Thread: ShootingGuard... JJ or Jax?

3ptmiller

Default ShootingGuard... JJ or Jax?

Who would you rather have as a starting Shooting Guard and why? JJ or JAX?

I would pick James Jones! Why? Now that Reggie is gone we would need a healthy young player that has high PPA (Points Per Attempt), who is a very Consistant shooter, 3PT shooter, FT shooter.. Clutch player... I see all that in James Jones and i believe in him, but i promise you as long as JAX is here JJ would never get his chance even tho he is better than JAX...

Why not JAX? Because If JAX starts then we would really really say good bye to overall Perimeter shooting... Our starting lineup will be Powered with Defensive players and low post at offense with JAX... aint that to much? Sure JAX can get lucky sometimes and start hitting 3PT shots, even if he does.. faster guards will be able to Swat the ball away because JAX has by far in NBA History the slowest Stroke/Jumpshot ive ever seen...

Default Re: ShootingGuard... JJ or Jax?

No question about it Jack, better defender,better at getting his own shot,better at driving the basket. JJ right now is not close to Jack, he may be in the future but Jack isnt exactly 35 years old so Jack will improve too. Jack will be the starter next year, and if it wasnt Jack it would be Fred, JJ is not a SG.

3ptmiller

Im talking about the lack of Perimeter Shooting... which is about one of the most important things u need in a team to be succesfull..

JJ can come of the bench and shoot,he isnt ready to start, and Jack is a good shooter I dont know what you are talking about. If you look at the % he shot better from the 3 then your boy Reggie did this year.

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JJ can come of the bench and shoot,he isnt ready to start, and Jack is a good shooter I dont know what you are talking about. If you look at the % he shot better from the 3 then your boy Reggie did this year.
    "my boy" Reggie? K.. My boy Reggie was almost 40 years old, lets see how "your boy" JAX manages to shoot when he is 40 years old? Dont underestimate greatness my friend.. when Reggie was younger he had like over 40% every season and had like 200 3pters Made at the same time... 20-25 ppg... decent defense and Clutch shots EVERY game and at one of the highest Points Per Attempts from Shooting Guard position in NBA History.

If Reggie had Jermaine or Ron Artest in the 90s you would see many many Rings my friend... Perimeter shooting accuracy + Defense + Low post = CHAMPIONSHIP.

Thats what the Pacers need for a 110% Guarantee Championship next year, a young Reggie skilled player... Its James Jones im talking about...

So, you really think that "your boy" JAX is better than JJ? Have u EVER seen JJ play 40 minutes? OK, first of all look at James Jones statistics & find the game by game stats... find a game where he played 37+ minutes... and be surprised how much Points he scored and how well he shot... You will find only Two games where he played over 40 mins, on one he scored 27 points and on the other 22 pts... Think if he was a starter, what he will manage to do?

Mark my words, he is a future All-Star and if he doesnt get to start for the Pacers soon.. i hope he switch teams, or else it would be a waste of talent.

Yes I have seen JJ play 40 minutes. Have you seen him play when his man pays attention to him and he cant get his shot off cause he cant drive to the basket. Or when he gets lost on defense. Dont get me wrong I love JJ and I hope he gets at least 15-20 minutes backing up Ron next year but he is not ready to start, and he is not a SG he is a SF.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seems I remember a spell after the brawl where JJ started every game after initally scoring well , once teams knew his game he scored very little as a starter.

His 1st 6 games as a starter he averaged 14.0ppg , but after teams knew his game over the next 10 games he averaged 4.4 ppg and was replaced as a starter by Michael Curry. So overall during that 16 game trial as a starter he averaged 8.0 ppg sorry thats not what we need from our shooting guard.

On the season SJax actually had a higher fg% and ft % than JJ.

SJax is a proven scorer and a better defender than JJ , but JJ can add a spark off the bench and that should be his role here. Its not as if SJax at 27 ,and playing with Artest next season won't give us solid scoring and defense at the sf and sg spots. The 25 year old JJ is not exactly a kid agewise in comparison to SJax, both can improve.

Seems to me thought of how good they might be is what got Croshere and Bender their way over paid contracts. Let JJ develop and I'm sorry the JJ is a potential All Star comment is too comical. Jus a little note JJ is in fact older than Bender.

At least we know 3PtMiller will still have a player to follow on the Pacers next year... unless the Pacers can't resign James Jones

Count me in the camp that doesn't think JJ is ready for starting SG tho. He's a smart player with potential (unlike a player whose name rhymes with fender) and seemed to stay healthy and work on defense and rebounding. Those things will pay dividends.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    . So overall during that 16 game trial as a starter he averaged 8.0 ppg sorry thats not what we need from our shooting guard.
    8 ppg?

We could get that from "Reggie the Deferrer"

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

JJ's a better 3 than 2.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Remember too the 16 game trial as a starter was without JO, SJax and Artest , so its not as if JJ was not going to get shots.

I like JJ but in the NBA there are starters and reserves. JJ is a reserve and and can make a very good living for a long time in that role. But JJ is also a sf not a shooting guard , while SJax is not the worlds best ball handler he can go to the basket off the dribble. JJ is lucky to make 3 dribbles before pulling up at 15-17 feet. I'D like to see Stephen go to the hole more the more he does the more NBA officials know its game the more he will start to draw foul calls and get free throws.

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    At least we know 3PtMiller will still have a player to follow on the Pacers next year... unless the Pacers can't resign James Jones

Count me in the camp that doesn't think JJ is ready for starting SG tho. He's a smart player with potential (unlike a player whose name rhymes with fender) and seemed to stay healthy and work on defense and rebounding. Those things will pay dividends.

-Bball
    Hehe, im gona stick with Ron Artest now... The defense, the agression, the power.. Like somebody said in here before "Players like that makes me giggle like an 8 year old girl"

I love JJ, but I pick Jax, he does have a really nice stroke, even though he is more of a set shooter, he is agressive, and he's a fighter (not a Piston's fan's fighter), he is a warrior, a little hot tempered, but he'll calm down as he gets older.

JJ just needs a little more time, the reason he looks so much better than Jax is if you compare their minutes, JJ goes in has some awesome shots, leaves.

Stephen is in longer and everyone can see every shot he misses.

For now, definitely Jax. JJ is gonna be great, but he needs a little time yet.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

I think we have plenty of depth next year at the 2 spot. Jax will start and deservedly so. Fred Jones and JJ will split time as back-ups depending on match-ups and what not. Ron will start at 1 forward spot and JO's got the lock on the SF or PF or whatever you want to label it as. A VERY NICE rotatation at the two.

To answer the original question........no, JJ is not ready to start. Jax can do so much more on the floor than him, but JJ will have a bright future if he works hard on his floor game. I would like to see him able to penatrate off the dribble......but that will take time if it ever does evolve. Look at Reggie, he never became a strong dribbler or type of player that drives to the bucket. Did that make him less effective? Maybe.......maybe not.......but there is no question he knew his own game and worked those points to perfection. I hope JJ has that kind of work ethic, but time will tell.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

pb777

Damn, I just typed a long reply to this topic and it got erased somehow

I'll try and re-type it later

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    I think we have plenty of depth next year at the 2 spot. Jax will start and deservedly so. Fred Jones and JJ will split time as back-ups depending on match-ups and what not. Ron will start at 1 forward spot and JO's got the lock on the SF or PF or whatever you want to label it as. A VERY NICE rotatation at the two.

To answer the original question........no, JJ is not ready to start. Jax can do so much more on the floor than him, but JJ will have a bright future if he works hard on his floor game. I would like to see him able to penatrate off the dribble......but that will take time if it ever does evolve. Look at Reggie, he never became a strong dribbler or type of player that drives to the bucket. Did that make him less effective? Maybe.......maybe not.......but there is no question he knew his own game and worked those points to perfection. I hope JJ has that kind of work ethic, but time will tell.
    Yea i agree, i dont know his work ethic but he definitly has the Talent.. I just love how he comes of the bench and starts hiting Huge Shots with no fear, i dont think he is one dimensional tho... he needs more minutes to proof us wrong and he definitly needs to develope... like u said, time will tell!

JJ is one demensional, all he can do is hit the jumpshot. He cant drive,he cant pass good, he cant dribble, he is way too raw to start next year. At times he looked like a great player, when the brawl first happend players didnt know nothing about him they didnt know he could hit the 3 so they left him open, as soon as they figured him out JJ started scoring like 6-7 points per game. He needs time to develope his game so he can start. Right now Jack is 2 times the player he is.

I like Jones as a SF off the bench behind Artest.

Jackson & Freddie at the 2

Quote Originally Posted by pb777
    Damn, I just typed a long reply to this topic and it got erased somehow

I'll try and re-type it later
    I hate when that happens. Glad to see I'm not the only one with the errant fingers.

I could be all wrong on this AGAIN, but I don't remember JJ playing much "2". He was a small forward, for sure, and got surprising minutes late in the season at power forward.

I wonder if he can guard the quicker "2's"? Jax can as well as anyone we've ever had.

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    I like Jones as a SF off the bench behind Artest.

Jackson & Freddie at the 2
    That seems to be not bad!

JJ isn't a SG, his best position is SF. He doesn't have the lateral quickness that Jax has.

Jax/Freddy at SG and Ron/JJ at SF sounds good to me. Gives us good offensive and defensive flexability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    JJ is one demensional, all he can do is hit the jumpshot. He cant drive,he cant pass good, he cant dribble, he is way too raw to start next year. At times he looked like a great player, when the brawl first happend players didnt know nothing about him they didnt know he could hit the 3 so they left him open, as soon as they figured him out JJ started scoring like 6-7 points per game. He needs time to develope his game so he can start. Right now Jack is 2 times the player he is.

Substitute Reggie Miller's name in place of JJ's and you would have what critics of Reggie said in 1987. Funny how the cream rises to the top.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

JJ reminds me of Reggie Miller in alot of ways. But the one thing holding him back, well two things holding him back, from being Reggie Miller-esque, is that one, he lacks the foot speed, which Reggie had that speed and ability to move off screens, which JJ won't ever have, and Reggie was fearless. JJ looks scared to me whenever he has the ball. I don't think he has the fearless drive that Reggie had. When Reggie took shots, he had the attitude that the shot was going to go in. JJ plays as if he just doesn't wanna get yelled at by the other players and the coach, so he passes the ball up.

I for one, think JJ is very, very, overrated. I think that the Pacers would be better suited looking elsewhere for a backup SF/SG. JJ has had his moments, but I don't think much of his defense at all, and I can't say much good about his offense. He has a jump shot and that's it. If Indiana can find a good trade for a veteran SF/SG, say goodbye to JJ.

And I won't start on Freddie. Freddie suffers from the same mental error, only with alot more athleticism and talent. Atleast Freddie is a decent defender, and in stretches, can score from several places on the court.