Thread: An "inverted" offense?

Default An "inverted" offense?

Gregg Doyel's upcoming article about Caleb Swanigan's superlative workout with the Pacers today (yes, I'm driving the Biggie bus) triggered a question in my mind; one worth batting around by the armchair-coaches among us:

What if "bigger & tougher" especially applies to our guards & wings? What if Pritch & Nate intend to run an offense where our outside-shooting bigs (Myles ... Thad? Biggie? BLopez??) pop outside a lot more and our guards & wings use a size & strength match-up advantage to frequently post up underneath?

Would this be desirable? If so, how does this shape your opinion of draftee/FA targets for the Pacers to pursue?

Discuss.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...nba/323351001/

"I think if he is and we pass on Leaf we'd be some dumb mother ****ers."

- Larry Bird to Kevin Pritchard before their pick on Draft Day

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: An "inverted" offense?

If I had to guess, I'd say the idea is that they want guys who are capable playing both inside and out. Pritchard mentioned versatility a few times, and it's certainly the way the league is heading right now.

I honestly think Pacers want to get bigger on the wings too. Ellis isn't get it done.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

sav

In my opinion Bird wanted to have 5 guys on the floor that were basically interchangeable..."positionless basketball. He wasn't successful because he was rebuilding on the run. I think Pritchard wants the same thing. If he could have 4 athletic guys around 6'8" and Myles Turner on the floor, he would be pretty happy.