Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bender to Lakers getting closer?

A source in LA says Jonathan Bender will be in LA on Friday for a physical. Its reported this is a step in finalizing a Bender and pick #17 to Lakers trade.

According to the report Devean George , Slava Medvedenko or Brian Cook and either 2-#2's in 2005 or a #2 in 2005 and a future #1 will come to the Pacers.

I'd think if this is true we should hear something very soon.

The Lakers currently have picks 37 and 39 in the 2nd round.

Default Re: Bender to Lakers getting closer?

"A source in LA"

Can you be any more specific. Is this a source of yours or a third hand source.

if this trade does take place, it makes me nervous. Even though I've given up on Bender because of injuries, if he can ever get healthy and stay healthy, then this trade would be a disaster. But what are the chances of hm staying healthy - 5%?

Mood

Its source with a tie to the Lakers. Beyond that I'll go no farther, Kupchak's intrest is pick 17 he has his eye on a very young player. Lakers are also working on a deal to acquire the Grizlies pick at #19. At this time Grizzlies are considering moving it for either cash or cash and a future #1.

Pacers according to him are becoming a little more reluctant to give up pick 17 , this deal has been on the table for awhile.

I'll say it...a healthy Bender is very scary. I know that the chances of him staying healthy are very slim, but he's an unbelievable scorer when he actually gets healthy and plays.
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

Even if Bender is healthy sometime, he isn't that great of a player.

I don't like giving up on #17, though... but I guess having three second round picks this year wouldn't be too bad, if they don't stick, we don't need to keep them.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Do we want George and either Medvedenko or Cook. Don't we have players who are somewhat similar. Cook is a pretty good shooter, and so is Medvedenko.

I want Cook. I think we could use his shooting.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo

I dont care of Bender gets healthy in L.A. No matter how healthy he would ever be the only real chance he had of getting minutes on this team were this year. He is not going to play over Jermaine or Ron so we dont need him.

I dont think his skills are going to be all that great even if he is healthy. The more important question is how can we trade one guy for three? We have only one open spot with Reggie leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont care of Bender gets healthy in L.A. No matter how healthy he would ever be the only real chance he had of getting minutes on this team were this year. He is not going to play over Jermaine or Ron so we dont need him.

I dont think his skills are going to be all that great even if he is healthy. The more important question is how can we trade one guy for three? We have only one open spot with Reggie leaving.

Really we're trading two for two.

Bender and the 17th pick (first round picks are guaranteed). Pacers are getting george and either Cook or Med not both, and the second round picks are not guaranteed, they can be cut

None of those players interest me AT ALL.

Bender and a 1st? This makes no sense to me. Can someone explain why we would do this? Is it just to clear out Bender's contract?
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Now, Bender + Foster + #17 for Odom works or is pretty close to working. But I don't think there's any way LA does that unless they are very, very down on Odom.

If that one happens, I'll be dancing in the street.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Now, Bender + Foster + #17 for Odom works or is pretty close to working. But I don't think there's any way LA does that unless they are very, very down on Odom.

If that one happens, I'll be dancing in the street.
    You guys don't need more small forwards.

I don't think the Pacers want another young player, especially one that would fall to 17th. And God knows it is time to cut the strings on this Bender experiment.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    You guys don't need more small forwards.
    If we got Odom, I would expect somebody else to get moved, i. e. Ron. Actually, I though that any Odom trade would be Ron+Jeff for Odom. But I'm wondering if Ron *is* in the mix and we are looking at Ron+Jon for Odom...

- Jimmy Buffett

I'd also consider that ANY players we would get would be more marketable overall than Bender and so there could be another team involved. Maybe we aren't keeping who'd we'd theoretically be getting from LA?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I don't oppose this trade, but if Rick doesn't use our new "assets" during the regular season to limit the wind and tear on our starters and 6th player than what, except for injuries occuring and a modest salarydump at the end of next season, exactly is the use of beying this deep?

If Rick acually does this to limit the minutes of our top players in the regular season I think the trade is "ok".

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

foretaz

if they do this deal...it would make foster a bit more expendable...

Mood

I like this deal. We don't really need another rookie right now. This rids us of the Bender experiment. And what I think many forget or don't realize is, Devean George and Slava Medvedenko are on the last years of their contracts going into next season, just like Scot Pollard.

According to Hoopshype's salaries, if we did swap Bender for those two, we'd save $850,000 right off the bat, and then of course both contracts (totaling $7,950,000) go off the books in a year.

A #17 pick is a small price to pay to get rid of Bender and get two expiring contracts in return. Not to mention two players who for this year might actually contribute something.

I think it's a great trade for us.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I like this deal. We don't really need another rookie right now. This rids us of the Bender experiment. And what I think many forget or don't realize is, Devean George and Slava Medvedenko are on the last years of their contracts going into next season, just like Scot Pollard.

According to Hoopshype's salaries, if we did swap Bender for those two, we'd save $850,000 right off the bat, and then of course both contracts (totaling $7,950,000) go off the books in a year.

A #17 pick is a small price to pay to get rid of Bender and get two expiring contracts in return. Not to mention two players who for this year might actually contribute something.

Reggie Millers contract would come off then too.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with Hicks on this. This trade doesn't thrill me, on a 10 scale I'm about a 7. But I think this is the best we're going to get for Bender. I don't know a whole lot about these players, but I do know Bender. So.....I'm for it.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Harmonica

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks

Yep. It's a good business move.

Sports Logo

I am willint to trade the 17th pick to dump Bender I think that is a good move. Now add Jeff to the mix and I am not happy.

Mood

Jeff Foster is not part of any mix with the Lakers. So relax for now Ragnar .

I just don't see this. The Pacers are close to desperate for some front line scoring that isn't named Jermaine. We've got some decent big guys but scoring isn't part of 2-3 of those guys games. We must get more scorers.
    Bender CAN be that guy. IF they haven't given up on him. I've not read anything (other than on this bb) that suggests they have. He would have had AL's 6th man role this year. I find it hard to believe they'd dump him for not much 1 season later.
    Nobody here has the slightest idea what the brass think of JB and if they are ready to give up on him FOR REAL or just internet rumor.
    The guy's 24 years old and just grown into his true 7' body. Whether or not he ever stays healthy remains to be seen. But he's no longer a twig, and if not for the leg problem he would have played big minutes this year. Ahead of JJ, Hulk, etc
    We VERY much need a new rising player. Especially a forward that can score.
    Not getting them out of that trade.
    So I think he gets 1 more year.
    JMO

From: http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_...pt_050524.html

Q: Is Jonathan Bender going to be able to play next year, and has his situation frustrated you?

A: Well, itís hard to be frustrated with Jonathan because he has some serious knee injuries. Will he come back? Heís doing great right now. He has no pain; heís working out very hard. Heís just as frustrated as anyone. Heís a great talent heís just got to stay healthy to help us out. Thereís not much you can do when a playerís injured. If theyíre hurt, theyíre hurt. Jonathan wants to play as bad as anyone, but right now, since he hasnít played much in the last two years, I really donít count on him. Itís just sort of a wait-and-see thing and hopefully he can get over the hump and next year he can really help us.

I know we can all read into that whatever we want, but he didn't sound too optimistic to me.

- Jimmy Buffett