Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Looking ahead part 1......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking ahead part 1......

I'm going to try & do this position by position.

But first I will go ahead & just give an overall view of where I think the team is & where it is going.

Well we might as well talk about the big pink elephant in the room to begin with.

Let's just go ahead & get this out of the way right up front. There is a fairly large portion of posters on here who will share this thought.

Next year with Ron Ron the poser on the team (a referance to his supposed posing for the Detroit bus btw) we will be on a single solitary mission. A mission to stamp out evil & as I've already read one poster write, the Bulls 72 win season is in jeopardy. Championship rings are already being sized up & it's just a formality to go through the season.

That is the extreme I know, but I think you would be suprised at how many of our fellow posters actually beleive this.

Then there are those on here who beleive that the lineup, as it stands, is certainly a title contender & they feel very good just standing pat & going into the season with the same exact players because they want to give them a chance.

Quite a few of our fellow posters will fall into this catagory.

Then there is the dark side. There are those who believe that Ron Artest used up his "let's give Ron another chance" card last season when he refused to board the team plane to come home & virtually ended game 6 last season single handidly. They also beleive that there are fundamental flaws on this team that has to be addressed over the summer & that if things remain the same all we will have is another good regular season followed by playoffs where we will have happy sunshiny people saying "well they're still young, we've got to give them a chance to grow together".

Very few will walk on the dark path but those that do will feel confidence in thier opinion & will be heckeled by the masses. It will be up to the dark side to make certain that things stay civil this summer. Because much like when Piston & Pacer fans mix at the fieldhouse these opposite sides do not blend well together.

Jay, a well known hater, made a post in the regular season & it is more appopriate now than ever. http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...regular+season

There is a lot to both agree & disagree with in that thread, depending on your point of view.

Are there other points of view? Sure, but I think the above three cover the vast majority of posters on here.

Now where do I fall? Well let's just say that I have issues with the team as it is composed.

I just want to point out one indisputable fact. With a healthy Ron Artest & an injured Jermaine O'Neal & Jamaal Tinsely the Indiana Pacers took the Detroit Pistons to 6 games & lost. Without Ron Artest at all & an injured Jermaine O'Neal & Jamaal Tinsley the Indiana Pacers took the Detroit Pistons to 6 games & lost.

I see no differance other than now we will be doing it without Reggie Miller. Of course if you are gonna say all three are going to be healthy then that is another story, however all three being healthy is another story & it is something I will cover in depth later.

I also sincely believe there are teams in the East that are not only catching up to us right now I think we may be at the point where Chicago has passed us (depending on Curry's health). The N.B.A. will always be more than happy to have the LaBron dynasty form & if Redd goes there this summer... But Washington is getting close, Orlando will improve & needless to say both Detroit & Miami are ahead of us as we speak. If Shaq doesn't win it this year don't think for a min. that Miami won't go all out to get another player to help him get one.

Needless to say I am NOT one of the ones who beleive a return of Ron Artest will automatically assure a title. But I will deal with Ron in another post about the small forwards.

Today is a day to look at our point guard spot.

As it stands we have Jamaal Tinsley as our starter, Anthony Johnson as the first reserve, Eddie Gill as the third string & Fred Jones who can do emergency work at the spot.

Jamaal Tinsley. I made a post very early in the year & I know I also said it at the forum gathering. I said that I thought Jamaal (at that time) was the best p.g. in the entire N.B.A. Well obviousley Steve Nash took that mantle over & never gave it back but for awhile I thought J.T. was as good as any pg in the NBA. I still stand by that. He, almost by himself, made it possible so that when we were so short handed we were still competative.

He is almost the ideal p.g. for my way of thinking. He is a great dribbler, defenses don't even bother to try & trap him, he is a great creator, he is a good passer, he can penatrate, he can score in the lane & I think he has become a good defender (gambles a little to much but in his case sometimes it pays off big).

He is everything I ever wanted in a point guard & I have been a big fan of his since his rookie season. That is why it is all the more difficult to say the following.

I think the Pacers need to trade Jamaal Tinsley.

I don't know if it's just the Bender backlash or the season backlash or whatever. But I'm just tired of certain players never playing the game. Yes, yes I know he was hurt. Had that mysterious ligiment pain & all. Great, but what people forget & it seems to be a time that all have forgotten is that Jamaal injured his foot in either his first or second game back from not playing because he was sick & hadn't played for like 4 games. But on top of that earlier in the year he was not playing because of a pull, strain or something.

You can be the best basketball player to ever play the game & if you can't play half the season then you really are not doing your team any good. There can never be a flow developed & every time you do get a groove going on, poof your gone again.

Now we hear he reinjured the foot in the semi-finals. It's just not going to end with him. He played 80 games as a rookie and has proceded to play less games every year since.

Now I'll be honest I wasn't thrilled with his morphing into Ivereson this season but I understand we were desperate for offense so I can live with it. But I just can't go through another season knowing that we are one game away from having to lose Jamaal for 3-4 weeks at a time for whatever reason. At this point I don't even care if his injury's are legit or not (BTW I do believe they are legit) it's just time to fill this team again with players who are durable even if they are slightly less talented.

Anthony Johnson. Started out the season sucking. Ended the season as the suprise point guard who actually deserved to start. I still say A.J. is one of the best backup p.g.'s in the entire NBA.

Oh he has weaknesses, no doubt. But they are minute & in fact he works very hard to minimize his weaknesses. He still is a weak dribbler for a p.g. but what can you do? However he is above average as a defender & is really quite a capable scorer & is not afraid to go into the trees.

He is nowhere near the creator that Jamaal is but he is a lunchpail kind of player & I mean that as a compliment. He is also something the Pacers really lack. A solid vet. who is a leader.

I have zero problem with the Pacers keeping him. I do believe his contract is a little large for what he is, but when he was starting at the end of the season & almost avg. a double double I think he earned a huge chunk of that money.

Eddie Gill. In the long tradition of Ollie, Strickland, Brewer, etc. who come to the team & do emergency work as the third guard. As long as he accepts that this is what he is I can't see any real harm in keeping him.

Ok, that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement & it's not. But for a third string p.g. I think he's fine. He can penatrate & he can shoot fairly well. His defense is solid for his size but his ball handling is..... well... atrocious.

He is good for spot min. & seems to be a good team guy. So, for what he is, I say we should just keep him.

Now since I'm advocating trading Jamaal what do I think would be better? Well, honestly I don't know. A healthy Jamaal would be my answer, but I no longer have faith that that will happen.

To me Jamaal is one of the few real tradeable players we have on this team. He is signed long term & his contract is very reasonable.

I guess I would be willing to explore Uncle Bucks dream of a shooting point guard. God knows that that is repulsive to me on the surface, however it cannot be denied that it has worked for Detroit for a few seasons now.

Ok, fire away at me fellas. Let the venom flow in my direction because since jay is now on vacation it is up to Bball & myself to rep our peeps & show our colors of darkness because as you all know, we ride together!!!!!

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Re: Looking ahead part 1......

JT's contract has a poison pill clause in addition to being base year doesn't it?

As you said JT when healthy is the perfect PG for the Pacers. I think his injuries are concerning but I think upgrading the 3rd PG position as an insurance policy is a better play than trading him. I agree that when he is healthy he is a top 5 PG, and a top 3 pass-first PG.

His contract is almost as close to untradable as you can get. If the Pacers can manage his injury better, then we can have the best of both worlds. Obviously if he is playing backup PG instead of 3rd PG Eddie Gill just cant cut it, with Tins' injury concerns I think 3rd PG is the proper place to upgrade. AJ is one of the better backup PG in the NBA, but his skills aren't always what the Pacers need. As someone in another thread said, the Pacers need their Arroyo, someone who can run the offense almost as fluidly as Tins and create for their teammates.

I think a european player is the way to go here, Sarunas Jasikevicious would be a fantasic pickup. If we could get DD to take vets min for 2-3 years and could sign JJ and a 3rd PG with the min level exception that would be perfect for me.

Comment

I think the Pacers need to trade Jamaal Tinsley.
      ok...u want to get rid of the guy because he missed half the season this year...not that it matters, but if we did use that formula we would be getting rid of a lot of players this offseason....

if i play devils advocate for a minute....if u like his play and the play of the team when hes in....how do u just jump to the fact that its time to get rid of him, because hes never gonna stay healthy? probably even more important is, ok, we get rid of him....now what do we do???? i guess i would kinda like an actual idea or two regarding what we do if we do get rid of him-as that would seem pretty important in weighing whether we should get rid of him or not....

now if ur saying we need to upgrade the pg slot...ok...u seem comfortable with the backup, which i have a feeling most would probably be fairly agreeable on...i think u might get some heat over the 3rd pg but like u say, how much can u expect....i think it might be interesting to get a young talented pg in the draft and then u might be in a bit better position if tins did happen to go down....

because im really not sure how easy it will be to upgrade from tins....its not like there are tons of point guards out there that would be an upgrade(with tins being considered in the top 6-8 when healthy)...and when it comes to health, u never know....its easy to get frustrated, especially after this season.... i mean the fact he had injury problems could just as easily be attributed to the fact that everyone was put in such a stressful position follwing the brawl that everybody became much more susceptible to injury....

you see, the one thing we really dont know is what kind of difference him coming to camp so fit did for him last year....because i feel its about impossible to use last year as much of a barometer for him, given all that happened....and thats the difficult part about assessing any part of the team from this season....there are just so many variables.....

how would u feel if u traded tins and he went somewhere and had an all star year and remained healthy?...would u look back on it and say that the overall frustration from this season maybe caused a bit of a kneejerk reaction in wanting to get rid of tins???

do we really know hes fragile???? injuries happen in this game...and he didnt really suffer an injury last year til the playoffs...and while u can argue he didnt play the first two months-im not sure thats anything but rationalizing and u could just as easily argue that him coming into camp in superior physical shape could be just the difference maker u need....

or u could go after kidd...or try the old guy payton...or stoudamire...or anyone...when u start to look at the alternatives out there...i thinnk u have to stop and really think long and hard....its so easy to get frustrated and say its time for someone to go...and im not saying ur frustrated...but at the same time....is it feasible to upgrade the spot??? and if so...what will it cost??? only after we determine these things, do i really think u can say, in all fairness, that we need to trade tinsley.....

show me a way to get kidd here and not lose artest and jo....and be able to bring in a young guard in the draft that can be groomed for a couple years down the road....then i would agree with u.....the experience and leadership would be invaluable....but i really have my doubts that anything remotely resembling this could happen....if nick van exel or gary payton is the answer, well then i think id probably have to think twice about getting rid of tins....

Comment

Is there any room left in that wagon Peck, for I too am a darksider, big suprise. BTW, how do you circle the wagons if there is only one wagon...nevermind.

As you know I have issues with Tinsley. The injuries you mention being secondary to the mental weakness. Tins is very very good when not injured and when he has his head in the game. If he either comes up lame or loses his mind we need a starting calibre PG in reserve ala Arroyo. A PG that can go in and not be pressured in the backcourt, one that can find his man and distribute. He does not have to be a scorer nor does he have to be Tinsley quality, but a slight upgrade from AJ is an improvement and would be cheaper than trying to replace a top 5 PG. I really do like AJ but, an upgrade at the back-up PG is where I see a better chance for improvement. (Sorry AJ if you're reading this, I promise to find you a really good situation)
        Eddie Gill is Geezer Jr's fav player not named Reggie so for that reason alone we have to keep him, not that it matters. He's there basically to learn anyway. Fred Jones is my favorite target for trade-bait. Less than adequate as BU PG and too undersized to be THE backup at 2, he is relegated to 3rd string IMPO, perhaps 2 1/2 string....but tradeable.

My one fear in keeping Tinman is....Tinsley/Jax2/Artest...and to a degree JO....all have ref related issues. Can we have them getting frustrated during games and losing control of their emotions. No, I don't mean all three might pull an 11/19...but they could get their collective heads down over the refs and be taken completely out of the game by feeding off one another's frustrations. Just imagine a team of 2-3 or even 4 Jalen Rose's all at once.
        Ever notice how friendly folks are at a shootin' range??.

Comment

Originally posted by skyfire
          JT's contract has a poison pill clause in addition to being base year doesn't it?
          Can't be both.

If you're a player on your rookie contract who's been signed to an extension for bigger money you're poison pill.

If you're in the first season of your new contract you're BYC. Being both is impossible - after July 1 Tinsley will be BYC.
          The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedKnick
            Can't be both.

If you're a player on your rookie contract who's been signed to an extension for bigger money you're poison pill.

If you're in the first season of your new contract you're BYC. Being both is impossible - after July 1 Tinsley will be BYC.
            SO he COULD be traded before 7-1? Like just prior to the draft? Not that I'm advocating that, just testing scenarios.

Comment

He could be traded after, before is almost impossible, and if after, only to a team under the cap.

as simple as that.
              So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
              Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Comment

Originally posted by indygeezer
                SO he COULD be traded before 7-1? Like just prior to the draft? Not that I'm advocating that, just testing scenarios.
                He CAN be traded either way - just with poison pill (I believe - too lazy to check) what you get in return is someone with a salary worth half of what he's making now and what he makes with his new salary - averaged over the length of the contract.

For BYC's your player's trade value is half his current salary.

For most players, it doesn't make a lot of difference either way. To make a deal with Tinsley you'll either:

A) Trade with a team under the cap
                B) Need to use a 3rd team to make salaries work
                C) Make it such a blockbuster that the difference in salaries is within the 15% (or is it 12.5%?) threshhold.

Here's one for you. Atlanta REALLY needs a PG, they're under the cap and they have this Al Harrington fella ...
                The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedKnick
                  He CAN be traded either way - just with poison pill (I believe - too lazy to check) what you get in return is someone with a salary worth half of what he's making now and what he makes with his new salary - averaged over the length of the contract.

For BYC's your player's trade value is half his current salary.

For most players, it doesn't make a lot of difference either way. To make a deal with Tinsley you'll either:

A) Trade with a team under the cap
                  B) Need to use a 3rd team to make salaries work
                  C) Make it such a blockbuster that the difference in salaries is within the 15% (or is it 12.5%?) threshhold.

Here's one for you. Atlanta REALLY needs a PG, they're under the cap and they have this Al Harrington fella ...
                  Please noooooooooooooo!
                  Hell nooooooooooooooo!
                  ANDY: I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy winning or get busy losing.

Comment

Dang I'm really going to be in a minority here. I stated in another thread that I get frustrated with the mental aspect of Tinsley's game and other times just marvel at what he can do. I want Tins2. However, I don't think JT's maturity level will ever catch up to his game. When his "manhood" gets challenged, there might as well be no other players on the court with him. He's going to try and beat his man throwing out any team options. I think we are going to have a big problem with attitude next year if some of these guys can't tone it down. I believe Rick thinks this too.

I have been a critic of Johnson. As a person, I think Anthony is a great guy. As a back-up, I think Anthony is a great guy. But, my God, where did he get those hands. Honestly, I have never seen a guard have so much trouble keeping control of the ball. We won't see another season like this for AJ and I hope we never have to.

As far as Gill, there isn't going to be anybody any better than him as a third-stringer. He tries and does what he is suppose to do so I say keep him.
                    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Comment

Originally posted by ABADays
                      Dang I'm really going to be in a minority here. I stated in another thread that I get frustrated with the mental aspect of Tinsley's game and other times just marvel at what he can do. I want Tins2. However, I don't think JT's maturity level will ever catch up to his game. When his "manhood" gets challenged, there might as well be no other players on the court with him. He's going to try and beat his man throwing out any team options. I think we are going to have a big problem with attitude next year if some of these guys can't tone it down. I believe Rick thinks this too.

I have been a critic of Johnson. As a person, I think Anthony is a great guy. As a back-up, I think Anthony is a great guy. But, my God, where did he get those hands. Honestly, I have never seen a guard have so much trouble keeping control of the ball. We won't see another season like this for AJ and I hope we never have to.

As far as Gill, there isn't going to be anybody any better than him as a third-stringer. He tries and does what he is suppose to do so I say keep him.

So, we ride together on this one ABADays. Good, pass the French Fries.

Peck...are we doing this one position ata time?

Comment

I've got your back Geezer
                        The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Comment

Originally posted by indygeezer
                          Is there any room left in that wagon Peck, for I too am a darksider, big suprise. BTW, how do you circle the wagons if there is only one wagon...nevermind.

As you know I have issues with Tinsley. The injuries you mention being secondary to the mental weakness. Tins is very very good when not injured and when he has his head in the game. If he either comes up lame or loses his mind we need a starting calibre PG in reserve ala Arroyo. A PG that can go in and not be pressured in the backcourt, one that can find his man and distribute. He does not have to be a scorer nor does he have to be Tinsley quality, but a slight upgrade from AJ is an improvement and would be cheaper than trying to replace a top 5 PG. I really do like AJ but, an upgrade at the back-up PG is where I see a better chance for improvement. (Sorry AJ if you're reading this, I promise to find you a really good situation)
                          Eddie Gill is Geezer Jr's fav player not named Reggie so for that reason alone we have to keep him, not that it matters. He's there basically to learn anyway. Fred Jones is my favorite target for trade-bait. Less than adequate as BU PG and too undersized to be THE backup at 2, he is relegated to 3rd string IMPO, perhaps 2 1/2 string....but tradeable.

My one fear in keeping Tinman is....Tinsley/Jax2/Artest...and to a degree JO....all have ref related issues. Can we have them getting frustrated during games and losing control of their emotions. No, I don't mean all three might pull an 11/19...but they could get their collective heads down over the refs and be taken completely out of the game by feeding off one another's frustrations. Just imagine a team of 2-3 or even 4 Jalen Rose's all at once.
                          this is my real thought also, geez....tins is one of the better point guards in the league, when healthy....the possibility of upgrading is not likely....because a premium is placed on them....and despite kidds *****ing, i dont see new jersey letting him go...and i certainly dont see giving a star away for just a small improvement at the position.....u can talk about the validity of the leadership a gary payton might supply, but i cant see that as being an answer either....

which leaves u with a point guard that ARGUABLY has a durability problem....which means u need to address his conditioning and his backup....hopefully he gets himself in superior condition and comes into camp ready to play a whole season....if not u have a great backup on the bench that will be one of the first guys off the bench anyway and will allow tins to play fewer minutes throughout the season, thus hopefully adding to his freshness come playoff time...and aj is not that guy...and thats where i think jasikevicous might be fitting it....someone who has experience, albeit not the nba probably works just as well...at least someone like this that can shoot, as we definitely need outside shooting ability, as well as distribute and dribble penetrate....more of a scoring point guard if u will....

as for aj, hes been a great trooper this year....and he has really shined as best he can in his added role....which means his trade value will never be higher....so he will fit nicely in whatever package is deemed useful in acquiring another player, whether its this different point guard or filling out another need like additional outside shooting....or a banger inside...

that said...new jersey can give kidd to us for just about any combination they would like from tinsley/aj, pollard, bender/croshere....though i think theres a snowball's chance in hell of that happening....so i look for an upgrade in the backup point guard...

Comment

Instead of trading Tins, can we just fire David Craig? Our medical staff just seems so incompetent in dealing with injuries... and perhaps more conditioning in the off season would prevent some as well. I am not a doctor, do not play one on TV... but something reeks.
                            Heywoode says... work hard man.

Comment

On the long term I don't see Tins playing 70+ games per season. I aggree with you on that, Peck. I don't want to trade him though. What I want is to basically have one starting PG and one that's as close as it gets to beying a starting PG.

I think that we are going to get the most out of Jamaal if we play him between 28 and 32 minutes a game. I think he can stay as close to durable and healthy as we are going to get with Tins that way. So, in my view we get the most out of him on our team by limiting his minutes, that way we can have the Jamaal that is in my opinion the point guard we really want to have for this team. Someone who can penetrate with his dribble and either finish it with a short or med range jumper or do what he does with the best of best point guards on earth which is dishing. Further, he can shoot the occasional dagger to keep opposing defenses honest, give his direct opponent real problems when Tins is defending, because he really has become VERY decent at defense, gambles a little, but let's keep it real it pays of very regularly with a steal. He's absolutely the sort of PG we need and thus by definition I don't aggree with Peck on that we maybe shoot be getting a PG a la Chauncey Billups. If we do that, I fear, we really are going to have chemistry problems with JO, Ron and SJax ALL wanting their "fare" number of shots (everyone has to determine for him or herself what that number for each player is). Now IF our starting PG ALSO will be shooting a lot more I see really stormy clouds developping on the Pacers-horizon.

So, limit his minutes to keep him durable, but play him enough minutes and at the most critical times to still have a huge impact on our team. So, who gets the remaining minutes? This is very important because we are not talking about 6 or 7 minutes a game, but much more and even more important from arguably the most important position on the court to get our offense working.

First let me say that I have ALWAYS been one of AJ's defenders in here. I love the defence he brings and think he comes through on offense a lot of times at some of the most critical moments of the game. I think though when we limit Jamaal's minutes someone will have to take the court who can also still penetrate and dish-off off that, get by his man and create, keep the offense flowing aswell as someone who can bring up the ball without much of a problem. With all the great things AJ does ... this he does not do or at the very least he does it inadequate in my opinion. AJ, but also Gill, our third stringer just don't bring those things to our team, which I think are vital for what I believe our future PG-spot should bring.

What does all of this lead too (in my crazy mind)? To put it short, we need to trade AJ or let him play as a back up SG, where he would be undersized though, and somehow get a new 2nd PG. The qualities of this new player I have described above.

How to get this player? We could get him by using the draft. One way is to just use our own pick. I don't know if that's going to land the quality player we are looking for though. On the other hand the draft this year has a lot of point guards, right? So who knows. We might try to work our way up in the draft by trading either our own first rounder or second rounder and by adding a player of ours to it. Who might that be? Well I think the most realistic choices would probably be David, Fred, AJ, Jeff or Scot. And since I don't want to get rid of David or Jeff for this it leaves Freddie AJ and Scot as possible add's from our side and knowing Scott will come of the cap at the end of next season, I think we will keep him (I think we will only trade him if management thinks we only need relatively small "missing link" to make us go all the way that could be acquired just before the all star break trading deadline).
                              So, that leaves Freddie and AJ. Personally I would be willing to part ways with either of them IF what we get back in the draft is substantial enough. Problem of this scenario is though we would get a relatively inexperienced PG on our veteran team and he would be playing substantial minutes. Would he be up to the task? Will he hit the rookie wall and be able to recover from it? And would Rick play him those minutes. Personally, I think those are some pretty big "if"s.

The other way to acquire a new PG is by trading for one. The same names come around again here as by the scenario above. I do think management if they decide to keep Ron would be willing to let go off Scot in addition to either AJ, Freddie or our 1st or 2nd rounder this year to acquire that player from another team. Would that be enough? I don't know. Who should we be looking for? I don't know, but somehow the name of Bobby Jackson keeps popping up, though he likes to shoot, he's also able to penetrate and dish. He does have injury issues off his own though. So, anyone else with some names? Jason Williams? Maybe, but would he be good for our chemistry? Would he be willing to live by our gameplan and playing style, what's more ... would he be willing to play second fiddle? I don't think so. So, I don't know who we should be looking for.

Those are mainly the routes to upgrading our PG position. Which route to take? I don't know. Both have their pro's and con's (sp?), but I think changes will have to be made at PG this summer for sure.

Regards,

Mourning
                              2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Comment

Working...
                              X