Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,779

    Default Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    I don't have a link, but heard it on WIBC radio this morning.

    If MB can get that job that would be great for him, it is one of the better jobs in the NBA even if the new owner is a pain.


    Edit: here is a link.

    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...505240451/1088


    Associate head coach to interview with Cavs



    On his way out? Pacers associate head coach Mike Brown, talking with swingman Stephen Jackson (1), is in the mix as a potential head coach with the Cleveland Cavaliers. -- Matt Kryger / The Star

    Related links
    • Feedback: What is your favorite Reggie Miller moment?
    • Pacers message board
    • Ask the expert: Pacers reporter Mark Montieth
    Links to other web sites will open a new browser. IndyStar.com is not responsible for the content, accuracy or privacy practices of these sites.



    By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com


    Indiana Pacers associate head coach Mike Brown is scheduled to interview for the vacant Cleveland Cavaliers head coaching position today.

    The Cavaliers, who feature superstar LeBron James, wasted little time in contacting the Pacers about Brown. The Pacers' season ended Thursday with a 4-2 playoff series loss to the Detroit Pistons.

    Brown, 35, has spent the past two seasons as Rick Carlisle's top assistant. Brown's top priority is the Pacers' defense. The Pacers finished sixth in the league in points allowed at 92.2 a game this season.

    "He's been great for this organization," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. "He's one of the bright coaches out there. When you talk to him, you think he's in his 40s. He's a young coach that has the whole package."

    Former Minnesota coach Flip Saunders, who is from Cleveland, ex-Lakers coach Phil Jackson and ex-Golden State coach Eric Musselman also interviewed. Jackson told the Cavaliers he is not interested, and Saunders' price tag might be too high.

    Brown is considered a future head coach in the league. This is the second straight offseason he is interviewing for a head coaching position. He interviewed in Toronto and Atlanta last summer.

    Brown, along with Pacers forward Stephen Jackson, won a championship as an assistant with the San Antonio Spurs in 2003. He also spent time with Washington and Denver.

    Brown isn't the only member of the Pacers in the mix for a job with the Cavaliers.

    Pacers senior vice president of basketball operations David Morway is believed to be one of the leading candidates for the Cavaliers' general manager position. Morway is in his seventh season with the Pacers. He works closely with Walsh and president Larry Bird. Morway is responsible for the team's day-to-day administration and oversees the team's salary cap.

    Uniform design set

    Walsh said the franchise has settled on a new uniform design for next season, although no date has been set to reveal it.

    Walsh described the new look as similar to the current pin-striped model, but as being "a little more modern."

    The Pacers have worn the same uniform style since Bird's first season as coach (1997-98).

    Miller on Letterman

    Reggie Miller will make a guest appearance on "Late Show with David Letterman" tonight.

    Miller, who retired after 18 seasons with the Pacers, has made several appearances on the Indianapolis native's show throughout his career.

  2. #2
    Tim
    Guest

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    If he gets the backing of LeBron, the job is his and he should take it.

  3. #3
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he gets the backing of LeBron, the job is his and he should take it.
    Owner sounds like an ***. BIG red flag.

  4. #4
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,270
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Owner sounds like an ***. BIG red flag.


    YEah, that's the feeling I've gotten reading about him too.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    YEah, that's the feeling I've gotten reading about him too.
    Well, I'll agree - somewhat.

    It's his team and he certainly has the right to move people in and out as he wants to. I thought the timing was stupid this year though - could've waited until the offseason.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  6. #6
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    I'd rather Mike go coach the Hawks, why does he have to inherit LeBron.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  7. #7
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    IF Brown were to take this job it would be a serious loss for our coaching unit. I hope they don't take him, I want him to stay here!

    "Walsh described the new look as similar to the current pin-striped model, but as being "a little more modern."

    Similar to the pinstripes!!!

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  8. #8
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,151
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IF Brown were to take this job it would be a serious loss for our coaching unit. I hope they don't take him, I want him to stay here!

    "Walsh described the new look as similar to the current pin-striped model, but as being "a little more modern."

    Similar to the pinstripes!!!

    Regards,

    Mourning
    You believe Donnie Walsh??? If Donnie says they look similar, that means the uniforms are lime green poka dots against a red background.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  9. #9
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanInAZ
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You believe Donnie Walsh??? If Donnie says they look similar, that means the uniforms are lime green poka dots against a red background.
    Well ... call me old-fashioned naive than

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  10. #10
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,779

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    I take Walsh's comments to mean the color scheme will be the same but the pinstripes will be gone

  11. #11
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    Well I'm getting very curious either way, but I must say I love the pinstripes and didn't our uniform just got voted number one on NBA.com this year?

    I like change, but I would have rather had the Golden out and use that alternative jersey for some experimenting and see if people even like it. On the other hand that might not be such a good idea as the idea of the alternative is to bring in some other colours/schemes that we normally use, so we could play games against teams with colour uses and schemes that closely resemble ours without 2000000 turn overs occuring .

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  12. #12
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    I thought they didn't want a rookie head coach?

    I really hope Mike doesn't go to the Cavs. I don't want to lose him, and I don't want the Cavs to get him.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  13. #13
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    I hope Mike doesnt get the job

  14. #14
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,961

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    As much as I wish Mike would stay, that's too good of an opportunity for him.

    I still don't think Gilbert's smart enough to hire him, though.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  15. #15
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought they didn't want a rookie head coach?

    I really hope Mike doesn't go to the Cavs. I don't want to lose him, and I don't want the Cavs to get him.

    I heard that too. Maybe David Morway won't accept the GM position unless he gets to name the coach and he wants Mike.

    Under those circumstances if I was the owner and I really wanted Morway I would take a hard look at Mike.

  16. #16
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Under those circumstances if I was the owner and I really wanted Morway I would take a hard look at Mike.
    Depressingly, that's a situation I could totally believe.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  17. #17
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,700

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    yes and all the more reason for us to keep him and offer him the headcoach job when Rick leaves. (within the next 2 years according to LB)
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  18. #18
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    Quote Originally Posted by able
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yes and all the more reason for us to keep him and offer him the headcoach job when Rick leaves. (within the next 2 years according to LB)
    But we can't keep him if the Cavs snap him up this year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #19
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,779

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    I read that the Cavs only have 2 Million per year budgeted for a coach. That is not enough to get a coach with head coaching experience. So that is one reason why Brown has a really good chance at getting the job.

  20. #20
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,961

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read that the Cavs only have 2 Million per year budgeted for a coach. That is not enough to get a coach with head coaching experience. So that is one reason why Brown has a really good chance at getting the job.
    More and more it sounds like Gilbert is not someone I'd want to work for.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  21. #21
    Go Paytherth! rel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,821

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm got a link that says...

    "According to a source close to the search, Gilbert was impressed with Pacers associate head coach Mike Brown after his interview foe the Cavaliers' vacant coaching job earlier this week. But while he might have become a leaderin the search, things could change if Larry Brown comes aboard."

    Akron Beacon Jounal

    i would post the whole article, but you gotta be a member to see it

    ...so apparently hes the frontrunner, which really sucks and is kinda cool at the same time...

  22. #22
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,630

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    I hope Mike takes this one.

    We're going to lose him eventually. While I don't like seeing him in the same division, it seems like a good opportunity. The Cavs are good - hard not to be with LeBron - but still have some major holes. In other words, I think the opportunity is one where Mike can suceed, but not so good he have to worry about him kicking our butt year in and year out.

    But I'd rather he went to the T-Wolves. Same situation (have Superstar, need help) but they are out west.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  23. #23
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,779

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    Here is the whole article


    http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/11751779.htm


    Cavaliers remain in holding pattern

    Team expected to wait on Brown before filling other staff vacancies

    By Brian Windhorst

    Beacon Journal sports writer


    Until the Detroit Pistons finish their playoff run, the Cavaliers will likely remain grounded.

    Pistons coach Larry Brown is believed to be Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert's top choice to become his president of basketball operations. The team is expected to wait on Brown's answer before proceeding to fill general manager and head coach openings.

    According to a source close to the search, Gilbert was impressed with Pacers associate head coach Mike Brown after his interview for the Cavaliers' vacant coaching job earlier this week. But while he might have become a leader in the search, things could change if Larry Brown comes aboard.

    NBA insiders suggest that if he leaves the Pistons and chooses not to coach again, Larry Brown could look to former assistant John Calipari as a candidate to work for him as a coach in Cleveland.

    Calipari just completed his fifth season as the coach at the University of Memphis, where his teams have gone 115-55. He was on Larry Brown's staff at the University of Kansas and with the Philadelphia 76ers.

    He went 72-112 in two-plus seasons as coach and vice president of the New Jersey Nets from 1996-98, leading the team to the playoffs in 1998. He was also a successful coach at the University of Massachusetts.

    Calipari was traveling Thursday and unavailable for comment.

    He is signed with Memphis until 2010 but has been a candidate for other high-profile college jobs and NBA positions in recent years.

    Mike Brown, 35, is regarded as one of the brightest young coaching candidates in the league. A coach that makes defense his top priority is believed to be very important to Gilbert, and Mike Brown has a reputation as an excellent defensive coach. He also has some minor ties to Larry Brown, as he worked for one of his friends, Gregg Popovich, in San Antonio.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  24. #24
    Go Paytherth! rel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,821

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mike Brown to interview for Cavs job

    sweet...thanks UB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •