Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

Default Re: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

I have nothing wrong, not a regret in the world trading the 15th pick for George Hill. I don't blame Bird for not drafting Draymond Green. Anyone can look back at any draft & find players they should have drafted. Those are the top 2 issues Pacers fans have with Bird. Which is stupid.

The #1 & #2 problem I have with Bird is not dealing Paul @ the deadline & also the Thaddeus Young Trade. Everything else I can live with. I wasn't mad about the Monta signing or the Al Jefferson move. Actually I hated the Hansbrough pick too.* but the #1 thing I'll never be able to forgive him for is holding onto PG at the deadline. A franchise altering move or lack of move. A franchise killing mistake. Awful. Awful. Awful.

Good luck Pritchard.

Go Colts

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have nothing wrong, not a regret in the world trading the 15th pick for George Hill. I don't blame Bird for not drafting Draymond Green. Anyone can look back at any draft & find players they should have drafted. Those are the top 2 issues Pacers fans have with Bird. Which is stupid.

The #1 & #2 problem I have with Bird is not dealing Paul @ the deadline & also the Thaddeus Young Trade. Everything else I can live with. I wasn't mad about the Monta signing or the Al Jefferson move. Actually I hated the Hansbrough pick too.* but the #1 thing I'll never be able to forgive him for is holding onto PG at the deadline. A franchise altering move or lack of move. A franchise killing mistake. Awful. Awful. Awful.

Good luck Pritchard.

Go Colts
    I was bitter for a while after we lost Grant Hill, because we were offered Chris Webber for him the summer before and said no. In retrospect, that was idiotic. Fortunately, we got bailed out anyway with the Ben Wallace severance package.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Larry Bird couldn't give less of a **** about how fans react to a move
    I don't know about that. Dealing Paul George is a little different. Don't compare Granger's situation to Paul's either.

Sports Logo

just realized Georges Niang is literally the only guy we have on a guaranteed contract after next season. Lance and Turner are team options that are gonna get picked up (be good Lance!), Thad's a player option, Monta's a player option but I'm still unclear if we can Stuckey him for free or not. anyway, if Pritchard wants to reboot this mother****er he can do it pretty quick.

I don't know what I Love P's hatred of the Thad deal is btw. that's a good player on a good contract that a helluva lotta teams would love to have.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I was bitter for a while after we lost Grant Hill, because we were offered Chris Webber for him the summer before and said no. In retrospect, that was idiotic. Fortunately, we got bailed out anyway with the Ben Wallace severance package.
    Funny...I just made a comment about you rarely make comments about the Pistons, lol.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Sports Logo

I'm of the opinion PG is gone this summer. my biggest question is what to do with Teague. do you want to tie $20mm+ a year into the age 29-33 years of a good but not great point guard to do...what? win 30 games instead of 20?
    Personally, I wouldn't resign him. Why commit the money on a rebuilding team?

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't resign him. Why commit the money on a rebuilding team?
    You have to spend it on someone. The salary floor is rather high.

At the very least, pay for assets you can trade for picks at the deadline.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo

no you don't. owners have to meet the floor and give that money to players. you don't have to sign long term deals that may not make sense just for the sake of meeting the floor. the salary floor is a complete non-issue, there are zero penalties for not meeting it cap wise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

no you don't. owners have to meet the floor and give that money to players. you don't have to sign long term deals that may not make sense just for the sake of meeting the floor. the salary floor is a complete non-issue, there are zero penalties for not meeting it cap wise.
    well, the penalty is you have to give the difference to the players you already have, rather than signing better players that you can use in trades later on, or younger players to develop down the road.

My point is that money is already spent, why not use it

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think I can bear to watch the Pacers next season if I know full well our best player doesn't even want to be on the team. Because it is pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I don't think I can bear to watch the Pacers next season if I know full well our best player doesn't even want to be on the team. Because it is pretty obvious.
    If Pritchard has any sense at all your best player will be Myles Turner at that point, or maybe Julius Randle or D'Angelo Russell.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

well, the penalty is you have to give the difference to the players you already have, rather than singing better players that you can use in trades later on, or younger players to develop down the road.
    or instead of having a 30 year old point guard in a league full of great point guards on a 30 win club you have cap space to trade into to help with asset collection.

what do you think is worth more to a rebuilding team, Jeff Teague on a 4 year/$90mm deal or straight up cap space, I think it's the latter. and I think that's true for the majority of the league regardless of what stage of contention they're in.

I don't know where you're getting these mythical young guys you can just sign outright that can turn into something but I'll take a few.

Sports Logo

because dispersing it for a year compared to doing it for 4 years that may not make sense is a way better option

because dispersing it for a year compared to doing it for 4 years that may not make sense is a way better option
    Maybe not offer that large or that long a deal, but yeah a player like teague would be worth a lot to an contender with health issues at point guard.

I don't know where you're getting these mythical young guys you can just sign outright that can turn into something but I'll take a few.
    The Spurs manage do do it every year.

At the very least, pay for assets you can trade for picks at the deadline.
    Agreed. Spend it on Hayward. His parents live 5 minutes from me and wouldn't have to travel to see him play. He can go chase rings later.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Sports Logo

Maybe not offer that large or that long a deal, but yeah a player like teague would be worth a lot to an contender with health issues at point guard.
    so sign him to a huge deal w/ the backup plan of it not working out being hope Kyrie Irving breaks his leg. great plan my guy. that's a Bird move. this team needs to bottom the **** out.

The Spurs manage do do it every year.
    the Spurs also practice voodoo. but yeah, Spurs do it, why the hell can't everybody else?!

Sports Logo

well, the penalty is you have to give the difference to the players you already have, rather than signing better players that you can use in trades later on, or younger players to develop down the road.

The remaining players on the roster getting a Christmas bonus is not a big deal.

2017 playoffs - it's really laughable given Paul is also a better defensive player. Pay that man.

Paul George - 28ppg, 43% from 3, 8.8 boards, 7.3 assists, 1.8 steals
    Demar "I'm incredibly over-rated" Derozan - 22.4ppg, 6.7% from 3, 4.9 boards, 3.4 assists, 1.4 steals
    Jimmy "I'm good but not that good" Butler - 22.7ppg, 26% from 3, 7.3 boards, 4.3 assists, 1.7 steals
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Some of you guys are just too easily swayed. Most thought that the odds were against Paul making the all nba team and I'm sure our F.O. and Paul were prepared to work with that scenario. Paul has said that too much has been made of his wanting to play for the Lakers just because he grew up there. I doubt if Pritchard had changed his mind on how he's going to approach this off season with this news and he's said that he's going into it with the plan to keep Paul George.
    We haven't heard a peep from PG or Pritchard today but now everyone is convinced that we're losing Paul for nothing.
    If I were Pritchard I'd just make a statement saying that I've already told you my plans and that hasn't changed.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At this point why would the Lakers give up anyone for Paul George, including Russell, Randel, whoever. Even if they don't want those players, they are assets that could be used for other trades that don't involve a guy they're gonna sign next year anyway. Is the only option trading PG to some random team that thinks maybe they can contend with him for a year and get 15 cents on the dollar in the process?

Sports Logo

Is the only option trading PG to some random team that thinks maybe they can contend with him for a year and get 15 cents on the dollar in the process?
    for getting some real value? probably. KP needs to get on the phone with Atlanta and NO and Denver and all those other desperate for any kinda success teams and probably just bite the bullet.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At this point why would the Lakers give up anyone for Paul George, including Russell, Randel, whoever. Even if they don't want those players, they are assets that could be used for other trades that don't involve a guy they're gonna sign next year anyway. Is the only option trading PG to some random team that thinks maybe they can contend with him for a year and get 15 cents on the dollar in the process?
    Whoever has him at the end of the year can offer the best contract. Lakers want that option. Pacers keep him, he has said in the past he wants to be known as the greatest Pacer ever. They can offer more money and an extra year, he may take it, Lakers miss out. Boston trades for him, he wins, he loves it re-signs. That's why they trade for him

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    Whoever has him at the end of the year can offer the best contract. Lakers want that option. Pacers keep him, he has said in the past he wants to be known as the greatest Pacer ever. They can offer more money and an extra year, he may take it, Lakers miss out. Boston trades for him, he wins, he loves it re-signs. That's why they trade for him
    I don't think we will trade Paul unless he says that he won't sign with us but it's easy to get a bidding war going if we want to and that would end with either Boston or L.A. coughing up their picks.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't even get why the lakers would be that excited to sign paul to some mega contract. Great, now they can be 10th in the west and broke. Honestly ive heard a lot of laker fans who don't even want him.
    Lifelong pacers fan

34. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post: