Thread: Looking ahead part 2.....

Default Looking ahead part 2.....

Ok we've looked at the point guards now it's time to take a look over at the other guard, the two guard.

There will be a large vast hole in our starting lineup that hasn't been present for 17 years (remember he didn't start as a rookie). Reggie Miller will cast a large shadow over whoever starts at this spot for years to come. No matter how good & no matter how cluth this person is the first time they miss a long jumper to tie a game or win it the rumblings of "Reggie would have nailed it" will echo throughout Pacerland.

But alas Reggie is now gone so we must look at what we have.

What we have is a group of players with not one of them a natural two guard.

Stephen Jackson, Fred Jones, Ron Artest, Anthony Johnson & even James Jones can all play at the two guard spot & out of all of them only Fred Jones would play two guard no matter what team he was on.

I mean Jax played s.f. for us & IIRC he played the 3 for both Atlanta & San Antonio as well (I could be wrong there).

But does that mean that we are weak at the two? Not really.

Stephen Jackson should be the starter, assuming he is still here. Jax offers us a lot of matchup options because he is very long & fairly fast. He can go both inside & outside & IMO is a very underrated defender. He is the answer for Rip Hamilton on the defensive end. He is fast enough to at least keep Rip honest & he is long enough that he bothers his shot. Whoever Jax guarded in vs. the Pistons had a hard time scoring. He can hit the three point shot & sometimes when he is on he can hit it in bucketloads. He is not afraid to take the big shot & I'm not afraid for him to take it.

I have no real problem with Jax starting a the two guard spot next season. I know he is a hot head & I am aware that Walsh/Bird may just want to clean house & rid ourselves of people who they percieve as problem children. If that is the case I understand that too. Let's face it around here & in Indy Jax recieved as much if not more of the blame for the Brawl as Artest did.

Fred Jones. He had a horrid horrid playoffs. He was inconsistant & honestly there were times when he was on the floor that I forgot he was there. I know he had a broken Knuckle so that will explain the shooting, but it doesn't explain the lack of defense that he had sometimes.

However he had moments during the regular season that in all honesty I thought we were seeing the makings of a star player. He was almost Wade like in his ability to drive & he even played better defense. I'm not sure what happened to him as the season progressed but he kind of lost that driving ability. It may have been fatigue so I think we can understand that.

As a backup I think he is a good player to have. He can swing between two spots & he can create his own shot. Up until the playoffs he was a very good defender so I hope that comes back next season.

Now here is another problem, he is one of the few tradeable commoditys the team has to deal with so it is possible that he may not be here next year. He won't be the focus of any trade but he certainly could be included to make some other team take another trade. I'm ok with whatever they decide to do with him. I want to keep him but if it means getting a better player then by all means do it.

To summerize, the shooting guard is one spot that I have no real issue with. If we came back with the two of these guys & the others capable of emergency min. there then I would be fine with it. I could also see trying to upgrade the spot as well.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: Looking ahead part 2.....

Nice piece again Peck, I can pretty much aggree with you here and I too see Freddie as one of the most likely parts of a trade IF we make one.

Tomorrow the SF spot

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I don't want Jax traded because I want to see what JO, Jax, and Ron can do together before they are broke up. That said, if Bird trades any of them I will think it's for the best.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone get the feeling that peck's next analysis we get the greatest amount of feedback
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's not forget Bender plays SG too....sometimes....in practice.

I have "concerns" with Jax, but he can also be a keeper. I'm willing to try.

But...if LB wants to break up Dante's Quadrangle of hotheads I see Jax2 as being the most likely to go.
    If Bird has spotted another guy like he had last year, I could envision either Jax2 or Freddie being used as bait along with the #17 in order to move up in the draft. I don't share people enthusiasm for Freddie though. HE can bring energy and excitement to the game but he is an injury away from being a vastly undersized 2 gaurd with no hops and therefore no hope. Without that athleticism he will be schooled.

All in all, I see the 2 as one of our least troubling positions. But you can always up[grade the bench and make the team stronger.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I think the shooting guard spot is good hands. SJax can create some problems tht Reggie never could have (I mean that in a good way). He needs to work on his ball handling skills and better his shooting percentage but all-in-all I think he could be one of the best pick-ups this team has ever made. Another plus is his contribution to the championship season in SA. He knows what it takes. Definite keeper in my book.

As far as back-up. Well, depends if Freddie is able to bring it. If he is the Fred of late we better start looking.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Keep in mind how good Freddie was in last years playoffs. He was the Pacers best player in games #5 and #6 of the ECF. This season he played more minutes than anyone and I think he got completely worn down and slowed down by injury.

Peck, I know you have been somewhat critical of Freddie's defense lately. Just like any player he has some weaknesses defensively. He is not good at doing two things.

1) chasing players around screens. And that is what Rip and Ricky Davis do and that is who Freddie guarded in this years playoffs. Not sure why Fred is not good at this skill.

2) He also is not good at challenging shots. Part of this is due to his lack of size. If you notice whenever he guarded Rip, Rip could just shoot over him or post him up .

Fred is excellent at defending guys who do their damage off the dribble. he can really stay in front of people. He defends Wade very well for example.

As far as Fred's driving, whenever Fred come off the pick and roll teams zoned up and there was no room to drive.

I expect Jax to start, but I would not be shocked if Fred starts and Jax comes off the bench. Rick likes to have a balanced lineup with players coming off the bench and if he believes Ron and Jax will clash a little I could see Jax being the 6th man.

Regardless of who starts Jax will get most of his minutes at shooting guard and give the Pacers something they've never had at that position. A post up option, a good rebounder and someone who will allow the Pacers to be more aggressive defensively

Peck, Jackson started at Shooting Guard for San Antonio in 2003 (Title year). Bruce Bowen was the SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peck, Jackson started at Shooting Guard for San Antonio in 2003 (Title year). Bruce Bowen was the SF.

Yes that is true, although they were interchangeable, and I see jax and Artest as interchangeable.

In fact whenever I analyze a team, I break the positions into 3 groups.

1) Point guard
    2) Shooting guard and small forward
    3) Power forward and center.

[heresy]Jackson will give us more from the SG spot than Reggie has in the past 3 years.[/heresy]
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes that is true, although they were interchangeable, and I see jax and Artest as interchangeable.

In fact whenever I analyze a team, I break the positions into 3 groups.

1) Point guard
    2) Shooting guard and small forward
    3) Power forward and center.
    Right. The swing positions, the power positions, and point guard. What's really nice is having players (combo guards) that can play in either backcourt spot. And then there's the tweener forwards.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!