Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

What does it mean to put together a contender these days? Can I remind everyone that we are about to witness two teams blowing through the NBA on their way to finals. It will be unsurprising to see perfect records in the playoffs for both contenders.

In retrospect, as frustrated as I was with the outcome and our team this year, we actually look pretty good compared to Boston and Toronto thus far. We actually looked competitive.

Where is the grass going to be greener in either the East or West for the next couple of years?

What is Paul actually looking for? My bet is that the team culture here affected Paul this year. He saw people on his team who went through the motions. He started to do the same. That's the thing that needs to dramatically change IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by docpaul; 05-19-2017 at 01:17 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What does it mean to put together a contender these days? Can I remind everyone that we are about to witness two teams blowing through the NBA on their way to finals. It will be unsurprising to see perfect records in the playoffs for both contenders.

In retrospect, as frustrated as I was with the outcome and our team this year, we actually look pretty good compared to Boston and Toronto thus far. We actually looked competitive.

Where is the grass going to be greener in either the East or West for the next couple of years?

What is Paul actually looking for? My bet is that the team culture here affected Paul this year. He saw people on his team who went through the motions. He started to do the same. That's the thing that needs to dramatically change IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Part of the blame with regards to the team culture and not holding people accountable apparently then should fall on our superb headcoach, I'm so excited Nate is still with us, so he can improve on that horrific accountability from Vogel... [/sarcasm_off]
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I meant sign Hayward without making the trade. So Hayward plus everything they already have (thus not making a move for Paul)

Depending on what they give up, I'm not sure adding Paul to Boston minus a few good role players puts them in a spot to beat Cleveland, but its MUCH easier to consider if Paul is for sure extending.

However if you can sign Hayward and keep all of what you already Have, then you're in business. Especially if that #1 overall pick becomes an annual AS type of player
    Re-read what I'm saying. Hayward is obviously not in the equation, ie not signing with Celtics with what I'm saying. Of course signing Hayward outright is best move.

But if you can't, Celtics trading go PG straight up, give up nothing else, would be a move the Pacers have to take and a move the Celtics should consider. Personally I would do it, a real shot at a chip, and I doubt PG leaves if you make a run to the Finals.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    If we're pretty sure PG isn't coming back, I'd trade him to Boston even for no Brooklyn pick. I'd do Brown/Smart and a future first, and then let Teague go in the offseason.
    I'm thinking an offer of IT/Brown/Zellar/pick might come. Not sure how I feel about it. We have a new starting pg and a young prospect in Brown. IT is a stud but will be looking for huge money but I'd rather pay PG. Zellar is a throw in that'll come off the books next year. The Pick will be a late first so nothing really there.

IT/Monta
    Lance/Pick
    Brown/GRIII
    Thad/Hans
    Turner/Seraphin

Really doesn't look that good

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    I'm thinking an offer of IT/Brown/Zellar/pick might come. Not sure how I feel about it. We have a new starting pg and a young prospect in Brown. IT is a stud but will be looking for huge money but I'd rather pay PG. Zellar is a throw in that'll come off the books next year. The Pick will be a late first so nothing really there.

IT/Monta
    Lance/Pick
    Brown/GRIII
    Thad/Hans
    Turner/Seraphin

Wait, you think Boston is going to give us IT for PG? Lol.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    Wait, you think Boston is going to give us IT for PG? Lol.
    Woj said IT likes security. Said he may take issue to having Fultz as their future pg. With having Smart/Bradley/Fultz and IT with IT being in his last year, he'd make the most sense to trade especially if they believe this might be an issue.

IT/Monta
    Lance/Pick
    Brown/GRIII
    Thad/Hans
    Turner/Seraphin

It's amazing what goes through people's minds. No way Indiana would do this deal. Isiah Thomas was 2nd team All-NBA. Plus a pick & Jaylen Brown? They would have to give us Avery Bradley & next year's Nets pick as well to have any sorta legs to this.

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    Re-read what I'm saying. Hayward is obviously not in the equation, ie not signing with Celtics with what I'm saying. Of course signing Hayward outright is best move.

But if you can't, Celtics trading go PG straight up, give up nothing else, would be a move the Pacers have to take and a move the Celtics should consider. Personally I would do it, a real shot at a chip, and I doubt PG leaves if you make a run to the Finals.

Gotcha. Not sure how I got confused.

Yes if I'm Indy, I make that trade and don't look back (as much as I hate to say). Its a potentially good deal for Boston as well. I think if he agreed to an extension before hand, then I'd probably do the deal as a straight up swap.

Woj said IT likes security. Said he may take issue to having Fultz as their future pg. With having Smart/Bradley/Fultz and IT with IT being in his last year, he'd make the most sense to trade especially if they believe this might be an issue.
    No, Bradley makes the most sense to trade.

No, Bradley makes the most sense to trade.
    Bradley would make the most sense, but if management thinks having Fultz on the team may cause issues with IT, why keep IT? if they believe Fultz is their future?

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    It's amazing what goes through people's minds. No way Indiana would do this deal. Isiah Thomas was 2nd team All-NBA. Plus a pick & Jaylen Brown? They would have to give us Avery Bradley & next year's Nets pick as well to have any sorta legs to this.

You think Boston would truly offer IT/Bradley/Brown and 2 picks for PG? No way they go that much in IMO. I don't see IT and Bradly. They want to shed Zellar's contract so possibly the Pacers would have leverage to get the Net's first.

If Paul is extending with Boston, then yes you consider making a move for Paul for assets. I'd agree. I'd be a tad more patient in my approach. Especially if I feel I can sign Hayward without giving up a thing.

But the only way I'm even listening about trading for Paul is if he's extending.
    Like Freddie said, a PG deal would have to happen after Hayward stays in Utah. PG is far better than Hayward, but keeping your assets and getting Hayward is hard to pass up. I just wouldn't need an extension to do the deal. It is unrealistic to expect a guy to skip his first free agency and make a commitment to a team he has no connection with yet. The fact he is expiring is the cost of doing business. If PG was on a long term deal trading Fultz might get you an autographed pair of his new shoes, but it doesn't even get you in the conversation for acquiring Paul George. But as a GM if I didn't think I could get PG to stay, that would be because I had no faith in my own abilities.

All of this is just about what I would do by the way. I expect Ainge will keep the pick, make a run at Hayward, and ride it out no matter what. I also expect the Pacers and Celtics will win the same number of championships in the next 10 years, but at least they have some to remember.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

If you're Boston, you're hoping your number one overall pick ends up being a PG level player (or better).

Why trade that guy
    Darko.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around Paul and Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard

17. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Darko.
    That's what everyone else is hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Darko.
    Even worse, Anthony Bennett. If I recall correctly even our own draft expert T-Bird loved that dude and would have taken him #1 overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    Even worse, Anthony Bennett. If I recall correctly even our own draft expert T-Bird loved that dude and would have taken him #1 overall.
    Well if T-Bird liked Anthony Bennett then all of PD liked Anthony Bennett.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

If Boston is trading IT, I hope we jump all over it, LOL.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    My bet is that the team culture here affected Paul this year. He saw people on his team who went through the motions. He started to do the same. That's the thing that needs to dramatically change IMO.
    A couple things about your post.

1. Paul keeps saying he is/wants to be the leader of this team, and yet in your scenario he is not a leader, but is a follower. If he is to be a leader it would be up to him to kick some butt on the guys who are just going through the motions, not to join their ranks.

2. What prevades the situation from being the reverse of what you have stated? Could it be other players seeing him going through the motions for good sized parts of the year, and they then follow their "leader"?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    A couple things about your post.

1. Paul keeps saying he is/wants to be the leader of this team, and yet in your scenario he is not a leader, but is a follower. If he is to be a leader it would be up to him to kick some butt on the guys who are just going through the motions, not to join their ranks.

2. What prevades the situation from being the reverse of what you have stated? Could it be other players seeing him going through the motions for good sized parts of the year, and they then follow their "leader"?
    I think PG wants to be the leader, but he doesn't know how. I don't think it's necessarily a knock on him. There aren't many guys who are natural leaders, whether it's in basketball or any other activity. The question is, can he grow into the role? Maybe, maybe not.

I do think Lance's return helps here, because he appears to have more natural leadership qualities. Maybe that's what PG needs to kickstart his motor, I dunno.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I think PG wants to be the leader, but he doesn't know how. I don't think it's necessarily a knock on him. There aren't many guys who are natural leaders, whether it's in basketball or any other activity. The question is, can he grow into the role? Maybe, maybe not.

I do think Lance's return helps here, because he appears to have more natural leadership qualities. Maybe that's what PG needs to kickstart his motor, I dunno.
    Yes, PG is not a natural born leader. It's far better if he's on a team WITH a guy like that. I'm not sure Lance is that type of guy either but he's a lot closer than anyone else currently on the team.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

I'm not so sure that Lance has natural leadership qualities as much as he is naturally passionate. Passionate people tend to rub off on others, even if they have no other leadership quality. That is something about PG that has always seemed to lack. He gets hyped from time to time, but he doesn't really seem passionate.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

You know what I think would be a heck of a master plan? Now I know this would probably not be possible if there are some type of nba rules on things I don't know about, but it would definitely p*ss some people off and be considered unethical if found out... lol BUT.... IF PG and Pritchard would come up with a master plan as follows.... It would be a thing of beauty... and the ULTIMATE PRITCH-SLAP !!

PG retweets thing like he is doing with Boston, as well as LA and maybe another team... Kinda keep them guessing, all the while the master plan be that he is helping the Pacers to have a bidding war started between Boston and LA... And in the end... FLEECE the Celtics for the #1 pick and another good player.... THEN.... there would be an understanding that in his mind and known to Pritchard and the Pacer's organization secretly, that PG would not sign an extension and after a year of playing with the Celtics, and more than likely winning the ECF or possibly even a title for Boston (to ease the pain when he leaves, at least leaving them with a title or ecf title lol)..... THEN we offer PG max contract in 2018/2019 , have Boston's #1 pick and have built a team while PG was away, all the while clearing enough space to sign Paul George ..and bring him home

Yea I know definitely dreaming... I just thought it sounded interesting enough to share being that it is so diabolical lmao..
    "They want to be famous. We want to be champions. They want to be rappers and backup dancers. We want to play football." - T.J. Ward, Denver Broncos

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    You know what I think would be a heck of a master plan? Now I know this would probably not be possible if there are some type of nba rules on things I don't know about, but it would definitely p*ss some people off and be considered unethical if found out... lol BUT.... IF PG and Pritchard would come up with a master plan as follows.... It would be a thing of beauty... and the ULTIMATE PRITCH-SLAP !!

PG retweets thing like he is doing with Boston, as well as LA and maybe another team... Kinda keep them guessing, all the while the master plan be that he is helping the Pacers to have a bidding war started between Boston and LA... And in the end... FLEECE the Celtics for the #1 pick and another good player.... THEN.... there would be an understanding that in his mind and known to Pritchard and the Pacer's organization secretly, that PG would not sign an extension and after a year of playing with the Celtics, and more than likely winning the ECF or possibly even a title for Boston (to ease the pain when he leaves, at least leaving them with a title or ecf title lol)..... THEN we offer PG max contract in 2018/2019 , have Boston's #1 pick and have built a team while PG was away, all the while clearing enough space to sign Paul George ..and bring him home

Yea I know definitely dreaming... I just thought it sounded interesting enough to share being that it is so diabolical lmao..
    So sort of like what the NBA did for LeBron?

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I'm not so sure that Lance has natural leadership qualities as much as he is naturally passionate. Passionate people tend to rub off on others, even if they have no other leadership quality. That is something about PG that has always seemed to lack. He gets hyped from time to time, but he doesn't really seem passionate.
    Nobody to my knowledge ever claimed Lance was a leader. His passion is legendary, however.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post

This is exactly what I hated about Lebron's first exit from Cleveland. At least that guy stayed away multiple years. I know it would be super beneficial for us, but I'd have a hard time feeling good about a team that was built that way.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post: