Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 37 of 37

Thread: Let's talk about mental toughness...

  1. #26
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,514

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know I'll be laughed all the way out of here but........ I think that Croshere has qualities that exemplify Mental toughness.

    Ok start your taunting now.
    I won't laugh at you. In fact I agree with you.

    Croshere has lost his shot which hurts his game a lot but at the end of close games I have no problem with him being in. He gets tough rebounds, he doesn't miss free throws & he won't do anything stupid to hurt the team.

    He's not ever going to be considered a great player but I agree that he has mental toughness.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. #27
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know I'll be laughed all the way out of here but........ I think that Croshere has qualities that exemplify Mental toughness.

    Ok start your taunting now.
    No taunting at all. I whole heartedly agree. Austin seems to play better in the bigger moments. Plus he is always ready. He may not have it going on certain nights, but when you go 5 games with DNP-CD and then play the next game 28 min you can't expect much. However he is always ready to try hard, and play through hard fouls. Something JO can't do. Austin can get hammered and can walk away. JO would have to puff up like a balloon, and start lamenting about respect.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  3. #28
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    beat me by mere nano-seconds
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  4. #29
    Member indytoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,503

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know I'll be laughed all the way out of here but........ I think that Croshere has qualities that exemplify Mental toughness.

    Ok start your taunting now.
    I would agree with you on that one, actually - unfortunately having mental toughness and not having any talent are not mutually exclusive.

    While we're talking Croshere, would mental toughness preclude settling for bad shots all the time? I guess it depends on your motives.

    IndyToad
    I used my word of the day

  5. #30
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    I'm very sure that Croshere is encouraged to shoot the three. Rick always puts him in for more offense or to spread the floor.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  6. #31
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,153

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Kstat posted..."Of course, if Joe manages to fleece ONE MORE team out of a quality player, he's being upgraded in my book from "mentally tough" to "jedi master."
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

    He had to be using the Jedi Mind Trick on the opposing GM, that is the only explanation. Thankfully DW is a tridarian. Jedi Mind Tricks don't work on
    him, only money.


    owl

  7. #32

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    I think that Austin Still has that shot Left in there somewhere, but with all the injuries, I bet it's hard to set up and make the shot, that might sound stupid but,think about it, he's not Reggie. Cro is a pretty big dude to be lookin for a three, not as fast as a guard, and doesn't have the talent according to some (which I don't agree with).

  8. #33
    Member indytoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,503

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm very sure that Croshere is encouraged to shoot the three. Rick always puts him in for more offense or to spread the floor.
    Yeah, and it's too bad, cuz that's not really where he plays his best. To me Cro was always someone who could shoot the three if you really needed it, but he's not really a shooter.

    But this is getting a bit off-topic...

    IndyToad
    All the trappings of a full-course meal

  9. #34
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The title of your thread is "Let's talk about mental toughness..." Well, I'm talking about it, and all I'm saying is that this team, as it's structured, is not as mentally tough as either the Pistons or the Spurs, and that's why one of those two teams will be the next NBA champs. That became abundantly clear to me while I was watching the ECFs tonight. We probably would have beat the Heat, but we would have fallen to the Spurs. But that would mean we would have had to get past the Pistons first, and we saw what happened when they finally woke up in our series with them.
    Ok, there's not a thing in that post I disagree with. The Pacers aren't as mentally tough as those two teams, but those two are probably the top 2 in the league. I'd put the Pacers not too far behind.

    So what is the path forward? The Croshere / Artest dichotomy is a good example. In some definitions of "mentally tough" Croshere is the freaking man. He doesn't buckle under pressure, keeps his cool, etc. On the other hand, there's plenty of ways of defining mental toughness that make Croshere look like a rookie. It's easy to take him off his game. He can only do one thing, and if his shot isn't falling there's nothing else he can give you. I see what people are saying about Ron not being mentally tough, because there's no question a mentally tough individual doesn't try to quit on the team, even if the team captain's throwing him out. I'm not sure about the beer/stands thing, because I can totally imagine several mentally tough players doing the same thing.

    But here's the question I've been getting at. Of the people on this team, who is mentally tough, who is getting there, and who has no hope of ever making it? I'd put the list together like this:

    Mentally Tough:
    Dale
    Pollard
    AJ
    JJ
    Foster

    Getting There:
    JO
    Freddy
    Ron

    Not really sure:
    Jamaal
    Jax

    Nope:
    Bender
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  10. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    40
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Remember the look on Kendrick Perkins face when Carlisle picked him to take those free throws at the end of regulation in game 6 of the Celtics series?

    Mental toughness is the opposite of that.

  11. #36
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    I wouldn't disagree with Cro either.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  12. #37
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Stephen Jackson = Mentaly Tough

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •