Thread: Mark Montieth: Pacers Q&A

Default Re: Mark Montieth: Pacers Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question: Is there any thought to hiring a coach specifically for Jermaine O'Neal, similar to Houston hiring Ewing for Yao Ming? J.O. is a good player, but it seems to me that when he makes his move he puts his head down and that's it. I think teams are defending him much better now, realizing this and double- or triple-teaming him as he starts his move.

If you look at Shaq he'll begin his move and as other defenders drop down low, he passes the ball out in mid-stride. I think J.O. could benefit from someone teaching him things like this. (Mark from Indianapolis)

Answer: I don't believe the Pacers are planning to bring in a specific coach for O'Neal. He often works with Chuck Person after practice, and has plenty of other people around to offer instruction. The issue you bring up can't really be taught. It's a matter of instinct and court awareness.
    No wonder JO's been playing crappily. That's not a slam on Person, who's a great shooter. But Jermaine shouldn't be getting tips from a shooter. He should be getting tips from a post player.

Say what you want about Zeke, but at least he brought in good tutors for big men. Bunny's last line is flat-out stupid. Those are absolutely things that can be taught, and evidently nobody is teaching Jermaine.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

3ptmiller

Question: What does it mean when a team is "in the penalty" or "in the bonus," as stated by Mark Boyle when he broadcasts the games? Is there a recent good book about basketball that explains things like that, and like posts and screens? (Steve from Bedford, Ind.)
    Did this guy just started watching basketball?

3ptmiller

If you look at Shaq he'll begin his move and as other defenders drop down low, he passes the ball out in mid-stride. I think J.O. could benefit from someone teaching him things like this. (Mark from Indianapolis)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    No wonder JO's been playing crappily. That's not a slam on Person, who's a great shooter. But Jermaine shouldn't be getting tips from a shooter. He should be getting tips from a post player.

Say what you want about Zeke, but at least he brought in good tutors for big men. Bunny's last line is flat-out stupid. Those are absolutely things that can be taught, and evidently nobody is teaching Jermaine.
    If Mike leaves, I'd pay out of my own pocket if Mark Aguirre came back. The effect on Harrison alone would be monumental.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    If Mike leaves, I'd pay out of my own pocket if Mark Aguirre came back. The effect on Harrison alone would be monumental.
    Since when did you become rich and not tell the family?

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    Since when did you become rich and not tell the family?
    I didn't say I'd pay for all of it. I've got $99 in my pocket. And a bunch of pennies in my car. That should be enough.

Btw,

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

My favorite part was when he took time to explain what 'in the penalty' means.

In 49 states it's just basketball... In Indiana we have Montieth explaining what 'in the penalty' means
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in CT

In 49 states it's just basketball... In Indiana we have Montieth explaining what 'in the penalty' means
    I'm cutting him slack because it could be a question from a small kid and besides that the question was from Bedford, IN which could explain a lot....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chuck wasn't great in the post, but he was - at worst - capable and probably above-average for a 6'8" guy that couldn't dunk.

Until Dick(head) Versace told him all was allowed to do was stand out at the three-point line and shoot jumpers (and then bellyache that Chuck was never in position to get offensive rebounds... duh... what an idiot.)

In fact, Bo Hill used Chuck at PF quite a bit for that Spurs team that went to the WC Finals.

Chuck's 2-pt FG% was generally outstanding, but his coaches felt it was best if he was a long-range bomber.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in CT

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Chuck wasn't great in the post, but he was - at worst - capable and probably above-average for a 6'8" guy that couldn't dunk.
    Now there's a ringing endorsement for a big guy's coach if I ever saw one.

Bring back Aguire!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Anything can be taught.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

When I was really young, I would listen to Pacers games on my litle transistor radio. This was back in the Bob Lamey days

Whenever Bob would say that is the 5th team foul. I always thought he was saying the 15 foul.

For a few years I thought it was Ricky Silvers not Ricky Sobers. And I thought Mike Banton, was the guys last name, did not realize Mike was his first name

When I played basketball for the first time in 1st grade and they told me to play the forward position, I had no idea what position that was, in fact I had no idea there were positions.

Now there's a ringing endorsement for a big guy's coach if I ever saw one.

Bring back Aguire!
    Wait a minute! He's OUUURRRSSSS!!!!

We are regaled on an almost daily basis with the wonderful job he's doing with our big men - how they're learning so much, they'll all be the next Patrick Ewing, how great they are in practice, how they'll make the world forget about Hakeem, Shaq and every other big man who ever played.

Of course none of them ever produce for squat in games ...

On second thought - have at him. We'll take our chances when Herb hires PE as an assistant.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire