Thread: JO's Jump Shot?

Default JO's Jump Shot?

As I start to read the threads about what must change/improve for next year, I must put in a plea for JO to stop thinking he is the reincarnation of Jack Sikma. JO's 15-18 foot jump shots must stop if we are to improve next season. Where is the JO of three or four years ago? He could (and would) drive left, go right, spin and use up and unders which would spin the heads of most defenders. Now, we are lucky if we see him with his back to the basket more than once a game. I have watched JO warm up on the practice court. He just isn't that good a jump shooter. In practice, he is lucky to hit 50%. In a game, he's lucky to hit 40%.

This is not a blind criticism. I do realize his shoulder was hanging on by a thread the last few months. My concern is this single "move" has been his first, second and third option for the last 3 years.

JO - there is not a defender (except Rashweed) who can guard you on the low post. Get in there and win us a championship.

Default Re: JO's Jump Shot?

You can't really blame him in the playoffs, as he was afraid to drive with the right shoulder. You saw it in the first round, there were too many close calls on him furthering injury to that shoulder.

And yes, he did shoot outside too much in the regular season, but after he came back from the suspension he was deadly from there.

I hope that Rick realizes this and actually makes him go inside.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's almost like Kenyon Martin got into his head when he burned him in that game 5 against NJ.. You remember when Kenyon got his timing down and JO has been a jump shooter ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Huxtable
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

And yes, he did shoot outside too much in the regular season, but after he came back from the suspension he was deadly from there.
    That's just not accurate. He had a few games that were about 50% but in more he was lucky if he could get 40%. ....Unless you consider that deadly.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I guess I have a bad memory, but I remember him scoring 25+ almost every night and I remember the majority of the shots being from oustide the lane.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't he average about 36.5% in the playoffs?

I have no problem with his jump shot. However, he needs to use it synchronisally with his lowpost game. It should compliment, not take over.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

This is JO's FGM and FGA from his return in Dec thru Jan (starting with Dec 25). While there are a few good games in there overall I wouldn't call it 'deadly'. As for point totals, as you can see, several games he took several shots to get those totals.

7-19
    7-15
    9-24
    13-25
    18-28
    12-30
    11-19
    6-15
    12-23
    13-29
    12-29
    12-26
    10-23
    8-23
    14-28
    7-19
    10-22
    7-18
    8-19

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This is JO's FGM and FGA from his return in Dec thru Jan (starting with Dec 25). While there are a few good games in there overall I wouldn't call it 'deadly'. As for point totals, as you can see, several games he took several shots to get those totals.

7-19
    7-15
    9-24
    13-25
    18-28
    12-30
    11-19
    6-15
    12-23
    13-29
    12-29
    12-26
    10-23
    8-23
    14-28
    7-19
    10-22
    7-18
    8-19

-Bball
    Ewwww, Reggie took 29 attempts to get career high 57 points!
    But i dont blame JO for taking so many Jumpshots, he maybe was afraid to not get injured again with his unhealed shoulder. Hopefully we will see some changes next season and hopefully more passes from him when he gets doubled?

canyoufeelit

JO needs to realize he is not Dirk and should not be shooting jumpers 75% of the time. That is absurd for a 7 foot post player with his skillset. He needs to watch some tape of Tim Duncan, Amare Stoudemire, and Shaq instead of KG. KG forces shots and plays like an SG - takes tons of fadeaways too. KG can get away with it because he practiced his shot a ton, but JO is a below-average shooter. Duncan, Amare, and even Shaq take the jumper only when the defender sags off him. Otherwise, they're going inside 100% of the time.

I'm not sure that I mind JO taking jumpshots, I'm not saying that he should abandon low post play, but when there aren't any other options the jumpshot is a good choice; however, he could also pass out more.

Does anybody else feel like once he came back with the injury he started the Kevin Mchale black hole? The only difference between the Kevin Mchale black hole and The JO hole is that the Mchale one was a compliment. Not to say that JO isn't a great player, and he didn't battle and wasn't a warrior, but there were so many options open Jax, Reggie, even JJ.

As for the Jumper, I think he should stick with it. For being a big man, he's pretty good at it when you don't think about the Dirk and Rasheed doing all that they do outside.

I think that saying that JO should curttail his jumpshots is ludicrous.

It's just not that simple. Have you actually broken down JO's performance, shot by shot to see what he is hitting and what he is missing? I HAVE. At least for the games of the Detroit series.

Bottom line is this. I'd encourage Jermaine to shoot a FACE-UP jumper anywhere inside of about 18-20 feet. I'd discourage him from taking his fadeaway-turnaround jumper outside of about 5 feet... and that would be taking away about 40% of his shots.

And I'd tell Carlisle and his staff to devise plays that will get JO his shots facing the basket. Screens by Jeff and Dale would be a good place to start.

You get JO open looks, where he doesn't have to chicken-fight for post position, and he will know down the shot the vast majority of the time. With those changes, I honestly think he would improve to over 50%.

I agree with you beast23.

Well of course if J.O. can get the ball deep in the lane and shoot a little 3 foot turnaround we would all like that, but that is not going to happen against the good defensive teams. J.O has some real physical deficiencies that keeps him from getting get deep low-post position. The little pick and pop plays have to be a large part of J.O's game.

Maybe the offense needs to run through Artest more often next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I agree with you beast23.

Well of course if J.O. can get the ball deep in the lane and shoot a little 3 foot turnaround we would all like that, but that is not going to happen against the good defensive teams. J.O has some real physical deficiencies that keeps him from getting get deep low-post position. The little pick and pop plays have to be a large part of J.O's game.

Maybe the offense needs to run through Artest more often next season.
    Maybe JO needs to make teams pay for the doubleteams and help defense that comes his way when he gets the ball? Get it to an open teammate for an open jumper. Pass it back out and then immediately receive it again as the defense is caught adjusting and get better position for a more open shot.

Simply don't hold it, hold it, hold it while the defense stiffens and then force a shot into the teeth of the defense.

Also, while he is working on his game he might want to consider learning to use the glass some from the sides which I think is an easier shot and harder to block.

These are things that have little or nothing to do with the injury.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

You will note in my first message that I referred to him driving to the hoop and working with his back to the basket. The driving part is where is has fallen off in the last few years. JO has (had?) one of the quickest first steps for a big man I have seen. He can go left or right with his dribble. He could also spin and finish with both his left and right hand. With all those moves, then why does he settle for a jump shot? That is my issue. His settling for the quick hit. In the flow of the game, he will get a lot of open looks from 15-18 ft. But that is by design. The defense would rather him take that shot then putting the ball on the court and working around his defender. Of course you could argue that he is double-teamed more now. If so, then why are his assists not higher? The problem is that he gets open (or lots of times - not open) and chucks a shot with a lot of time on the clock.

To improve for next year, JO needs to use his full range of skills.

Bball the Pistons did not double team J.O. they pretty much let him go one-on-one, except when J.O got deep in the lane and then Ben would come over.

Shaggy,

The problem we experienced with JO against the Pistons is that Rasheed did an excellent job of pushing JO out away from the basket. His post position was not established 6-8 feet from basket, but instead he was receiving the pass probably more like 12-14 feet from the basket.

I agree that JO is equally adept with either hand NEAR the basket. I also agree that in the past he has shown excellent quickness near the basket against most PFs and nearly all centers... although I suppose to state that he still has that same level of quickness could re-open the weight issue.

But what I've seen since his return from his injury, particularly against Detroit, is that he does not have the quickness to get around a capable defender (like Sheed). In post-up situations, that results in one of the horrid turnaround jumpers that I was talking about.

When JO received the ball out on the floor, 16-18 feet from the basket, you probably noticed Sheed or a help defender attempting to get to JO as quickly as possible. Their goal was to make him play with his back to the basket or, if they couldn't make him turn his back to the basket, to at least contest his shot by getting a hand up on his 16-18 foot jumper.

But there is no doubt that the Pistons would rather face JO at 12-14 feet with his back to the basket than to allow him to either post p at 8 feet or face the basket at 16-18 feet.

My opinion is that if we are going to play JO posted up 12-14 feet from the basket, then get him leaner so that he has a better chance of driving. If he's going to maintain 260#, then get him posted at 6-8 feet, or set screens for the man and let him drill 16-18 foot jumpers all night long.

In the Detroit series, Rick kept saying that we were getting open looks and that we just weren't knocking them down.

I guess I take exception to that. There is a world of difference between an open look to enable you to get a shot off, and an open look that is well within the player's comfort zone that provides an opportunity that maximizes the players odds to make the shot.

In other words, there's the open shot, then there's the makeable shot. You maximize the number of makeable shots you take in a game, and you will absolutely increase your shooting percentages, and will therefore put more points on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Bball the Pistons did not double team J.O. they pretty much let him go one-on-one, except when J.O got deep in the lane and then Ben would come over.
    I know that... My comments were about his game in general, not just against the Pistons.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Maybe JO needs to make teams pay for the doubleteams and help defense that comes his way when he gets the ball? Get it to an open teammate for an open jumper. Pass it back out and then immediately receive it again as the defense is caught adjusting and get better position for a more open shot.

Simply don't hold it, hold it, hold it while the defense stiffens and then force a shot into the teeth of the defense.

Also, while he is working on his game he might want to consider learning to use the glass some from the sides which I think is an easier shot and harder to block.

These are things that have little or nothing to do with the injury.

-Bball
    I agree with you BBall, you are absolutely correct.

But one more thing you have to notice about Jermaine is that when he has the ball, he always looks at the basket and concentrates ONLY on the things that Happen in front of him... he forgets the open people behind him, he forgets the SG and PG. That is what makes him not pass from a double team, thats where he needs to improve... He lacks "the sense to know where all his teammates are"...