Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 151

Thread: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

  1. #26
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,371

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Let's not kid ourselves here.....this is a chance for the Lakers to get another 1st round draft pick ( a 17th pick ) in exchange for players that the Lakers don't really need ( George/Slava/Cook ).

    On top of that....they take on the gamble that the Pacers have been sitting on for years by taking on Bender's contract.

    I have always said......any GM that voluntarily takes Bender off of our hands should either be fired or questioned as to WHY he is doing it. I'm beginning to wonder if the Pacers should backup off of this and keep both Bender and the 17th pick.

    Although this year's draft doesn't yield a "Sure fire" pick....I think its deep enough where the Pacers ( even at tht 17th pick ) can draft a solid backup PF/SF player that can actually pan out.

  2. #27
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    This trade doesn't help us, but it probably won't hurt us either.

    If Bender pans out (unlikely) then its a horrible trade. If they get a good solid player with the 17th pick (somewhat likely) its a bad trade.

    We know what we are getting with George, a guy who is an inconsistent player, can shoot the three, had a couple good weeks with the Lakers and has been overrated since.

    Brian Cook isn't a bad player, but he certainly isn't better then Jeff Foster. Slava, I don't know too much about, but I'm not exactly thrilled with him either

    I'd rather save Bender to be a part of a trade that would help the team more.

    I certainly don't expect to see him in a Pacers uniform next year whether he's traded or not.

    If he isn't traded we'll see him sitting on the Pacers bench in his normal spot with a suit on.

  3. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Brian Cook is the player Bender would have been if he'd stayed healthy. So just from that swap you have a steal being as one has shown he can stay on the floor.

    If George is healthy he'll make an excellent 2/3 backup. More of a steal.

    Medvedenko won't help you and will probably be let go.

    Losing the pick hurts because this year's draft is so deep but like the old saying goes, you have to give up something to, er, uh, give up something really bad.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  4. #29
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    I think the saying is "if you wanna make an omlette, you've gotta break some eggs"

    And, I think Bender is a lot more athletic then Cook I prefer a healthy Bender over a healthy Cook.

  5. #30
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,737

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    You trade a #17 for the black Croshere, and Devin George?

    If it was just bender, this would be ok. But throwing in that pick in a very deep draft is a bad idea.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  6. #31
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,158

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    I think something else is up besides this trade. With expiring contracts
    totalling 8 million from the LA players and Pollards 6 million that is
    14 million. Also you have Crosheres 10 million coming off in 2 years.
    It is possible this trade is to clear space for another player in trade
    ie Ray Allen and/or for the Pacers to sign James Jones and increase
    the financial health of the Pacers. The second option is not going to help
    that much toward winning a championship.

    owl

  7. #32
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,621

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by owl
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The second option is not going to help
    that much toward winning a championship.
    Agreed. That's why I don't like this trade if there isn't more to it.

    Any moves this summer should be geared toward turning our "maybe they could win a championship team" to a "how the !#$!@#$ are we going to beat the Pacers now" team.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  8. #33
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    This trade can't hurt our chances at a title, it might help it though. Since that is the case, hell yes do a trade that helps you down the line. It's a good move for us beyond this year, in fact moreso than it helps now.

    Also, I'd forget the Brian Cook stuff. I mean, who knows, but my money is on us getting Slava instead. We get more money off the books, LA keeps the best player in the deal.

  9. #34

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    As much as I loathe having Slavo on our roster I'm OK with it. The 17th pick is a bit high for me but If you feel that a healthy and full Pacer roster makes us contenders we don't need Bender or the 17th pick and are getting finacial flexablity.

    It has to be a deal for free up a move at mid year or looking at next summer.

  10. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the saying is "if you wanna make an omlette, you've gotta break some eggs"

    And, I think Bender is a lot more athletic then Cook I prefer a healthy Bender over a healthy Cook.
    Why do you think Bender's more athletic than Cook?

    He can jump higher - or could before his legs started falling off. Cook has more lateral quickness, is a better ballhandler and a better shooter (at least from long range).

    If jumping=athleticism I'll agree but IMO athleticism includes a lot more than that.

    IMO, if Bender had gone to college he'd have been exposed for what he is - a 7-footer with great leaping ability and a nice shot who isn't athletic enough to play on the perimeter or strong enough to play in the post.

    Cook fits that description except for he isn't the leaper but he's a better ballhandler. And he was drafted about 25, which is about where JB would have gone if he'd played college.

    Both are capable of being decent backups (except Bender will probably never be healthy). Neither has the kind of game to really flourish in the NBA.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  11. #36
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As much as I loathe having Slavo on our roster I'm OK with it. The 17th pick is a bit high for me but If you feel that a healthy and full Pacer roster makes us contenders we don't need Bender or the 17th pick and are getting finacial flexablity.

    It has to be a deal for free up a move at mid year or looking at next summer.
    Exactly. We either get a lot of money off the books, or look at it another way: We would have 3 big bargaining chips for a deadline trade: Scot's expiring contract, George's expiring contract, and Slava's expiring contract. Joe Dumars showed how those can sell like hotcakes.

  12. #37
    PacersFan
    Guest

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    I really don't like giving up the 17 pick because unless we have another season like this, this is the highest pick we're gonna have for some time. You can really get some good talent with the 17th pick, esp. in a draft as deep as this. Even though we may need to get rid of Bender, I don't think getting rid of the 17th pick is a good idea.

  13. #38
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,059
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Look if we get the three second round picks, we could trade them all to a team for a good 1st round pick if we wanted to.

    Memphis at 19 was mentioned, but in my opinion it's great to have three 2nd round picks.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  14. #39
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,406

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A: Well, its hard to be frustrated with Jonathan because he has some serious knee injuries. Will he come back? Hes doing great right now. He has no pain; hes working out very hard. Hes just as frustrated as anyone. Hes a great talent hes just got to stay healthy to help us out.
    That line is becoming as annual as Christmas.

  15. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,133

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't like giving up the 17 pick because unless we have another season like this, this is the highest pick we're gonna have for some time. You can really get some good talent with the 17th pick, esp. in a draft as deep as this. Even though we may need to get rid of Bender, I don't think getting rid of the 17th pick is a good idea.
    This is my thinking as well. Pacers aren't likely to have a better draft pick for awhile. I'd give up a future lottery-protected first and Bender for George and Slava. George is good insurance (he was a starter for a NBA Finals team in 2004) in case Artest pulls an Artest.

    Another thing is the distraction factor. Ron Artest is distraction enough for 3 or 4 teams, let alone one. Bender's health issues are another distraction, and the Pacers simply have to get rid of every distraction possible if they plan on keeping Ron Artest.

  16. #41
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly. We either get a lot of money off the books, or look at it another way: We would have 3 big bargaining chips for a deadline trade: Scot's expiring contract, George's expiring contract, and Slava's expiring contract. Joe Dumars showed how those can sell like hotcakes.
    Hicks, now you're starting to think like a GM/businessman. I'm impressed.

    This actually would be a brilliant move because there are so many question marks going into next season. The trading deadline will be the optimal time to make any necessary changes, especially when it comes to this team. By then, we'll have a pretty good idea what we need to do to make a serious run for the title.

  17. #42
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,968

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hicks, now you're starting to think like a GM/businessman. I'm impressed.

    This actually would be a brilliant move because there are so many question marks going into next season. The trading deadline will be the optimal time to make any necessary changes, especially when it comes to this team. By then, we'll have a pretty good idea what we need to do to make a serious run for the title.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  18. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersFan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really don't like giving up the 17 pick because unless we have another season like this, this is the highest pick we're gonna have for some time. You can really get some good talent with the 17th pick, esp. in a draft as deep as this. Even though we may need to get rid of Bender, I don't think getting rid of the 17th pick is a good idea.
    But what do you need? If you could get a center with that I agree with you but when you look everywhere else you're two-deep. Really you're two-deep at C too - you'd just like the quality to be higher.

    I don't see the point in picking someone who'll ride the bench for 2-3 years because of all the players in front of him - especially when you'd end up with a bunch of ending contracts you could make a Rasheed Wallace/Vince Carter-type deal with.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  19. #44

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    None of those players interest me AT ALL.

    Bender and a 1st? This makes no sense to me. Can someone explain why we would do this? Is it just to clear out Bender's contract?

    I agree
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  20. #45
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by aceace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree
    Um, read the last few posts before yours if you don't understand why we would do this.

  21. #46
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,968

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But what do you need? If you could get a center with that I agree with you but when you look everywhere else you're two-deep. Really you're two-deep at C too - you'd just like the quality to be higher.

    I don't see the point in picking someone who'll ride the bench for 2-3 years because of all the players in front of him - especially when you'd end up with a bunch of ending contracts you could make a Rasheed Wallace/Vince Carter-type deal with.
    100% aggree! We are more than deep enough. IF we do make a trade we do it to either get expiring contracts, which could be used as bargaining chips later in the season or as cap relief OR we do it in a quantity for quality sense.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  22. #47

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    George is in his last year at 5M
    Medvedenko also last year at 3M
    Brian Cook is starting his 2nd year 865,000

    Bender makes 7.1 next and 7.8 after that
    Pick 17 gets roughly 1M

    IMHO we are doing this for Cooks contract relatively cheap with player upside he was 24th pick last year and also 2 expiring contracts that can be traded.

    This will give us 3 expiring contracts as bait total 14 million.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  23. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,133

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You trade a #17 for the black Croshere, and Devin George?

    If it was just bender, this would be ok. But throwing in that pick in a very deep draft is a bad idea.
    Black Croshere?

    I've always thought Bender was the reincarnation of Brad Sellers personally.

  24. #49
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    For the record, I love this deal. I thought we should have made a run at Medvedenko last year.

    Slava is the perfect (and cheap) match to JO... another offensive threat who requires attention wherever he is on the floor and will prohibit an easy double team of JO!

    Matching up salary wise though, how would this work? Bender and a 1st round pick for Medvedenko AND Cook? or George and Cook?

    Either way, this would be great because we really don't need a new prospect and we have done pretty well at selecting good players in the 2nd round anyway!

  25. #50
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,173

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

    For the love of God, please...NO! Medvedenko, George, and Cook all SUCK COLOSSAL ***. I would rather pay Bender to sit on the bench.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •