Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something overlooked about Reggie

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Default Something overlooked about Reggie

I CHANGED MY MIND.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Something overlooked about Reggie

That's pure crap, I've seen Reggie sign thousands of autographs over the years. I've met Reggie several times and he is always very nice and approachable. He is unbelievably nice to little kids.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

If you signed every autograph request or high fived every fan there would be no time to play basketball. Reggie's done a lot for and in the community. Reggie has been consistent and that's all you can ask.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you signed every autograph request or high fived every fan there would be no time to play basketball. Reggie's done a lot for and in the community. Reggie has been consistent and that's all you can ask.
    I'm sorry I just have never seen him do it. I still love Reggie, he was a great basketball player and made the Pacers so fun to watch. I just don't think we need to be making him out to be a God or something. I still think he is one of the greatest players of all time....Look at my name

Quote Originally Posted by 31 Forever
    Over the past few months, this city and all Pacer fans have had a hard on for Reggie saying how great he was to this city. I know he did a lot like Reggie Bowl and all that but it seems like when he is out in public he isn't very nice to fans. After the games he never pulls over and signs autographs. I hear he'll only do it for charity. On TV, you never see him give high fives to the fans (he finally did yesterday). I like Reggie Miller a lot but I just think people are over-rating him when it comes to how great he was to fans. I think he is a little more full of himself than other Pacers who are even better than him. He was not that great to fans like a lot of players are today - Jermaine, JJ, Jack, Gill, and Fred.
    I could not disagree more.

Several years ago, gees, its been 10 years already.

I worked at a CD store up in Castleton, Coconuts, long since bellyup.

Reggie was a regular for a couple seasons while I was there. He's come in about once a month, sometimes with his future ex. He always ask if we had anything new that I thought he might enjoy. He was always very pleasant & never acted like he was doing me a favor by talking to me.

I never bugged him too much about basketball other than to wish him luck in a game or whatever.

Grey

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/...D04-130270.htm

Here's a final snapshot by which to remember Miller: As Miller was standing in front of the Pacers bench, a fan yelled, sincerely, "Reggie, thanks for all the memories, man."

Miller smirked and didn't acknowledge the fan.

Adios, Reg.

At least it wasn't "I told you you mother*****ers".
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

pb777

Damn, just **** on his parade with this

I agree totally with Hoop, ABA, and Jose

I've always thought Reggie was a little weary signing autographs for older people, most of the autographs/pictures are for little kids. He probably thinks most people are trying to make a quick buck off of him, which is understandable.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

ImCrazyB

He has every right not to sign any autographs..How would you feel if your own fans burned your house down? It may have been a long time ago and done by a few morons...But he still has no incentive besides his own graciousness to sign anyones autographs.

ThirtyOneAndOnlyFX

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    reliable source, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    Here's a final snapshot by which to remember Miller: As Miller was standing in front of the Pacers bench, a fan yelled, sincerely, "Reggie, thanks for all the memories, man."

Miller smirked and didn't acknowledge the fan.

Adios, Reg.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/...D04-130270.htm
    So I'm supposed to be upset that Reggie didn't acknowledge a Pistons fan in the Palace on the night of the bomb scare game..........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

BustedPants

Reggie is made out to be a God, but so has every franchise player of any NBA team. As Carlisle loves to say, "it is as simple as that."

All I have to say to "31 Forever" is: what is your sample size? How many times have you actually seen Reggie in public? If he doesn't "seem very nice" to fans when out in the public the one time you saw him, then that doesn't mean too much. Even if you saw him a few more times, it would mean nothing. Unless you have spent a legitimate amount of time around him, then you do not have a true stance. For every non-autograph-signing story you have, I'm sure some sick kid in the hospital can tell you about the time Reggie visited him.

I realize Reggie is a public figure and has higher expectations when out in public, but I have never spent a significant amount of time around anyone in the world, celebrity or not, without seeing his or her bad side at one point.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I've been proven wrong. I have only seen him a few times in real life. From what I see on TV a lot and heard from other fans he isn't the most friendly player. I know he does go see a lot of sick kids though. I was wrong!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Since Reggie is now retired, I'll fess up.

I know the man... casually. We live in the same area and have a few acquaintances in common. When I run into him, we exchange hellos, I wish him luck and we head our separate ways.

I've never seen Reggie be rude to anyone, especially kids. But Reggie often does have a tight schedule to keep, and there are times that he has an associate along to help him keep tract of the time and his additional obligations. During those times, it is unfortunate, but at some point he must cut things short and leave.

In fact, more often than not, whenever kids are involved, Reggie is very gracious with his time and his attentiveness. And those attitudes and actions are well known, particularly in his work at Riley's Burn Center, in children's wards at local hospitals and at local elementary schools.

As for the smirk, is it not possible that someone has misjudged his facial expression? I find it hard to believe that Reggie would react to a compassionate and appreciative remark with a smirk. Unless the comment was delivered with sarcasm.

With Reggie, it's garbage in - garbage out. You disrespect him, and he might very well have a sharp comeback for you. You treat him with respect and I assure you he will treat you the same.

That's not to say that Reggie does not PREFER that fans maintain a certain distance. It is a rare athlete now days that doesn't prefer distance and privacy. It's just that I've never heard of Reggie being rude, even when his space was invaded, as long as it is done in a polite manner.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    Since Reggie is now retired, I'll fess up.

I know the man... casually. We live in the same area and have a few acquaintances in common. When I run into him, we exchange hellos, I wish him luck and we head our separate ways.

I've never seen Reggie be rude to anyone, especially kids. But Reggie often does have a tight schedule to keep, and there are times that he has an associate along to help him keep tract of the time and his additional obligations. During those times, it is unfortunate, but at some point he must cut things short and leave.

In fact, more often than not, whenever kids are involved, Reggie is very gracious with his time and his attentiveness. And those attitudes and actions are well known, particularly in his work at Riley's Burn Center, in children's wards at local hospitals and at local elementary schools.

As for the smirk, is it not possible that someone has misjudged his facial expression? I find it hard to believe that Reggie would react to a compassionate and appreciative remark with a smirk. Unless the comment was delivered with sarcasm.

With Reggie, it's garbage in - garbage out. You disrespect him, and he might very well have a sharp comeback for you. You treat him with respect and I assure you he will treat you the same.

That's not to say that Reggie does not PREFER that fans maintain a certain distance. It is a rare athlete now days that doesn't prefer distance and privacy. It's just that I've never heard of Reggie being rude, even when his space was invaded, as long as it is done in a polite manner.
    Just as a little counter, I'll repeat a couple of stories I shared a while back.

My sister-in-law was a red coat back in MSA. Ya, know, an usher. She'd never followed basketball her entire like, but something about Reggie caught her fancy and she started following the Pacers. Becuase of that, she started working at MSA.

So, anyways, I'm at Sakura on Keystone for a late lunch with my wife, Sis-in-law and mother-in-law. There was no one else in the restaurant other than a guy at the sushi bar. We're halfway through eating when Reggie comes in along with some girl, along with Tank Thmopson with some REALLY hot girl. They sit down and order. My sis figures since no one's around, she'd ask Reggie for an autograph since she started following the team because of him.

So she goes up to his table, apologizes for bothering them, but tells him she's an usher at MSA and started there because of watching him and it would mean a lot to her if he could sign an autograph for her. She apologized several times for bothering them. Reggie wating till she finished and simply said, "I don't sign autographs", then looked at her like, We're done here."

She was a bit bothered by that.

So, a year or so later I'm at the old Sports bar downtown on Meridian. I'm in a corner up front. Since I worked security there at the time, I managed to hog the small elevated section and we kinda used it as our own little VIP. Reggie comes in and stands up in my section. my sis was with me again and after much debating, she asked me if I'd ask him for an autograph. As descretely as I could, I leaned over to him, told him about about her and what she did, told him I worked security at MSA (a small fib. Some of my friends did.) and that if he could descretely sign an autograph for my sis, it would really thrill her. His response? "I don't sign autographs" We had no further conversation, despite him standing right next to me.

Ah well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, Scott.

I guess all I can say is I'm surprised. But, I would add that I'd really be totally shocked if this would have happened to a child.

I've never heard Reggie say that he doesn't sign autographs. But then again, I've never asked for one.

Maybe he just doesn't want to sign autographs? Did you ever ask him for a picture? I'd think he would do that.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

PCC87

Quote Originally Posted by 31 Forever
    I'm sorry I just have never seen him do it. I still love Reggie, he was a great basketball player and made the Pacers so fun to watch. I just don't think we need to be making him out to be a God or something. I still think he is one of the greatest players of all time....Look at my name

WOW you call yourself a Pacers fan? To Pacers fans Reggie is a God.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by PCC87
    Don't even start, I already said I was a fan of Reggie. This is just something that bothered me about him. I'm sorry I don't worship the ground he walks on.

Quote Originally Posted by PCC87
    Nice sig.

Hopefully the Pacers really will 'own him' by next season.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

McThugg

I normally just lurk around here, but I wanted to share my Reggie story. I was a Junior in HS and one of the Seniors was a ballboy ( and later a trainer trainee) and invited Reggie to one of our games. He showed up watched the entire game from left field and after the games signed autographs for all who wanted them, then said thanks for letting him watch and left. What more can you expect? Not much as far as I am concerned. Reggie was, is, and always will be classy.

One simple rule. Don't bother athletes when they are out to dinner. It is their time to be away from the game. Just don't.

The other scenario surprises me somewhat.

BustedPants

None of Skaut Ech's stories of Reggie surprise me. If I was your sister or you, I would also feel as if Reggie was a jerk. When treated that way by a celebrity of any kind after years of supporting him, it is hard not to feel a little bitter towards the person.

From my perspective, I see it as two occurrences where an adult is asking a celebrity for an autograph. I agree with ABADays--- it's best not to ask a celebrity for an autograph when he or she is out at dinner. If you have to say, "I'm sorry to bother you, but [I think I deserve an autograph from you even though you are obviously busy with family/friends]," then I think an easy, "I don't do autographs" is understandable. Obviously he does do autographs--- check him out at most games--- but it's probably much nicer than what he wants to say, like "can't you see that I am out with a girl here?"

Quote Originally Posted by BustedPants
    None of Skaut Ech's stories of Reggie surprise me. If I was your sister or you, I would also feel as if Reggie was a jerk. When treated that way by a celebrity of any kind after years of supporting him, it is hard not to feel a little bitter towards the person.

From my perspective, I see it as two occurrences where an adult is asking a celebrity for an autograph. I agree with ABADays--- it's best not to ask a celebrity for an autograph when he or she is out at dinner. If you have to say, "I'm sorry to bother you, but [I think I deserve an autograph from you even though you are obviously busy with family/friends]," then I think an easy, "I don't do autographs" is understandable. Obviously he does do autographs--- check him out at most games--- but it's probably much nicer than what he wants to say, like "can't you see that I am out with a girl here?"
    Oh, I didn't say I considered him a jerk because of it. I will say what bothered me about the restauranty deal is that no one would have known. The place was empty.

My brother and argue about the autograph thing all the time. From his perspective he thinks this:

When an athlete goes to eat and gets him meal comped, he doesn't mind. When he gets VIP at the niteclub, or drinks for free, he's not putting up a fuss. When he gets special discounts for purchases, he's not complaining. He works very few hours for comparatively ridiculous pay. Preferencial treatment is a way of life for these guys, but on the occassion that he may want to have a meal out, he feels the right to turn folks down? Well, that doesn't sit right with my brother. He feels with all the perks they have, that's just something they should deal with. If they want privacy, they have the money to have just about any meal, with personell to serve it, to their home.

Personally, I was disappointed becasue both requests were done discretely where people couldn't have looked over and went, "Reggie's signing autographs!! Let's get one."