Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I agree with Bob Kravitz

Default I agree with Bob Kravitz

Well for the most part I do. Seems he finally has a good handle on the pacers team.

Another good article.
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04

Possibilities are endless, scary

Here's how I look at next season's Indiana Pacers.

They could win the NBA title.

Or they could fall completely to pieces, reveal themselves as the most combustible, immature team in the league and end up embarrassing themselves and their city.

Let me explain:

Even without Uncle Reggie gracing the roster, there's a ton of talent here, enough to make a serious run at a championship. So why does the prospect of an essentially unchanged roster scare me worse than a flop shot over a bunker?

Because without some strategic changes, the group that's returning has a chance to make an ugly mess of things.

First, there's the Ron Artest situation. By now, my feelings are well-known, and every time I publicly suggest he's a time bomb waiting to detonate, he makes me look prescient. The Pacers, though, seem to think he's a changed man, that they can count on him to be what he was before the suspension -- one of the top 10 players in the league.

To which I say: Good luck, fellas. Hope you're right.

Then there's Stephen Jackson, who generally played hard and nobly in the playoffs, although he lost his shooting touch in Game 6.

At times, there's a lot to like about Jackson -- his ruthlessness, his edge, the way he continued to exhort his teammates as they were being blown off the court in Games 4 and 5. He's not going to be Reggie Miller, but he has undeniable talent and will be able to return to the shooting guard spot next season after playing the small forward.

But then there are times when that manic edge takes him into dangerous territory. While we all like a guy who will support his teammates, Jackson has been too quick to join the fray fists first. How many times did he get yanked from the lineup, then return to the bench staring down coach Rick Carlisle? Too many.

He will be the first to admit it: His temper gets the best of him and he spends too much time verbally assaulting officials.

Self-realization is wonderful.

Just do something about it now.

And then there's Jamaal Tinsley, the player the Pacers should work hardest to trade.

Tinsley's got a few strikes against him.

First, there's his health, which is never good and has reduced him to a limping mess nearly every year in the playoffs. It's hard to say if it's conditioning or bad luck or both, but a team can't win consistently with its point guard soaking in the hot tub.

Second, his attitude. He loses his composure. He gets angry and decides to turn a team game into a battle of playground one-on-one. Or he engages in the time-honored NBA practice of sulking. A point guard has to be an extension of the coach, a leader. I see a player with some rare skills with Tinsley, but I don't see a leader.

Look at the NBA's remaining four. Steve Nash. Tony Parker. Chauncey Billups. Dwyane Wade. All of them can shoot. All of them can penetrate and make space for teammates. All of them are still healthy.

Somehow, some way, the Pacers need to upgrade there. And the only way that can happen is a trade.

Free agency? Forget it. The Pacers are already over the salary cap, in part because of some dubious signings by team chief executive Donnie Walsh. Believe it or not, Jonathan Bender and Austin Croshere are the second- and third-highest paid players on the roster.

Finally, there's Jermaine O'Neal, whom Miller keeps saying is the new face of the franchise.

Well, if he's going to lead, he's got to return to the form that earned him third place in the MVP voting last season. How badly was he hurt this season? And how much did Artest's absence force him to change his game? It's really impossible to say. But O'Neal must return next season as a better leader and, yes, as a better player, preferably one with more low-post moves at his disposal.

(Check out an old Kevin McHale video and take notes.)

Beyond the Big Four, the roster figures to remain essentially unchanged.

Bender, who they pray will be healthy someday, has two years left on his deal and no trade value.

Croshere, another guy with two years remaining, is virtually untradable.

Anthony Johnson is a keeper, a perfect backup point guard.

Fred Jones' option will be picked up, and there's reason to wonder if he might have the goods to eventually replace Miller instead of Jackson.

James Jones and Dale Davis, the team's only two free agents, should return.

Jeff Foster, who showed what a factor he could be when he stays healthy, is going nowhere.

The only player left with trade value is Scot Pollard, who's in the last year of his deal. At some point, he will want out -- who wants to play behind Foster and Davis? -- and somebody will want to grab him so that team can wipe his salary off the books for the following season. But you're not going to get an impact player for Pollard.

So there's not a lot the Pacers can do, but there's enough they can do, and must do, if they're going to ensure there won't be a repeat of this season. They don't need an extreme makeover. But a nip here, a tuck there, nobody would argue.

Bob Kravitz is a columnist for The Indianapolis Star. Call him at (317) 444-6643 or e-mail bob.kravitz@indystar.com.

Default Re: I agree with Bob Kravitz

Dwayne is not a point guard.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

All he has done now is pick a new whipping boy !!!

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

I agree with most of what he said.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No offense, but thats a pretty ignorant comment considering UB may be the 2nd biggest Artest fan on this board (first being a tie between myself and Jay@sectionXXX )
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    No offense, but thats a pretty ignorant comment considering UB may be the 2nd biggest Artest fan on this board (first being a tie between myself and Jay@sectionXXX )
    Hey VA - nice logo
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At least Kravitz article didn't have me seeing red this time. I totally disagree with Kravitz in his assertion on Jamaal Tinsley. I think Jamaal will mature, just like Gary Payton did a few years into the league. Jamaal is our future!

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome
    At least Kravitz article didn't have me seeing red this time. I totally disagree with Kravitz in his assertion on Jamaal Tinsley. I think Jamaal will mature, just like Gary Payton did a few years into the league. Jamaal is our future!
    I have no doubt that he will mature. But maturing as a player doesn't mean that he still won't be injury prone.

Like Kravitz said, we can't win a championship with a point guard who is always injured.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Huxtable
    I have no doubt that he will mature. But maturing as a player doesn't mean that he still won't be injury prone.

Like Kravitz said, we can't win a championship with a point guard who is always injured.
    True enough, but I think he will beat the injury bug. As mentioned before...if some have been willing to wait for Donnie's Follie to be worth something other then a pratice legend...I can wait for Tinsley, I feel that he will be that good.

Anyway, didn't Kravitz have it in for J.T. before he put his saddle onto Ron Artest?

True enough, but I think he will beat the injury bug. As mentioned before...if some have been willing to wait for Donnie's Follie to be worth something other then a pratice legend...I can wait for Tinsley, I feel that he will be that good.

Anyway, didn't Kravitz have it in for J.T. before he put his saddle onto Ron Artest?
    There's a difference between waiting for a player to 'bloom' and waiting for a player who has already proven he can play to stay healthy.

Myself, unless if we get a great PG in the draft or trade for one, I give Tinsley one more year and if he can't stay healthy the full season I say get rid of him.

Harmonica

The question is, did you really learn anything new by reading that pap?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    The question is, did you really learn anything new by reading that pap?
    We might not have, but we're the hardcore fans that live and breathe this stuff. The casual fans might have learned something.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    We might not have, but we're the hardcore fans that live and breathe this stuff. The casual fans might have learned something.
    I only hope the casual fan doesn't get their info from Him...........

They wouldn't be a fan of the Pacers for long.

No kidding.

I'm with UB in agreeing with what he wrote. If you don't, please let us know which part you disagree with and why. I have the same concerns about each player and think this coming season is a make or break one for most of them.

As for Tins, I am curious that he can be healthy for us when we really need it. He seems to be a November - January all-star thus far. How about this pattern for games played each of his first 4 seasons:

Not a good trend.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    I'm with UB in agreeing with what he wrote. If you don't, please let us know which part you disagree with and why.
    I thought the objective to being a good writer is to shed light on topics that may not be known to the reader, to inform them.

The first time I opened this thread, I read the first line and closed the window. I didn't want to read it, because I thought I knew where it was going, and how it would end. A few mins later I reopened it because I felt closeminded. I read the whole thing, and got mad at myself, because I was right the first time.

Why do I need to read the same article once a week, in different format? He doesn't have a new point in any article. He picks old thoughts out of old articles and combines a few into a new article. Quite frankly, I think he's ripping off his employers because it seems like he's only working about 4 or 5 days a month.

This article represents all his arguements on his least favorite players. He writes off next season in less than one week after the old season ended. "Possibilities are endless, scary. Here's how I look at next season's Indiana Pacers. They could win the NBA title. Or they could fall completely to pieces, reveal themselves as the most combustible, immature team in the league and end up embarrassing themselves and their city." That's his first few sentences, but the rest of the article is why they will combust. WOW, what optimism. Then his arrogant attitude sticks out like a sore thumb, to me atleast. "By now, my feelings are well-known, and every time I publicly suggest he's a time bomb waiting to detonate, he makes me look prescient." We should all believe him, because he foresaw Ron's actions.

When I start reading original articles by Mr. Kravitz, then I'll give him credit. Until then, I think an 8th grader with less contacts, other than a brain, would be able to write a better article. Bob, you have the numbers of high ranking people within the Pacers org. USE THEM!

Well, I don't read him all the time, I just based my opinion on this article. So, had he spent all the article saying why the Pacers will win it all next season it would have gotten a gold star? The guy from ESPN already wrote that article.

Well, I don't read him all the time, I just based my opinion on this article. So, had he spent all the article saying why the Pacers will win it all next season it would have gotten a gold star? The guy from ESPN already wrote that article.
    LOL I'm not calling for a buttkissing episode, but a BALANCED article. To start it off by saying that they could win, only to have the whole article on why they won't is very insulting IMHO.

It's the same tune with different players when it comes to the colts. They have all the talent, but won't win because Manning can't win the big games and the D personel is awful.

I'm just tired of reading the same idea over and over. Like I said, I'll give him credit when he comes up with an original idea. Anyone that watches the Pacers play could write his articles. They're uninformative, and reoccurring.

Hell, I feel stupid for keep saying the he says the same things over and over. I wonder how I'd feel if I did every week, instead of one night.

Ditto.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I also think PG play will improve. I thought Tins had a good year and he just signed a new contract, so it's hard to see us moving him.

What's Carlisle's "upgrade at point guard" talk mean then? Who would you look at as a fit for this team and an upgrade over Jamaal? Or is he just talking about AJ?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I think he means someone who can shoot, someone who defends better, and probably someone who doesn't physically break down.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    What's Carlisle's "upgrade at point guard" talk mean then? Who would you look at as a fit for this team and an upgrade over Jamaal? Or is he just talking about AJ?
    I think he is talking about Eddie Gill. Gill is a capable 3rd PG, but he isn't even close to being a 2nd PG. With Tins' injury concerns I think we should really have 2 backup PGs.

Sports Logo

IMO what we need is to try and draft the best PG we can. Not a 2 in a pg body we have two of those. I want another real pg. You know like Jamaal but hopefully not as injury prone. That way if Jamaal goes down we still have at least one PG on the team. If not we become the most dangerous team in the league. At all times we would be able to put a player on the court who can create for others and that would be awesome.

Not a good trend.
    Don't forget that season 3 began with a lengthy benching. He probably missed at least 20 games as DNP-CD. I don't think he missed that many because of injury.

ETA: I think his injuries appear to be worse/more frequent, because they have hindered him in the playoffs.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

I think Kravitz is dead on. Does anyone else feel that this team needs a good conditioning coach? This team is very injury prone.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin