Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76

Thread: Brad Miller

  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    8,898

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure, JO and Tinsley are injured right now, but it's not due to having a pulled goin or a foot sprain
    Uh, what injury - exactly - do you think Tinsley HAS???
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  2. #52
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,286

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It does apply. There are many, many threads about Bender's health, about JT's health and JO's health.

    Each individual's case is different and in no way are they related to each other.

    I have had back surgery. How does that compare to your knee surgery ??

    Comparisons has always been another one of my pet-peeves.

    If I tell someone I am tired and they answer back "Well, I have been up for 26 hours". What has that got to do with my being tired.

    Nothing personal, just ranting.

    Comparrisons mean nothing in the context in which you are saying them. However if you & I were in the same car & were injured thus requireing your back & my knee surgery then there is the context to which to use it.

    Comparisons may be a pet peeve of yours but we use them every day for many things. If your picking a piece of fruit do you look to see if one has a soft mushy part or do you take the first one you pick up?

    When we are comparing Brad it is not because we just want to, it's because the Pacers made comparisons & decided that Brad was not worth keeping.

    I have no real problem with that logic, I strongly disagree with it, but I understand it.

    However it is our fan base on here who use the injury excuse that, IMO, is just unfair & in some cases just ways of justifying whatever Lord Donnie does. You know he can do no wrong don't you? To some people that is the way it is.

    Others have a strong belief that Brad had problems, I disagree with them but I respect thier thoughts on the matter. Others just down any player who was ever here.

    Look no further than Al Harrington for this.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  3. #53
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure, JO and Tinsley are injured right now, but it's not due to having a pulled goin or a foot sprain that could have been prevented due to better conditioning. Both of theirs, both years, were legitimate injuries that were unpreventable. Brad, on the other hand, gets no love from me until he drops about 10 lbs and puts on some muscle. I'm happy we didn't match Sacto's offer, because I blanch at paying a 30+ year old guy 7 figures when he can't get motivated to condition himself during the off-season. He's getting by as it is. He's going to be a boat anchor by the time that contract is over, because he'll be too old to get by on a jumpshot and whatever athletic ability he has, and he'll be too lazy to put in the work required to keep up with younger players. Also, he is already beginning to have foot problems, and for big men, that's usually a very bad sign, especially when you're only 27 or whatever. Think Rik Smits.

    Also, if you're just wanting a guy who can pull the Center away from the basket, Bender can hit those shots, assuming he ever gets healthy. Also, I really think they hoped that Foster might have developed some sort of consistent jumpshot by now. Regardless, there are guys on this team that can hit the high-post jumper. In fact, Harrison has a sweet touch with the ball. I'd be surprised if he isn't able to hit that shot within a year or two.
    I just don't get. I really don't. The first half of your post you're talking about how you're glad we didn't sign Brad because he gets injured and is overpaid. Then you say the remedy is Bender?
    All in for DG33

  4. #54
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure, JO and Tinsley are injured right now, but it's not due to having a pulled goin or a foot sprain that could have been prevented due to better conditioning. Both of theirs, both years, were legitimate injuries that were unpreventable. Brad, on the other hand, gets no love from me until he drops about 10 lbs and puts on some muscle. I'm happy we didn't match Sacto's offer, because I blanch at paying a 30+ year old guy 7 figures when he can't get motivated to condition himself during the off-season. He's getting by as it is. He's going to be a boat anchor by the time that contract is over, because he'll be too old to get by on a jumpshot and whatever athletic ability he has, and he'll be too lazy to put in the work required to keep up with younger players. Also, he is already beginning to have foot problems, and for big men, that's usually a very bad sign, especially when you're only 27 or whatever. Think Rik Smits.

    Also, if you're just wanting a guy who can pull the Center away from the basket, Bender can hit those shots, assuming he ever gets healthy. Also, I really think they hoped that Foster might have developed some sort of consistent jumpshot by now. Regardless, there are guys on this team that can hit the high-post jumper. In fact, Harrison has a sweet touch with the ball. I'd be surprised if he isn't able to hit that shot within a year or two.
    No team is guarding Bender with their center.

  5. #55
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was gonna respond to your post Anthem, but you easily decided with authority that all my points were "non-issues" or "stretching too far" or you could easily "prove me wrong." On top of all that I guess my post wasn't that good, thanks for pointing that out by the way. So I guess there is no reason to respond, I've lost, that sucks.
    Hey, at least you can admit when you're wrong. That's more than I can do.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  6. #56
    Member Alabama-Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lake Guntersville, Alabama
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Comparrisons mean nothing in the context in which you are saying them. However if you & I were in the same car & were injured thus requireing your back & my knee surgery then there is the context to which to use it.

    Yes, you could say we both got hurt in the same car wreck but how could you compare our recovery time since one was a knee and one was a back injury.

    Comparisons may be a pet peeve of yours but we use them every day for many things. If your picking a piece of fruit do you look to see if one has a soft mushy part or do you take the first one you pick up?

    If I pick up an apple and it has a mushy spot, I will get another one. Then if someone tell me " It's a good thing I didn't get a pear because it had a mushy spot also". My question is "Who cares, I didn't want a pear".

    When we are comparing Brad it is not because we just want to, it's because the Pacers made comparisons & decided that Brad was not worth keeping.

    I have no real problem with that logic, I strongly disagree with it, but I understand it.

    Do you think Pacers Management said " Brad has been injuried alot but so has JO and Tinsley, so lets get rid of all three of them".

    However it is our fan base on here who use the injury excuse that, IMO, is just unfair & in some cases just ways of justifying whatever Lord Donnie does. You know he can do no wrong don't you? To some people that is the way it is.

    Well, I am not one of those people. Donnie has done several good things as well as several not so good things. You must realize most posters opinions change like the Indiana weather. Which ever way the wind is blowing is what their opinion is. There are several hardcore posters, and you are included, that I have a great deal of respect for and read their posts for the information.

    Others have a strong belief that Brad had problems, I disagree with them but I respect thier thoughts on the matter. Others just down any player who was ever here.

    I think you will find I seldom ever bad-mouth any of the Pacers. That holds true for most pro athletes. Having been a decent athlete, I know what it takes to succeed and most people do not have a clue thereby they try to makeup for their lack of skills by trying to bring others down to their level. Pitiful

    Look no further than Al Harrington for this.
    I would really like to sit down and talk with you and a few select posters sometime as I think it would be very, very enjoyable. If I can make a Forum Party sometime, maybe we can have a long discussion.

    I will be looking forward to such a meeting.

    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

  7. #57

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    This thread has ventured off into hair-splitting country...but I just wanted to chip in my two cents.

    I like Brad Miller very much, and I would love to have him on the team. He isn't perfect, for many reasons listed above, but the good far outweighs the bad IMO.

    It is very hard to say that Brad Miller is overpaid. The market bears what it bears, and 7 footers who can shoot and bring effort on both ends bring a premium in this league. I don't think he has crashed statistically, or decreased in productivity (minus injuries), such as a guy like Croshere, so I don't think he is overpaid.

    The Pacers were just too hamstrung financiall to pay him what he was worth at the end of his contract. In hindsight we should have locked him up earlier, and we probably locked in some of the wrong people. Unfortunately GM's don't have crystal balls. You win some and you lose some, and IMO, he was definitely a huge loss for us.

    Guys like him are hard to replace...that is why they get paid so much.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

  8. #58

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uh, what injury - exactly - do you think Tinsley HAS???
    Ligament damage, which is what he has said a few times, had you been listening.

  9. #59

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't get. I really don't. The first half of your post you're talking about how you're glad we didn't sign Brad because he gets injured and is overpaid. Then you say the remedy is Bender?

    We signed Bender as a 22 year old with a ton of potential and, at the time, a rash of injuries, but not a major problem with them. Brad was something like 26 or 27, had had a long, long history of not finishing the season strong, foot problems, and an indifference to off-season conditioning.

    Essentially, what I'm saying is if you're wanting a big guy who can shoot, ther e are cheaper, healthier options than Brad Miller. If you want to look on our own team, a healthy Croshere or Bender could fill that role.

    To the guy who said no Center would ever be put on Bender: That's fine. Take Detroit for example, since we're talking about how much we miss Brad Miller. They then put Rasheed on Bender, leaving Big Ben to guard JO? We've seen how much easier JO has it against Ben as compared to Rasheed. So esentially, you have proven my point for me, thanks.

  10. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    8,898

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ligament damage, which is what he has said a few times, had you been listening.
    Wow - you're just really stupid aren't you - not just a little bit.

    But don't take my word for it - read it here: http://www.fromallangles.com/glossar...rms/sprain.htm

    In case you couldn't figure that out, here's the full text:

    Sprain
    An injury to the ligament

    Or if you prefer the long definition:
    a painful injury to a joint caused by a sudden wrenching of its ligaments
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  11. #61
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    I'm sure you had to call him stupid to make that point...

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    8,898

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure you had to call him stupid to make that point...
    After three posts where he displayed total cluelessness?

    Apparently so - he wasn't figuring it out when I was polite - in fact he decided to come back with a wise-*** comment.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  13. #63
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    This whole thread is stupid. Why not just pin it to the top so we don't have to have a new one every other friggin month.

  14. #64
    ThirtyOneAndOnlyFX
    Guest

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    all right i'll read through all this later, but first off:

    "Plus, he'd have gone into the stands. "

    hell yes he would've

    and i'm glad to have brad in sacto... when he left indy for sac, it was nice, cause from one fave team to another.

  15. #65

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow - you're just really stupid aren't you - not just a little bit.

    But don't take my word for it - read it here: http://www.fromallangles.com/glossar...rms/sprain.htm

    In case you couldn't figure that out, here's the full text:

    Sprain
    An injury to the ligament

    Or if you prefer the long definition:
    a painful injury to a joint caused by a sudden wrenching of its ligaments
    I'm talking about a tear, but whatever, bro. You obviously think you're right, so I'll let it be. The FACT is that Brad Miller has been CRAP in virtually every postseason he's played in, due to injuries and/or fatigue. He had a good run this year, but 15 and 9 isn't 7 figures stats, is it? Also, he's peaked. That's the best you're ever going to get from B. Miller. For the record, those are great stats for a Center you're paying 7 mil a year. But how about when he's broken down 4-5 years from now, and you've gotta watch that 12 million hanging over his head while younger, more athletic centers expose him by driving past him for a layup or dunk. How will 12 and 3, 50 games per season look at 12 million? I could care less if he's worth it now. I never want a boat anchor on the team, be it Croshere or Bender or Brad "Old Milwaulkee" Miller. Unfortunately we're stuck with the former players. I'm just glad we're not tied down with the latter.

  16. #66
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We signed Bender as a 22 year old.
    Unless he went to high school for 8 years I think he was 18 when we signed him.

    If I'm wrong, please don't call me stupid. I prefer misinformed.

  17. #67
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless he went to high school for 8 years I think he was 18 when we signed him.

    If I'm wrong, please don't call me stupid. I prefer misinformed.
    I think he means the second contract... after the 4-year rookie contract.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  18. #68
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he means the second contract... after the 4-year rookie contract.
    Oh. I went back and re-read his post and you're proably right.

    Now that I have re-read his post: To me JB's rash of injuries were just as significant or as insignificant as what happened to Brad. No amount of conditioning is going to prevent what happens to your foot when Shaq steps on it.

    Don't get me wrong, I like Brad, but can we please obsess about something else.

  19. #69

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    I personally think we should be more upset about losing Primoz than B. Miller.

  20. #70
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,930

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I personally think we should be more upset about losing Primoz than B. Miller.


    Damn man, I'm having a hard enough time this week, and you got to bring up Peanut Butter.

    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  21. #71
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,753

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless he went to high school for 8 years I think he was 18 when we signed him.

    If I'm wrong, please don't call me stupid. I prefer misinformed.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  22. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    bump!

    Brad Miller will have long retired, and we will be still talking about him on this forum.

    My two cents, I thing we would have won the whole thing last year if we had Brad on that team. He would not have been too hard to trade this year.

  23. #73
    Member Alabama-Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lake Guntersville, Alabama
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whats wrong with going to HS for 8 years?

    eak:

    Which grade ??????

    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

  24. #74
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,781

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which grade ??????

    Isn't that 8th grade in Alabama? The grade levels there tell you how long it takes to finish each one, right?

  25. #75
    Member Alabama-Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lake Guntersville, Alabama
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't that 8th grade in Alabama? The grade levels there tell you how long it takes to finish each one, right?
    I don't think so as it took me 5 years on the 3rd grade and I never finished the 5th but since I was borned and raised in Indiana, I guess I might not be the one to ask.

    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •