Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38

Thread: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

  1. #26
    Member Mushmouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    38
    Posts
    545

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't think the refs were very good.

    And the old adage that "the aggressive team" gets the benefit of the doubt didn't hold up.

    But really, just like in every game there were two or three calls I didn't like and a couple of plays where I thought we got a break. There's never perfect officiating, but I've got a hard time believing that's why we lost.

    SJax was MIA, and JO's shot got away from him in the second half. The Pistons tightened up their "D". Rip was in a zone. Chauncey played a great game. Perhaps there was too much AJ and not enough Tinsley down the stretch when our offense was struggling. Brownie's halftime adjustments were perfect. The officiating would be no higher than #7/8 on my list.
    Even with Jack and Tinsley's ineffectiveness, if we don't get whistled for the two consecutive Jermaine offensive fouls and the AJ BS call, we don't fall back by 5 with 4 minutes to go.

    one other note:

    Spooner called O'Neal for three fouls in a span of 52 seconds in the fourth quarter.

    Spooner whistled O'Neal for a defensive foul with 9:49 to play and the Pacers leading 68-64. On the next possession, Spooner called on offensive foul when O'Neal was jockeying with Rasheed Wallace for position. After the Pistons pulled within 68-67, Spooner called O'Neal for another offensive foul with 8:57 left, the fourth foul of the game for the O'Neal. Detroit's Richard Hamilton hit a layup with 8:36 to play and the Pacers never led again.

    The Pacers hit 2-of-7 free throws; the Pistons were 22-for-24.

    "That third team out there, the discrepancy in free throw shooting -- they shot 24, we shot seven," Pacers guard Anthony Johnson said. ". . . It's unfortunate the game wasn't decided by the players tonight."

  2. #27
    Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,086

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't think the refs were very good.

    And the old adage that "the aggressive team" gets the benefit of the doubt didn't hold up.

    But really, just like in every game there were two or three calls I didn't like and a couple of plays where I thought we got a break. There's never perfect officiating, but I've got a hard time believing that's why we lost.

    SJax was MIA, and JO's shot got away from him in the second half. The Pistons tightened up their "D". Rip was in a zone. Chauncey played a great game. Perhaps there was too much AJ and not enough Tinsley down the stretch when our offense was struggling. Brownie's halftime adjustments were perfect. The officiating would be no higher than #7/8 on my list.

    The officiating was awful but it didn't cost us the game. The Pistons are clearly a better team. I emphasize team because they played like one and for extended periods of time in these playoffs the Pacers didn't.

    I disagree with your "agressive team" point. The reason the foul shots were so different is because our "Franchise" player kept shooting fade away 20 footers in the second half. That is not being agressive. No one took the ball to the basket in the 2nd half. Tinsley was horrible and so was JO. JO is, for whatever reason, completely intimidated by Detroit, especially Rasheed. I think Rasheed must have really dominated him in practice when JO was in Portland. The guy is in JO's head big time.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

  3. #28
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by fwpacerfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The officiating was awful but it didn't cost us the game. The Pistons are clearly a better team. I emphasize team because they played like one and for extended periods of time in these playoffs the Pacers didn't.

    I disagree with your "agressive team" point. The reason the foul shots were so different is because our "Franchise" player kept shooting fade away 20 footers in the second half. That is not being agressive. No one took the ball to the basket in the 2nd half. Tinsley was horrible and so was JO. JO is, for whatever reason, completely intimidated by Detroit, especially Rasheed. I think Rasheed must have really dominated him in practice when JO was in Portland. The guy is in JO's head big time.

    Fair point. We were the aggressor in the first half, but the refs swallowed thier whistles for the entire half (which was fine since they swallowed thier whistles at both ends of the court.) But the Pistons were clearly more aggressive in the second half.

    And I still believe that JO's shoulder was a bigger problem than JO's head, although if we wanted to see fade-aways in that situation, wouldn't Al be cheaper?? Anyway, I think the shoulder had as much to do with the fadeaways as anything else, so I want to wait until JO's healthy again before I say something like "I want fifteen new players next season" .... wait I already did that.



    Mushmouth, I agree that Bill Spooner's sequence was horrible. I've had to listen to Jay's_Wife@Section204 complain about that portion of the game all night. I just think that there were several other factors that were more significant than the officiating.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  4. #29
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll recap:

    He said "blaming the refs for a loss is poor sportsmanship"
    You said "yeah, but we're not blaming them for the loss"
    He said "that's what the entire thread is about. it's in the title."

    You can thank me later.
    Um... sorry, but that's not what I said...

    I argreed with Buck, and then tossed in my own two cents.

    I never attempted to speak for anyone besides myself...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  5. #30
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,929

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you notice the officiating crew had two refs who Larry Brown has had problems with. Benett Salvatorre and Ken Mauer.
    Absolutely untrue. When Larry was in Philly he had no better asset than Ken Mauer. Mauer is to Philadelphia what Bavetta is to NY.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  6. #31
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,929

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't blame the refs for us losing. I do blame them for Kegboy having an asthma attack during the game.
    I blame it on me screaming so hard because we were losing.

    Anyway, about the refs. The worst officiated game I've ever seen was the Women's NCAA regional final in Lubbock, 1998, where Purdue lost to Louisiana Tech. For those who don't remember (), the refs were perfectly fine the first half. They allowed a good deal of contact, which favored LT, but they gave the impression they were going to let the players decide the game. They were perfectly consistent in their calls, and gave plenty of time for the girls to get into rhythm. Then, they came back at halftime and pulled the rug out from under both teams.

    Now, Thursday wasn't as bad as that was. But it's the first time since that I've seen an officiating crew completely change their gameplan at halftime. If things were getting chippy between teams, then it makes sense to bring the hammer down. But the game was nothing like that. Frustrating.

    And for the record, after I recovered from my attack, I was starting to say the following to grace, but was interrupted by Reggie being taken out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want Salvatore dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground! I want to go there in the middle of the night and **** on his ashes!
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  7. #32
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,927

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Eventhough the officiating was suspect, the most anyone will really say is that it was "inconsistant".

  8. #33
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Mauer? Isn't he the ref that got into some sort of trouble with the NBA a few months ago? Anyone remember what that was about?
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  9. #34
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I want Salvatore dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground! I want to go there in the middle of the night and **** on his ashes!


    WOW! "I HATE THIS GUY!!!" is like un understatement of how you feel about Slavatore!

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  10. #35
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,929

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mauer? Isn't he the ref that got into some sort of trouble with the NBA a few months ago? Anyone remember what that was about?
    He was suspended for a couple years due to tax evasion. Common ref practice of trading in league-furnished airline tickets for cheaper ones, keeping the cash, and not reporting it to the IRS.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  11. #36
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,929

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WOW! "I HATE THIS GUY!!!" is like un understatement of how you feel about Slavatore!

    Regards,

    Mourning
    Not really. You've obviously never heard me say what I'd do to Bavetta if I ever ran into him in a dark alley.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  12. #37
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Ehmmm.... do I want to??? eak:



    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  13. #38
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: I'll absolutely blame the refs for this loss. Unacceptable reffing tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was suspended for a couple years due to tax evasion. Common ref practice of trading in league-furnished airline tickets for cheaper ones, keeping the cash, and not reporting it to the IRS.
    Yes, that was it. Hah! He got orders from Napoleon himself to stop the Indy offense by giving BS-fouls on JO!!! I'm sure, part of the conspiracy against us!!!



    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •