View Poll Results: PD versin of MFK - What do you do with PG13?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep PG13 and "Go ALL IN"

    53 50.48%
  • Trade PG13 and "Re-TOOL"

    13 12.38%
  • Trade PG13 and "Re-BUILD"

    33 31.43%
  • Other?

    6 5.71%
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 556

Thread: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    44
    Posts
    32,293

    Sports Logo

    Default POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Now that we know that PG13 isn't going to get the Super Max....what do you do going into the Summer?

    Option 1 ) Go "All In"

    - Make any trade necessary to put together the best roster that you can. Trade away 1st round picks, trade Myles, make as many "I take the Players you don't want for the Players that I don't want", etc....basically do whatever you want....just to surround PG13 with as much talent as possible to make one last ditch run to convince PG13 to stay AND THEN that he doesn't bolt in the Summer of 2018.

    Option 2 ) Trade PG13 and go into "Re-tooling" mode

    - Trade PG13 for quality Assets that can help you win now...not necessarily young Players. I don't know what Players that we can get....but the idea is to make a trade to build a talented roster that can compete and try to make a Playoff run with the existing talent that we have.

    Option 3 ) Trade PG13 and go into complete "Re-building" mode

    - Trade PG13 while getting back a complete re-build package of young Players and a 1st round pick, letting Teague go,trade Thad, Monta and AlJeff and simply building around a REALLY young roster alongside Myles. Think a really young Sixers roster that is built to develop over the long term.

    IMHO...I'm going with Option 2.....Trade PG13 and Re-tool around a Re-signed Teague, Myles, Lance, Thad, Pacers 1st and whatever quality veteran assets that we can get for PG13 while building Team chemistry over the next 2 years. We'd be looking at another 3 year plan.....but the intention is to build a solid core and prepare for the decline of Lebron by 2019 and beyond.
    Last edited by CableKC; 05-19-2017 at 02:21 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

  2. #2
    THE FRANCHISE Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,764

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Option 2 is probably the worst. Not good enough to win anything and not bad enough to potentially win the lottery.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    5,165
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Option 2 is probably the worst. Not good enough to win anything and not bad enough to potentially win the lottery.
    So like where we are now?
    Why so SERIOUS

  5. #4
    Member Ichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Shenzhen, China
    Posts
    1,612

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now that we know that PG13 isn't going to get the Super Max....what do you do going into the Summer?

    Option 1 ) Go "All In"

    - Make any trade necessary to put together the best roster that you can. Trade away 1st round picks, trade Myles, make as many "I take the Players you don't want for the Players that I don't want", etc....basically do whatever you want....just to surround PG13 with as much talent as possible to make one last ditch run to convince PG13 to stay AND THEN that he doesn't bolt in the Summer of 2018.

    Option 2 ) Trade PG13 and go into "Re-tooling" mode

    - Trade PG13 for quality Assets that can help you win now...not necessarily young Players. I don't know what Players that we can get....but the idea is to make a trade to build a talented roster that can compete and try to make a Playoff run with the existing talent that we have.

    Option 3 ) Trade PG13 and go into complete "Re-building" mode

    - Trade PG13 while getting back a complete re-build package of young Players and a 1st round pick, letting Teague go,trade Thad, Monta and AlJeff and simply building around a REALLY young roster alongside Myles. Think a really young Sixers roster that is built to develop over the long term.

    IMHO...I'm going with Option 2.....Trade PG13 and Re-tool around a Re-signed Teague, Myles, Lance, Thad, Pacers 1st and whatever quality veteran assets that we can get for PG13 while building Team chemistry over the next 2 years. We'd be looking at another 3 year plan.....but the intention is to build a solid core and prepare for the decline of Lebron by 2019 and beyond.
    He can still get the DPE, just not this summer.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ichi For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,820

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    I've lived through the 20 win seasons and I'm not talking one or two season, I'm talking 4 and even then getting out of the 20's only meant another 8 years of just being mediocre with one of those years another dip down into the 20's. People its a lot harder than you think it is. We had several lottery picks including 3 # 2 picks and we still could not pull out of it. Losing begets losing mostly.

    That being said I understand sometimes you just have to and you have no choice. But IMO we still have a choice. Unless Paul is lying and is already wearing gold and purple undies then he said he would stay if we were a contender. I know it would be a damn near hail marry to do it but anybody not named Paul George would be on the block and that includes Myles Turner which I believe you could get quit a haul for. I'd do anything to bring in anyone who could help us win right now which would include Dwight Howard if he could be had for the right price.

    We've never had a player of Paul's skill set. I would move heaven and earth to keep him. But only if he would really be willing to be here.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  9. #6
    #Biggie4NPOY Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,244

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless Paul is lying
    he's lying

    and people gotta get over PG walking like we're losing Lebron or something. DUDE COULDN'T MAKE AN ALL NBA TEAM AND WE'D BE GIVING HIM THE BIGGEST CONTRACT IN LEAGUE HISTORY.

    You guys gotta get a grip, we got mother****ers talking about the franchise moving because Paul George doesn't wanna play here anymore. A 4th team All NBAer isn't irreplaceable.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 05-19-2017 at 03:44 AM.

  10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  11. #7
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,820

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he's lying

    and people gotta get over PG walking like we're losing Lebron or something. DUDE COULDN'T MAKE AN ALL NBA TEAM AND WE'D BE GIVING HIM THE BIGGEST CONTRACT IN LEAGUE HISTORY.

    You guys gotta get a grip, we got mother****ers talking about the franchise moving because Paul George doesn't wanna play here anymore. A 4th team All NBAer isn't irreplaceable.

    Uh huh....



    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    PROUD 2 B A PACERS FAN! xtacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TURKEY
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,011

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and people gotta get over PG walking like we're losing Lebron or something. DUDE COULDN'T MAKE AN ALL NBA TEAM AND WE'D BE GIVING HIM THE BIGGEST CONTRACT IN LEAGUE HISTORY.
    this. he is not even close to deserving that kind of money.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,385

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he's lying DUDE COULDN'T MAKE AN ALL NBA TEAM AND WE'D BE GIVING HIM THE BIGGEST CONTRACT IN LEAGUE HISTORY.
    JEEPERS! He's already made all nba teams!

  16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  17. #10

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he's lying

    and people gotta get over PG walking like we're losing Lebron or something. DUDE COULDN'T MAKE AN ALL NBA TEAM AND WE'D BE GIVING HIM THE BIGGEST CONTRACT IN LEAGUE HISTORY.

    You guys gotta get a grip, we got mother****ers talking about the franchise moving because Paul George doesn't wanna play here anymore. A 4th team All NBAer isn't irreplaceable.
    But we know he could've easily made it. Don't know what he was doing for most of the season. And fuxk that, he should've still made it over Green. I want to PG to stay. But he wants out and it's obvious

  18. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,525

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he's lying

    and people gotta get over PG walking like we're losing Lebron or something. DUDE COULDN'T MAKE AN ALL NBA TEAM AND WE'D BE GIVING HIM THE BIGGEST CONTRACT IN LEAGUE HISTORY.

    You guys gotta get a grip, we got mother****ers talking about the franchise moving because Paul George doesn't wanna play here anymore. A 4th team All NBAer isn't irreplaceable.

    Assuming PG is gone a year from now one way or another. I predict it will take 10 years to obtain a player as good as PG. So maybe PG is not irreplaceable, but I believe it will take 10 years for the pacers get a player as good.

    (Probably longer)

    Call me crazy, old and senile if you wish, but I put the odds that PG is still in a Pacers uniform fall 2018 at 60%
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 05-19-2017 at 08:56 AM.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    16,802

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Assuming PG is gone a year from now one way or another. I predict it will take 10 years to obtain a player as good as PG. So maybe PG is not irreplaceable, but I believe it will take 10 years for the pacers get a player as good.

    (Probably longer)

    Call me crazy, old and senile if you wish, but I put the odds that PG is still in a Pacers uniform fall 2018 at 60%
    Without Paul, the pacers would be a poor enough team to have chances at drafting high caliber talent for the next few years.

  21. #13
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    57
    Posts
    16,804

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without Paul, the pacers would be a poor enough team to have chances at drafting high caliber talent for the next few years.
    Yeah, no, that won't happen and you know it. If we get into the top 4 in my lifetime I will eat a hat (offer ends if the Pacers are moved to another city).
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  22. #14
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,525

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without Paul, the pacers would be a poor enough team to have chances at drafting high caliber talent for the next few years.
    OK< lets look back at the last ten drafts and just see who is as good or better than PG now

    2016 - no
    2015 - Towns - of course he's never gotten close to the playoffs
    2014 - Keep in mind injuries are real factors. So no to Embid.
    2013 - 15th pick Antetokounmpo - but of course we could make the playoffs and have gotten him at 15
    2012 - Anthony Davis
    2011 - Irving? leonard - but then again he was the 15th pick, so we could make the playoffs and gotten him
    2010 - Wall
    2009 - Griffin? Harden, Curry
    2008 - Westbrook
    2007 - Durant

    The point I think that is made is this. Drafts average maybe 1 player as good as PG. Keep in mind of course, the pacers would only get one pick, they don't have all the picks. So lets say there is a 10% chance if you are a lottery team of getting a player better than PG in any given draft. Actually is a lot less than 10%, but even if we give you 10% chance. Easily could take 10 years and that is if you are picking in top 10 every year.

  23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  24. #15
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,525

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've lived through the 20 win seasons and I'm not talking one or two season, I'm talking 4 and even then getting out of the 20's only meant another 8 years of just being mediocre with one of those years another dip down into the 20's. People its a lot harder than you think it is. We had several lottery picks including 3 # 2 picks and we still could not pull out of it. Losing begets losing mostly.

    That being said I understand sometimes you just have to and you have no choice. But IMO we still have a choice. Unless Paul is lying and is already wearing gold and purple undies then he said he would stay if we were a contender. I know it would be a damn near hail marry to do it but anybody not named Paul George would be on the block and that includes Myles Turner which I believe you could get quit a haul for. I'd do anything to bring in anyone who could help us win right now which would include Dwight Howard if he could be had for the right price.

    We've never had a player of Paul's skill set. I would move heaven and earth to keep him. But only if he would really be willing to be here.
    The best post all year on the PG topic.

    I suggested yesterday if PG does give Pritchard 1 year to turn the team into a contender, I would expect Pritch will be making some crazy and risky trades. What does he have to lose, except PG which most of you think is gone anyway.

    If I am Pritchard, unless PG says there is absolutely zero % chance he will re-sign and that he doesn't want to play for the pacers ever again, I keep PG and call his bluff.

  25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  26. #16
    Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,884

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've lived through the 20 win seasons and I'm not talking one or two season, I'm talking 4 and even then getting out of the 20's only meant another 8 years of just being mediocre with one of those years another dip down into the 20's. People its a lot harder than you think it is. We had several lottery picks including 3 # 2 picks and we still could not pull out of it. Losing begets losing mostly.
    Absolutely!!!! Something that has always stuck with me and pissed me off at the time when we had to sit through those losing seasons. The Trailblazers had a really good team (mid/early 80s) and the Pacers had just played them really tough for a ball game but still lost of course. It was either Clyde Drexler or Jerome Kersey being interviewed after the game and a reporter asked a question about how the Pacers had played them tough and their thoughts. I paraphrase "I like them. They're good guys but the game really wasn't close actually. We were playing around and yeah they'e good guys and all but their talent level is more like a semi pro team.... Wow, as a fan that really hurt. When you go through 20 barely plus win seasons it does have an affect on you. Maybe it clouds my judgment but that's the reason I'm All In...
    Last edited by RWB; 05-19-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  28. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,988

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely!!!! Something that has always stuck with me and pissed me off at the time when we had to sit through those losing seasons. The Trailblazers had a really good team (mid/early 80s) and the Pacers had just played them really tough for a ball game but still lost of course. It was either Clyde Drexler or Jerome Kersey being interviewed after the game and a reporter asked a question about how the Pacers had played them tough and their thoughts. I paraphrase "I like them. They're good guys but the game really wasn't close actually. We were playing around and yeah they'e good guys and all but their talent level is more like a semi pro team.... Wow, as a fan that really hurt. When you go through 20 barely plus win seasons it does have an affect on you. Maybe it clouds my judgment but that's the reason I'm All In...
    It was Drexler that compared us to a CBA team.
    Last edited by Jose Slaughter; 05-19-2017 at 02:28 PM.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:


  30. #18
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,204

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've lived through the 20 win seasons and I'm not talking one or two season, I'm talking 4 and even then getting out of the 20's only meant another 8 years of just being mediocre with one of those years another dip down into the 20's. People its a lot harder than you think it is. We had several lottery picks including 3 # 2 picks and we still could not pull out of it. Losing begets losing mostly.

    That being said I understand sometimes you just have to and you have no choice. But IMO we still have a choice. Unless Paul is lying and is already wearing gold and purple undies then he said he would stay if we were a contender. I know it would be a damn near hail marry to do it but anybody not named Paul George would be on the block and that includes Myles Turner which I believe you could get quit a haul for. I'd do anything to bring in anyone who could help us win right now which would include Dwight Howard if he could be had for the right price.

    We've never had a player of Paul's skill set. I would move heaven and earth to keep him. But only if he would really be willing to be here.
    Part of all of those 20 win seasons was because the franchise, and the NBA in general, was in poor financial shape. Always having to get rid of draft picks because they wouldn't be able to afford salary. Whatever the exact details were, it was very much a 1970's and 1980's bunch of problems that the current Pacers wouldn't face. In most sports today, teams have to try to be "bottom of the barrel" bad for several years in a row. They'd get some draft picks that actually want to play here and that would keep butts in the seats to the point where they wouldn't be dropping curtains in the upper level. Even letting Teague walk and trading PG for 25 cents on the dollar (at worst) they'd still have money to sign SOMEONE since the money has to be spent. At worst, they'd be awful for two years and back to 35-42 wins (like they already are) in 3 or 4 years.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  31. #19
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,820

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Part of all of those 20 win seasons was because the franchise, and the NBA in general, was in poor financial shape. Always having to get rid of draft picks because they wouldn't be able to afford salary. Whatever the exact details were, it was very much a 1970's and 1980's bunch of problems that the current Pacers wouldn't face. In most sports today, teams have to try to be "bottom of the barrel" bad for several years in a row. They'd get some draft picks that actually want to play here and that would keep butts in the seats to the point where they wouldn't be dropping curtains in the upper level. Even letting Teague walk and trading PG for 25 cents on the dollar (at worst) they'd still have money to sign SOMEONE since the money has to be spent. At worst, they'd be awful for two years and back to 35-42 wins (like they already are) in 3 or 4 years.

    You make that sound so automatic.

    Let us review the Minnesota Timberwolves record for the past 10 years.

    32-50
    22-60
    24-58
    15-67
    17-65
    26-40
    31-51
    40-42
    16-66
    29-53
    31-51

    One year in the past 10 they have come close to almost being mediocre. Do you have any idea how many times in that decade they have started over or blown it up? I don't either but I know its more than twice. One of the big problems facing these franchises is that the losing wears on players. So let's say you draft a good player do you really think they cherish the thought of spending 7 years of their career winning 20-30 games a year. We have Paul George wanting to bolt right now and he has played in the playoffs almost every year he has been in the league and we've never been in the 30 win column during his tenure.

    You say that the Wolves are an anomaly, take a look at the 10 year record of the Kings or Wizards prior to the previous 3 years or 76ers or almost any other team that has tanked out. Sure there are a few who get that once in a generation player but they are few and far between.

    Also your version of what happened during the 80's is only partially correct. Yes we were a financial mess, no doubt. However for the most part the Pacers had their own top pick during the 80's (obviously minus the idiotic trade for Tom Owens) and we even got the # 2 pick 3 times and several top 10 picks (including taking the ROY at # 4). None of the top picks ever turned the club around and only after about 8 years did any of the picks who stuck it out started to gel into any form of a team and only then after they got Larry Brown to coach. Prior to hiring Brown the general standard thought was that we needed to start over again.

    Look I'm not saying tanking doesn't work on occasion, it does and there are things that can prove it. However tanking as a general rule typically begets losing which generally begets more losing and there are things that can prove that as well.

    There are no guarantees and there is no ONE way to win, if there were everybody would do it.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  33. #20
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,204

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You make that sound so automatic.

    Let us review the Minnesota Timberwolves record for the past 10 years.

    32-50
    22-60
    24-58
    15-67
    17-65
    26-40
    31-51
    40-42
    16-66
    29-53
    31-51

    One year in the past 10 they have come close to almost being mediocre. Do you have any idea how many times in that decade they have started over or blown it up? I don't either but I know its more than twice. One of the big problems facing these franchises is that the losing wears on players. So let's say you draft a good player do you really think they cherish the thought of spending 7 years of their career winning 20-30 games a year. We have Paul George wanting to bolt right now and he has played in the playoffs almost every year he has been in the league and we've never been in the 30 win column during his tenure.

    You say that the Wolves are an anomaly, take a look at the 10 year record of the Kings or Wizards prior to the previous 3 years or 76ers or almost any other team that has tanked out. Sure there are a few who get that once in a generation player but they are few and far between.

    Also your version of what happened during the 80's is only partially correct. Yes we were a financial mess, no doubt. However for the most part the Pacers had their own top pick during the 80's (obviously minus the idiotic trade for Tom Owens) and we even got the # 2 pick 3 times and several top 10 picks (including taking the ROY at # 4). None of the top picks ever turned the club around and only after about 8 years did any of the picks who stuck it out started to gel into any form of a team and only then after they got Larry Brown to coach. Prior to hiring Brown the general standard thought was that we needed to start over again.

    Look I'm not saying tanking doesn't work on occasion, it does and there are things that can prove it. However tanking as a general rule typically begets losing which generally begets more losing and there are things that can prove that as well.

    There are no guarantees and there is no ONE way to win, if there were everybody would do it.
    They've already had a taste of how bad things could be if he left FOR NOTHING--he was out for a year. Did they only win 20 games then? Did the franchise fall apart? It's not a stretch to think getting something in return for him would put them well above your worst-case scenario. What if he was surprisingly more responsible for some of the nonsense ("selfish dudes" era, etc) and general lack of chemistry than what the average fanboy would ever believe? You don't see any chance for the team to say, "finally, that drama is somewhere else" and end up better off in the long run with players who aren't worried about who they can recruit and take with them to their next team?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:


  35. #21
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,820

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They've already had a taste of how bad things could be if he left FOR NOTHING--he was out for a year. Did they only win 20 games then? Did the franchise fall apart? It's not a stretch to think getting something in return for him would put them well above your worst-case scenario. What if he was surprisingly more responsible for some of the nonsense ("selfish dudes" era, etc) and general lack of chemistry than what the average fanboy would ever believe? You don't see any chance for the team to say, "finally, that drama is somewhere else" and end up better off in the long run with players who aren't worried about who they can recruit and take with them to their next team?
    Well not to beat this dead horse but there is one HUGE difference between now and the year Paul broke his leg and that difference now coach's in Orlando. Do I think we might find out that Paul was a disruption behind the scenes? Sure, its possible and maybe even probable to a point but Paul is also something else that nobody on this team now or then comes close to. One of the top players in the NBA. I don't care about All NBA teams or other awards, I believe Paul is easily a top 20 player (probably much higher than that). But the drop off from Paul our best player to our second best player is like falling from the 101st floor to the first. Our second best player is either a second year player who hit the wall hard in the second half and never really recovered or a player who has been an NBA castaway for the past 3 years and was revived here in Indiana. So yes IMO you take Paul George off of the team as we have it currently constructed we are a low 30's win team.

    Now that does say something about Paul but it really say's much more about the state of our franchise. I just believe we are absolutely talent starved.

    Look again I'll say it. If we believe Paul is going to walk no matter what then yes move him now and get the best deal you can. But if he is serious about giving us a chance then IMO it would be better to make whatever moves necessary to win now and keep him. The draft is a crap shoot at best and even under the best of circumstances it takes years to develop most players.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  37. #22
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    861

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    I think "rebuild" is the right answer but mostly because I don't think "all in" is actually possible, at least in any way that matters. "Re-tool" is the absolute worst case scenario imaginable. I'd rather be awful than stay on the treadmill.

  38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:


  39. #23
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    9,146

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Tired of these discussions and people telling me I'm stupid, really tired.
    In My Opinion (told you before i'm not humble) it is not me who is stupid, thick or hard of hearing, but those who are shouting from the roof tops to get rid of Paul George, call him "not that good" and now 4th team all NBA (which means he is top 8 all NBA per his position) are just that.
    You can have the opinion and even state that IF you were a director of basketball YOU would, it remains just that; an opinion, and you repeating it ad nauseum in every thread or post may get you more "followers" it does not make it true, in fact the harder you shout the less impression you make, and well I won't opinionate about your followers.

    It is very simple something we wil have to wait and see what happens, NONE of US know what Paul is thinking, none of you were with him last night and he confided in NONE on this board.
    I really don't give a toss about 2nd/3rd/4th/5th or even 20th hand "truths", they are nothing but hearsay and thus useless "other" opinions.

    I have no opinoin, but facts are IF he gets an all NBA top 3 teams next year, he qualifies as long as he is with the Pacers, so the incentive does not dissapear, fact; He left a fair chunk of money on the table in his current contract by not demanding the top, but leaving room to improve the team (Q: what good did that do him?) fact: he keeps saying he loves Indy, so why does what magic, Kimmel or any other idiot says more true than what Paul says?
    fact; if he played like he played end of season/playoffs for a larger part of the season (instead of taking a backseat role to let the team grow) he would probably be 2nd team all NBA, an argument for 1st could perhaps be made.
    Fact; draft picks are more often than not a complete or partial bust, what makes PG special is that he isn't. trading him for any draftpick is a risk (there are no such things as sure picks) and that risk is HUGE if you compared tpo what we have.

    Please keep filling all threads shouting he needs to be traded, but remember you aren't exactly convincing me or anyone else that uses his cognitive capacities to a reasonable level.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  40. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  41. #24
    Member MUpaceSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,217

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tired of these discussions and people telling me I'm stupid, really tired.
    In My Opinion (told you before i'm not humble) it is not me who is stupid, thick or hard of hearing, but those who are shouting from the roof tops to get rid of Paul George, call him "not that good" and now 4th team all NBA (which means he is top 8 all NBA per his position) are just that.
    You can have the opinion and even state that IF you were a director of basketball YOU would, it remains just that; an opinion, and you repeating it ad nauseum in every thread or post may get you more "followers" it does not make it true, in fact the harder you shout the less impression you make, and well I won't opinionate about your followers.

    It is very simple something we wil have to wait and see what happens, NONE of US know what Paul is thinking, none of you were with him last night and he confided in NONE on this board.
    I really don't give a toss about 2nd/3rd/4th/5th or even 20th hand "truths", they are nothing but hearsay and thus useless "other" opinions.

    I have no opinoin, but facts are IF he gets an all NBA top 3 teams next year, he qualifies as long as he is with the Pacers, so the incentive does not dissapear, fact; He left a fair chunk of money on the table in his current contract by not demanding the top, but leaving room to improve the team (Q: what good did that do him?) fact: he keeps saying he loves Indy, so why does what magic, Kimmel or any other idiot says more true than what Paul says?
    fact; if he played like he played end of season/playoffs for a larger part of the season (instead of taking a backseat role to let the team grow) he would probably be 2nd team all NBA, an argument for 1st could perhaps be made.
    Fact; draft picks are more often than not a complete or partial bust, what makes PG special is that he isn't. trading him for any draftpick is a risk (there are no such things as sure picks) and that risk is HUGE if you compared tpo what we have.

    Please keep filling all threads shouting he needs to be traded, but remember you aren't exactly convincing me or anyone else that uses his cognitive capacities to a reasonable level.
    You do realize that people want to trade Paul George simply out of fear we're going to likely lose him for nothing, right? I think it is completely rational to want to get something back because what exactly will we have to look forward too if all we have is Myles Turner in the cupboard when he leaves? I don't want to be OKC and lose our Kevin Durant (well the most comparable thing we've had to a Durant). They at least had Russell Westbrook to fall back on, we do not. You cannot in your right mind tell me that you would rather lose him for nothing. That mentality sets the team back even further when he does leave. He has had every opportunity to shut down the talk of him leaving, but really just keeps fueling the fire. I don't want to keep cheering for a guy that doesn't want to be here, and appears to be letting the franchise run around with its head cut off. I don't think he's being honest with management, and is giving them false hope. That's absolutely terrible, and it's going to destroy this franchise if someone doesn't see through it and take action. It's time to trade him, whether you can see that or now, it's the right decision.

  42. The Following User Says Thank You to MUpaceSIC For This Useful Post:


  43. #25
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,505
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: POLL - What do you want to do with PG13?

    Quote Originally Posted by MUpaceSIC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You do realize that people want to trade Paul George simply out of fear we're going to likely lose him for nothing, right? I think it is completely rational to want to get something back because what exactly will we have to look forward too if all we have is Myles Turner in the cupboard when he leaves? I don't want to be OKC and lose our Kevin Durant (well the most comparable thing we've had to a Durant). They at least had Russell Westbrook to fall back on, we do not. You cannot in your right mind tell me that you would rather lose him for nothing. That mentality sets the team back even further when he does leave. He has had every opportunity to shut down the talk of him leaving, but really just keeps fueling the fire. I don't want to keep cheering for a guy that doesn't want to be here, and appears to be letting the franchise run around with its head cut off. I don't think he's being honest with management, and is giving them false hope. That's absolutely terrible, and it's going to destroy this franchise if someone doesn't see through it and take action. It's time to trade him, whether you can see that or now, it's the right decision.
    I'm not terrified of losing PG. Teams lose players and they recover. Yeah, it's a process, but teams recover. I really like Myles Turner and think he's got a high ceiling, so I'd be fine going young and building around him if we go that way.

    The part I bolded is the most important thing to me. He's not even Durant. Durant and Westbrook couldn't get it done together, so what will we need to pair with PG to get there? Is it possible? I think he's a great player, and my preference is to keep him and build a team with other stars like Hayward or Butler or Lowry or Griffin. But's going to take PG+two other stars+Myles becoming an All Star, and who knows if the front office will ever go to that extent??

    If we can make a deal that returns a lottery pick and young potential guys, I think we've got just as good a chance to compete with that moving forward as we do with PG, because I doubt the validity of these plans that require signing two more All Stars. It's not an easy call to make, and Pritch is 100% damned if you do, damned if you don't this offseason. But, to me, the value of PG to teams like Boston, LAL, LAC, Denver, Miami, Portland, etc, is higher than his value here because at the end of the day, I don't fully believe in him as the leader of a championship franchise without getting significant help.

    I'll be happy if he signs an extension and we get to keep one of the top players in the league and try to build around him. I'll be happy if we trade him for a decent package. I'll be less happy if he walks for nothing, but that'll allow us to go fire sale and start over clean, and Pritch can handle that. I'll be unhappy if he stays and trot out the mediocre roster and effort we had in 16-17 again for the duration of PG's time here, because I don't care if you consider him top 15, top 10, All NBA, or just All Star, PG himself isn't enough to ever get past LeBron or San Antonio or Golden State. I think the smart money is to get the best package you can out of him, even if it's less inspiring than the dreams of chasing multiple All Stars to team up with him.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •