Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76

Thread: Brad Miller

  1. #26
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,060

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    I think Brad would have grabbed the dustpan much earlier than Jamaal did

  2. #27
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,286

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Brad would have grabbed the dustpan much earlier than Jamaal did


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  3. #28
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,529

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Brad were an Apollo 11 astronaut, would he have been the first man on the moon or orbiting it in the lunar module?
    Neither... He would've been traded before launch....

    -Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  4. #29
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    14,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Brad would have grabbed the dustpan much earlier than Jamaal did

    Or, he coulda stood back out of harms way and shot a good wad of spit up at the fans. Nothing like tobbaco spit to break up a party.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  5. #30
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    He was the perfect complement to JO's low post game. He pulled the center out to the free throw line or he'd bury 17'ers all night. That let JO go one on one against FOUR'S. That's a dominant mismatch.
    It was a HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGE mistake to lose him. ANd they know it. But we've moved on and built in other directions.
    Now we'll hope that Hulk becomes the post guy and Jermaine moves more mid range outside. But against 4's out there he has no advantage.....

  6. #31
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    There you go, having to bring in legit basketball discussion to a perfectly derailed post.

    However everything you said is 100% true.
    All in for DG33

  7. #32
    Member Alabama-Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lake Guntersville, Alabama
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because certain member of this board have been known to be hypocritical and homerish. If Jeff Foster was traded today their would be a segment who next year would be telling how limited Foster was on offense and that he couldn't guard a motivated Bryant Reeves. Just like when Brad left all of the sudden he was now a horrible defender.




    And what has that got to do with Austin Corshere ??

    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

  8. #33
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was the perfect complement to JO's low post game. He pulled the center out to the free throw line or he'd bury 17'ers all night. That let JO go one on one against FOUR'S. That's a dominant mismatch.
    It was a HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGE mistake to lose him. ANd they know it. But we've moved on and built in other directions.
    Now we'll hope that Hulk becomes the post guy and Jermaine moves more mid range outside. But against 4's out there he has no advantage.....
    When Brad can make it through an entire season without breaking down and be a contributing factor when it matters most, then you might be able to argue it was a mistake. Until then, it was unequivocally the right decision.

    Dammit! I was going to stay out of this or keep it light with astronaut jokes.

  9. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    8,898

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Well, permit me to offer you a solution.

    Kurt Thomas.

    Yes - THAT Kurt Thomas. Old Crazy Eyes himself.

    Can shoot from 18 feet. Great post defender. Solid rebounder. Gets flagrant fouls - pretty decent Shaq-defense.

    And if he comes to Indiana maybe his eyes will even line up with each other.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  10. #35
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, permit me to offer you a solution.

    Kurt Thomas.

    Yes - THAT Kurt Thomas. Old Crazy Eyes himself.

    Can shoot from 18 feet. Great post defender. Solid rebounder. Gets flagrant fouls - pretty decent Shaq-defense.

    And if he comes to Indiana maybe his eyes will even line up with each other.
    Croshere, Bender, and Pollard for Kurt Thomas, Tim Thomas, and your pick. You know you want to.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #36
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, permit me to offer you a solution.

    Kurt Thomas.

    Yes - THAT Kurt Thomas. Old Crazy Eyes himself.

    Can shoot from 18 feet. Great post defender. Solid rebounder. Gets flagrant fouls - pretty decent Shaq-defense.

    And if he comes to Indiana maybe his eyes will even line up with each other.
    I'd take Kurt Thomas in a heartbeat.
    All in for DG33

  12. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    8,898

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd take Kurt Thomas in a heartbeat.
    If we were gonna be in contention at any time in the next three years I'd be first in the drive to keep him. He's the lunch-pail kind of guy, like Dale Davis, Horace Grant, etc., every team needs.

    We won't be. Might as well deal him for something - not sure what Indy has that I'd want though.

    Same holds true for a bunch of other teams - we should be able to deal him to a contender for some decent young talent.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  13. #38
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,753

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    I take it you are implying Kurt Thomas for Ron Artest? That's a disgusting proposition. I like KT, but ehm I rather take the risk with Ron .

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  14. #39
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And what has that got to do with Austin Corshere ??

    There is a good chance I'm not understanding what you're meaning here, but if your point was to ask how anything I said about comparing Brad means anything to our players then I'll answer.

    It is hypocritical to judge an opposing player's weakness while defending the same weakness of a player on your team. Which I believe for every supposed weakness that is listed for Brad, although that list seems to keep on growing despite his success, can be compared to one of our players yet the same people who would defend the Pacer would critique Brad.

    Brad is too injury prone= Jamaal, Jermaine,

    Brad is overpayed = , Austin, Jermaine (thats right I said it)

    Brad is lazy = Jamaal, David Harrison (possibly)

    Brad can't play defense= Reggie Miller

    Brad is undersized = Fred Jones

    Brad is not athletic = Anthony Johnson, Scot Pollard, Reggie Miller

    However, we don't need a Brad Miller debate. The line in the sand has been drawn and everyone is on their respective sides. No one is switching either.
    All in for DG33

  15. #40
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,286

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not picking on you Peck but why do so many posters argue by comparison. This was a Brad Miller thread, redundant that it may be, so why are we talking about JO and JT.

    Can we not criticise someone without introducing others for comparison. What you said about JO and JT is true but what was said about Brad was true.

    Now, what am I saying ? Hell, I don't know either but the constant comparison thing just bothers me.

    Rant over and now back to your previously scheduled program.


    Pretty simple answer to this really. Just look at Bulletproof's answer just above here. He is saying that because Brad breaks down or is injured by the time the playoffs run around that it is the reason to make the trade. He is listing this as the # 1 reason to make the trade in the post he just made. He didn't mention salary, ability, etc. He just mentioned injury's.

    It's called a standard. If you have a standard you are using to judge something then it has to be used to judge other things as well, even if they are not judged the same.

    So hence, when people say "Brad always breaks down by the playoffs" I feel the need to ask why is he the only one who is held to this standard? Why do we not ask the same of Jamaal or for that matter why do we not ask the same of Jermaine?

    If you are using the standard that Brad is injured all of the time why the heck does it not apply to Jamaal, Jermaine & for God's sake Jon Bender?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  16. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    8,898

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I take it you are implying Kurt Thomas for Ron Artest? That's a disgusting proposition. I like KT, but ehm I rather take the risk with Ron .

    Regards,

    Mourning
    Don't want Ron.

    His potential negatives are less for us than some because we suck. It's not like he'd, say, turn a Championship contender into an also-ran that gets eliminated in the 2nd rd of the playoffs. But what's the benefit? So we can go from 33 to 39 wins and he can be such a wonderful example to our young players?

    Sorry. Keep him.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  17. #42
    Harmonica
    Guest

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So hence, when people say "Brad always breaks down by the playoffs" I feel the need to ask why is he the only one who is held to this standard?
    Do people "say" that, are they making it up, or does it actually happen?

  18. #43
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Honestly, I never hear that outside of this forum.

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  19. #44
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,720

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Which I believe for every supposed weakness that is listed for Brad, although that list seems to keep on growing despite his success, can be compared to one of our players yet the same people who would defend the Pacer would critique Brad.
    David, this was not one of your better posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brad is too injury prone= Jamaal, Jermaine,
    The complaint is that he doesn't work on his conditioning over the summer. Jermaine and Jamaal both do. Non-issue.
    Brad is overpayed = , Austin, Jermaine (thats I said it)
    I actually didn't think Brad's contract was out of line, but I don't see what you're trying to prove here. You think Austin gets a pass for being overpaid? His salary drives everybody on the board crazy except your father. And if Jermaine's not worth the max, then very few players in the league are. And he'd be playing next to Tim Duncan right now, because the Spurs sure thought he was. Even Brad said the amount of money Sacto paid was beyond belief.
    Brad is lazy = Jamaal, David Harrison (possibly)
    Neither of those guys are lazy. You're stretching way to far to try to prove your point. I'll pretend you didn't say this, but if you want to try to defend this point I'd be glad to prove you wrong.
    Brad can't play defense= Reggie Miller
    Reggie's never been given a pass for playing poor defense. Historically, it's been one of the main complaints against the guy. I actually don't think Brad's defense is that bad against post players, but the man can't move his feet or jump to save his life. Even he admits that.
    Brad is undersized = Fred Jones
    I read every thread on this forum. I've never heard anyone say this. He's 7 feet tall, that's not undersized. Freddy, however, is undersized. Because of that, he'll have a hard time becoming a permanent starter for any team, despite his athletic abilities and long wingspan.
    Brad is not athletic = Anthony Johnson, Scot Pollard, Reggie Miller.
    Again, I've never seen anyone complain that Brad wasn't athletic. In fact, it's usually it's a point of pride for the people that back him. "He's not athletic, but he gets it done!"

    You pushed way to hard to try to make this point.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  20. #45
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,286

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do people "say" that, are they making it up, or does it actually happen?
    I don't know. How many games in the playoffs did he play? How many did Bender play?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  21. #46
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    We're a great forum, but we're not immune to some homerism. Which is what drives the Brad Miller debate IMO.
    All in for DG33

  22. #47
    Member Alabama-Redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lake Guntersville, Alabama
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty simple answer to this really. Just look at Bulletproof's answer just above here. He is saying that because Brad breaks down or is injured by the time the playoffs run around that it is the reason to make the trade. He is listing this as the # 1 reason to make the trade in the post he just made. He didn't mention salary, ability, etc. He just mentioned injury's.

    It's called a standard. If you have a standard you are using to judge something then it has to be used to judge other things as well, even if they are not judged the same.

    So hence, when people say "Brad always breaks down by the playoffs" I feel the need to ask why is he the only one who is held to this standard? Why do we not ask the same of Jamaal or for that matter why do we not ask the same of Jermaine?

    If you are using the standard that Brad is injured all of the time why the heck does it not apply to Jamaal, Jermaine & for God's sake Jon Bender?

    It does apply. There are many, many threads about Bender's health, about JT's health and JO's health.

    Each individual's case is different and in no way are they related to each other.

    I have had back surgery. How does that compare to your knee surgery ??

    Comparisons has always been another one of my pet-peeves.

    If I tell someone I am tired and they answer back "Well, I have been up for 26 hours". What has that got to do with my being tired.

    Nothing personal, just ranting.

    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

  23. #48
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    I was gonna respond to your post Anthem, but you easily decided with authority that all my points were "non-issues" or "stretching too far" or you could easily "prove me wrong." On top of all that I guess my post wasn't that good, thanks for pointing that out by the way. So I guess there is no reason to respond, I've lost, that sucks.
    All in for DG33

  24. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,172

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Brad were an Apollo 11 astronaut, would he have been the first man on the moon or orbiting it in the lunar module?
    2nd man on the moon. Fellow Purdue grad Neil Armstrong would make sure the other Boiler got to have some fun.

  25. #50

    Default Re: Brad Miller

    Sure, JO and Tinsley are injured right now, but it's not due to having a pulled goin or a foot sprain that could have been prevented due to better conditioning. Both of theirs, both years, were legitimate injuries that were unpreventable. Brad, on the other hand, gets no love from me until he drops about 10 lbs and puts on some muscle. I'm happy we didn't match Sacto's offer, because I blanch at paying a 30+ year old guy 7 figures when he can't get motivated to condition himself during the off-season. He's getting by as it is. He's going to be a boat anchor by the time that contract is over, because he'll be too old to get by on a jumpshot and whatever athletic ability he has, and he'll be too lazy to put in the work required to keep up with younger players. Also, he is already beginning to have foot problems, and for big men, that's usually a very bad sign, especially when you're only 27 or whatever. Think Rik Smits.

    Also, if you're just wanting a guy who can pull the Center away from the basket, Bender can hit those shots, assuming he ever gets healthy. Also, I really think they hoped that Foster might have developed some sort of consistent jumpshot by now. Regardless, there are guys on this team that can hit the high-post jumper. In fact, Harrison has a sweet touch with the ball. I'd be surprised if he isn't able to hit that shot within a year or two.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •