Thread: Indystar: Pacers to pay Reggie's salary next year

Default Indystar: Pacers to pay Reggie's salary next year

Didn't see this posted yet...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/505210494

1 more year? Pacers keep door open
    Walsh will pay Reggie next season even if he doesn't play

Reggie Miller has said his retirement is "100 percent" final, but the Pacers CEO said he's "not con

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh holds out hope Reggie Miller will play again -- and he'll pay Miller $6.1 million for the final season of his contract even if he doesn't.

"I'm not convinced he's not going to play again," Walsh said Friday. "I'm going to check back with him. I'm waiting for him to miss it. I'll give him two weeks or a month and see how he feels."

Miller will receive the salary called for in the three-year contract he signed two summers ago. The $6.1 million will count in the calculation of the Pacers' payroll but shouldn't affect their ability to sign a free agent because they will be over the salary cap anyway.

Walsh said Miller won't be included on the team's 15-man roster unless he returns to play.

Miller, who scored 27 points Thursday as the Pacers were eliminated from the playoffs by Detroit at Conseco Fieldhouse, said after the game that his retirement is "absolutely, positively, 100 percent" final.

He attended a brief team meeting Friday morning and then met with privately with Walsh. Walsh said Miller gave no indication that he might rethink his retirement.

Walsh said the team would have "a big-time celebration" to retire Miller's No. 31 jersey next season if he does not return. The Pacers had a retirement ceremony for Miller on April 20 after their final regular-season basketball game against Chicago. Owners Herb and Mel Simon presented a Bentley automobile to Miller.

Miller said after Thursday's final playoff game against Detroit that he plans to rest for about a month and then begin working out again -- but not in preparation for another season.

"You can't just stop," he said. "I'm still going to run the canyons and the beaches (near his home in Malibu, Calif.,), but I'll do it for myself. I won't have training camp to lure me."

Miller, who turns 40 in August, said earlier he wouldn't be drawn back by the hope of winning a championship, even if the Pacers made roster moves that could improve that possibility.

"I had 18 years to try," he said. "I didn't do it. It's their turn. If they can do it, God bless them."

Miller already has begun work on a new career, forming a film company, Boom Baby Productions. He has a project in the works called "Beautiful Ohio," starring Laura Dern. Oscar-winning actor Hillary Swank and her husband, Chad Lowe, are co-producing the film, and Lowe will direct.

Miller said he hoped to become involved in various aspects of film production, including casting and editing, but has no desire to act.

He also hopes to work as a broadcaster. He said he was not aware of rumors that he will serve as Dan Patrick's co-host on ESPN's national radio show. His ideal position in television, he said, would be as a studio host, similar to TNT's Charles Barkley.

"He doesn't talk about stats, he just rips on the players, which I'd love to do, too," Miller said with a smile. "I could talk trash about all of them, and the commissioner (David Stern), too, all at once."

Otherwise, Miller is looking forward to a more private life. He said he would keep his home in Geist and his corner suite in Conseco Fieldhouse but doesn't plan to be a frequent presence.

"I'm sure he'll show up unexpectedly from time to time," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "But then again, knowing him, he's going to keep his distance and be respectful of the fact it's a new situation without him and the fact he's really not a member of the team."

Unless, of course . . .

Call Star reporter Mark Montieth at (317) 444-6406.

This space for rent

Default Re: Indystar: Pacers to pay Reggie's salary next year

And it's going to count against the salary cap. Surprised many of you aren't all over this screaming

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And it's going to count against the salary cap. Surprised many of you aren't all over this screaming
    this is almost always the case...probably one of the reasons reggie agreed to play for the reduced dollars he did as it wasnt likely hed play all three seasons....gets paid for 3 and plays 2....

not sure why some would be all over it...but then again...im new here...

but they shouldnt be because its common practice...just the way its done...we are way over cap anyway...so it makes no difference

I dont get it, Reg said he doesnt want to play anymore and he is 100% sure he is not coming back, why not just let the 6 million go off the cap?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Reggies 6 million wouldn't put them back under the cap so what's the difference? It doesn't matter if you are $1 over or $30 million over, you're still over.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    I dont get it, Reg said he doesnt want to play anymore and he is 100% sure he is not coming back, why not just let the 6 million go off the cap?
    it works like this....back when reg signed the deal...the pacers had cap issues regarding the luxury tax....so what teams often do is sign the player to a year or 2 more than he will play so they can spread his salary over more years, thereby keeping his yearly salary down....in this case they pay reggie about 16-17 million for 3 years...but he only plays 2 of them....considering reg was making about 12 mill/year before this latest contract...he goes from making 12 to about 8....but it only counts around 6 per year for 3 years as far as the cap is concerned...this is always done, almost without exception in the nba-retired players collecting their remaining salary from their contract...

Sports Logo

Its Reggie I would not object to them paying for two or three more years.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I have no problem with this either AND I would LOVE Reggie to be at one table with Charles Barkley trash talking
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    I have no problem with this either AND I would LOVE Reggie to be at one table with Charles Barkley trash talking
    I'd love it to right up until Reggie says something that Charles has no comeback for. What will Chuck say? "Your ears are too damn big."

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    I'd love it to right up until Reggie says something that Charles has no comeback for. What will Chuck say? "Your ears are too damn big."
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

PacersFan

I'd love to hear what else Reggie has to say about David Stern....... and this time he can actually say anything and everything he wants.

Let's hold off before we start thinking that MAYBE he will come back towards the end of the season. We all hoped Rik Smits would do the same thing - we're still waiting.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

woman without a team

I know Reggie won't come back just like I knew Rik wouldn't come back. Besides, what kind of negotiation tool is "Even if you don't come back we'll still pay you"?

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If paying a retired player for remaining seasons on his contract a standard practice, fine...But, if there is ANY way shape or form that this hurts us; It is time to let go! Reggie said he was 100% Certain...Why can't we 100% accept this? Durring the game Friday, I had the tears flowing because I know that Reggie was not comming back...it is time for the Simons all the way down to the last person to jump on the bandwagon to reallize Miller Time is now part of our city's great sports history.

woman without a team

First of all, I'm not even sure Reggie would accept the money since he's not playing. Secondly, I know he wouldn't if it was going to make a differance to the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    First of all, I'm not even sure Reggie would accept the money since he's not playing. Secondly, I know he wouldn't if it was going to make a differance to the cap.
    Uhhhh... He could've been playing for the vet minimum if he wanted to make that kind of gesture.

If the Pacers pay it, he will take it. Salary cap or luxury tax be dam-ed.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I'll take it, heck I'd take half of it. and spend some of it on season tickets for my crew. That would be a good investment for the pacers

This is ludicrous. But then, maybe Donnie knows there's gonna be a lockout and he won't have to pay. Good PR, then.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

...and yet they told us they could not afford to keep Brad Miller?

I guess I just don't get it. Could they not just pay him as an "advisor" and not have it count as a player salary?

I know some will say that Reggie deserves it, but he has already been paid very well for his services.

Ah well, I suppose it is their team and their money, so....

They said in the artile that there would not be a roster spot held for him.

So I read that to mean they could be paying 16 players next season. No way that fits into the 15 man roster limit.

There is no way the league would let Walsh do that unless its written that retiring players get paid the remainder of their contract.

If its an injury then the insurance picks up most of it, not the case here.

I said this months ago & it was mentioned above as well. I think this was all pre-arranged. Reggie plays for two years & we'll pay ya for three. That way you'll get your 9M a year that you wanted but it'll save us 3M a year off our cap for a couple years.

Besides you know how nuts this place would have been if Reg had signed at 9M for 2 years instead of the 6M for 3?

I was pretty pissed at 6m per for 3. I would have gone ape**** over 9 million per for 2. I don't mind him getting that money for the 3rd year, as long as there's nobody else we could add with that money. For instance, if the Simons don't mind paying the extra 6 million for one year to lure Reggie out of retirement, but indeed want that money off the books soon (read: unwilling to sign a FA for 6 million per for several years), then I accept that. If it's going to be something where we miss out on a solid bench guy, I'll be very upset.

Exactly what does continuing to pay him next season have to do with his ability to come back? This is some kind of spin IMHO. It might be 'spin' to lure him back, or it could be to bait ticket buyers into thinking he would be back at some point. Or it is just setting us up as one of the annual excuses why we are standing pat or only looking at vet min players.

I don't have the foggiest idea if an NBA contract is or could be written so that a retiring player would be paid for the remaining year(s) but I see no reason that the excuse of paying him his salary in hopes of a return would be necessary in and of itself.

It's a nice gesture (it's a very nice gesture) but it could border on stupidity if it counts against the cap. It even sounds like it could be something that is going against NBA rules (a backdoor type agreement so that Reggie got 9 mil per season but only counted 6 per on the cap and lux tax).

It's fishy...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden