Thread: Way to get Jason Kidd....

Default Way to get Jason Kidd....

All this talk of Reggie's contract being paid next year got me to thinking.... What if it is being kept active to be part of a trade ala Danny Manning (If I am remebering right.) Danny was traded to the Pacers as part of the Brad Miller/Ron Mercer Trade and he immediately retired. Made the cap numbers work without having to really pay anything.

Anyway, according to Realgm this works:

Tinsley
    Pollard
    Miller (legit retire after trade)

for

Kidd

Would you do it?

I think I would.......and NJ may just be tempted for a decent PG and alot of money off the books...

Outsider

Default Re: Way to get Jason Kidd....

Wasn't it Danny Ferry and not Danny Manning?

At any rate, I guess it could be but I still don't think they'd trade Reggie even if there were never any intention for him to play for the new team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That deal is basically Kidd straight up for Tinsley and cap space.

The Nets can get a lot more for Kidd. Plus the money they'd save by trading him would be negated by their ticket sales going from slim to nothing.

The Nets would require a quality young big man, and aside from JO, the pacers aren't going to satisfy that.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

^ Yea Pacers wont trade Reggie, even if he is not going to play again.

Ferry, yeah, that is right.... and Kstat, what could they get for a 32 year old All-star with ailing knees?

And to everyone, what would you do with the 6M as trade bait?

(I can see Donnie setting this up with Reggies approval to improve the team. No one is going to say he was on the Nets and he will still have only played for 1 team in his career. Hell, anyone consider Danny Ferry a Pacer?)

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ferry, yeah, that is right.... and Kstat, what could they get for a 32 year old All-star with ailing knees?

And to everyone, what would you do with the 6M as trade bait?

(I can see Donnie setting this up with Reggies approval to improve the team. No one is going to say he was on the Nets and he will still have only played for 1 team in his career. Hell, anyone consider Danny Ferry a Pacer?)
    Well, I happen to agree that Jason Kidd is worth much less than what he was 2 years ago, but that's still more than Tinsley and cap space in my opinion. Now, if they don't get rid of him now, they might have wished they did that trade in 2 years if Kidd has alot of years left on his contract.

As far as Reggie goes, nobody would consider him a Net or anything else. However, I believe that Donnie Walsh would never trade him, even in name only. Danny Ferry was never the face of a franchise, wasn't with the same franchise for 18 years, and wasn't half the player Reggie was. Donnie is nothing if not loyal, even to a fault, to the players that play here. He wouldn't disrespect Reggie like that, even if Reggie said it was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    Considering that 32 year old PG with ailing knees is still top-3 at his position? Quite a bit.

I'm sure the Lakers would trade Odom and Butler for him.

The Mavs would gladly trade Terry, Daniels and Dampier.

I could see the Cavs trading Illgauskus and Varejo.

the Knicks would trade Marbury in a heartbeat.

Orlando would trade Francis.

Memphis would give up any 2 players on their team not named Pau Gasol.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Considering that 32 year old PG with ailing knees is still top-3 at his position? Quite a bit.

I don't know about all of those. If I'm the Lakers I would never give up Odom and Butler for Kidd at this point in his career. They are basically looking for cap room so they can make a run at Yao in another year aren't they? If I'm Orlando, I'm looking to the future and while I would trade Francis I'd want something younger than Kidd.

The Mavs would probably do that trade in a heartbeat, as would the Cavs.

The Knicks? Who the hell knows what's going through IT's mind. The Nets have had Marbury already though so they know what he's about and I find it hard to believe they'd take him back.

Yes I would do that.

foretaz

highly doubtful

no way in hell, cuban couldve had him, he balked...contract is too risky with those knees

cavs might do a sign and trade for this....though doubtful....however its even more doubtful the nets do this....it would mean a new long term deal for Z

absolutely not a snowballs chance in hell isiah would do that

wrong again...no way orlando does this deal...no way

the nets could probably get more than tinsley and pollard and cap room...probably...but they wont get anything near this good...which is probably one of the reasons he probably stays in new jersey this year...kidds contract is baaaaaaddddd.....with no end in site...great player...but getting older and probably only a couple decent years left...shame his contract isnt the same...75 million left over the next 4 years...the last 2 are a total of 40 million...when he probably will be a shadow of the player he is and was...

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Yes I would do that.
    Why? Kidd is a running PG. He's good in a set offense, but he's extrordinary in the open court. The Pacers aren't made to run, so you'd have to overhaul your entire personel and play schemes to benefit one player.

The only beneficial upgrade is see is rebounding out of the PG spot. I just don't see him making the same plays for assists with our lineup. Bender, , and Freddy are the only players that have the athletic capability to be on the recieving ends of his play making. He's more of a highlite reel than anything......

Just my two cents.

My guess is the Nets feel they'll be a lot better next year - not sure if they'll be able to contend for the EC but maybe.

A Kidd, Vince, Jefferson, Krstic, whoever lineup ain't bad. I don't see them in a hurry to move any of those four.

I should probably do a poll but by next year I expect, with the Wizards and Bulls emerging, with Indy having a full team, with the Cavs a year better and the Nets together and healthy, that the top of the EC will be as strong as the top of the West.

Haven't been able to say that in a long time.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd do it, and I'll drive'em to the airport. We've had all this talk about mentally strong players lately. Jason Kidd is mentally strong. He basically willed the Nets to beat us in 2001 when Reggie hit that half courter, and then kept going in overtime. I was so impressed with Kidd during that series. He was not going to lose that game, he just kept making play after play after play. His focus was never shaken by Reggie, like so many other players.

This is not to say I don't like Jamaal, because I do. But if our window of opportunity is only this and next year then we need a expirienced leader right now. So if were playing for it all next year this is a great move, if were playing for the future keep Tinsley.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

foretaz

jason is the ultimate sucker bet...there is no denying his abilities...great skills and CAN be a great team leader....but hes also had varying problems wherever hes been....he doesnt take losing very well, which is not a bad thing...

he is soooooooo tempting....if the pacers were to acquire him u could make a strong case for them getting a title or 2 over the next 2 years....

problem is...what is that title worth and what if u dont get it....

because his contract is a franchise killer....

think of it another way....would u rather be paying tinsley around 8 million in 4 years when hes in his prime....or paying jason 20 million when hes on crutches....outside of jon stockton, there arent too many point guards rippin it up at 35 or 36...

jon bender and croshere have terrible contracts...and together they equal jasons...except jasons contract has 2 more years than either one of theirs and they are much younger, though u cant argue his contribution right now far exceeds the two of them combined....

even if u win a title or 2....are u prepared to be handcuffed by that contract in the following years when u have a point guard taking 20 million a year of ur cap? and probably wont even be starting at that point???

his contract is a huge gamble...to say the least....and jersey is certainly hoping someone would bite....the allure of a title is a funny thing...but not even cuban could roll the dice....cause he gets it.....ur basically throwing all ur eggs in one basket....with nut much recourse if it doesnt pan out...and even if it does...ur then left with a nitemare afterwards....

even if u win a title or 2....are u prepared to be handcuffed by that contract in the following years when u have a point guard taking 20 million a year of ur cap? and probably wont even be starting at that point???
    Um, I would.

i'd sacrifice about anything for a "Title or 2"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    jason is the ultimate sucker bet...there is no denying his abilities...great skills and CAN be a great team leader....but hes also had varying problems wherever hes been....he doesnt take losing very well, which is not a bad thing...

he is soooooooo tempting....if the pacers were to acquire him u could make a strong case for them getting a title or 2 over the next 2 years....

problem is...what is that title worth and what if u dont get it....

because his contract is a franchise killer....

think of it another way....would u rather be paying tinsley around 8 million in 4 years when hes in his prime....or paying jason 20 million when hes on crutches....outside of jon stockton, there arent too many point guards rippin it up at 35 or 36...

jon bender and croshere have terrible contracts...and together they equal jasons...except jasons contract has 2 more years than either one of theirs and they are much younger, though u cant argue his contribution right now far exceeds the two of them combined....

his contract is a huge gamble...to say the least....and jersey is certainly hoping someone would bite....the allure of a title is a funny thing...but not even cuban could roll the dice....cause he gets it.....ur basically throwing all ur eggs in one basket....with nut much recourse if it doesnt pan out...and even if it does...ur then left with a nitemare afterwards....
    This isn't even a question. "What is that title worth?" Answer: everything. That is the point of playing, not to always be safe in the future. I'll take a title followed by a 10 win season as opposed to back to back 50 win seasons.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When I see this, I'm reminded of the JO/Webber rumors, as well as the Tinsley/Payton rumors, and it makes me cringe a bit. Kidd is still good, but his career is near it's end. I'd just keep Tins.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This isn't even a question. "What is that title worth?" Answer: everything. That is the point of playing, not to always be safe in the future. I'll take a title followed by a 10 win season as opposed to back to back 50 win seasons.
    of course...and therein lies the sucker bet concept....

because as we all know...there are no sure things...soooooo....what if u dont win that title....then you have 2 more years of frustration...followed by a couple more where ur handcuffed by an albatross of a contract....

and thats why larry and donnie make the big bucks....

but its a huge gamble...absolutely huge...one that most simply wouldnt make....cause the risks are high...and while the odds get tipped in ur favor....theyre not a sure thing...far from it....

i mean look at the lakers last year....who woulda thunk it....

Kidd showed this year how valuable he can be when healthy.

Kidd has led teams to the finals twice.

Why are we questioning players durability, when we have Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley? Jermaine and Jamaal are always injured at the end of the season and into the playoffs. I'm not getting on them, but what's the difference? Jermaine played 44 games this year. Even if you take out the 15 game suspension, he just plays 59 games, losing 23 to injury.

Kidd is a proven leader who has taken his team to the finals, I wish we could say that about one of our players.

because as we all know...there are no sure things...
    You exact words were, "even if you win a title or 2"

...soooooo....what if u dont win that title....then you have 2 more years of frustration...
    ......as opposed to the last 30?

but its a huge gamble...absolutely huge...one that most simply wouldnt make....cause the risks are high...
    Are the risks really THAT big? You have a great chance at a title for the next 3 years, vs having a decent chance for the next 6?

foretaz

You exact words were, "even if you win a title or 2"

......as opposed to the last 30?

Are the risks really THAT big? You have a great chance at a title for the next 3 years, vs having a decent chance for the next 6?
    75 million dollars for a 32 year old point guard with bad knees....yea...id call it a big risk....and i think there are probably about 30 gms or so in the league that would agree...

because spending that kind of money on one player...or in this case it would be two players with jermaine....leaves very little money to field the rest of the team....and the simons and walsh have made it very clear they have no interest in paying a luxury tax....

Is there any way we could convince you to get rid of the purple and bold font?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Is there any way we could convince you to get rid of the purple and bold font?
    Since he's going against the forum conformity, I'd say he could get away with being banned...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...