Thread: Appreciate Reg tonight

Default Appreciate Reg tonight

I'm not prone to cheerleading but......whatever happens tonight, it would be great for Reg to get a standing ovation from his home crowd. Wether we are up or down by 20 that would be brilliant to witness. He has done so much for this franchise, it's just weird to think he won't be around. If any of you guys are going tonight, make sure he can hear you!! ADIOS REG!

That is all.You may go back to your work now.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Appreciate Reg tonight

I'm reminded of Kevin McHale's last game.

The Celtics were leading by 1 with a second left, and everybody assumed the series was going back to boston for game 5.

All of a sudden, Mourning hits a shot at the buzzer and McHale's career is over. No substitution ovation, no applause, nothing. Just a picture of McHale on the floor staring up into nothingness.

Sometimes, playoff games don't lend themselves well to farewell games.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Someone on the Pacers staff - maybe even Larry Bird if this happens - needs to be ready to have the Pacers take the floor for a last appreciation moment if they lose. Just a walk around the floor to salute the crowd and be saluted.

I don't know as I've seen that in basketball but I have seen losing teams in the playoffs do this with baseball and football. I think it would be well received.

It's not something you even mention to the team ahead of time - just LB needs to get himself down in the tunnel near the end of the game if things aren't going well.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

LB wouldn't do it. He is a firm believer that you only honor championships - he wasn't comfortable with things after the Finals appearance in 2000.

I think Reg Appreciation took place when it needed to, at the last regular seson game. Next opportunity will be at the number-retiring ceremony.

Now, a chant of "Reg-gie, Reg-gie" after the game might not be out of line, though if Reggie didn't do well (again) it might be more embarassing than honoring.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LB wouldn't do it. He is a firm believer that you only honor championships - he wasn't comfortable with things after the Finals appearance in 2000.

I think Reg Appreciation took place when it needed to, at the last regular seson game. Next opportunity will be at the number-retiring ceremony.

Now, a chant of "Reg-gie, Reg-gie" after the game might not be out of line, though if Reggie didn't do well (again) it might be more embarassing than honoring.

I don't feel that way. It will be a heartfelt sendoff to the most popular Pacer to ever play here.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Someone on the Pacers staff - maybe even Larry Bird if this happens - needs to be ready to have the Pacers take the floor for a last appreciation moment if they lose. Just a walk around the floor to salute the crowd and be saluted.

I don't know as I've seen that in basketball but I have seen losing teams in the playoffs do this with baseball and football. I think it would be well received.

It's not something you even mention to the team ahead of time - just LB needs to get himself down in the tunnel near the end of the game if things aren't going well.

I love the idea.......and I think a sell-out pro-Pacers fieldhouse would be a great show of how much we appreciate:
    1. Reggie
    2.This particular team this season.
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

I'm not talking about anything formal - not even a PA announcement other than "Let's thank the Pacers for a great season!"

I'm talking about the team walking around the floor, acknowledging the fans and being acknowledged. I think it would help the team feel better and I'm absolutely certain the fans would leave with a much more positive feeling. It would take anywhere from 2-5 minutes.

Obviously, if you win you don't do that - you do nothing to even hint that you might have played your last game of the season there. Let the game-ending ovation be enough.

And speaking from a more commercial standpoint, the city has adopted this team more than they have any squad in a long time. They've finally (I think) overcome the memory of the 90's teams. The organization needs to capitalize on that.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Reggie ought to place his shoes in the middle of the court at games end.

For some reason, I've always liked that tradition.

I like that Since. I like that a lot.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

3ptmiller

Yea, im gona make sure he can hear all the way from Europe! Bye reg!

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    I think Reggie ought to place his shoes in the middle of the court at game's end.
    Are you trying to get Sassan arrested? I say security tackles him before he gets past the hash mark.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    Are you trying to get Sassan arrested? I say security tackles him before he gets past the hash mark.......
    I had that exact thought in my mind. Though I couldn't decide between JO7 and Sassan.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I'm reminded of Kevin McHale's last game.

The Celtics were leading by 1 with a second left, and everybody assumed the series was going back to boston for game 5.

All of a sudden, Mourning hits a shot at the buzzer and McHale's career is over. No substitution ovation, no applause, nothing. Just a picture of McHale on the floor staring up into nothingness.

Sometimes, playoff games don't lend themselves well to farewell games.
    During the show Spongebob Squarepants, Spongebob is under the impression that everybody thinks he is ugly. It is actually his breath, but he thinks it is his appearance.

In order to cheer him up, the feeble Patrick decides to tell him a story called "The Ugly Barnacle." Patrick reads "There once was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly that everyone died. The End"

Your post on this thread, in a Pacers forum at this time of year makes about as much sense as Patrick's story to Spongebob. Pacer fans don't have many rays of sunshine right now, so I'd appreciate it if you could take your negativity out elsewhere for a couple of days. Perhaps you could find a nice puppy and kick it.

You rank ever so slightly above a troll today.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My, don't we have our panties in a bunch!

I thought it was a perfectly valid story to tell in this thread.

Go and change your underwear, it's too tight.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

It was a nice setup though.

IndyToad
    Works for the secret service

My, don't we have our panties in a bunch!

I thought it was a perfectly valid story to tell in this thread.

Go and change your underwear, it's too tight.

Bill,

We will agree to disagree. It isn't one single post that I am making my case with Kstat on, but rather a general trend in all his posts. He did this exact same thing last year. I was really starting to wonder why I disliked him so much last year... thought I'd judged him too harshly. But as this playoff series has went on, he keeps reminding me.

Rim (a Knick fan) tries to bring up a good possible ending to a tough year for the Pacers and Kstat brings up one of the worst possible endings to a career in history. Is it valid? I suppose, but reality is depressing enough for Pacer fans right now... leave the fantasy alone!

I just think it is rude to kick somebody when they are down or to be a depressant.

And btw, you offered me no props for using Spongebob in a thread!

BTW... I am wearing tighty whities today.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    I agree with Diamond Dave about JO7.

Actually I think JO7 would be the first one out there.

Speaking of him, anyone actually seen his comments on RATS lately? He's showing his stalker self/rudenss.

woman without a team

I consider myself the last person who would ever stick up for Kstat, but I don't have any problem with what he's said in this thread. If he bothers you that much just put him on your ignore list.

As for JO7 and the RATS board.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    I consider myself the last person who would ever stick up for Kstat, but I don't have any problem with what he's said in this thread. If he bothers you that much just put him on your ignore list.

As for JO7 and the RATS board.

Or perhaps you should just put me on your ignore list.

Overall I rarely get upset with Kstat. And his post here is relatively tame. Perhaps I am not giving my best perspective, and even if I do, you still may disagree with me... which I'm sure we are both okay with.

This post is talking about a good way to end a tough fought season. In spite of a potential loss, Larry could parade the team around Conseco in honor of a job well done. It shows somebody (a Knick fan no less!) trying to show how we can make lemons out of lemonade.

Kstat gets on here and describes how awful it could be. Why would he do that? Many of us are all geared up to see what could be (and was) Reggie's last game. We are facing elimination from the team/fans that ended our year with the brawl. The last thing I want on a day like that is to have a Pistons fan come on a Pacer board and do that. And with the post alone, I probaly could have ignored it. But when you read all of his blatant sarcasm to me and Skaut Etch in other threads, I'd personally had enough. He was just taunting us and just dimming any ray of sunshine we had. I didn't expect him to type a "Pro-Pacers" speech, but come on.

And before you think I'm being too harsh, reverse the situation. If you were a Pacer fan on a Pistons board, would you make that kind of a post? On a day like that? I tend to think that most people wouldn't, but I could be wrong. It's like walking up to a Yankee fan who says "Maybe Mantle will hit one out tonight!" And a Red Sox fan walks up and says "Maybe he'll have a heart attack or strike out instead."

Now I'll admit, I was imposing a double standard here. If Peck (who we also know is dark) comes on and says the same thing it is different. If you are a Pacer fan and choose to be dark, so be it. But for a poster of another team to do his very best to refute any positives that could come out of a game 6 for us, I just think that type of apathy is rude. Perhaps it wasn't antagonistic, but I certainly felt it was apathetic.

Now, I admit to being emotional yesterday. I also admit that many may find my own personal rules of posting etiquette to be to confining, shiny, and happy. But, I felt compelled to say it, got it off my chest, and I don't regret doing it.

I'm sure Kstat will not lose sleep over it either way, but it is water under the bridge for me now. I just remember similar issues (can't get specifics but I do remember the dirty foul Chauncy Billups thread) that happened last year.

Perhaps it is him being rude, Perhaps it is me being too sensitive, and perhaps I should just ignore him for May.