Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    vnzla has brought up this point a few times too: Why would any guys like Hayward choose to come to Indiana with PG being such a massive uncertainty?

In a lot of ways, and I don't think it's intentional, PG is holding the Pacers' organization hostage right now.
    While I wouldn't call it vindictive, I don't see how you can say it isn't intentional. If he wanted to loosen the reigns on this he could have done so at any time by making a public statement. There is no way he doesn't know the consequences of staying silent. He's got a goal here.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    What's even crazier is that this was statistically his best season.

You have hit on something. I listen to NBA radio all day everyday and there has been a narrative since I would say the first of the year, "PG is struggling, he is not as good as before the injury". That was the predominant conversations about PG until the trade deadline when a few rumors hit that PG might be traded and god forbid he told a teammate(s) he wants to play in LA since then it is PG didn't have a good season and he now wants out. OK, with that, There are callers and NBA radio hosts openly discussing PG's bad attitude, calling about bogus trade rumors.........It has been remarkable and incredible.

Just shows how a little information a narrative starts and spreads and doesn't stop.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

vnzla has brought up this point a few times too: Why would any guys like Hayward choose to come to Indiana with PG being such a massive uncertainty?

In a lot of ways, and I don't think it's intentional, PG is holding the Pacers' organization hostage right now.
    PG has no reason to limit his options. If the grass appears greener in LA or any other option next year by this time, he's going to leave.

I will say though that I am excited that Pritchard is in charge, who has a reputation for being aggressive because either way he goes (all in or fire sale), I think the Pacers will move with full force--which is how it should be.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nothing happens without having an indication from Paul what he wants to do. And almost nothing happens without Paul in the room. That's how you get guys to sign here. The group that thinks we'll just sign some big star and let PG make up his mind later is delusional. If he isn't committed, he's traded. If he's committed, then he's involved in conversations with free agents and in lock step with Pritch about moves being made.

I think Paul has a ton of talent, but not at the level of LeBron or Durant or Curry. In spite of clearly being a step behind those guys, Paul wants the attention and stature that those guys enjoy. That's why he says whatever he thinks in interviews, because he's the golden boy. That kind of attitude didn't fly with Bird. Bird ran the show and didn't care what a player had to say about it, no matter who. So if you want him to stay, give him a little rope. Get his opinion on coaches, free agents, strategy, identity. Bring him into these meeting to talk about how great the team would be with him and Hayward or Lowry or Griffin. Let him have a little of that influence he wants, and he's going to stay here.

Or, don't give him that type of influence. Move on, trade him for the best package you can get. This is looking a lot like Melo in the Denver days. Big time star wants to be the new logo for the league, but ultimately, he's a big fish in a small pond and if he goes to LA, they won't be any better than Melo's Knicks have been. But if you're not willing to give that fish a little slack, he'll snap the line and swim away.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    PG has no reason to limit his options. If the grass appears greener in LA or any other option next year by this time, he's going to leave.

I will say though that I am excited that Pritchard is in charge, who has a reputation for being aggressive because either way he goes (all in or fire sale), I think the Pacers will move with full force--which is how it should be.
    If PG says he will stay if we show we're serious about wanting to win, I believe Pritchard will do everything he can to make that happen. A lot is just going to depend on whether PG is a man of his word.
    2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS & 2010 AFC CHAMPIONS

1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, & 1987 NCAA CHAMPIONS & 2002 NCAA FINALISTS
    1970, 1972, & 1973 ABA CHAMPIONS & 2000 NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

If PG says he will stay if we show we're serious about wanting to win, I believe Pritchard will do everything he can to make that happen. A lot is just going to depend on whether PG is a man of his word.
    I am curious of how much success the Lakers have next year will play into PG wanting to leave. If they are a dumpster fire and we push the Cavs to 7 games. PG qualifies for the DPE then maybe he resigns.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    He's got a goal here.
    What possible goal is it other than somebody on the Pacers pissed him off and he wants to get revenge? 99% of all of this is speculation built on voodoo interpretations of dissected statements. Up until today, there was no reason for him to be certain at all because he didn't know what all his options were (why commit to Indiana not knowing about the DPE issue, etc.) The problem is that folks have it in their heads that he has completely made up his mind, while everything he has done so far supports a "don't know yet" interpretation just as easily - but that isn't newsworthy so that one gets ignored.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

If we keep Paul for next year, will he still be motivated to make the all NBA team? And if he does, does it help us or hurt us?
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around Paul and Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree. I think him making an All NBA team next season could really help our chances though. If Pacers can show we're serious about winning while adding him an additional cool +$70M, I think that's a lot to turn down. It's not as though the Lakers are exactly 'contenders' either. Yes, they have a lot of young talent, but PG could also spend his remaining prime years trying to 'baby sit' young talent. By the time some of those guys are 'ready', PG will be 32 or 33 (much like his career trajectory with Turner right now).

Makes me believe if PG gives Pritchard 1 year, we are going to see some wild trades and signings. KP admitted himself that his tendency is to make a lot of moves, and if PG says I'll re-sign next summer if I see we have turned into a winner. I would expect Pritchard to take some huge gambles. He has nothing to lose. Could make for a crazy offseason and an even crazier trade deadline if we are struggling. And what is Herb Simon is willing to pay to try and improve to the team in order to keep PG.

I was told by someone with reliable knowledge that the exit interview was tense and confrontational and that management would have traded him that very day if possible. PG knows the effect that he is having on the Pacers right now.

Name-calling signature removed

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Banta For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Makes me believe if PG gives Pritchard 1 year, we are going to see some wild trades and signings. KP admitted himself that his tendency is to make a lot of moves, and if PG says I'll re-sign next summer if I see we have turned into a winner. I would expect Pritchard to take some huge gambles. He has nothing to lose. Could make for a crazy offseason and an even crazier trade deadline if we are struggling. And what is Herb Simon is willing to pay to try and improve to the team in order to keep PG.
    If he decides to keep George...so be it. I can respect the motivation. But if he keeps him now and then deals him at the deadline... oh boy. You think the offers for him are bad now? 30 cents will become 10 cents.

Whatever happens, just commit to it. The wishy washy deadline of 2017 possibly cost Indiana the #1 pick. Now if they keep him through the start of the season they could possibly lose out on a top-10 pick. And that's fine... but commit to it.
    Last edited by Kstat; 05-18-2017 at 03:54 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    I was told by someone with reliable knowledge that the exit interview was tense and confrontational and that management would have traded him that very day if possible. PG knows the effect that he is having on the Pacers right now.
    This makes more sense than what was publicly said about the exit interviews. Fits with the things I heard about PG wanting out.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Cleva For This Useful Post:

How so? From both sides or just one side?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    If he decides to keep George...so be it. I can respect the motivation. But if he keeps him now and then deals him at the deadline... oh boy. You think the offers for him are bad now? 30 cents will become 10 cents.
    No, I am not suggesting trade him at the deadline. I'm just suggesting if PG gives him an ultimatum, the Pacers will make some very risky trades.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    How so? From both sides or just one side?
    Depends. Are you in the "Paul George is an *******" camp or the "Pacers ownership and FO are ********" camp?
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

What's crazy....I rather hear that, than him dropping subtle hints in the media. However, I don't trust him, because of the PF situation when he gave a half-*** attempt to try it which forced Vogel to play CJ Miles at the PF spot. KP could bust his butt to build the team, but Paul George doesn't give Indiana 100% effort on the court.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

That's interesting. Even with the possibility of all-NBA for PG? Or did everyone think it was unlikely at that point.

EDIT: Also, the exit interview was before Bird stepped down right? Was that why Bird stepped down?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    That's interesting. Even with the possibility of all-NBA for PG? Or did everyone think it was unlikely at that point.

EDIT: Also, the exit interview was before Bird stepped down right? Was that why Bird stepped down?
    Yes. And that makes a lot more sense.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Cleva For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    Larry was asking for BKN's 2017 and 3 of the 4 of Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder and Avery Bradley.
    Atlanta was offering 4 picks and players. Denver, "monster deal."
    Where in the world are you getting all this stuff? What are you doing, reading Breitbart or something?
    Maybe reading too many of Grimp's trade infused postings?
    Last edited by Tom White; 05-18-2017 at 04:25 PM.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Where in the world are you getting all this stuff? What are you doing, reading Breitbart or something?
    Inside sources

35. The Following User Says Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Inside sources
    When I read back through some of your posts, I gotta say you are feeding out some serious bologna now.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    When I read back through some of your posts, I gotta say you are feeding out some serious bologna now.
    Just look those deals up. They aren't made up. Im not gonna make **** up & post it on here.

This is a pretty simple situation. Herb Simon needs to open up his wallet and agree to dip into the luxury tax for a couple of seasons.
    Paul signs a 2 year extension to give KP a chance to build the contender. Pacers sign Hayward and resign Teague or a more defensively oriented Point guard. Trade Thad for a bruiser who can rebound.

It can be done!

It all depends on the owner to open up his pocket book and make a strong showing that he actually wants to win a Championship. Look at this playoffs! Clearly PG is an X-factor to beat Lebron. We actually put up a fight and had the lead late in 3 of the 4 games, we just didn't have the horses to push us across the finish line. Toronto and Boston are getting blown out every game. The time to strike is now. KP needs to be in Simon's ear, if 2 teams who are supposed to be superior to the Pacers got crushed, then we aren't as far off as you think.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This is a pretty simple situation. Herb Simon needs to open up his wallet and agree to dip into the luxury tax for a couple of seasons.
    Paul signs a 2 year extension to give KP a chance to build the contender. Pacers sign Hayward and resign Teague or a more defensively oriented Point guard. Trade Thad for a bruiser who can rebound.

It can be done!

It all depends on the owner to open up his pocket book and make a strong showing that he actually wants to win a Championship. Look at this playoffs! Clearly PG is an X-factor to beat Lebron. We actually put up a fight and had the lead late in 3 of the 4 games, we just didn't have the horses to push us across the finish line. Toronto and Boston are getting blown out every game. The time to strike is now. KP needs to be in Simon's ear, if 2 teams who are supposed to be superior to the Pacers got crushed, then we aren't as far off as you think.
    If the team were in a position to sign Hayward, I'm more than sure Simon would pay the tax. He's done it before.

Unfortunately Hayward signing with the pacers is far from a likely event.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post: