Thread: OT: If you're about to buy a laptop from which to post to PD...

Default OT: If you're about to buy a laptop from which to post to PD...

That makes it Pacers-related, so I'll post here instead of entertainment. By the time it's seen there, it will be gone. Last time this happened, it sold out in four hours. Just letting you know. I know somebody said they were buying a laptop, but don't remember who.

Dell Home has $750 off $1499 coupon code VRSG541NMGQ800 for Inspiron Laptops listed on this page. Starts tomorrow (Tues) at 6AM PDT, 8AM CDT and ends on 5/26 5:59AM CDT or after 15000 redemptions. Thanks usb.

http://www.slickdeals.net/#p6111
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: OT: If you're about to buy a laptop from which to post to PD...

I've been really happy with the Inspiron laptop that I've had. You've seen pics of it somewhat disassembled (for demonstration only, never had any problems that would require that). Actually, I can't think of any hardware related problems that I've had with that thing. The one I have is an 8500 model which is a year+ old now I think.

It's sorta heavy but that's due to the XGA+ display (see the Inspiron 6000 it's the same size as that one). The size does allow space for the keyboard to be a decent size for someone with big hands as far as laptop keyboards go. I hate touchpads so I won't comment on that (suffice to say I keep a USB mouse with it at all times).

The 256MB RAM on those is really pushing it if you're planning on doing much beyond email and websurfing but I'd hesitate to upgrade the amount of memory through Dell because adding memory is where they (all the manufacturers it seems) will really make you pay. Better off getting the minimum amount of RAM then upgrading through crucial.com using their memory selector so it's guaranteed to work.

The downside to upgrading outside of Dell (or Compaq or whoever) is that many consumer laptops only have 1 DIMM slot so if you do want to upgrade your memory you'll have to buy so that you're first replacing the amount you currently have in the laptop then adding on the amount of RAM you need to get the size you want to be at. Pet peeve of mine, no need to waste a perfectly good DIMM because they won't give you another slot.

Lemme know if you go for it

EDIT - Looks like most of those have 2 DIMM slots. Huzzah!

Default Re: OT: If you're about to buy a laptop from which to post to PD...

I'm fine as is... I just wanted everyone else to know they had options.

I'm still impressed by your removable video card, though. That was very cool.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!