the offense (Allen or Odom).
    I think you just hit the nail on the head with that one. Allen often looks like a point guard when he's playing anyway.

Well, don't we all want Allen and/or Odom? Offcourse, getting them also means giving up significantly goods and thus weakening other spots, because just trading AJ or Tins isn't going to get it done IMO.

Unless we were to somehow get a sign and trade with Allen, and I don't know, but I just don't see that really happenning.

Regards,

Mourning

That sounds all fine and well, but what I'm looking for is a scenario like

"We trade Tinsley and Artest for Ray Allen and have Anthony Johnson as the starting PG"

I think people are saying lets trade Tins and get someone else, but do not have a concrete plan for filling his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    That sounds all fine and well, but what I'm looking for is a scenario like

"We trade Tinsley and Artest for Ray Allen and have Anthony Johnson as the starting PG"
    Which is a scenario I, to be honest, would detest. I really hate this scenario. I know you just put up an example. Just wanted to say this though .

Regards,

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Well, don't we all want Allen and/or Odom? Offcourse, getting them also means giving up significantly goods and thus weakening other spots, because just trading AJ or Tins isn't going to get it done IMO.

Unless we were to somehow get a sign and trade with Allen, and I don't know, but I just don't see that really happenning.

Regards,

Mourning
    I don't think I really want Allen on this team, unless he improves on defense. Even then I'm not so sure.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I don't care to work out how to do the trades. Every time I work on it Donnie just completely ignores my idea.

My point wasn't we should get Allen or Odom really. I'm saying it is far more likely we will down grade the pg position in a talent perspective while getting a 2 or 3 who can take off some of the pressure off the point guard.

I don't think based on talent that there is a better pg out there. I do think we can improve our roster so that we don't need as good of a point guard.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't believe how many people are advocating trading Tinsley.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Neither can I...

One good reason to avoid rumors in the off-season. I firmly believe Tins will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    For the record again, I'm not one of them .

Regards,

Mourning

I haven't seen anyone on this thread advocating trading Tins.

i am advocating that management do what will win the championship. I'd be happy if Tins was here next season and happier still if he was healthy in the playoffs.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'm for trading him.

Arroyo would be interesting. But defense is a problem.

The Ray Allen scenario is tempting. Again, defense. But I'd be willing to consider it.

Really, I'm rather happy with Jax, so I don't necessarily think we need another shooting guard to do the scenario of a less-athletic point guard with a better shot and better self control.

Is Eric Snow too old? I like him.

Eisley?

Terry Porter has possibilities.

How bout that Howard kid in Dallas. I REALLY like him.

I'd take a risk with Marbury. He's definitely stretch the defense. (Ours too

How bout Chucky Atkins. Maybe that's what the Lakers rumor is about.

Then there's Gary Payton. Same problem with oustide shooting, but a good head. I think he's a free agent.

Eric Snow,Chucky Atkins and Howard Eisley? You would really like any of these 3 starting at PG for us? LMAO

BustedPants

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan

Terry Porter has possibilities.

Then there's Gary Payton. Same problem with oustide shooting, but a good head. I think he's a free agent.
    Terry Porter has possibilities? I might have looked over your reply quickly, but what do you mean?

And in terms of Gary Payton, I would only want him if he would come in with a minimum contract. He made every opposing point guard look even better than they already were in 2004, and his only contribution to the Boston/Pacers series this year was how he defended Reggie.

Let's not go crazy here. If a good trade comes around, then let's take it-- but I don't think we should try to heavily move most of our guys, unless some team wants to take Croshere and Bender off our hands.

Our only worries should be the stability of Artest and team leadership. It will be difficulty to obtain instant leadership through trades, and I have no idea what I would do with Artest. I love his game and I love his will to win, but this is one of the main instances where I don't have the ability to think objectively.

How about Earl Watson. I'll say it right now I'd rather have Earl Watson instead of Tinsley.

If the Pacers do make a trade I think it will be with the Grizzlies

Griz set to work quickly
    As lockout looms, team talking trades

By Ronald Tillery
    Contact
    May 26, 2005

The possibility of an NBA work stoppage has the Grizzlies locked and loaded.

Team president Jerry West revealed Wednesday that the threat of a lockout could speed up the process of pulling the trigger on potential trades. The Griz, like most teams uncertain of what the summer will hold, would look to wheel and deal during the draft and the days following.

NBA owners are expected to lock out players July 1 if a new collective bargaining agreement isn't signed by then. The CBA between the league and its players expires June 30.

West called recent talk about a lockout "rhetoric," and expressed his belief that no games would be missed in the fall. But a work stoppage following the draft could disrupt the summer -- meaning the ability to make trades, sign free agents and essentially conduct offseason business may stall at a time when teams typically remake rosters.

"I'll believe it when I see it," West said of a possible work stoppage. "The less said about it, the better. But we feel that it's important for us, if a trade is to be made, to get that done before a lockout."

The Grizzlies have already discussed potential deals with teams. West wouldn't offer specifics but it is believed that guard Bonzi Wells has been a prominent figure in those trade talks.

"We've been talking to some teams," West said. "The (draft) lottery will have an awful lot to do with what some of the other teams will do.

"Teams will look at their position. They may get a duplicate player and be willing to talk about something (in a trade)."

Wells's departure is a sure bet. That the Griz will pass on his $8 million contract option for the 2005-06 campaign apparently isn't. The Griz may be inclined to pick up the option as one of many strictly business decisions the team will make.

The Griz have until July 1 to honor Wells's contract option or allow him to become an unrestricted free agent.

Although Wells struggled with injuries and performance, and had a public falling out with head coach Mike Fratello the veteran still has value. There are at least three teams willing to trade for Wells at $8 million.

Otherwise, the Griz would seek a sign-and-trade deal involving Wells and a long-term contract.

"We're examining everything," West said. "Everyone assumes we're not going to (pick up the option) but that's not the case at this point and time. We're contemplating what we need to do to try to improve our team.

"He's one of my favorite people on this team. He didn't have the kind of year he wanted last year and I know he got frustrated. But that's part of what makes professional athletes professional athletes."

Forward Stromile Swift and guard Earl Watson are also unrestricted free agents. Their futures with the Grizzlies aren't as clear, according to West. A sign-and-trade with those players is as possible as their return.

West, though, is working the phones. He's identified a nucleus and is looking to build around those players, who include Pau Gasol and Mike Miller.

"I've met with Mike (Fratello) about three different times about what we want," West said. "We have to be focused here, and he has expressed to me his needs. All of us feel we're on the same page.

"We're going to address some things during the draft and particularly if there's a chance for us to do something through a trade."

Draft workouts

The Griz conducted their second day of draft workouts with a combination of guards and forwards. Team executives and the coaching staff watched Kelenna Azubuike (6-5 junior guard from Kentucky), Julius Hodge (6-6 senior swingman from North Carolina State), Willie Jenkins (6-6 senior forward from Tennessee Tech) and Matt Walsh (6-7 junior forward from Florida).

"They're all guards," said Tony Barone Sr., the Grizzlies' director of player personnel. "Julius has got the ability to be a (point) guard, and at his size that's impressive. Matt and Willie and (Kelenna) are all (shooting guards) usually with maybe some (small forward) in them."

-- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353

Quote Originally Posted by BustedPants
    Terry Porter has possibilities? I might have looked over your reply quickly, but what do you mean?
    My bad. I meant Jason Terry.

I would, however, trade Bender for Terry Porter.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why don't we just get Heywood Workman to unretire and replace Tinsley.

Earl Watson, Carlis Arroyo, Eric Snow, Chucky Atkins. You guys have got to be freaking kidding. None of those guys are as good as Tinsley.

Yes he has been hurt the past 2 seasons, 2 seasons does not make a it a pattern IMO.

Most of the "trade Tinsley camp" are solely judging him on how he played against Detroit, forgetting he played very well against them in the regular season when he was healthy. People are totally dismissing that he was the best player we had for much of this season. We would have not even been in the second round if he hadn't came back for the Boston series.

He is also a base year compensation player, MEANS HE AIN"T GOING ANYWHERE.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    Yes he has been hurt the past 2 seasons, 2 seasons does not make a it a pattern IMO.
    It's more than 2 seasons.

2005 (Celts/Pistons) - hurt
    2004 (Celts/Heat/Pistons) - hurt
    2003 (Celts) - not hurt
    2002 (Nets) - hurt

3 seasons out of 4... that's a pattern.

But I still like Tinsley and hope we keep him. Even hurt, he was better than any of the guys named in this thread.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I agree that he's better. I just don't think he always keeps his head, an important quality in a floor leader, and I don't think he's a clutch shooter (he may be a clutch player, but not a shooter.) You can improve the floor leader thing. But I seriously doubt he can change the fact that he can't shoot all that reliably.

My belief is that if we were to pick up a GOOD point guard--although not as good as Tinsley--who can shoot well and stretch the defense and come up with big shots in the crunch time during the playoffs, then it makes the Pacers better. (Kind of an AJ with handles.) Tinsley may be the better point guard, but not the best point guard for making the Pacers a better team.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    My belief is that if we were to pick up a GOOD point guard--although not as good as Tinsley--who can shoot well and stretch the defense and come up with big shots in the crunch time during the playoffs
    Where do you suppose we find this mythical PG that we could trade for?

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"