Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking ahead part 3......

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Looking ahead part 3......

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Geezer, I promise. Go back and look at he rebounding stats from the 04 season. pacers were pretty good, and they'll be better next season.
    I certainly hope you are right...of course this year we didn't have Al Harrington to help off the bench.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    And I can easily see Memphis being a trading partner. Here's why: West likes Foster and the Pacers came extremely close on pulling the trigger on a deal that would have sent him to Memphis at the beginning of the 2003-04 season. At the time, it would have been a salary dump, but Foster's value has surely increased since then. And Memphis has a stockpool of talent that might be of interest to us.
    If we make a deal with Memphis, I really hope we can get Mike Miller.

Posted by geezer.."We need a rebounding big man that can stand up to the punishment."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

I would love to get Shelden Williams next year. I was hoping he would come out this year. He blocks shots left and right and rebounds and is tough
    physically and durable.

owl

Geezer - I looked up the rebounding stats for the 2004 season. Carlisle's first as coach

Pacers were the 7th best rebounding team overall both in deferential and in reblunding %. They were +1.5

They ranked 4th best in defensive rebounding %

They ranked 13th best in offensive rebounding %.

% stats cancel out the differences between the teams that run and the teams that don't.

next season the stats will be a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    It's just a feeling I have, but I think there will be changes made over the summer and I can see either Foster or Pollard being packaged with another player to try and make some upgrades. And I can easily see Memphis being a trading partner. Here's why: West likes Foster and the Pacers came extremely close on pulling the trigger on a deal that would have sent him to Memphis at the beginning of the 2003-04 season. At the time, it would have been a salary dump, but Foster's value has surely increased since then. And Memphis has a stockpool of talent that might be of interest to us.
    West got his hustle guy last summer in Brian Cardinal (and paid A LOT for him, too), so I doubt his interest in Foster is as high now. That said, he will definitely be looking to deal (Williams, Wells, Swift), just not players we would want, probably.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

That's what I believe too UB, ok so we lost Al, but we gained SJax who will now really start playing MAJOR minutes at shooting guard, because Reggie was great at several things, but rebounding was not one of them, while SJax IS certainly good at it for a SG.

So, I expect a rise from that position aswell as compared to this year a rise from the SF position (Ron returning) and the C position (JO beying asked to spent a little less energy on offense and a little more on defense again, while David and our other centers will have to really fight for playing time, which in this case might be a very good thing with regards with the rebounding we get from there).

Maybe, I'm just beying too much of a brigade member or something, but this is what I truly believe.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I hope J.O averages less than 20 points per game next season and shoots at least 48%. I want J.O to score on an as needed basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I hope J.O averages less than 20 points per game next season and shoots at least 48%. I want J.O to score on an as needed basis.
    I'd be absolutely fine with that. Would that be a career high percentage for JO?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

That's about his ceiling I think! He shot 48.4% in 2002-2003 and 47.9% in 2001-2002.

I want to see him blocking more, but particularly his assists numbers I want to see raised, I want him passing out of the double and triple teams way more often.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I agree with Rimfire, the Pacers have a couple of good backups, but a quality starting center is really hard to find.

Its too bad that we didn't get to see much of Harrison. If DW/LB think he is the future at the position, that's fine. If they don't think so, or are unsure, they have to look at centers in the draft and we all know what a crapshoot that is.

If we were all as sure about him as Peck is, we would feel good about that position, but consider this. There are questions about his shape and work ethic that have dogged him since the draft. Secondly, he now has questions about his health. The concussion was freaky. Maybe it was a bad fluke or maybe the guy is just a bit fragile.

The thing is that if Harrison does not pan out, the Pacers have not future here. Davis can't have more than a year or two left and Pollard is chronically broken down. Foster is what he is, and is not old at 28, but still, a lot hinges on Harrison. Anyone else kind of wish we still had Primoz?

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    I agree with Rimfire, the Pacers have a couple of good backups, but a quality starting center is really hard to find.

Its too bad that we didn't get to see much of Harrison. If DW/LB think he is the future at the position, that's fine. If they don't think so, or are unsure, they have to look at centers in the draft and we all know what a crapshoot that is.

If we were all as sure about him as Peck is, we would feel good about that position, but consider this. There are questions about his shape and work ethic that have dogged him since the draft. Secondly, he now has questions about his health. The concussion was freaky. Maybe it was a bad fluke or maybe the guy is just a bit fragile.

The thing is that if Harrison does not pan out, the Pacers have not future here. Davis can't have more than a year or two left and Pollard is chronically broken down. Foster is what he is, and is not old at 28, but still, a lot hinges on Harrison. Anyone else kind of wish we still had Primoz?

To answer your last question, I'm sure there are lots of people on here who wish the Pacers still had Primoz. I'm just not one of them. He was ok, but I don't think he'd play over any of the other players on our team.

If you want everybody to be as sure of Harrison as I am then we will be very shaky indeed. I just beleive he has the tools present to be something, I don't know if he will or won't be able to use them.

BTW, this entire post makes me wish more & more that we had kept a certain west coast center more & more each day. Starting caliber centers are hard to find & starting caliber all-star centers are downright rare.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Peck, you deserve a lot of credit for not mentioning that certain Western Conference allstar starting center. If you drank I'd buy you a beer at the party in July

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    To answer your last question, I'm sure there are lots of people on here who wish the Pacers still had Primoz. I'm just not one of them. He was ok, but I don't think he'd play over any of the other players on our team.

If you want everybody to be as sure of Harrison as I am then we will be very shaky indeed. I just beleive he has the tools present to be something, I don't know if he will or won't be able to use them.

BTW, this entire post makes me wish more & more that we had kept a certain west coast center more & more each day. Starting caliber centers are hard to find & starting caliber all-star centers are downright rare.
    i didnt realize u were such a big yao ming fan, peck.....

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    i didnt realize u were such a big yao ming fan, peck.....
    Thought he meant Dampier myself, what with the words "kept" and "West Coast" and all.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I'd be absolutely fine with that. Would that be a career high percentage for JO?

-Bball

48.6% in 70 games with Portland in 99-00 is his best percentage.

48.4 in 2002-2003 is his best with the Pacers.

02-03 was JO's best season with the Pacers.

This thread covers what I see as our biggest need. Since Bender has bad knees why don't we put him on Crosheres shoulders and make us a center 10'6" 425 lbs that might justify the contract they are both getting. (back to reality) I see Pollard + someone being moved for whomever. Harrison will get much better and be a solid backup. Our summer league should be interesting
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)