Thread: Confused by AJ's quote

Default Confused by AJ's quote

"You can have all the talent you want and you can have the best team, but that really doesn't equate much into anything because you have to stay healthy and you have to be mentally tough...One thing you have to tip your hat off to Detroit is that when things aren't going their way, they stick with it and hang in there. You never really question their effort. I feel that's one thing they have on us, and we have to get to that level if we really want to truly compete for a championship."

_________

I've read that quote several times and I still don't know if he is saying that the Pacers don't play as hard as the Pistons or if he is saying that when things don't go the Pacers way they fall apart mentally. Or maybe he's saying both.

I think the Pacers generally play as hard as any team in the league incuding the Pistons. I don't think that is a problem.

However, I think when things go bad within a game the Pacers players tend to get away from the game plan, go their own ways, try to win the games themselves and are not as mentally tough as the Pistons.

Default Re: Confused by AJ's quote

I think that he's saying the Pistons do all of these things so well, it seems like every player on their team goes into win, they all show an agressive attitude and show up when they're really needed. When the Pacers showed even a little weakness... or whats the word I'm looking for...someone tell me,anyway....The Pistons saw it, attcked it, and advanced to the ECF's.

Let's face it the Piston's were down the whole game, sometimes by steep sums, but still fought bcak to win the game. When the pacers were down by 15, then 9, then 6, it seemed like they got so excited but then the lead went back to 15 or more,it was crazy, we could never even it.

I do think that the Pacers, by far, are the hardest working team in the league (at least this season). They have had to come through so much just to be in the playoffs, they even advanced farther than anybody virtually in the entire sports world thought possible. Maybe I saw all this because I've been a lifetime fan, but if I didn't I don't think that I would be a fan, and if I said the opposite, I might be Indytoad.

Angry Re: Confused by AJ's quote

I think he is referring to tinsley...

because tinsley cannot stay healthy and lose focus when things dont go his way...

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

However, I think when things go bad within a game the Pacers players tend to get away from the game plan, go their own ways, try to win the games themselves and are not as mentally tough as the Pistons.
    You can read the quote several ways but since what you say here is the Pacers' main problem IMO (in Boston the effort came and went but not vs Detroit) I'd read it to mean that - a loss of focus and discipline, not effort.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    I'd read it to mean that - a loss of focus and discipline, not effort.

The Celtics were even worse than the Pacers in the focus and dicsipline department.

Banned

He's talking about mental toughness, and the two that I think he's calling out a little bit are JT and JO....probably JT more.

A lot of people are giving JO a pass because of the injury, but think back through the history of the NBA, and the truly GREAT players compete just as hard, or ever harder, when they are injured.

Getting back to the topic on the other thread about JO not being able to be the 'face of the pacers', and I think it's about toughness. He talks the talk, but so far he doesn't always walk the walk. Once he does, then I believe he will earn the respect of the players to the point that he is the Leader of the team.

You can't just declare yourself the leader, start talking tough and have all the other players start respecting you just because you said so. I think some of the Pacers' players respect Ron Artest more than they respect JO and it might, at some point develop into a divided locker room.

That's why Reggie was the leader. The other players respected him completely.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This, IMO, is a definite sign of the frustration plenty of the Pacers had with each other this year. We all saw how AJ would get into it with Jax when Jax started losing his mind. It has been discussed on here several times the confrontations between JO and Artest, or JO and his ego. Austin Croshere shed some light on the team's suspicion of Artest next year. If we notice how Jamaal always seems to come up gimpy after the All-Star break, then the players must as well. Then of course there is always Bender.

This team has a lot of kinks to work out. And with the loss of Reg, next year this team may lose what ever focus it had and we may begin to see an erosion. Perhaps Rick knows this and thats why he said the roster will need changes. AJ is a solid vet from two finals appearing teams. All this extra baggage that the core of the Pacers carry probably gets to him.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    "You can have all the talent you want and you can have the best team, but that really doesn't equate much into anything because you have to stay healthy and you have to be mentally tough...One thing you have to tip your hat off to Detroit is that when things aren't going their way, they stick with it and hang in there. You never really question their effort. I feel that's one thing they have on us, and we have to get to that level if we really want to truly compete for a championship."

_________

I've read that quote several times and I still don't know if he is saying that the Pacers don't play as hard as the Pistons or if he is saying that when things don't go the Pacers way they fall apart mentally. Or maybe he's saying both.

I think the Pacers generally play as hard as any team in the league incuding the Pistons. I don't think that is a problem.

Well, when things weren't going our way, it seemed like we did crawl into a shell (i.e. getting blown out a couple of times). We weren't very consistent this year in the playoffs at all.
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he is referring to mental toughness and the lack of effort. This team stops hustling when it loses it's mental focus. They seem to go hand in hand with this team, especially JO and JT. This team has a long, long way to go to be even in the same conversation as the Pistons when it comes to the mental side of the game.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin