Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not so for Boston. IT will need an extension soon. Bradley, Olynyk also. Plus that 1st round pick.
    They can go over the cap for Olynyk if they want. Bradley and IT aren't up until next season, so it has nothing to do with this summer.

As it stands this is the final year they'll have the cap flexibility to make a splash signing, so they need to go all in on Hayward (if he's a target). IT is going to get paid soon.

With that said they could sign Hayward, pay Olynyk (if they want) and either try and extend Bradley early OR trade him. Ohh and they can draft Fultz in the meantime.

They're in a good spot as long as Ainge doesn't mess it up

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    They can go over the cap for Olynyk if they want. Bradley and IT aren't up until next season, so it has nothing to do with this summer.

As it stands this is the final year they'll have the cap flexibility to make a splash signing, so they need to go all in on Hayward (if he's a target). IT is going to get paid soon.

With that said they could sign Hayward, pay Olynyk (if they want) and either try and extend Bradley early OR trade him. Ohh and they can draft Fultz in the meantime.

They're in a good spot as long as Ainge doesn't mess it up
    Hayward would likely take just about all their money (and they possibly have to free up a small amount of money just to sign him), so they would almost certainly have to renounce Olynyk's cap hold and not extend Bradley, Thomas, or Smart early if they signed him. Obviously they would take that choice all day, but they don't have the option to do both.

FIRE PRITCHARD! TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    None of that will keep them from signing Hayward this summer. Bradley and Thomas won't be free agents until 2018 and they will worry about payroll when they get to that point. And they will not shed one tear over losing Kelly Olynyk if it means they can get Hayward.

If Thomas walks in 2018, they honestly won't care. They're going to draft his eventual replacement with the #1 pick anyway.
    That was the post that keeps giving... refresh... new sentence... refresh... new sentence... refresh... new sentence... refresh... new sentence...

Quote Originally Posted by natjjohn View Post
    Going to be a dark time for the Pacers unless they fluke their way to a star at 18 in the draft. Super unlikely.

Hate to be negative but this could be such a nosedive that leads to a team sell and relocation
    I think Simon has made it pretty clear he's keeping the team in Indiana or selling to someone who will keep it in Indiana.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    Hayward would likely take just about all their money (and they possibly have to free up a small amount of money just to sign him), so they would almost certainly have to renounce Olynyk's cap hold and not extend Bradley, Thomas, or Smart early if they signed him. Obviously they would take that choice all day, but they don't have the option to do both.
    If they want to go into the luxury tax, they can absolutely re-sign Thomas and Bradley. Not sure they would do that for both though, since one would definitely come off the bench behind Fultz by then.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    They could extend them AFTER he signs, no?

If they want to go into the luxury tax, they can absolutely re-sign Thomas and Bradley. Not sure they would do that for both though, since one would definitely come off the bench behind Fultz by then.
    They can re-sign them next summer using Bird Rights, but Ace was talking about possibly extending Bradley early this summer.

And I was right and I was wrong about that extension. If they want to extend Bradley and not give him any extra money in 2017 as part of the extension, they don't need any cap space. But if they do that, the salary in the first year is limited to 107.5% of his current deal. Bradley isn't taking that, so realistically there is no extension coming unless they have cap space to give him extra money this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    They could extend them AFTER he signs, no?
    yes.

If they get Hayward this summer that's going to free them up to finally deal Crowder, Bradley, Smart. A lot hinges on Gordon. Ainge isn't worried about 2018 as a lot of the players mentioned are likely traded

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cleva View Post
    Woj doesn't say much in the video but its significant.

Indy needs to get as much value as possible for George now - and it doesn't look like they can get 1 or 2 either.

This sucks.
    No, they needed to get as much as the could for him at the trade deadline!
    Why so SERIOUS

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    What's even crazier is that this was statistically his best season.
    It depends on what statistics people are looking at. The advanced statistics that try to measure overall value have it somewhere between his 2nd and 5th best season of his career. Most of that is due to the statistics seeing severe defensive regression, but the ones that break out offense don't even have it as the best offensive season of his career.

I'm not saying that's the end all be all because those statistics have flaws as well. But it certainly is not clear cut that this was his best statistical season.

Sports Logo

looking back on it now, it really does seem kinda like Bird didn't necessarily get fired but it wasn't exactly his choice either. which, if it really went down that way, is pretty surprising to me. figured Larry had carte blanche.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    looking back on it now, it really does seem kinda like Bird didn't necessarily get fired but it wasn't exactly his choice either. which, if it really went down that way, is pretty surprising to me. figured Larry had carte blanche.
    The Simons apparently have the stones. They knew he would be better as a scout. They didn't make billions of dollars being idiots.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Sports Logo

Donnie Walsh went through basically this exact same thing but from the other side obviously. I remember the reports being he didn't wanna give up what they did for Melo but Dolan said make it so. however it happened it's a good thing to have an exec w/ that sorta experience still hanging around.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cleva View Post
    This is even worse.

Who the hell is this dude!? He was the same person that broke the infamous notion of Paul George being deadset on going to LA.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Who the hell is this dude!? He was the same person that broke the infamous notion of Paul George being deadset on going to LA.
    And PG's done nothing to dispel that notion, if anything he's encouraged it. Sam Amick a legit NBA reporter that knows what he's talking about.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

What sucks is had PG been dealt @ the deadline 98% of Pacers fans & PD would have rioted & called for Bird's head. Even had he landed the #1 pick & others. There was only a couple on here including myself that was all in on a PG move.

Now look where we're at

And PG's done nothing to dispel that notion, if anything he's encouraged it. Sam Amick a legit NBA reporter that knows what he's talking about.
    That may be the most telling thing for me. Paul has yet to come out and say much of anything that dispells these ideas or conversation. Definitely makes you wonder

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    What sucks is had PG been dealt @ the deadline 98% of Pacers fans & PD would have rioted & called for Bird's head. Even had he landed the #1 pick & others. There was only a couple on here including myself that was all in on a PG move.

Now look where we're at
    If you care what the fans think you deserve to be sitting in the stands with them. A GM is supposed to be the adult in the room.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Now look where we're at
    Consider me the VP of your club, lol.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm of the opinion PG is gone this summer. my biggest question is what to do with Teague. do you want to tie $20mm+ a year into the age 29-33 years of a good but not great point guard to do...what? win 30 games instead of 20?

Count me on the trade PG bandwagon. He is leaving.

If you care what the fans think you deserve to be sitting in the stands with them. A GM is supposed to be the adult in the room.
    Well he made the absolute wrong move. And I think that the fans had something to do with it. If Bird traded PG he wouldn't have been able to show up to games.

Now look at us

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    Count me on the trade PG bandwagon. He is leaving.
    Little late buddy

I'm of the opinion PG is gone this summer. my biggest question is what to do with Teague. do you want to tie $20mm+ a year into the age 29-33 years of a good but not great point guard to do...what? win 30 games instead of 20?
    Nobody know what the pacers will look like in a couple months. They may want Teague to come back and they may not. I'm guessing no but at the moment gotta wait for the first shoe to drop.

Sports Logo

Well he made the absolute wrong move. And I think that the fans had something to do with it. If Bird traded PG he wouldn't have been able to show up to games.

Now look at us
    Larry Bird couldn't give less of a **** about how fans react to a move

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Now look at us
    Disagree. Bird doesn't even care what Paul George thinks. I doubt he cares what fans think. He's just uber-competitive and would rather quit than facilitate a rebuilding process.

I can't really blame Bird for being Bird, though. They knew who he was when they hired him.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: