Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistons are now rolling along

Default Pistons are now rolling along

Perhaps lost in the Pacers great 4-0 western road is the fact that the Pistons went 4-1 on their trip, routing the Blazers, Sonics, Nuggets, and there only loss being at Utah.

I would be very interested to hear what the Pistons fans among us have to say.

I watched most of the Pistons blowouts of the Blazers and Nuggets and the Pistons look impressive even without Rip Hamilton who is injured.

To say the Pistons defense has been stifling would be an understatement, right now they aren't giving up any decent shots and teams are having trouble even passing the ball against the Larry Brown trademark pressure defense.

From the looks of things Sheed has helped the Pistons defense more than their offense. Ben and Sheed make quite a defensive tandem, in fact I can't think of a better inside combo in the whole NBA. [size=9:db4c9c7adb]although as far as the whole front line I'll take Artest, J,.O and Foster[/size].

As I was afraid of Sheed is exactly what the Pistons needed, now I fear the Pistons as a team have much more confidence.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pistons are now rolling along

I do fear the confidence thing from them, and the games were on the road, but the last two vs the Nuggets and the Sonics were against TERRIBLE teams right now, and the Sonics didn't have Allen.

The Pacers overall will gain a lot more from their games as they showed they can dominate teams, but teams in the NBA normally don't just give up, especially in the Nugs case as they had been blown out the previous night. Part of me feels glad that all the top east teams did well on the road, overall the top 3 were 10-3 on their road trips, pretty impressive.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Tim

Not to knock the Pistons but I remember a time this season when they were kicking but until they came up against us, and the natural order of things took over.

The Pistons got 'Sheed. So what.

Pistons fan here.

This is the best stretch the team has played in a long time.

To hold three straight opponents on the road to under 70 points while missing Rip Hamilton and Mehmet Okur was incredible, even if none of the teams were great (two are in playoff contention in the West though).

Rasheed makes our front court defense dominant, but the real surprise in the last few games has been Lindsey Hunter. He's started at point guard with Billups playing shooting guard in Hamilton's absence. Hunter's defense has been outstanding, and having a two point guard backcourt has also helped our offense out (we've had a lot more assists than usual).

The real question is how Hamilton and Okur will be worked back into the lineup (both should be back next game). Hamilton's offense is too good for him not to start, but I think he'll be on a shorter leash and Hunter will get major minutes (unless his playing well is just a flash in the pan, which I think it could be). Okur played really well in January, then had back problems at the start of February, and then sulked and played like crap for the few games he played in after he lost his starting job because of the Rasheed trade. I think the key to how far we go in the playoffs is whether he can accept coming off the bench and provide a solid post option on offense.

The team has been great with Rasheed so far, but I want to see how we do against the top teams. We play at NJ on the 18th, so that should show me something.

diego

Well DA was discussing the Pistons recently and made reference to them being to streaky. Going on long winning streaks and then likewise on long losing streaks. Streaky teams usually dont win championships, cause in playoffs, it comes down to execution and ability. So by my calculations, they will probably run off a few more wins and then begin their losing streak.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Perhaps lost in the Pacers great 4-0 western road is the fact that the Pistons went 4-1 on their trip, routing the Blazers, Sonics, Nuggets, and there only loss being at Utah.

I would be very interested to hear what the Pistons fans among us have to say.

I watched most of the Pistons blowouts of the Blazers and Nuggets and the Pistons look impressive even without Rip Hamilton who is injured.

To say the Pistons defense has been stifling would be an understatement, right now they aren't giving up any decent shots and teams are having trouble even passing the ball against the Larry Brown trademark pressure defense.

From the looks of things Sheed has helped the Pistons defense more than their offense. Ben and Sheed make quite a defensive tandem, in fact I can't think of a better inside combo in the whole NBA. [size=9:f1e3590fc2]although as far as the whole front line I'll take Artest, J,.O and Foster[/size].

As I was afraid of Sheed is exactly what the Pistons needed, now I fear the Pistons as a team have much more confidence.
    Tell you what, UB:

Rasheed Wallace is a better player than I ever imagined.

You really have no idea what this guy is about until you watch him game in and out. He's one of the most skilled big men Ive ever seen in my life.

-he sets GREAT picks

-He may be the best outlet passer in the entire league. Right now that is my favorite part of his game.

-His Every offensive move he makes is right out of Dean Smith's textbook. He relies amazingly little on athletesism. The form on his jumper is near-perfect.

Offensively, he's been more of a facilitator, getting everyone ELSE open shots, but defensively he has been the new Michael Curry. EVERY play down court, he yells out or defensive calls from the sideleines, he knows EXACTLY where everyone is supposed to be, and he pulls people together when we're getting beat. He's given us the vocal leadership we've missed when we let go of Curry.

And added to that, he has contributed defensively the way Cliff Robinson did. He takes the other team's best low post threat, which once again allows Big Ben to freelance more.

I'll put it this way, UB: We have been without TWO of our top SIX players the last 3 games. We've started LINDSEY HUNTER at SG in all 3. And yet we've found a way to go an IMPRESSIVE 3-0 out west, without our leading scorer, and our 6th man. And everyone thats seen us knows the reason. Anyone who compares this team to the pre-deadline squad simply has their head in the sand. This is a COMPLETELY different team. We're a legit title contender now.

The surprise to me is, Sheed hasnt given us the consostent low-post threat yet. What he HAS given us is everything we had no idea he could do. I'd like to have them both, but I'm seriously considering letting Memo go to resign Sheed over the summer.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I'm not too concerned about the Pistons. If we're relatively healthy, we should shred them in a 7-game series because they have no real depth—our bench would wear them out over the long haul. I'm more concerned about NO, New Jersey and Milwaukee (or some other overachieving team). It's not uncommon that a team with the best-record gets eliminated by a team who has nothing to lose. We've been playing so well this season, I just hope we don't lose any intensity when it matters most. Although I think Rick's system would help prevent that from happening because he has the team pretty well under control.

I'm not too concerned about the Pistons. If we're relatively healthy, we should shred them in a 7-game series because they have no real depth—our bench would wear them out over the long haul. I'm more concerned about NO, New Jersey and Milwaukee (or some other overachieving team). It's not uncommon that a team with the best-record gets eliminated by a team who has nothing to lose. We've been playing so well this season, I just hope we don't lose any intensity when it matters most. Although I think Rick's system would help prevent that from happening because he has the team pretty well under control.
    Depth in the playoffs, when your rotation shortens to 7-8 guys, is the most overratted thing in basketball. I learned that the last 2 years, when we had the best bench and the league, and it meant diddly squat in May.

I'm fully aware we can be beat, but so can you. And no team in the league would "shred" us....

Yeah, we've got no depth, thats why we lost TWO of our top 6 guys and won 3 straight games by an average over 25 points..... ed:

Larry Brown has done his thing with Lindsey Hunter. He's having the best stretch of his career right now.

Corliss Williamson is 3rd in the NBA in scoring off the bench:

Mike James has been BETTER than Atkins was for us at PG.

Mhemet Okur isnt a slouch off the bench either

Um, remind me again how we have no depth???

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Anyone who is more concerned with the Hornets than the Pistons are in for a rude awakening. The coaching difference alone is huge.

Kstat, I enjoyed your analysis, even though it has me nervous. One word of caution, if you are waiting for Sheed to be a dominant low post threat, it might not ever happen. He is capable of being that, but he never has been. But as you mention his all around game is outstanding and his defense is like Uncle Cliffy's

I'm fully aware we cna be beat, but so can you. And no team in the league would "shred" us....

Yeah, we've got no depth, thats why we lost TWO of our top 6 guys and won 3 straight games by an average over 25 points..... ed:

Um, against Portland, Denver and Seattle. ed:

And before you bring up Denver's rally against us or our margins of victory, we did beat Utah. And Ron and Al and JO haven't exactly been 100% healthy.

Until you guys can beat us once this season, I'll stand by my statement.

Anyone who is more concerned with the Hornets than the Pistons are in for a rude awakening. The coaching difference along is huge.

Kstat, I enjoyed your analysis, even though it has me nervous. One word of caution, if you are waiting for Sheed to be a dominant low post threat, it might not ever happen. He is capable of being that, but he never has been. But as you mention his all around game is outstanding and his defense is like Uncle Cliffy's
    Well, thats just it, UB, I'm not.

Sheed has shown that he CAN score in the low post rather easily. But he loves to take just as many shots from the outside, which is hard for me to argue, because he can knock them down. However, you are correct, he will likely not be a guy that scores 20 points in the paint for us. But I honestly dont care anymore. He does so many OTHER things for us, frankly I dont care HOW many threes he takes.

Anyone who is more concerned with the Hornets than the Pistons are in for a rude awakening. The coaching difference along is huge.

We'll see. I've been pretty dead on regarding the team thus far.

I'm curious about the matchups in a Pacer-Pistons playoffs. I could see any 1 of 3 in our starting lineup guarding Rasheed - Artest, JO and Foster.

Artest is probably out of the question since that would create a mismatch w/ JO or Foster having to guard Prince. It seems like a waste to put Artest on Prince but that's probably how it has to go.

It seems Foster would then been on Rasheed by default since we need to protect JO from foul trouble. Foster will have some problems guarding Rasheed on the perimeter. I could see Al getting more minutes in this series because he would be a good matchup (if healthy) for Rasheed. Maybe even some spot minutes for Bender on Rasheed as well.

I'm fully aware we cna be beat, but so can you. And no team in the league would "shred" us....

Um, against Portland, Denver and Seattle. ed:

And before you bring up Denver's rally against us or our margins of victory, we did beat Utah. And Ron and Al and JO haven't exactly been 100% healthy.

Wow, going out on a limb there.......

Eh, I have no doubt that we can beat you in a 7-game series now. None whatsoever. The odds are even, IMO. Maybe we'll learn that April 5, maybe we wont. What matters is May and June.

let me remind you Pacer fans that our first goal should be:

GET OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND!!!

Then we can worry about the SECOND ROUND

Then the Third...we might not even face the Pistons in the ECF!
    The Pistons have very good interior D, but the Nets are not exactly what you would call a post-up team...heck they are not even a half-court team.

The P's and Nets in the second round should be a dandy

As for Kstat.... I am glad you guys got R Wallace...
    if we meet you guys in the ECF you can acctually compete with us now and make things interesting!

Eh, I have no doubt that we can beat you in a 7-game series now. None whatsoever. The odds are even, IMO. Maybe we'll learn that April 5, maybe we wont. What matters is May and June.

I went out on a limb before the season started and predicted more wins than I've seen anyone here predict. Although I wouldn't call it going out on a limb. I looked at what Rick had to work with in Detroit and what he would have to work with here and it was pretty obvious to me how we would do this season.

Also, I've readily admitted that my knowledge of the game pales in comparison to a lot of the posters here, and I've often let my barometer be clouded by their so-called expert analysis'. So I don't really mind people like UB being dismissive of my opinions because this team continues to defy their expectations and meet up to mine.

So yeah, I'm sticking to what I said. And yes, NO concerns me more than Detroit. And no, I don't think I'll be in for a rude awakening.

diego

KSTAT,
    No offense becuase i think you are generally a knowledgeable poster. However i have been confused by you this year. You have been so hot and cold with your team. i seem to remember you coming here and just saying how lousy you guys were and ripping several players on the team. And now you are talking about how good they are and how Sheed is the difference maker. No offense, but SHeed will never be a difference maker. He may against teams with a weak PF/SF combo, but in playoffs when he is going to go against JO/Artest, Martin/Jefferson, and mash/brown, i think Sheed will be exposed.

You guys have been too streaky this year, and have not seemed to play well against the top teams. Not for sure, but what is your record versus top 5 teams in each conference. Maybe its better than i think, but it seems you have struggled against the better teams.

I do think Sheed helps you guys, without him you were losing in first round, but now i can see you advancing. I just dont see you matching up with us even with him. And i disagree with yoiu saying bench doesnt matter in the playoffs, i think it does. Maybe not because you use them all, but becuase you can keep your guys fresher heading into playoffs.

Like I said, no disrespect, you know your team better than us, but IMO they have been far to streaky this year. We shall see though.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not too concerned about the Pistons. If we're relatively healthy, we should shred them in a 7-game series because they have no real depth—our bench would wear them out over the long haul. -snip-
    Depth in the playoffs, when your rotation shortens to 7-8 guys, is the most overratted thing in basketball. I learned that the last 2 years, when we had the best bench and the league, and it meant diddly squat in May.

-snip-
    There are so few back-to-backs in the playoffs that its inexcusable to play your key players less than 40-44 mpg. For example, even playing outrageously high minutes didn't exactly slow down Pierce and Walker down the stretch last spring.

Larry Brown is only going to go deep into his bench if he's got guys that he's not comfortable with at both ends of the court. Maybe Rip on defense and Big Ben on offense. Everyone else will play major minutes so you've got to believe that you can beat Detroit's starters with our bench in order to argue that our depth is an advantage.

FWIW, I believe Larry Brown is just salivating at the prospects of an extended Chauncey/ Anthony Johnson matchup. Or for Bender or Harrington get a lot of minutes vs. 'Sheed.

I've said this before, I used to be a huge supporter of the idea that depth is good thing. But it seems every year we have more depth than the team that ultimately beats us in the playoffs.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

This is exactly why I said the Pacers were doomed when Detroit picked up Rasheed. There's no one on the Pacers that can stop him, and his ability to take them away from the paint will cost us quite a few boards. And on the other end, he can contain any of our PFs defensively. In addition, he adds a score of years of playoff experience to Detroit's roster, while the Pacers remain relatively inexperienced outside of Reggie. In my eyes it's a two-team race between Detroit and New Jersey.

IndyToad
    Tricky instructions

Didn't JO have trouble playing against Rasheed when he was in Portland? If I remember, JO never had good games when we played Portland.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Didn't JO have trouble playing against Rasheed when he was in Portland? If I remember, JO never had good games when we played Portland.
    I think I can relate this to what Zach Randolph had to go through when we played portland. A lot was made of the legendary battles Zach and Sheed had in practice over the past few years, but what I came to realize was, it wasnt Zazh vs Sheed, it was zach vs the Pistons. Sheed made Zach's life miserable sure, but whenever he DID get around Sheed (which wasnt often), he had to deal with Ben Wallace, who is even tougher. It really disheartened he and Rahim from going into the paint.

Its not so much Sheed is a great post defender (which he is), its the fact that Sheed AND Ben intimidates the hell out of teams.

NewYawk

[quote="Kstat"]

You should have doubts, especially since your team hasn't beaten Indy yet. And if you think the odds are "even", you're nuts. The Pistons do not match up well with the Pacers, and they have no one who can guard Jermaine O'Neal.

I'll repeat that: They have NO ONE who can guard Jermaine O'Neal.

The Pistons are an inferior team to the Pacers, and it's obvious. Overall record, head-to-head, road wins, division wins, and overall assessment of talent clearly shows Indy over Detroit.

Accept it.

Deal with it.

Hope that Detroit signs Kobe in the offseason, because that's the only chance you have.

[quote="NewYawk"]

You should have doubts, especially since your team hasn't beaten Indy yet. And if you think the odds are "even", you're nuts. The Pistons do not match up well with the Pacers, and they have no one who can guard Jermaine O'Neal.

I'll repeat that: They have NO ONE who can guard Jermaine O'Neal.

The Pistons are an inferior team to the Pacers, and it's obvious. Overall record, head-to-head, road wins, division wins, and overall assessment of talent clearly shows Indy over Detroit.

Accept it.

Deal with it.

Hope that Detroit signs Kobe in the offseason, because that's the only chance you have.

Um, yes, ok......

Writerman part II: return of baghdad bob........NewYawk strikes back....

joro

They have NO ONE who can guard Jermaine O'Neal.
    Mark it on your calendar -- I am agreeing with something New Yawk said. Probably never happen again.

However, his assertion could be made with reference to 26 of the other 27 teams in the NBA -- the only forward out there who can defend succesfully against JO is KG.

They have NO ONE who can guard Jermaine O'Neal.
    Mark it on your calendar -- I am agreeing with something New Yawk said. Probably never happen again.

However, his assertion could be made with reference to 26 of the other 27 teams in the NBA -- the only forward out there who can defend succesfully against JO is KG.

You're right, we probably dont hae one Wallace that can stop JO. But We do have TWO Wallaces that I think can keep him down.....