Thread: NBA/Union talks off...

Default NBA/Union talks off...

Just saw this on ESPN.

Heres the link.

And Bird said "A year isnt too long to wait". (when talking about artest)

Might have to wait a bit longer if the NBA doesnt get this sorted out.

heres a link

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2063303

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA/Union talks off...

The players union will never allow themselves to miss games. They learned that lesson in 1999. Thats money they can't earn back.

However, it means a lot of young draftees are going to suffer from the lack of summer league.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

However, it means a lot of young draftees are going to suffer from the lack of summer league.

Exactly.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The players union will never allow themselves to miss games. They learned that lesson in 1999. Thats money they can't earn back.

So, you don't think there will be a lockout? I sure hope not.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerfan2425
    So, you don't think there will be a lockout? I sure hope not.

Oh, I think there will be a lockout. I just don't think it will result in any cancelled games.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I hope that the Player's Union tries to oust the little fella (Stern).

Other than that, I don't care about anything else. Except if he stays taking his autonomous power away.

Tim

Kstat is right, unless Stern is wanting something unreasonable, the Union will not want to miss a paycheck.

Stern did something kinda stupid though, the age limit thing, making it so public has really increased its value. With its increased value, its easier for Hunter and the Union reps to tell the players its worth taking a harder line in giving Stern the age limit in exchange for something more significant.

I just can't see the Union giving in on the age limit, shorter contracts, taxes and cap issues without getting something significant back. Its probably why the talks have stalled.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Stern did something kinda stupid though, the age limit thing, making it so public has really increased its value. With its increased value, its easier for Hunter and the Union reps to tell the players its worth taking a harder line in giving Stern the age limit in exchange for something more significant.

I just can't see the Union giving in on the age limit, shorter contracts, taxes and cap issues without getting something significant back. Its probably why the talks have stalled.
    Actually the little ***** is very, very smart. Put as much on the table and then they throw that away for something they really care about. It's like when someone is buying a house and they make an offer on the house and they say the washer and dryer and refridgerator stay. They don't give a crap about those, it's just something to give up in a counter offer. Not that he is using this for that purpose but he could give in to something that doesn't matter that the Players Union wants to get what he wants. $tern is very, very smart. He's a doggone attorney and he knows how to negotiate as well as argue his points. But I hope he is gone or is stripped of some of his authority in the new agreement, whenever that is reached.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So far, I really haven't heard what the players are seeking.

The NBA supposedly wants to continue some form of compensation limits, have an age limit and reduce contract lengths.

I believe that owners and players alike want decisions regarding suspensions being made by a larger body of representation than just Stern. And supposedly they want a better defined avenue of appeal.

But what else does each side want?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    So far, I really haven't heard what the players are seeking.

The NBA supposedly wants to continue some form of compensation limits, have an age limit and reduce contract lengths.

I believe that owners and players alike want decisions regarding suspensions being made by a larger body of representation than just Stern. And supposedly they want a better defined avenue of appeal.

But what else does each side want?
    I really haven't much, if anything, about suspensions being any sort of deal breaker in these negotiations. I'm sure it's being negotiated, but it's probably not even in the top 10 issues on the table.

The biggest issue for the players, from what I've read, is escrow. NBA players give 10% of their salaries to an account, and if salaries are above a certain percentage of Basketball Related Income, that account goes to the owners. The players want this, obviously, to end.

ImCrazyB

There wont be any missed games next season. Just alot of dead summer leagues...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    I really haven't much, if anything, about suspensions being any sort of deal breaker in these negotiations. I'm sure it's being negotiated, but it's probably not even in the top 10 issues on the table.

The biggest issue for the players, from what I've read, is escrow. NBA players give 10% of their salaries to an account, and if salaries are above a certain percentage of Basketball Related Income, that account goes to the owners. The players want this, obviously, to end.
    What the heck? I'm all for escrow.

If ticket prices go above a certain threshhold, I think the 10% should go to the fans. What do you think?