Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistons are now rolling along

Default Re: Pistons are now rolling along

They have NO ONE who can guard Jermaine O'Neal.
    Mark it on your calendar -- I am agreeing with something New Yawk said. Probably never happen again.

However, his assertion could be made with reference to 26 of the other 27 teams in the NBA -- the only forward out there who can defend succesfully against JO is KG.

You're right, we probably dont hae one Wallace that can stop JO. But We do have TWO Wallaces that I think can keep him down.....
    Oh, but can you stop Jamison Brewer
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BRING IN DARKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's scored in 3 straight games...look out WORLD!

Am I the only one that finds the "we want Darko" chants in EVERY SINGLE NBA ARENA in garbage time to be utterly hialrious? Darko's become a clut figure....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

BRING IN DARKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's scored in 3 straight games...look out WORLD!

Am I the only one that finds the "we want Darko" chants in EVERY SINGLE NBA ARENA in garbage time to be utterly hialrious? Darko's become a clut figure....

I am not dismissive of the Pistons at all. Any Larry Brown coached team bothers me when we have to go against them.

However having said that I will do something I make it a point to never do.

I will agree with Bulletproof.

I want no part of the N.O. Hornets. Sometimes in life there are just certain teams that for whatever reason match up well against you & N.O. is just one of those for us.

I would not feel very comfortable playing against them.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

There's something I feel needs considered/debated here. IMHO, the upper echelon teams aren't separated by all that much. Judging the season by a head to head game here and there probably won't mean the same when the playoffs come around. Coaching and the player's ability to stay in the program will come into play. Coaches will be more focused on ONE opponent and not the season as a whole.

Intensity should increase.

Detroit has coaching and they set out to minimize their weakness(es) (if not overcome them) against us.

NO's is scary because they can steal an early game because they do create problems for the Pacers. The Pacers need to hold home court and try and get at least one in NO... if the teams should meet.

But, you also have to think coaching can come into play here. That is why I consider Detroit even scarier. On paper they are better than before. This isn't the same team we've beaten. They've tweaked their lineup deciding not to stand pat. They have SOLID coaching. Those early losses probably will help fuel the flames of this budding rivalry.

We have an Achilles heel. Can Carlisle minimize it in a 7 game series? Can Brown exploit it? Can Carlisle find a similar hole in the Pistons' armor? The Pacers vs the Pistons in the ECF's would probably be a basketball junky's dream... unless you have a vested interest in one of the teams. (NOTE: Unless you prefer 360 dunks and a scorefest made for ESPN Sportscenter).

It doesn't thrill me that we stood pat at the trading deadline tho I understand it. We will be the known commodity.

-Bball

EDIT: I should add... The Pacers best not be standing around waiting for Reggie to save them at the first sign of trouble either. They do that and things could get sour quickly. We'll be watching some other team going to the finals if they do that.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Artestaholic

I do wish we would've done that Harrington-4-Dampier deal. I think Bender will be a better player than Harrigton. He just has more of a freak body and is nearly unguardable.
    Dampier/O'Neal would make the Wallace's look like Steven Hunter/Andrew DeClerq

NewYawk

Um, yes, ok......

Writerman part II: return of baghdad bob........NewYawk strikes back....
    I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't compare me to that guy. I don't compare you to dog*****, and I'd appreciate you extendign the same courtesy.

I am all for you being gung ho about your team. You're, without question, one of the most homer posters I've read. That said, anyone with an objective (or even slightly objective) viewpoint sees the Pistons are simply not as good as Indy. The only advantage they have is in the backcourt, but it isn't much of an advantage because Reggie Miller (unlike Chauncey Billips or Hamilton) can take over a game... even at the 38. Ben Wallace and Rasheed are bad low post defenders, and neither of them can score in the post. Big, BIG disadvantage when playing a physical, low post scoring team like Indy, especially in the playoffs.

I respect Detroit, and the Pacer players clearly respect them. However, as a fan (aka someone who watches the games and does not play in them) I fully expect Indy to wipe the floor with Detroit, and just about any other Eastern Conference team. Make no mistake, Indy SHOULD WALK THROUGH the Eastern Conference. Anything less would be a disappointment. Isiah Thomas was fired becasue he couldn't the PAcers to the next level. Carlisle is here to do just that because Indy has the most overall talent of any team in the league right now. It's Rick's job to have this team blast through this pathetic conference and represent the East in the Finals. I expect that. It SHOULD happen. Whether or not it will is up to the players.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That said, anyone with an objective (or even slightly objective) viewpoint sees the Pistons are simply not as good as Indy.

The only advantage they have is in the backcourt, but it isn't much of an advantage because Reggie Miller (unlike Chauncey Billips or Hamilton) can take over a game... even at the 38

Ben Wallace and Rasheed are bad low post defenders, and neither of them can score in the post.
    You forgot to wave your hands around and say, "these arent the droids you're looking for...."

Make no mistake, Indy SHOULD WALK THROUGH the Eastern Conference.....
    Carlisle is here to do just that because Indy has the most overall talent of any team in the league right now.
    Tell you what, i'll stop calling you writerman, when you stop ACTING LIKE HIM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I kinda have to believe that when the Pacers play their game, they are the best team in the East, without question. But to play their best is the problem we had last year, and we need to correct that.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

NewYawk

You forgot to wave your hands around and say, "these arent the droids you're looking for...."
    ed:

Fine. I've told you I respect your team and its coach, but (for obvious reasons) the Pacers are better. When you stop acting like a dork, I'll stop treating you like one. When you want to talk basketball, and not giz all over the Pistons' roster, we'll talk. Till then, enjoy Idiotville. Buy a house. Have Sheed as a roommate. Move from crack to weed. And get some new material. The "Driods" comment was stupid last month, and it's stupid now.

Pacers > Pistons
    Pistons ??? Nets

Pacers, Pistons, Nets >>>>>>>>> rest of EC

NewYawk, Kstat:

Be careful.

NewYawk, Kstat:

Be careful.
    The boogieman's gonna get ya...

NewYawk

I will be good. Hicks made a great forum, and I won't demean it by getting into a spat with KStat. I've said my peace, and can say with confidence and facts that the Pacers are better than the Pistons-- hands down, no contest.

I'm curious as to how we'd be if we'd traded Al for Dampier and/or Dunleavy.

fishman

The Pacers have had an incredible year so far. Better than almost anyone expected, and a spot in the finals is ours for the taking.
    However, I think you're fooling yourself if you aren't the least bit scared by the way the Pistons have been playing lately. Personally, they've got me scared *****less.

You can't compare this team to the team that we beat three times, earlier in the season. Sheed adds the low post scorer they need, plus improved defense.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Pacers, and I really want to see them in the finals, but I have a feeling that the Sheed trade could've been the turning point in the downfall of our finals hopes this year.

I'd say we have a good shot against them, but overall, Detroit has talent and experience on their side. Our one advantage is our bench, but as people have been saying, deep benches are overrated in the playoffs.
    But who know, I never expected the Pacers to be competing for the best record in the league at this point, so hopefully they can surprise me again.

Yawk, I'm curious as to what has you so convinced that both Wallace's are bad defenders. Can you elaborate.

NewYawk

Yawk, I'm curious as to what has you so convinced that both Wallace's are bad defenders. Can you elaborate.
    Just my opinion after watching them play. I see more Piston and Portland games (for whatever reason) than Pacer games. I don't have NBA League Pass anymore.

Ben Wallace is a classic example of how someone with high rebounding and blocked shot numbers is perceived as being a good post defender. Perhaps I exaggerate, but I've seen JO and other quality big men simply roll through Big Ben. He's not good at using his body, and his lack of height makes it easy for defenders to shoot over him. People like to paint Ben as a Dale Davis type. Please! Ben Wallace is NOT as good a player as DD. Imagine DD in his prime in THIS Eastern conference.

Rasheed is Rasheed. You can be physical with him and it can affect his game. It's how he's always been. Maybe under Brown he'll change, but I'm not convinced. He's not even a strong rebounder (something at least Ben brings to the table).

The Pistons are a weak interior team, and signing Rasheed did little to change that. They were much better with Cliff Robinson. Darko is a complete joke, and Okur is.. well, Okur-- pastey white dude with "potential". Detroit is a jmup shooting team weak in the middle... a formula for disaster.

However, I think you're fooling yourself if you aren't the least bit scared by the way the Pistons have been playing lately
    Since the trade they've played a murderous schedule of:

Minnesota - L
    Orlando - L
    Philly (In the midst of losing 6 of 7 and W/O Iverson)- W
    Chicago (Losers of 6 of 8) - W
    Atlanta (Losers of 8 of 10) - W
    Clippers (Losers of 6 of 8) - W
    Utah - L
    Portland (Losers of 5 of 6) - W
    Denver (Losers of 8 of 9) - W
    Seattle (Losers of 7 of 8) - W

If I was a Pistons fan I might've been disappointed to go 7-3 in that stretch......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

However, I think you're fooling yourself if you aren't the least bit scared by the way the Pistons have been playing lately
    Since the trade they've played a murderous schedule of:

Minnesota - L
    Orlando - L
    Philly (In the midst of losing 6 of 7 and W/O Iverson)- W
    Chicago (Losers of 6 of 8) - W
    Atlanta (Losers of 8 of 10) - W
    Clippers (Losers of 6 of 8) - W
    Utah - L
    Portland (Losers of 5 of 6) - W
    Denver (Losers of 8 of 9) - W
    Seattle (Losers of 7 of 8) - W

If I was a Pistons fan I might've been disappointed to go 7-3 in that stretch......

I think he was talking more about the way the Pistons have been playing rather than the simple wins and losses. Specifically, the incredible defensive showing of holding three straight teams under 70 points for the first time since the shot-clock era began (and all three games were on the road, to boot).

If Wallace and Wallace are bad defenders, how do you explain the Pistons being 4th in the league in opponent's field goal percentage, setting the NBA record for consecutive opponents held under 100 points, allowing a team to have no double-figure scorers in a game for the first time in the shot-clock era, and the above mentioned three straight games of holding their opponents under 70?

If it's not their frontcourt defense, what is it? The defensive prowess of Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton?

I think he was talking more about the way the Pistons have been playing rather than the simple wins and losses. Specifically, the incredible defensive showing of holding three straight teams under 70 points for the first time since the shot-clock era began (and all three games were on the road, to boot).

If Wallace and Wallace are bad defenders, how do you explain the Pistons being 4th in the league in opponent's field goal percentage, setting the NBA record for consecutive opponents held under 100 points, allowing a team to have no double-figure scorers in a game for the first time in the shot-clock era, and the above mentioned three straight games of holding their opponents under 70?

If it's not their frontcourt defense, what is it? The defensive prowess of Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton?
    Good post.

The Pistons are a legitimate threat, and I'll be even more worried if they get through the Nets. But we do have the #1 record in the NBA for a reason.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

The Pistons are a legitimate threat, and I'll be even more worried if they get through the Nets. But we do have the #1 record in the NBA for a reason.
    We have the #1 record in the NBA for many reasons, but one of those reasons is that we've had our current version of the team/ coach together all season.

I believe we don't have as big of a cushion if you exclude games before Jersey changes coaches and Detroit picks up 'Sheed. So comparing the current Pacers to the combined Byron Scott/ Larry Frank Nets or pre-and-post-'Sheed Pistons could also be the cause of a false sense of security.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

We have the #1 record in the NBA for many reasons, but one of those reasons is that we've had our current version of the team/ coach together all season.

I believe we don't have as big of a cushion if you exclude games before Jersey changes coaches and Detroit picks up 'Sheed. So comparing the current Pacers to the combined Byron Scott/ Larry Frank Nets or pre-and-post-'Sheed Pistons could also be the cause of a false sense of security.
    Not really. The Nets had or were quitting on Byron Scott, and the pre-Sheed Pistons weren't going to get too far as-were.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Not really. The Nets had or were quitting on Byron Scott, and the pre-Sheed Pistons weren't going to get too far as-were.
    I think we're trying to say the same thing. Which is simply that the cushion the Pacers appear to have when looking at full-season records and standings isn't as meaningful because the Nets have no longer quit on their coach and the Pistons might be going somewhere as presently configured. I guess I just don't get the "not really." part of your post - maybe it isn't directed at me.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I think we're trying to say the same thing. Which is simply that the cushion the Pacers appear to have when looking at full-season records and standings isn't as meaningful because the Nets have no longer quit on their coach and the Pistons might be going somewhere as presently configured. I guess I just don't get the "not really." part of your post - maybe it isn't directed at me.

Well, we have the cushion, and it's certainly meaningful. And teams make adjustments all the time. They don't change the standings based on what the team's record should or might be.