Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Let's talk about mental toughness...

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Let's do a couple things with this thread.

    First off, let's talk about what a mentally tough individual looks like. Give me the criteria. When you say someone is mentally tough, what are you saying?

    EDIT: I originally said "name some individuals" but I take it back. I'd like to get a working definition of "mentally tough" before we start looking for players that fit it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #2
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Michael Jordan

  3. #3
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,705

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First off, let's talk about what a mentally tough individual looks like.




    Yeah, I'm a homer. But you can't tell me those aren't prime examples.

    The key feature, to me, is can you tell what quarter/situation it is by looking at the player's face/mannerisms. If you can't, that player is tough as nails.

    Mental toughness to me is characteriszed by the ability to be unaffected by pressure situations. These two guys show less emotion than any two pistons that I've ever seen.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  4. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    The players vs. teams thing is important, I think. I don't really think either of the Wallaces are mentally tough, but the Pistons as a whole sure are. The mental toughness of a team has a lot to do with its chemistry and coaching.

    But that's a different thing. Let's stick with players for now. And I'm not talking about naming names... what are the characteristics of a mentally tough player?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  5. #5
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    The Pistons are mentally tough. The Pacers are not. The Spurs are mentally tough. The Pacers are not.

  6. #6
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pistons are mentally tough. The Pacers are not. The Spurs are mentally tough. The Pacers are not.
    I call bull****. You don't make it through this season without a little bit of mental toughness. Coming out of the Celtics series, that's all anyone talked about. They weren't as mentally tough as the Pistons, fine. But that's not to say they're not tough at all.

    But enough on teams. What are the characteristics of a mentally tough player? How do you judge whether somebody is mentally tough?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  7. #7
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Mental toughness to me is characteriszed by the ability to be unaffected by pressure situations.

    ^^^Stephen Jackson

  8. #8
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dumars looks like one of those guys who looked 18 when he was 12.

  9. #9
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,705

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dumars looks like one of those guys who looked 18 when he was 12.
    You should see Joe's son. He's the size of the average NBA small forward, and he's still in highschool. He's already bigger than his dad.

    Of course, if Joe manages to fleece ONE MORE team out of a quality player, he's being upgraded in my book from "mentally tough" to "jedi master."

    Jerry West falls into the same catagory. The guy was stonefaced, wether it was regular season, or game 7 of the NBA finals.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. #10
    canyoufeelit
    Guest

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Michael Jordan. Dude owned the league. Don't even think about posting anybody else's name in the thread. He'd steal their lunch money and their brown paper bag too.

  11. #11
    PacersFan
    Guest

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    We're forgetting about Uncle Reg, it's got to take mental toughness to think you can still win a playoff game down 6 with 8 seconds left, or 25 points in the fourth, to substantially step up your play in the playoffs throughout your career, or to make that shot against the Bulls, Nets........

  12. #12

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Mental Toughness is the ability to never mentally be defeated by the game situation at hand, a win is not necessary to achieve mental toughness.

    Mental Toughness is the ability to play under the most physically painful and restricting factors, and never blame a poor performance on an injury.

    Mental Toughness is the ability to overcome a crowd that has turned on you or has given up hope, and win them back without mentally collapsing.

  13. #13
    Member indytoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,503

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    I'll name another couple things I consider to be characteristics of mentally tough players (aside from what K already mentioned, which I agree with)...

    A mentally tough player will not allow his opponent to get inside his head, to affect his game in a negative way. A mentally tough player doesn't allow his emotions to govern his game, instead he channels his emotions in a positive way. JO and Tinsley are prime examples of players who have never exibited this type of mental toughness.

    A mentally tough player (or team) will generally not become complacent when they have the lead in a game or series, nor will they become discouraged when they are behind in a game or series. The first is much much harder than the latter, and many teams and players that are otherwise tough still succumb to it.

    That's all I can think of for the moment.

    IndyToad
    Shake the face up

  14. #14
    Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    The Boston Celtics

  15. #15
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,925

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Mentally Tough: It might be hard to put into words but you know it when you see it.

    BTW: I agree with Harmonica.

    EDIT: And now that I've read Indytoad's post I agree with that as well.

    Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  16. #16
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I call bull****. You don't make it through this season without a little bit of mental toughness. Coming out of the Celtics series, that's all anyone talked about. They weren't as mentally tough as the Pistons, fine. But that's not to say they're not tough at all.
    The title of your thread is "Let's talk about mental toughness..." Well, I'm talking about it, and all I'm saying is that this team, as it's structured, is not as mentally tough as either the Pistons or the Spurs, and that's why one of those two teams will be the next NBA champs. That became abundantly clear to me while I was watching the ECFs tonight. We probably would have beat the Heat, but we would have fallen to the Spurs. But that would mean we would have had to get past the Pistons first, and we saw what happened when they finally woke up in our series with them.

  17. #17
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Mental toughness test Ľ http://www.sportsconfidence.biz/

    If you saw this test earlier on mental toughness don't bother. After you take the test of 168 questions, then they inform you there's a payment before they send it to you..

  18. #18
    3ptmiller
    Guest

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    PLAYER WHO HAVE MENTAL TOUGHNESS OR DESTROYING OTHERS MENTAL TOUGHNESS? YOU PICK

  19. #19
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,526

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    My thoughts on mental toughness are from a little bit of a differant perspective.

    I think, IMO, a lot of mental toughness comes down to focus. In other words do you lose focus or increase your focus at a particular time under certain circumstanses.

    Jordan obviousley is the single one player in our time you would point to & to me that was one of the overlying reasons for his greatness.

    He had the ability to not lose his focus & get caught up in a one on one match at the end of his career. He just went about his game & killed you in the process.

    But let's look at another lesser player who I think describes the mental toughness we are looking for.

    Derrick Harper when he played with the Knicks just was an absolute monster because when things got tough he got tougher. Starks you could take out of a game mentally, hell half the time he would take himself out. But not Harper. He would clamp down on defense, hit every shot he took & run the offense like a machine.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is that mentally tough players are not taken out of their games by tricks or bad shooting nights. They refocus & actually raise the level of thier game.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  20. #20
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Overall I don't think we have mental toughness but we do have players that do. Mental toughness to me is the concept of not being denied - another way of using Peck's focus description. Like Foster's third jump to get one rebound. SJax showed it to me when his offensive game wasn't going, he still brought it on defense. Dale has mental toughness just doesn't always have physically what it takes to get it done - but there is no question about his toughness. Reggie had it.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  21. #21
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,709

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    There are different types of mental toughness.

    Let me use Artest as an example in these situations

    Ability to play well on the road takes mental toughness. Artest is great at this and so is J.O. In fact they like it.

    Ability and willingness to take last second shots. This takes mental toughness. Pacers are very good in this situation maybe too good. Tins, Jax, J.O and Ron all want to take the last second shot.

    Ability to play through tough situations no matter what they are. Here is where the Pacers are weak. This means leaving the refs alone, playing through mistakes from yourself or teammates. Pacers need a lot of improvement in this area.

  22. #22
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Ron and mental toughness shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

  23. #23
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ron and mental toughness shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.
    You know, I was going to say the same thing. However I think I've rocked the boat already once or twice this week.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  24. #24
    Member Knucklehead Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ron and mental toughness shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.
    A couple months ago somebody here mentioned they wanted young emotional players -- warriors, and they didn't want experienced placid players in control of their emotions. Their examples were Jax2 vs. Croshere. I disagreed.

    I'm still debating with myself what this means. And you guys are on the verge of having this debate now. It strikes me that mental toughness and warrior attitude CAN be the same thing, and some of you apparently think it is, but I can't think of anyone who has both.

    How exactly does emotional in your face warrior mentality equate to mental toughness? I think they're two entirely different things and if you've got one, you're probably missing the other, although it is possible to be missing both.

    ????

  25. #25

    Default Re: Let's talk about mental toughness...

    I know I'll be laughed all the way out of here but........ I think that Croshere has qualities that exemplify Mental toughness.

    Ok start your taunting now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •