Thread: See ya guys next year

Default See ya guys next year

Every year I watch the Pacers as much as I can, but I don't really relinquish my role as a husband/father until the playoffs.

Now that they are over, I'll see you some time next year. I'm sure I'll read Peck's final wrap up, but its time to get back on with life.

I really appreciate being able to come here and get stuff off my chest. Only a Pacer fan can really relate to another Pacer fan.

Wow, I am so unbelievable depressed right now. Not only did we lose to the Pistons 4-2 again in consecutive years, but Reggie is gone. Reggie is gone. That is so painful to type.

Usually I am fine by morning... we'll see!

Good Night and what a great season. I am never happy to see us lose, but I am very proud of this team.

Harmonica

Default Re: See ya guys next year

Have a great summer!

I really wish many of the great posters who come around only for the playoffs would stick around all year round, or at least pop in every now and again. We miss people like Brich, Brichard, BillS and many others who are great but way too scarce.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see how people can just stop coming here or just stop watching sports. It's 365 days of sports at my house and this is one of a few boards that I could not stop going to.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really wish many of the great posters who come around only for the playoffs would stick around all year round, or at least pop in every now and again. We miss people like Brich, Brichard, BillS and many others who are great but way too scarce.
    Thanks UB. I honestly don't know if I am going to post much during the summer or not. I became a big time Pacer posting junkie back in the old RATS days. I started taking MBA classes at night, I was working in the day, and eventually I just didn't have time to view/post anymore.

When I came back after my schooling was done, I noticed that many of the familiar posters that I respected simply weren't there anymore and had come to this forum. Honestly I didn't know how well this forum was going to do, but I am glad to see it has thrived.

I lurked here for a few months during the season before I started posting again. I forgot what a great outlet it is, and how nice it is to share in elation and misery with fellow fans. I also forgot how great game insights are on this board. There is a tinge of homerism, but with the diverse posters on this board, you definitely get some balance. We also have some pretty objective folks over here, or at least as objective as you can be as a fan of a team.

I also have to admit that I was a little gun shy to embrace this team with all my heart and emotion again this season. Last year I felt like a jilted bride standing at the altar again. I have posted before on the martyrdom/sadomasochism that sometimes goes along with being an Indiana sports fan. I am a Colts, Pacers, and Hoosiers fan. They have all teased me mightily, and it has been almost 20 years since any of the group has won it all The Colts have been close, and the Pacers and Hoosiers have both been to the finals in the last ten years, but so far now cigar. The ultimate tease...so close.

I may have high expectations, but it has been frustrating to watch the Pistons and Lakers rebuild themselves into champions once again, while we seem to be just a step or two behind them. Our management deserves credit for putting a great product on the floor year after year, so I am not bashing them, I am just tired of being second, third, or fourth best. I am sure that Cubs fans will show me no pity, and Red Sox fans certainly had to wait much longer then I have so far.

The thing that really engaged me with this team again was the 11/19 game. I was half-way watching the game at a neighbor's house, and seeing the whole fight was sucha surreal experience for me. Next I saw the Pacers getting bashed in the media, and seeing the heart of this team in the aftermath really reignited my passion for being a Pacer fan.

The reality of this being Reggie's last season also smacked me right between the eyes. I so badly wanted the Pacer's to bring Reggie home a ring, even though the odds were certainly stacked against the team.

As I begin to gain a clear head from the emotions of last night, I am not sure what to expect out of this team. I think we have a good core of guys right now, but we are definitely missing something. Is it experience? Will Ron fill the void? Will our younger players develop into the key ingredients that we are missing? I honestly don't know.

One thing I think we need above all is a new offense. I can't watch another season of this ugly isolation crap. We need much more consistency here IMO.

Anyway, sorry for the long rambling. It does help me gather my thoughts though.

When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

Quote Originally Posted by brich
    One thing I think we need above all is a new offense. I can't watch another season of this ugly isolation crap. We need much more consistency here IMO.

Brich that was a great great great post man. It truly was.
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Thanks for the kind words - my shining PD moment this year was making a post and having your comment read simply "ditto".

I don't post during the off-season simply because I don't feel like I have that much to contribute. I don't watch much college hoops, so I'm useless in terms of draft speculation. I am sorely ignorant of all but the major players in the rest of the league, so don't ask me about trades or value. I am much too much like Donnie Walsh - choosing to stand pat more often than to take a risk and wind up worse off because of it - for many tastes (though I do enjoy the discussions).

Rest assured I'm reading things almost daily (barring intercontinental trips!) and that I'll begin contributing again when the season rolls around and there are things to report about the poor, maligned Hawks during the annual round up from aound the league.

And, of course, my wife and I will be at the game where they retire Reggie's number. If nothing else, that means I'll be posting that we need tickets
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh