Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missed free throw the reason Reggie is retiring

Default Missed free throw the reason Reggie is retiring

This is fascinating.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...AL02/505250388

A reason to retire
    Simple missed free throw confirmed Miller's plan to walk away from the game.

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com

The moment of truth came Jan. 15, with 3.3 seconds left in a game against Orlando at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Reggie Miller stepped to the line for three free throws after drawing a foul on a 3-pointer. The Pacers trailed by three points. He had faced similar situations so many times before, and seemingly came through each time.

Not this one. He missed the first attempt. After hitting the second, he tried to miss the third to create a scoring opportunity off an offensive rebound, but scored again.

Miller shrugged off the odd turn of events after the loss. "I just missed it," he told reporters.

Several weeks later, however, he revealed that was the moment he decided to retire.

"I never thought that ever, ever, ever would happen," Miller said. "I thought, 'There's no way. This would never have happened before.' "

If Miller had hit that first free throw, would he be coming back next season?

"Maybe," he said. "Maybe."

Such irony. The seventh-ranked free throw shooter in NBA history based on percentage, and one of the game's greatest clutch shooters, based his decision to retire in part on a lone missed free throw.

The further irony is that Miller went on to win his fifth free throw title, with a career-best .933 percentage. Only Rick Barry and Bill Sharman led the league as many times. He hit a franchise-record 61 consecutive attempts from Feb. 5 through March 13, and later had a streak of 60.

Regardless of the impetus for his retirement, Miller's success over 18 seasons hinged on shot-making. His 3-pointers and all the drama that surrounded them, particularly in the playoffs, likely will stamp his ticket to the Hall of Fame. His foul shooting was just as influential on the outcome of games.

Miller is the NBA's all-time leader in 3-pointers made (2,560) and attempted (6,486). Some believe that mark is untouchable. The player with the best chance to catch him is Seattle's Ray Allen, who has hit 1,486 3-pointers in 3,742 attempts. Allen, who turns 30 in July, would have to hit an average of 154 3-pointers for seven more years to do so. He hit 209 last season, so health and desire will be determining factors.

It wasn't just the 3-pointers Miller hit that made a difference. The mere threat of them stretched defenses, created opportunities and helped get him to the foul line for all those virtual gimmes.

"They go hand in hand," Miller said. "With my 3-point shooting and my mid-range game, that sets up me going to the free throw line. You always want to make teams pay.

"I treat it like Deion Sanders," he said, referring to the NFL defensive back who forced opponents to throw away from his side of the field. "I like when I come off screens and three guys jump out at me. (That means) somebody else is open."

Miller's foul shooting didn't inspire as much drama as his 3-point shooting, but it probably affected as many games. He finished his career with 6,237 free throws in 7,026 attempts for a percentage of .888. He's as proud of the volume as he is the accuracy. Of the top 30 all-time foul shooters, nobody else took more than 4,471 (Larry Bird).

"It's not like I've shot two here or three there," Miller said. "I've shot a lot of them."

Miller owns another more obscure record that probably will have a longer survival rate than his 3-point marks. He converted 24 four-point plays in his career while drawing a foul on a 3-point shot, 10 more than the next-highest active player, Dirk Nowitzki.

It's not an official NBA statistic, but one of many niche marks kept by league historian Harvey Pollack. Miller, however, takes nearly as much pride in it as any of his other imprints on the record book.

He didn't get his first four-point play until his third NBA season, his second didn't come until his sixth season and he had just four heading into his 10th season. Over time, however, that infamous leg kick while releasing his shot duped opponents and referees alike and serves as a legacy for his gamesmanship.

"I love that one," he said.

Call Star reporter Mark Montieth at (317) 444-6406.

Default Re: Missed free throw the reason Reggie is retiring

Pretty remarkable when a story is based on how good you are at something that a miss would be such a determining factor.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

3ptmiller

Damn, i missed 4 freethrows in a row in a match i had yesterday (best FT shooter in my team)... should i quit!?

Mood

I'm confused why Reggie let this influence him. He missed a FT in a very similar situation in the Nets playoff series in 2002 Game 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm confused why Reggie let this influence him. He missed a FT in a very similar situation in the Nets playoff series in 2002 Game 5.
    Because as you get older, you start looking for signs to gauge how old you are getting. This was probably just the thing that sent him over the top and make his decision then. He'd still, most likely, have retired at the end of this year anyway (imho).

Hicks, haven't you ever made an important life decision where you've gone through every pro and con, you've thought it through completely, and you are 99% decided about what you are going to do, but you put the decision off and then a little thing hapens and then you are 100% certain and the fog is cleared and you move on.

It's happended a lot in my life just like that.

woman without a team

I remember a 2 or 3 game stretch this year where Reggie was missing a lot of free throws (for him at least). I kind of figured it would lead to him questioning if he still had it. That and the fact that he said after last year that he'd play one more year are the reasons I wasn't surprised when he said he would retire this year.

Man I really didn't need to hear that, thats kinda dissapointing. In a way though, I'm glad he missed it, that is so weird considering I am so tore up over him leaving that it makes me physcially sick everyday, but it's his time and his desicion, I finally get that.

I need to live my own life, and stop basing everything I do on the career of one man.

3ptmiller

Its just a basketball players worst nightmare, to grow older and lose something you were the best at... If i was Reggie i would decide to retire last year when he missed like 10-15 3PTers in a row, thats like a sign... it means you are not yourself anymore and you are changing...

Reggie had 18 seasons of Clutch shots, he KNOWS what he can do, he KNOWS what shots and how many he can swisch when the game is on the line...

One example is actually the last seconds of Game 6, when he missed those last two 3PT shots... He knows that if he was in his Prime days he would have more vertical leap and released that shot over Ben Wallace without geting blocked and that last 3PT shot he missed, he was wide Open and he missed it... that shot was little further from the 3PT Line, but YES, he would have hit it!

Why do u guys think afterwards he had that weird look in his face while looking down on the floor and shaking his head before Tayshuan Prince came to clap him on the back? Because his career was over? NO.... think again.

ImCrazyB

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    Its just a basketball players worst nightmare, to grow older and lose something you were the best at... If i was Reggie i would decide to retire last year when he missed like 10-15 3PTers in a row, thats like a sign... it means you are not yourself anymore and you are changing...

Reggie had 18 seasons of Clutch shots, he KNOWS what he can do, he KNOWS what shots and how many he can swisch when the game is on the line...

One example is actually the last seconds of Game 6, when he missed those last two 3PT shots... He knows that if he was in his Prime days he would have more vertical leap and released that shot over Ben Wallace without geting blocked and that last 3PT shot he missed, he was wide Open and he missed it... that shot was little further from the 3PT Line, but YES, he would have hit it!

Why do u guys think afterwards he had that weird look in his face while looking down on the floor and shaking his head before Tayshuan Prince came to clap him on the back? Because his career was over? NO.... think again.
    Haha,

You honestly think Reggie could have heaved it up over Ben Wallace when he was right there in his face? He had that face on because after he missed it, He realized it was his last game.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    I remember a 2 or 3 game stretch this year where Reggie was missing a lot of free throws (for him at least). I kind of figured it would lead to him questioning if he still had it. That and the fact that he said after last year that he'd play one more year are the reasons I wasn't surprised when he said he would retire this year.
    I remember - didn't he go like 8 of 16 - right before he started the 61 in a row streak?

I never thought we'd see a stretch like that from Reggie - going 10 of 12 in a game's bad for him.

I had no idea what he was planning until Sager made his "unapproved" announcement. I'll say this though - it's nice to see a guy go out when he still has some game.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by ImCrazyB
    Haha,

You honestly think Reggie could have heaved it up over Ben Wallace when he was right there in his face? He had that face on because after he missed it, He realized it was his last game.
    Sure he could "heave" it up over Ben Wallace... didnt u see the block? Ben almost missed the ball, he jumped as high as he could and stretched out his monkey arm as high as he could and just touched the ball with his fingers... now lets see, how long is a ben wallace finger? 3 inches maybe?

The point is if Reggie had his vertical leap from 1987-2000 he could manage to "heave" it over him... Then he missed another open 3pt shot right? Cmon man, prime Reggie used to hit clutch shots with that many attempts he had last seconds on Game 6 and the game winning miss he had against Celtics.. its like a layup for him

Thats one thing to why he is retiring aswell, but he is a classy guy and he will joke about it but will never say that it is the one of his reasons to why he is retiring...

And he had that look in his Face because he knows he can not hit that shot so often anymore because he is----> (look at my avatar).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    Sure he could "heave" it up over Ben Wallace... didnt u see the block? Ben almost missed the ball, he jumped as high as he could and stretched out his monkey arm as high as he could and just touched the ball with his fingers... now lets see, how long is a ben wallace finger? 3 inches maybe?

The point is if Reggie had his vertical leap from 1987-2000 he could manage to "heave" it over him... Then he missed another open 3pt shot right? Cmon man, prime Reggie used to hit clutch shots with that many attempts he had last seconds on Game 6 and the game winning miss he had against Celtics.. its like a layup for him

Thats one thing to why he is retiring aswell, but he is a classy guy and he will joke about it but will never say that it is the one of his reasons to why he is retiring...

And he had that look in his Face because he knows he can not hit that shot so often anymore because he is----> (look at my avatar).
    You're acting like Reggie never missed a potential game winner from years 1987 to 2000. I hate to be the bubble burster, but Reggie missed more than he made. Just like every great clutch shooter does.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    You're acting like Reggie never missed a potential game winner from years 1987 to 2000. I hate to be the bubble burster, but Reggie missed more than he made. Just like every great clutch shooter does.

I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this.....

Yeah - he missed so many in the '99 ECF that for the first time I quit cringing when he got the ball outside.

This led to me thinking he was almost through - a delusion I carried with me until the 1st rd of the 2000 playoffs.

3ptmiller

No i aint acting, its you that misunderstood me... i know that he missed more, i have watched him since 1990... I said Reggie used to hit more clutch shots with that many attempts he had last seconds on example Game 6 and the game winning misses he had against Celtics.. its like a layup for him (well at least it he was in his prime years)... If he was at his Prime in these playoffs, please dont tell me u dont think he would hit at least some of those 14 Attempts from 3PT line? Reggie was .427% in his Prime and even better performance in playoffs, today he was like .300% and .200% in the Playoffs?... and Reggie knew this ofcourse.

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Yeah - he missed so many in the '99 ECF that for the first time I quit cringing when he got the ball outside.

This led to me thinking he was almost through - a delusion I carried with me until the 1st rd of the 2000 playoffs.
    Yea exactly, at least you understood me... I meant that he have never missed so many 3PT Attempts (even wide open), in last 30 seconds of a game before 99 ECF. That day i knew that Reggie was slowly getting old and that it was gona get worse maybe...
    Those potential game winners prime Reggie missed was usually one 3PT attempt, lots lots lots of buzzer beaters... if he got one more chance and a wide open look again then YES, he would have hit it (he shot like 40-50%)... first one is miss, next one Swisch...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's nuts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

what exactly is the debate here, anwyay?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I was at that game, that was a real let-down when he missed that.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    That's nuts.
    Whats nuts?

I remmember this too, Christie fouls Reggie on the 3, Reggie going to the line for 3 FT's and I tell my dad well this game is over Reggie is about to hit these and we are out of here. Reggie steps on the line and misses the first damn FT, I couldnt belive it.

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this,I'm not hearing this.....

You want something really disturbing? You could make the case that both years we lost to the Pistons, Reggie getting blocked was the most important play of the series.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    You want something really disturbing? You could make the case that both years we lost to the Pistons, Reggie getting blocked was the most important play of the series.
    Argument's a lot stronger for last year. (Do I want to go here? Oh, what the heck). This year the most important play was probably on November 19.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Argument's a lot stronger for last year. (Do I want to go here? Oh, what the heck). This year the most important play was probably on November 19.
    Fair enough. I meant in the playoffs.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!