Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pistons are now rolling along

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pistons are now rolling along

I think we're trying to say the same thing. Which is simply that the cushion the Pacers appear to have when looking at full-season records and standings isn't as meaningful because the Nets have no longer quit on their coach and the Pistons might be going somewhere as presently configured. I guess I just don't get the "not really." part of your post - maybe it isn't directed at me.
    Well, we have the cushion, and it's certainly meaningful. And teams make adjustments all the time. They don't change the standings based on what the team's record should or might be.
    Right, but to make the argument (and I'm not saying you or Hicks is doing this but I think others are) that because we were able to build a huge lead over different versions of the Detroit and Jersey teams in the past that we *must* be better than (or *shouldn't* worry about) the current version of those teams is foolish.

Said another way, and I'm not saying they'll beat us, but we aren't 3-0 against the current Pistons.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

The Pistons are a legitimate threat, and I'll be even more worried if they get through the Nets. But we do have the #1 record in the NBA for a reason.
    We have the #1 record in the NBA for many reasons, but one of those reasons is that we've had our current version of the team/ coach together all season.

I believe we don't have as big of a cushion if you exclude games before Jersey changes coaches and Detroit picks up 'Sheed. So comparing the current Pacers to the combined Byron Scott/ Larry Frank Nets or pre-and-post-'Sheed Pistons could also be the cause of a false sense of security.
    Not really. The Nets had or were quitting on Byron Scott, and the pre-Sheed Pistons weren't going to get too far as-were.
    I think we're trying to say the same thing. Which is simply that the cushion the Pacers appear to have when looking at full-season records and standings isn't as meaningful because the Nets have no longer quit on their coach and the Pistons might be going somewhere as presently configured. I guess I just don't get the "not really." part of your post - maybe it isn't directed at me.
    I thought you were implying we wouldn't have this big or "meaningful" of a cushion if they hadn't switched coaches/made trades.

Said another way, and I'm not saying they'll beat us, but we aren't 3-0 against the current Pistons.

I agree with that.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

The Pistons are a legitimate threat, and I'll be even more worried if they get through the Nets. But we do have the #1 record in the NBA for a reason.
    We have the #1 record in the NBA for many reasons, but one of those reasons is that we've had our current version of the team/ coach together all season.

I believe we don't have as big of a cushion if you exclude games before Jersey changes coaches and Detroit picks up 'Sheed. So comparing the current Pacers to the combined Byron Scott/ Larry Frank Nets or pre-and-post-'Sheed Pistons could also be the cause of a false sense of security.
    Not really. The Nets had or were quitting on Byron Scott, and the pre-Sheed Pistons weren't going to get too far as-were.
    I thought you were implying we wouldn't have this big or "meaningful" of a cushion if they hadn't switched coaches/made trades.
    Nope. But occasionally (?) I post something that only makes sense to me.

I agree with that.
    But I see that I found a more effective way to say it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Though I can understand the talk about Pistons improvement, which is a fact, I am still more then sure that we can beat them in a series, we simply have the better team, it is the talk about the Nets that is starting to "P" me off.

ok, so Frank came in and went 13 - 0 WTG!

who cares ?

he did so against maninly inferior opposition, ones we blew out of their own and our building with at least as much gusto, we simply did not have the "good fortune" to face them all in a row.

Since then they went 3 - 4 with and without Kidd, now lemme see, we played without Ron, without JO and without "others" in our line-up, and what is our record again?

We are now what something like 9 games ahead of them?

even if the Nets play their strongest line-up we would still beat them in a series, no matter what.

Worry about the Pistons? if you want, be my guest, but weed played on another team and he was not much of a factor in our game against them, we lost that one in OT and it was Randolph who torched us, but it was a more then winnable game.

Kstat has a right to be turning with the wind of change on his team, he has a right to be happy and the right to be over confident, he has to pick himself up however if we meet and when we whoop their arses.

Yes i respect the Pistons, but that doesn't mean i stop respecting the Pacers, do you really think that "rent a reefer Wallace" all of a sudden makes the Pistons a contender and a better team then the Pacers?

Tenacious D? great but you need offense to to win a game, and I assume that comes from Ben nowadays? or is weed gonna blow by JO?
    Aahhh of course that is why he (sheed) was on the All Star team and will get a "max" contract at the end of the year.

So they have few good players, but sorry, wanna really compare line-ups?

Foster has no problems with the offense from BW.
    JO has sheeds for breakfast every day of the week
    Ron picks his teeth with the likes of Prince,
    and has anybody seen Tins play lately ????

Naw I will leave the bench on the bench, though half our bench would still have fun with their starters, sorry, but I am not impressed.

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

However having said that I will do something I make it a point to never do.

I will agree with Bulletproof.

I might take this as a compliment if it weren't so back-handed. You make it a point not to agree with me? What theó?

Can someone please change the title of this thread to...

[size=24:fe14b21261]Pacers are now rolling along[/size]

6 in a row. 9-1 in our last 10.

Pistons? 3 in a row. 7-3 in their last 10. ed:

[size=24:25c7872c30]Pacers are now rolling along[/size]

I kind of like "15-3 since dropping consecutive games for the only time this season"....
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo

[size=24:7fa3a39653]Pacers are now rolling along[/size]

I kind of like "15-3 since dropping consecutive games for the only time this season"....
    Actually we lost two in a row twice.

[size=24:c431661354]Pacers are now rolling along[/size]

Actually we lost two in a row twice.
    Whoops. I was in Florida on vacation at the time, so that part of the season is a bit hazy.....Not much Pacers coverage to be had down there......

And that's still pretty impressive......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

One of the most overblown and essentially meaningless stat sis the head-to-head record. The media always makes a huge deal out of it when the two teams play in a playoff series and it is meaningless, I put no stock into it.

There are so many variables during the regular season that skews results of certain games, and those variables simply do not exist in the playoffs.

So if and when the Pacers play the Pistons in the playoffs and the Pacers are either 3-1 or 4-0 against them in the regular season, I won't put any stock in that record, none. It tells me nothing as it pertains to the playoff series.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Granted the Pacers aren't 3-0 against the current Pistons, but I suggest that this isn't the same Pacers team as before the all star break. This team has evolved over the season, look at the starting PG as an example. When Artest was out, Freddie Jones and Bender stepped up. They are now playing a more prominent role in things than before the injury. Croshere is seeing time when needed, as is Kenny Anderson. I've been amazed at how this team has been able to consistently use 12 guys.

I disagree with those that say this team's bench won't be a benefit because the rotations are tighter in the playoffs. I think Carlisle's staff has figured out when and where to use each player. Most NBA teams don't go 12 deep during the regular season and most don't go more than 8 deep during the playoffs. I expect that the Pacers will buck that trend. I think they may only go 9 or 10 deep during a particular series, but the last 3 or 4 will vary depending on what matchups they have.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin