Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking ahead part 1......

Default Re: Looking ahead part 1......

I am looking forward to the summer - I am a dark-sider. Changes need to be made.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with whoever said history is not a place to look to predict the future. History is an excellent place to look if you are trying to predict the future.

He who ignores history is condemned to repeat it...

-Bball
    I did not say to ignore history. You must learn from history but you can not predict the future from history.

Just because something happened, it doesn't mean it will necessarily happen again. Yes, there are tendencies but that is all they are.

You must learn from your mistakes and try not to repeat them.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

I think people need to understand just what a trainer does. From the Mayo Clinic:

Athletic trainers evaluate, advise and treat athletes and others who are physically active to assist them in recovering from injury and preventing injuries.

Athletic trainers play a significant role in the management, prevention, recognition and rehabilitation of injured athletes. Under the supervision of a licensed physician, athletic trainers administer immediate emergency and follow-up care. They develop athletic injury prevention and treatment programs using their knowledge of biomechanics, anatomy and pathology.

For athletes, athletic trainers also provide a vital communication link between the injured athlete, the physician, the coach, and sometimes the athlete's family, to determine when itís right to return to practice and competition.
    Does that have anything to do with Bender? Hardly, he's a freak of nature, and there's nothing that can be done to prevent him from having ****ty knees. And remember, Bender finally came in looking like a physical stud this year, and it didn't change a god damn thing.

Tinsley? He came into this season in the best shape ever. Besides giving him a flu shot, I don't know what could be done here. His foot was misdiagnosed by a physician, and David Craig treated him accordingly based on that diagnosis.

O'Neal? Again, JO came into the season in great shape. Sure, you can argue he was carrying too much muscle, but that was his choice. Regardless, I don't think that had anything to do with tearing up his shoulder.

Jeff? How is a trainer supposed to prevent ****ing up the joint socket of your hip during a summer pickup game?

Reggie/AJ/Freddie? A broken hand is a broken hand. Only thing Craig could do is get them to wear boxing gloves while playing, which, theoretically, might alter their shot a bit.

If you want to revamp our medical staff due to misdiagnosies of JB and Tinsley, that's perfectly understandable. But that has nothing to do with our training staff. We just had a run of bad luck.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And it begins ...

As the perennial anti-dark-sider, I suppose I should put in my worth.

First off, help me to understand one thing. I think a perusal of our posts during both the Boston series and the Detroit series showed we basically all agreed that we were best when we moved the ball around a lot and got it into the middle for an easier shot, while we were worst when we tried to either constantly iso JO or iso a perimeter player leading to a bricked jump shot.

Yet, the "dark-siders" are saying we need to go to a point guard who spends less time distributing the ball and more time on isolation trying to create a shot?

How does that work unless we completely blow up the team into a run-and-gun Western Conference-style fast break team? That'd take about a dozen trades and a new coach. Besides that, it seems far riskier to come up with a team that depends on beating other teams to offensive rebounds considering who we have to beat in our division and conference. I suspect we'd drop to lottery land faster than you can say "Jerry Krause" - except our chances of ever getting first pick would be nil.

I can't argue with the premise that a great player who is injured is worth less than an average player who is always on the floor. On the other hand, I don't really believe that certain players (other than He Who Shall Not Be Named) are necessarily injury-prone.

Personally, I think this season was as much of a fluke as the seasons some years ago where we didn't see a single major injury. Therefore, the prospect of Jamaal being "always injured" isn't a major consideration for me.

Besides, we have to have one person on the team who can see the court and get the ball to the right player at the right time. That isn't Jax, and it certainly isn't JO (his biggest flaw, in my opinion).

Upgrading our backcourt is vital, but I believe it starts at 2 guard, not at 1.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    Yet, the "dark-siders" are saying we need to go to a point guard who spends less time distributing the ball and more time on isolation trying to create a shot?

How does that work unless we completely blow up the team into a run-and-gun Western Conference-style fast break team?
    Detroit plays our deliberate style, doesn't have a true pass first point guard, and their ball movement is better than ours. I think that is the model to look at.

Having more players on the floor that have to be respected offensively and not having 2 players who completly dominate the ball may help the offense. Right now our offense only runs well when the "good" Tinsley is healthy and playing. The other 2/3 of the season (and playoffs) we struggle because the offense does not function without him. Either he has to be healthy and "good" or we need a change.

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369
    Detroit plays our deliberate style, doesn't have a true pass first point guard, and their ball movement is better than ours. I think that is the model to look at.

Having more players on the floor that have to be respected offensively and not having 2 players who completly dominate the ball may help the offense. Right now our offense only runs well when the "good" Tinsley is healthy and playing. The other 2/3 of the season (and playoffs) we struggle because the offense does not function without him. Either he has to be healthy and "good" or we need a change.
    Can't that change be a Tinsley clone.

If the "offense does not function without him", why not move AJ & fine someone that can move the offense when he is in the game?

I've only skimmed this thread, but put me down as wanting to keep Tinsley. PG and Centers are the toughest positions to fill, and I don't have a clue where we would get a replacement.

Would you trade him for another PG? How are you going to upgrade with a straight up trade. Every PG in the league with JT's talent makes much more money.

Trade to get someone in the draft? PG's don't usually come in and set the league on fire, and the NBDL is littered with first round draft picks that could not make it as NBA PG's.

I would be really hesitant to trade Tinsley. He is not overpaid and when healthy is one of the top 5-7 PG's in the league. He has had some injuries, but I think you have to take the risk. Everybody gets injured. O'Neal missed a lot of time, Reggie missed some time, Pollard, Foster, Harrison, etc.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see a scenario where the Pacers lose Tinsley and improve as a team, unless they go for a short term fix by trading for Jason Kidd or something

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    Can't that change be a Tinsley clone.

If the "offense does not function without him", why not move AJ & fine someone that can move the offense when he is in the game?
    I just don't know who that would be. There seems to be so few pass first PGs. And none that I can think of that would be available and not be a significant downgrade from the "good" Jamal.

If there is someone available and 75% the player the "good" Jamal is, I'm all for it.

Andre Miller maybe ? Is he available?