Thread: 76ers fire O'Brien

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 76ers fire O'Brien

I guess that means Iverson & Webber will be stickin around...

Mo Cheeks the replacement btw

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 76ers fire O'Brien

Iverson's had how many coaches? How many teamates?
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

ImCrazyB

Well, O'Brien is the reason for the recent sixer failures.

They have a great team up in Philly, They just don't know how to use it. Move AI to SG, Korver to SF, Webber to PF, Dalembert at Center and get a PG who can pass the ball. I realize that AI will be mismatched as well as Korver..But it's not like they played defense last season anyways.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

naw, Webber will leave. He wants out of there so bad.

I think Jim OB is a good coach. Not sure what happended in Philly exactly.

Maybe Dipperdunk will check in

I'll say right now I think Jim OB is a better coach than Mo Cheeks

We'll see

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Mo is an underrated coach. Look at the situation he had to deal with in Portland.

ImCrazyB

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    naw, Webber will leave. He wants out of there so bad.
    Yeah, Everyone wants his 36 million dollar contract for the next 3 years.

ImCrazyB

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I think Jim OB is a good coach. Not sure what happended in Philly exactly.

Maybe Dipperdunk will check in

I'll say right now I think Jim OB is a better coach than Mo Cheeks

We'll see
    O'Brien loved AI's offensive abilities a little bit to much. He's an amazing player..But you can't expect to go far in the playoffs if you can't get your team involved.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm shocked you'd say that UB. I thought OB was big on the three point shot and really wanted to bring Fatoine to Philly instead of Webber. Him and Iverson had all sorts of problems as well.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

I like Cheeks but I think O'Brien is a better coach so I'm not crazy about the move. Also I thought the 76ers were playing pretty good at the end of the season.

Billy King was frustrated with the way O'Brien handled some of the players. He played a yo-yo game with Dalembert's minutes all season; King signed Skinner to a 5 mill per year deal in the offseason and he played well last time in Philly but was essentially a DNPCD until he was traded to the Kings where he played well. Kenny Thomas was benched early in the season and feuded with O'Brien because of his system after averaging 19 and 10 after the all-star break last season he struggled in O'Briens defensive system.

I think the nail in the coffin was a game in Atlanta just after the Webber trade where Webber was benched for about a 12 minute stretch and was upset with O'Brien. Billy King probably wasn't too happy with what had already happened with Dalembert,Thomas and Skinner so for him to see the same thing happening with Webber that was probably the end of the rope for O'Brien.

There was also some problems with O'Brien letting Iverson "freelance" too much on offense. There was a stretch in March where the 76ers offense looked like they were trying to play like the Harlem Globetrotters; chucking 3's like crazy, throwing alley-oops etc.,, no discipline or structure. Korver had a game where he took 15 three pointers.

I promise you the Sixers won't be as good a defensive team next season (assuming thy have the same personnel)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I promise you the Sixers won't be as good a defensive team next season (assuming thy have the same personnel)
    That's because of Dick Harter, not O'Brien.

While I never like when coaches are made the fall guy for a ****ty GM who setup a mismatched roster, I'd take Cheeks over O'Brien easy. O'Brien's too gimicky, plays to his star players too much, isn't consistent about much of anything besides over-reliance on the 3.

Cheeks isn't great, but the job he did last year was amazing. Getting that pisshole roster to play .500 ball in Portland of all places was pretty unbelievable. Not his fault the GM didn't have the balls to back him up with Miles.

It's all on Iverson now. He got his coach, he's got to man up and make that team win.

[edit] DD summed up exactly what I think of when you ask me about an O'Brien coached team:

Quote Originally Posted by dipperdunk
    There was also some problems with O'Brien letting Iverson "freelance" too much on offense. There was a stretch in March where the 76ers offense looked like they were trying to play like the Harlem Globetrotters; chucking 3's like crazy, throwing alley-oops etc.,, no discipline or structure. Korver had a game where he took 15 three pointers.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by ImCrazyB
    .But you can't expect to go far in the playoffs if you can't get your team involved.
    Put that in the Pacers' lockerroom...

I think the Sixers are screwed until they 'get over' AI.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden