Thread: I need Psy-Ops Help. Why was Tinsley's name floated?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default I need Psy-Ops Help. Why was Tinsley's name floated?

Some of you guys are probably a lot better at being poker-faced than me--at doing the psychological profiling game. So I need some help.

Why did the Pacers float Tinsley's name for a trade? In my not so savvy mind I can only think of three options:

1. They didn't "float" his name to the press. The Pacers are thinking about trading him. Montieth and Wells just repeated it without their knowledge or permission.

2. Indystar always waits for Walsh and Bird's permission. They floated Tinsley's name for them so that other teams will know he's on the block and start making offers.

3. They floated Tinsley's name because they ACTUALLy want to trade Ron or JO. You see, the appearance of value goes up for players that are supposedly off limits. It's the off limits guys you REALLY want. So this little manouver causes other teams to make big offers for Ron and JO, which is what Walsh and Bird wanted all along.

That's about as sophisticated as I can get. Anybody got some ideas on what may be going on?

P.S. I'm guessing Pollard's name was floated simply because its a no-brainer, with his contract, that he is a possible trade option.

Default Re: I need Psy-Ops Help. Why was Tinsley's name floated?

It was all based on Rick's comments, right?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Who saw LB's comments on the 6:00 news tonight? I just barely caught it, so I could be wrong, but he mentioned JO, RA, and Jax2 and then said Tins needed to do what was asked of him this summer. Then he said something on the order of ---
    Some guys need to get going or be gone.

ANybody see this?

This is what Wells wrote in the IndyStar the Sunday after the game six loss:

"No current player seems untouchable, but two players who could be moved are Scot Pollard and Tinsley."

To me, that's a clear "floating" of Tinsley's name.

Montieth reportedly said something similar the day before on the radio.

After readingh the LB transcript it has become clear that Tinsley has a certain program he has to do this summer (and a bit more preferably) if LB is not satisfied he is trade bait, until then he remains one of LB's favorites.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

The first part may be clear--that he has a certain program to follow. I'm not so sure the second part is clear. He may be trade bait already and also gone down a notch or two in the favorite category.

Can we win a championship without JO? Our ofense sure seemed to run smoother when we're not playing that inside out game. Just curious if people think we could win without him. If so, who could we get in his place or is his contract just too crazy?

Inside-out? Don't you mean inside-shoot? I don't remember a whole lot of 'Back out' passes from JO, except one or two games against Boston.

Yes, the offense did run well without JO, but Reggie had decided to become near superhuman again for a couple of months. That certainly contributed to the smooth running offense. If we had Ray Allen we could repeat that again. I'm not so sure we could without a similar major pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Inside-out? Don't you mean inside-shoot? I don't remember a whole lot of 'Back out' passes from JO, except one or two games against Boston.

Yes, the offense did run well without JO, but Reggie had decided to become near superhuman again for a couple of months. That certainly contributed to the smooth running offense. If we had Ray Allen we could repeat that again. I'm not so sure we could without a similar major pickup.
    Good point!