Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whoever has him at the end of the year can offer the best contract. Lakers want that option. Pacers keep him, he has said in the past he wants to be known as the greatest Pacer ever. They can offer more money and an extra year, he may take it, Lakers miss out. Boston trades for him, he wins, he loves it re-signs. That's why they trade for him
    I think this is a very underrated thing that a lot of people are ignoring. Like you said, trading for him allows you to offer him the most money, therefore giving you better odds to keep him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MUpaceSIC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I was bitter for a while after we lost Grant Hill, because we were offered Chris Webber for him the summer before and said no. In retrospect, that was idiotic. Fortunately, we got bailed out anyway with the Ben Wallace severance package.
    And we have the Lance contingency plan. It's like the Durant Westbrook situation in OKC. PG leaving allows Lance a path to MVP.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by natjjohn View Post
    Going to be a dark time for the Pacers unless they fluke their way to a star at 18 in the draft. Super unlikely.

Hate to be negative but this could be such a nosedive that leads to a team sell and relocation
    That's the nightmare scenario I was surprised no one else mentioned. The people of Indianapolis are so flaky and fair weather that they won't support a rebuild if that envolves losing PG. If we got the #1 draft pick overall that would be intriguing but I still expect a serious downturn of interest (or a media backlash) if this happens, ala Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    That's the nightmare scenario I was surprised no one else mentioned. The people of Indianapolis are so flaky and fair weather that they won't support a rebuild if that envolves losing PG. If we got the #1 draft pick overall that would be intriguing but I still expect a serious downturn of interest (or a media backlash) if this happens, ala Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck.
    no one acknowledged it because it's ****ing stupid. the team's not moving because they're gonna lose a dude that can't make All NBA 3rd team.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I think fans would embrace the team if Paul George is traded for a top 5 pick and a young player. I would be thrilled to watch young players grow instead of a treadmill team. At least there would be hope they improve enough to become a legitimate contender once Lebron retires.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MUpaceSIC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MUpaceSIC View Post
    I think this is a very underrated thing that a lot of people are ignoring. Like you said, trading for him allows you to offer him the most money, therefore giving you better odds to keep him.
    I don't think anyone would argue teams aren't willing to trade for George. The problem is, they aren't going to give you as good of an offer as you could have gotten at this season's trade deadline. So now you have to take a lesser offer, or just hold on to PG and pray that he stays here. Nobody would be happy with the former, and the latter is a potential disaster. The situation is not good, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimePacerFan View Post
    I don't think anyone would argue teams aren't willing to trade for George. The problem is, they aren't going to give you as good of an offer as you could have gotten at this season's trade deadline. So now you have to take a lesser offer, or just hold on to PG and pray that he stays here. Nobody would be happy with the former, and the latter is a potential disaster. The situation is not good, to say the least.
    I think we could still get just as much. All it takes is for teams to start bidding. L.A. would easily panic and offer their pick so they could be in a position to pay him more and not risk losing him. The thing is Pritch has said that he doesn't want to trade Paul and he shouldn't.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I think this whole thing about him telling his teammates in the locker room might be true, but not very informative or predictive. Do you at work ever talk about stuff, maybe moving to Florida or California, or wanting to live in a certain city. It is just talk, I think about a lot of things, I might say some stuff that maybe I dreamed about, but that doesn't mean I will do it.

I think his "telling his teammates" like it is some deep dark secret is bogus. People talk about stuff every day, how many people do 10% of the stuff they talk about.
    Paul George hasn't been the most mature of Pacers players so I could see him doing exactly what you're saying with no thoughts to how it might impact his leadership or inspire (or not) the players around him.

In fact, I could even see him doing it thinking it was a good idea and would inspire his teammates by hearing how he's got options to be paid handsomely and wanted by a glamour market and they get to play on the same team with him right now (until he bails).
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What about Vogel? If he thinks he can talk Paul into staying with him in Orlando could we get their pick and some players? At the very least it might scare the Lakers into giving up more and start a bidding war.

Also, I wouldn't count out Pat Riley. He's one of the best in the business and I could see him making a play for Paul.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Some of you guys are just too easily swayed. Most thought that the odds were against Paul making the all nba team and I'm sure our F.O. and Paul were prepared to work with that scenario. Paul has said that too much has been made of his wanting to play for the Lakers just because he grew up there. I doubt if Pritchard had changed his mind on how he's going to approach this off season with this news and he's said that he's going into it with the plan to keep Paul George.
    We haven't heard a peep from PG or Pritchard today but now everyone is convinced that we're losing Paul for nothing.
    If I were Pritchard I'd just make a statement saying that I've already told you my plans and that hasn't changed.
    Whats your source for this? If he did in fact say this, it would help fans feel a lot better about the situation. Not that what fans think should concern Paul about whats best for him.
    "THIS IS MY CITY."- PAUL GEORGE

I don't discount the impact Paul's departure would have on the Pacers. He's the leading scorer and he's a star.

What I can't agree with is the idea that he is a franchise player. He's not a cornerstone. What I see in his play is that he's not a natural, instinctive baller. He's one heck of an athlete and he's a very good basketball player but he lacks the instinct of top tier players and that is why he isn't and likely never will be elite.

I also really believe that LA knows this and sees Paul as bait to help them lure a true elite player. I think LA really wants Westbrook and they hope having a player like Paul in the fold will help them lure a true elite player.

Name-calling signature removed

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Banta For This Useful Post:

The people of Indianapolis are so flaky and fair weather
    **** up a rope

Name-calling signature removed

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeHill View Post
    What about Vogel? If he thinks he can talk Paul into staying with him in Orlando could we get their pick and some players? At the very least it might scare the Lakers into giving up more and start a bidding war.

Also, I wouldn't count out Pat Riley. He's one of the best in the business and I could see him making a play for Paul.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Fuxk I hope he doesn't come to Miami

PG has basically said he is out. It's time to trade him

Quote Originally Posted by perryb85 View Post
    Whats your source for this? If he did in fact say this, it would help fans feel a lot better about the situation. Not that what fans think should concern Paul about whats best for him.
    He said it in an interview shortly after the trade deadline.

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    PG has basically said he is out. It's time to trade him
    He hasn't said anything like that.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

sav

Pacers have a clue in all this. If PG actively recruits with free agents we'll keep, if he doesn't we'll trade him for whatever we can get.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    He hasn't said anything like that.
    Look at his interview view Kimmel. He then tags himself in a tweet about an article saying the Celtics should trade their pick for Butler or George

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    Pacers have a clue in all this. If PG actively recruits with free agents we'll keep, if he doesn't we'll trade him for whatever we can get.
    Exactly. If Paul really wants to stay here, he should be recruiting Free Agents.

Quote Originally Posted by MUpaceSIC View Post
    At least there would be hope they improve enough to become a legitimate contender once Lebron retires.
    This should be the team motto:

The Indiana Pacers
    Where we are always waiting for someone else's era to end.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    **** up a rope
    Truth hurts?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

He supposedly was going to do that last off-season. Did we see any signs of it? We certainly didn't see any results of it. I just don't think he is the sort to put that into play, or would be good at it.

As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, what if he actually did try to recruit for the Pacers last off-season and got rejected by everyone he approached? How does that affect him? Does he say "Man, if I can't get anyone to come here, how can Bird or Pritchard ever get me help?"

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

If I'm a team, I'm not trading for one season of PG when I could sign him next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    He supposedly was going to do that last off-season. Did we see any signs of it? We certainly didn't see any results of it. I just don't think he is the sort to put that into play, or would be good at it.

As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, what if he actually did try to recruit for the Pacers last off-season and got rejected by everyone he approached? How does that affect him? Does he say "Man, if I can't get anyone to come here, how can Bird or Pritchard ever get me help?"
    Lol, did Pacers get a meeting with any big free agents?

Pacers will get a meeting with Hayward, if PG is there or tells the Pacers he will be there we'll keep PG. If not, we'll trade him for whatever.

You think when PG said he would help recruit last summer he was going to just bring in guys and setup meetings??

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    If I'm a team, I'm not trading for one season of PG when I could sign him next summer.
    If I'm Boston or LA I would do it. A lot can change, bird in the hand.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post: