Thread: This season has left me feeling numb

Default This season has left me feeling numb

I just do not know how to feel. Angry? Proud? Sad? Relieved it is over? the answer of course, is yes.

The season started for me and my son in Boston in early November - where we saw Jermaine make his surprising season debut and Ron have a good game in leading the good guys to a victory.

This team looked good - like it was on a mission. This was the season. This would end all of the frustrations of 'wait until next year' - and this woul dbe the year. My 36th year on the planet, Reggie's 18th and final year - finally, this would be OUR year.

Well without getting too much into it because I know how important it is not to offend pistons fans on a Pacers board - that was taken away from us as fans. Whether it was Ben, Ron, the Pistons fans, or the 1-0 vote in the commisioners office. Say what you will about whether the Pacers had it coming. We, as Pacers fans - did not. So I will always remember 11/21 - because that is the earliest a Pacers season and the accompanying hope has ended in a while. Napolean had heard the cries on NYC talk radio on the 20th - nd his mind was made up - he could make an example of a small market team like he never would have the balls to do to a large market team.

I understand why so many of you felt a sense of pride for what this team accomplished. I do. But it did nothing for me. It was not like we were developing young players for future seasons. It was like a giant band-aid that never healed the wound. Am I proud of the character they displayed? Sure. Was it enough for me? Not considering what this season could have been.

So I was happy that we won like we did and made it to the playoffs - but I was not emotionally wrapped up into this team like I have been to team after team over the past 20 years or so. It was nice, but part of me just wanted the season to end.

I was proud that we won game 7 in Boston. But part of me wanted it to end there because I did not want the istons to beat us. But what if we could actually beat them?

Well, we couldn't - and last night I was just glad the season was over - and I was glad and felt damn lucky to have had Reggie on my team for 18 years. Even more, I felt lucky to be from a place that treated Reggie the way those in attendance did. I will see you all the night that 31 gets risen to the rafters.

I will post more of what I think of the changes needed as my head clears, but initially I would like you all to think about the fact that both Tins and jermaine were not 100% - cut them some freaking slack. Jax is a nice player when he is not a primary (top 2 or 3) option. So when Ron is back, he will be valuable - but we will need a 3 point threat ala Jon Barry. And we need a big body. A younger Dale. is that Harrison? No clue.

So now we have a month more of basketball. I may watch the WCF, but that is about it. Let's get Ron back and maybe Jermaine can hand deliver Reggie the ring we win next year.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Default Re: This season has left me feeling numb

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in CT
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he could make an example of a small market team like he never would have the balls to do to a large market team.
    Amen.
    Was it enough for me? Not considering what this season could have been.

So I was happy that we won like we did and made it to the playoffs - but I was not emotionally wrapped up into this team like I have been to team after team over the past 20 years or so. It was nice, but part of me just wanted the season to end.
    Amen.

Well, we couldn't - and last night I was just glad the season was over - and I was glad and felt damn lucky to have had Reggie on my team for 18 years. Even more, I felt lucky to be from a place that treated Reggie the way those in attendance did. I will see you all the night that 31 gets risen to the rafters.

You summed up my feelings very well in this entire post. Very, very good job!

"If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

Wow - great article on ESPN just posted:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ackson/050520a

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great post, Doug. You guys gave Donnie a lot of slack this year, can't wait to see what you have to say as we go into next season.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    Great post, Doug. You guys gave Donnie a lot of slack this year, can't wait to see what you have to say as we go into next season.
    I think Peck and I need a good 'old buggeyes' moment for old times sake.

he needs to get some shooting on this team - we will see what happens.

Chad Ford has the Pacers as his early pick to win it all in '06 - if Artest stays sane.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire