Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Woj: Lottery impact on LA and PG

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think if you trade him to Boston he would resign. He wants to win. He said he'd resign in Indiana so why wouldn't he resign in Boston? LA is just saying this to scare other teams.
    If he was strongly in favor of that all he has to do is let his agent spread the word that this isn't true.

This isn't some major mystery. Either George denies it or he doesn't. Denying it costs him nothing.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The thing that just has never made sense to me is this rumor that he's made it clear in the locker room for a long time that he wants to play for LA.

How on earth does that compute? How are you going to inspire your teammates to go all in for the team when you yourself are making it well-known that you want no future for that team? How do you inspire any faith from management about your future here when you "make it clear" you want to go to LA?

It doesn't strike me as something PG would say, nor does it make any sort of strategical business sense on his part. That's why it's hard for me to buy. There's just nothing to gain by "outing" your feelings like that.

The other factor I always hear, even from PG's mouth, is that all he wants to do is win. LA has been a wreck for awhile now. Lots of young talent, but also not much experience. They *could* be good 2-3 years down the road, but contender-good? Hard to see it, as it currently stands. And by then, all those young guys will be getting out of their rookie contracts and that salary cap will be jammed if you include PG's salary.

There's just a lot of rumors that don't jive with each other. It's why it's hard for me to believe. Now, unless some bombshell is revealed with PG coming right out and saying it, I'll buy it. But right now, this just seems like a lot of hype and rumors and not much of what PG has said or done really backs it up.

The one factor I can understand is his desire to go back home and star in a huge market. But... we went through almost the same thing with Reggie back in the day, where there were rumors he was heading back to LA to star in that market, and in the end, he stayed right here.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 05-18-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK, taking what Woj is saying at face value, then the Pacers have no choice, but to keep him and try to build the best team around him in hopes they can re-sign him. Because if he is going to the Lakers anyway, his trade value is diminished, so don't trade him.

I know that is against the grain, but that is what I would do
    If we're operating under that assumption (that he's leaving for the Lakers no matter what), then I would trade him for anything I could get. Losing him for nothing is the absolute worst case scenario. I'd rather get 30 cents on the dollar than 0 cents on the dollar.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    The thing that just has never made sense to me is this rumor that he's made it clear in the locker room for a long time that he wants to play for LA.

How on earth does that compute? How are you going to inspire your teammates to go all in for the team when you yourself are making it well-known that you want no future for that team? How do you inspire any faith from management about your future here when you "make it clear" you want to go to LA?

It doesn't strike me as something PG would say, nor does it make any sort of strategical business sense on his part. That's why it's hard for me to buy. There's just nothing to gain by "outing" your feelings like that.

The other factor I always hear, even from PG's mouth, is that all he wants to do is win. LA has been a wreck for awhile now. Lots of young talent, but also not much experience. They *could* be good 2-3 years down the road, but contender-good? Hard to see it, as it currently stands. And by then, all those young guys will be getting out of their rookie contracts and that salary cap will be jammed if you include PG's salary.

There's just a lot of rumors that don't jive with each other. It's why it's hard for me to believe. Now, unless some bombshell is revealed with PG coming right out and saying it, I'll buy it. But right now, this just seems like a lot of hype and rumors and not much of what PG has said or done really backs it up.

The one factor I can understand is his desire to go back home and star in a huge market. But... we went through almost the same thing with Reggie back in the day, where there were rumors he was heading back to LA to star in that market, and in the end, he stayed right here.
    I think this whole thing about him telling his teammates in the locker room might be true, but not very informative or predictive. Do you at work ever talk about stuff, maybe moving to Florida or California, or wanting to live in a certain city. It is just talk, I think about a lot of things, I might say some stuff that maybe I dreamed about, but that doesn't mean I will do it.

I think his "telling his teammates" like it is some deep dark secret is bogus. People talk about stuff every day, how many people do 10% of the stuff they talk about.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Anyone remember that Lakers game from last season--Kobe's last game in the Fieldhouse? The crowd was rooting for the Lakers and cheering on Kobe's shots. Very embarrassing. I wonder if that ever crosses PG's mind.

Sports Logo

I think this whole thing about him telling his teammates in the locker room might be true, but not very informative or predictive. Do you at work ever talk about stuff, maybe moving to Florida or California, or wanting to live in a certain city. It is just talk, I think about a lot of things, I might say some stuff that maybe I dreamed about, but that doesn't mean I will do it.

I think his "telling his teammates" like it is some deep dark secret is bogus. People talk about stuff every day, how many people do 10% of the stuff they talk about.
    It's different when you're literally living the dream. I wanna move to California I gotta find a new job, new social circle, all that. PG obviously has the job covered and anything else he doesn't have there he can just bring with him.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    If we're operating under that assumption (that he's leaving for the Lakers no matter what), then I would trade him for anything I could get. Losing him for nothing is the absolute worst case scenario. I'd rather get 30 cents on the dollar than 0 cents on the dollar.
    Which is exactly what LA or Boston is hoping for. Pacers get desperate, trade him for a 2nd rounder and a couple of role players. We call that a "steal".

I think our chances of keeping Paul are good enough that I don't need to guarantee the 30 cents. Even just having him for a year and doing nothing stupid sets us up in pretty good shape to rebuild starting in 18-19 should Paul walk. Having that cap space is not nothing.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Anyone remember that Lakers game from last season--Kobe's last game in the Fieldhouse? The crowd was rooting for the Lakers and cheering on Kobe's shots. Very embarrassing. I wonder if that ever crosses PG's mind.
    PG was probably secretly rooting for Kobe himself.
    2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS & 2010 AFC CHAMPIONS

1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, & 1987 NCAA CHAMPIONS & 2002 NCAA FINALISTS
    1970, 1972, & 1973 ABA CHAMPIONS & 2000 NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

The only thing that crosses his mind is that being The Man on the Lakers is the best gig in sports. I don't think he's good enough to be that, but that's neither here nor there.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Which is exactly what LA or Boston is hoping for. Pacers get desperate, trade him for a 2nd rounder and a couple of role players. We call that a "steal".

I think our chances of keeping Paul are good enough that I don't need to guarantee the 30 cents. Even just having him for a year and doing nothing stupid sets us up in pretty good shape to rebuild starting in 18-19 should Paul walk. Having that cap space is not nothing.
    Then some other opportunistic team comes along and is willing to take a risk for a year rental of PG and offers something better.

Also important to note that I was operating under the premise that PG is leaving for LA no matter what next offseason.

Lakers going to offer Russell and (insert decent chip here) for PG. If they say no they'll just wait until 2018 and get him for free

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Lakers going to offer Russell and (insert decent chip here) for PG. If they say no they'll just wait until 2018 and get him for free
    No - LA isn't offering Russell, Ingram, Randle or even the pick. Again - Russell and Randle share agents with George. That agent is going to want all his clients happy and LA is going to want him happy.

I don't think the Pacers should get caught up in the Lakers 'head games'. Focus should be on getting PG another legitimate star to convince him to stay.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 2Cleva For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I don't think the Pacers should get caught up in the Lakers 'head games'. Focus should be on getting PG another legitimate star to convince him to stay.
    Exactly. And if we do get that star and PG still walks, we still have that star plus Myles Turner to continue to build around.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

5-21.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cleva View Post

What's even crazier is that this was statistically his best season.

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    Exactly. And if we do get that star and PG still walks, we still have that star plus Myles Turner to continue to build around.
    Maybe. I'm not sure how we are getting that star without trading Myles Turner though.

Maybe. I'm not sure how we are getting that star without trading Myles Turner though.
    I would imagine we're going to swing for the fences in FA and hope for the best.

Hayward didn't get the super-max, either.

Why should he be in a pacers uniform? How
    If we had moved PG for the pick to Boston, as they had reportedly offered us.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I would imagine we're going to swing for the fences in FA and hope for the best.

If that's our plan, we're in deep ****

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Because the PDers Who Know All know there's an offer on the table for PG from Boston for the #1 pick.
    It was widely reported that the Celtics had offered the pick for PG. I'm not claiming to be privy to secret information or to have inside sources.

"According to ESPN's Zach Lowe, the Celtics have put the 2017 Nets pick into the offer for George."

"Update on Boston, Indy: Boston hasn't met Indiana's asking price on Paul George, but Nets pick has entered conversation now, sources say." -Woj

Maybe I'm naive, but I believe reports from the likes of Woj and Lowe.
    Last edited by LongTimePacerFan; 05-18-2017 at 02:59 PM.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LongTimePacerFan For This Useful Post:

We either get a package the exceeds what Cleveland gave up for Love or we keep the best player and that's Paul. I've never wanted to move him anyway.
    I think you'll see us keep Paul, improve the team enough that we'll get a better seed and Paul will make an all nba team next year. It's the only logical move to make.
    Larry Bird qouted March 25th. 2015:

Bird: I wanted to keep our group together because in the summer, if David and Roy opt out, we're back to zero, really. We don't have that much, so you leave your options open. If we did make a trade, I didn't want to take on a lot of contracts -- because that's what usually happens. Plus, I liked my guys. They're playing well. If we keep the core together and Paul comes back healthy, we'll be right back to where we were.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Hayward is going to end up staying in Utah or going to Boston. Indy isn't as appealing. Utah can offer the most $$$ / better situation and the Celtics can offer the same $$$ as Indy while offering a better situation and Coach.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

vnzla has brought up this point a few times too: Why would any guys like Hayward choose to come to Indiana with PG being such a massive uncertainty?

In a lot of ways, and I don't think it's intentional, PG is holding the Pacers' organization hostage right now.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: