Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,683

    Default For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Simple question, and know I don't want to do a poll, I want to know who thinks whatt.

    Do you want Reggie to return next season. We know the Pacers will pay him regardless and it will count on the cap, so that is not an issue.

    My answer is:

    NO. It is time to move on, it is time for other players to step into the leadership role.

  2. #2

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    No, he left the game on a good note.

  3. #3
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    No. If we had been at full force this season, he would have only been a hinderance. It's fitting, almost, that our season went to the toilet, so that Reggie could go out shooting.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  4. #4
    foretaz
    Guest

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Simple question, and know I don't want to do a poll, I want to know who thinks whatt.

    Do you want Reggie to return next season. We know the Pacers will pay him regardless and it will count on the cap, so that is not an issue.

    My answer is:

    NO. It is time to move on, it is time for other players to step into the leadership role.
    the way reggie went out this year....was just about perfect...really....forced into visiting the fountain of youth, and playing like the reggie of yesteryear in a lot of ways....

    but in some ways, as much as we love him, his skills have diminished....and i know that a tough one for us to accept...but all we have to do is simply look at his 3 point percentage and that tells alot about where hes at....

    and for him to come back play a whole season coming off the bench....well thats just not fitting, i dont believe....

    however, i do see a scenario that could be possibly beneficial...but time will tell....and that is reggie returning around the all star break-near the trading deadline...but only under certain circumstances....

    i have concerns about this teams outside shooting....even reggies dimished percentage he is still perceived as a threat and changes the way people play us defensively....

    and i could see a scenario where he might be the missing piece...much like dale was brought in late to help make a final run....

    this way the team will form its own identity and wont be leaning on reg...they will have camp and most of the season to find their way....but if theyre missing that one ingredient, then reggie could come in and provide some more veteran play and leadership and help the team make a run at the championship....then coming off the bench isnt such a big deal as he would just be a complement... versus being a nonstarter for the first time since his rookie year....doesnt seem to be the same thing to me if he comes play 30 games and comes off the bench as it would him coming off the bench all season...

    but i emphasize that all of this has to be in place....if the pacers are rolling without him....then i dont see it....id love for him to have a ring...but i dont think reggie wants to get one on the tails of others....if its obvious he could play a role....then great....this way he would be fresh....and could be just the spark the team needs....time will tell..

  5. #5
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    No, I don't want him to come back.

    As for him not having a ring Stephen said if they win next year he's sending his ring to Reggie. I fully expect Reggie will send it right back.

  6. #6
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Yes, I want him back
    Not at ALL convinced that we have the mental strength to make the finals without him.
    His shooting OFF THE BENCH would be invaluable.

  7. #7

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Yes. He showed he still has it. Without him, our team will be in fights every game.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

  8. #8
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without him, our team will be in fights every game.
    If you mean literal fights no we won't. That's what we keep Austin around for--to keep us out of fights.

  9. #9

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    No. I love Reggie so much, but his ending was perfect. If Reggie were to come back it would be just like Jordan coming back to the Wizards or any other time JOrdan came back.

    Reggie is way too set on not coming back, and he's sincere. Plus, I don't know if I can go through another Reggie departure.

  10. #10
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,449

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    No. It would cheapen everthing that the ending to this season has meant, IMO.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  11. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,683

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you mean literal fights no we won't. That's what we keep Austin around for--to keep us out of fights.

    Yeh, maybe Austin can be a bouncer one day. He is great at holding guys back

  12. #12
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, its time to move on...........
    Yup time for the young guys to go on without Reggie.

  13. #13
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,358
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    NO , as others have said the way Reggie went out was the best ending we could have imagined (short of a championship). Going out guns firing , then riding off into the sunset.

  14. #14
    Member Alabama-Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lake Guntersville, Alabama
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,682

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    YES,but as an assistant coach. We are paying him, why not make him an assistant coach and he can still help the young group.


    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

  15. #15
    PacersFan
    Guest

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    No, I think this is the right time, but I'm sure that next year when there's a technical on the other team (or the Pacers for that matter), or if we're up with a few seconds left knowing the other team's going to foul, or when we need a three pointer at the end of the game, that's when we're are really going to miss him the most.

  16. #16
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why not make him an assistant coach and he can still help the young group.
    Because he doesn't want to coach. He's said for years he has no interest in coaching. Has he ever even had a basketball camp?

  17. #17
    Member Doug in CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,175

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Well let me put it this way....

    We will be in desperate need for scoring punch off the bench and 3 point shooting.

    There will also be a leadership void.

    If we go out and fill that void, with a vet who can come off the bench, provide a spark, and hit clutch 3s... then yes, storybook ending that can end with Jax or JO handing their ring to Reggie next June.

    But I do not know if we will find someone better suited to fill that void through free agency or a trade. Let's see what bugeyes does.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

  18. #18
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NO , as others have said the way Reggie went out was the best ending we could have imagined (short of a championship). Going out guns firing , then riding off into the sunset.
    Ditto.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  19. #19
    Member Alabama-Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lake Guntersville, Alabama
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,682

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because he doesn't want to coach. He's said for years he has no interest in coaching. Has he ever even had a basketball camp?
    I understand and you are correct but make him part of management in some capacity since you are paying him and that would at least make him eligible for a post-season award if that would happen.

    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

  20. #20
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,878

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    My head says 'no'. My heart says if the team is on a championship pace to let him come back to ride the coattails toward the end of the season BUT I doubt he'd do that and secondly, that is going against what my head tells me.

    I suppose the storybook could work like this:
    Pacers are on a tear towards the playoffs. One of our players goes down in late Feb or March and will miss a month (maybe our first SG off the bench...maybe a starter). Reggie comes back to fill that void and sticks with the team thru the playoffs and the championship. The injured player returns so the Pacers are back at full strength going into the final games and playoffs. No pressure on Reggie and the situation doesn't really distract from this past season and what he was able to do.

    If you really want a storybook finish: Reggie scores the winning basket in the deciding game of the finals.

    But that is "Hollywood"... this is reality. It is time the team moved on. Reggie went out in one of the best scenarios possible. It was "storybook" as it was. Really, the scenario we saw really wasn't all that probable... Still leading the team. Still able to 'bring it' to a big game. Still having 30 point games.

    I think Walsh should spend his time making sure our championship aspirations are covered, not trying to ruin Reggie's storybook ending.

    -BBall
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  21. #21
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,946

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    No, because he doesn't want to. That's why I was so mad when the "One More Year" chant started. Respect the guy's wishes.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  22. #22
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    If Reggie is 100% sure he isn't comming back. I'm a 100% sure it is time to move on without him.

    This last year, "Miller The Filler" was back out of necessity, but the way this team is run with everything having to go through J.O., we would just see what we have seen since 2000, Reggie not being used to his full potential. I have totally hated the Uncle Reggie roll on the court, because I knew that he had what we seen this year in him. Between having guys that couldn't set screens to save their lives, and constantly dumping it into the post for our 6-11 jump shooter. Reggie would just be a shell of what we just seen this year.

    He is leaving on the perfect note!

  23. #23
    Jesus Shuttlesworth
    Guest

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    No, it would look stupid after all that if he came back. He has gone through with all the ceremonies, tributes, etc. He has to stay retired or he will look like an idiot who can't make up his mind.

  24. #24
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,916

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My head says 'no'. My heart says if the team is on a championship pace to let him come back to ride the coattails toward the end of the season BUT I doubt he'd do that and secondly, that is going against what my head tells me.
    Yeah, that's the same dilemma I'm having. I feel the same way.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  25. #25
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,620

    Default Re: For the record. Do you want Reggie to return next season

    NO!

    Time to move on.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •