Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 249

Thread: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

  1. #201
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Woj apparently discussed this on podcast today.

    If you're the Lakers and it helps you get Westbrook and PG, you do it. You already have Ingram, Russel, Clarkson and Randke! How would this move be absurd??
    No, you don't. You wait until next summer and if that's still the case, then you shed some young players and attach future picks to guys then, not a year early when a lot can change.

  2. #202
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,965

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, you don't. You wait until next summer and if that's still the case, then you shed some young players and attach future picks to guys then, not a year early when a lot can change.
    The thing is, maybe they know now. But that's besides the point. Again, Woj said this. He said without that pick nobody is taking those contracts.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  4. #203
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing is, maybe they know now. But that's besides the point. Again, Woj said this. He said without that pick nobody is taking those contracts.
    I don't buy that. In the history of bad contracts, I can't ever remember the price of shedding them being a lottery pick, let alone a top 2 pick.

  5. #204
    --------- freddielewis14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    7,965

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't buy that. In the history of bad contracts, I can't ever remember the price of shedding them being a lottery pick, let alone a top 2 pick.
    “If they want to get off Luol Deng’s contract or Mozgov – Mozgov is the more likely deal – let’s say a team like Brooklyn who has lots of cap space and needs picks; Brooklyn will be out there on the market looking at teams who have a bad contract they want to get off but only if they attach a good young player or a draft pick. If LA feels they can get in there and get Paul George next year, having the pick maybe allows them to get contracts off. Because otherwise, no one’s taking Mozgov or Deng’s deals off of you.”

    Woj also added that he believes teams are not willing to give up much to trade for George because they’re not sure they can keep the star in free agency. Of course, that plays in the Lakers’ favor, potentially allowing them to stay patient this year and making a run at the LA-native next July.

    https://lakersoutsiders.com/2017/05/...e-paul-george/

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:


  7. #205
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    “If they want to get off Luol Deng’s contract or Mozgov – Mozgov is the more likely deal – let’s say a team like Brooklyn who has lots of cap space and needs picks; Brooklyn will be out there on the market looking at teams who have a bad contract they want to get off but only if they attach a good young player or a draft pick. If LA feels they can get in there and get Paul George next year, having the pick maybe allows them to get contracts off. Because otherwise, no one’s taking Mozgov or Deng’s deals off of you.”

    Woj also added that he believes teams are not willing to give up much to trade for George because they’re not sure they can keep the star in free agency. Of course, that plays in the Lakers’ favor, potentially allowing them to stay patient this year and making a run at the LA-native next July.

    https://lakersoutsiders.com/2017/05/...e-paul-george/
    I'm not denying Woj said that, I just disagree with his assessment.

  8. #206

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    I think the Boston vs Cavs series is the key here. If Boston gets crushed, then they have to decide if they are one piece away or not ( and i think they are ). Then LA has to decide that also about Boston and make a decision to go for it now or wait til PG is a FA.

  9. #207

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    And if LA were to give the Pacers the 3rd pick and a few other players, i'm pretty confident the Pacers will get the best player in the draft. I think Josh Jackson is the best player in this draft.

  10. #208
    let's do better Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,759

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if LA were to give the Pacers the 3rd pick and a few other players, i'm pretty confident the Pacers will get the best player in the draft. I think Josh Jackson is the best player in this draft.
    I too watched him punk the **** outta us

  11. #209
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    970

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't buy that. In the history of bad contracts, I can't ever remember the price of shedding them being a lottery pick, let alone a top 2 pick.
    Well the Sixers just got the right to swap up to 3rd for taking on Thompson and Landry's contracts. They also still have an unprotected first from the Kings coming their way in 2019 that will probably be in the lottery from the same deal. To your point though, that deal was to clear space far too early for a big fish they never signed. Clippers also traded the 1st overall pick (Kyrie Irving) for the Cavs to take on Baron Davis who they then promptly amnestied.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:


  13. #210
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well the Sixers just got the right to swap up to 3rd for taking on Thompson and Landry's contracts. They also still have an unprotected first from the Kings coming their way in 2019 that will probably be in the lottery from the same deal. To your point though, that deal was to clear space far too early for a big fish they never signed. Clippers also traded the 1st overall pick (Kyrie Irving) for the Cavs to take on Baron Davis who they then promptly amnestied.
    Wasn't the pick swap or one of the firsts from the Nik Stauskas deal? I can't remember all the specifics of bad Kings deals.

    The Baron Davis trade, if anything, should be pointed to as the reason for not doing things like that. It also isn't totally accurate--they just forgot (or opted not to) add any protection to that pick and it defied the odds and won the lottery.

  14. #211
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    970

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn't the pick swap or one of the firsts from the Nik Stauskas deal? I can't remember all the specifics of bad Kings deals.

    The Baron Davis trade, if anything, should be pointed to as the reason for not doing things like that. It also isn't totally accurate--they just forgot (or opted not to) add any protection to that pick and it defied the odds and won the lottery.
    Yeah, the Sixers got Sauce, the right to 2 pick swaps, and the 2019 unprotected for eating contracts they don't even have anymore. I agree with you though, I'm not trading picks or stretching guys for space until I have a verbal commitment from the guy I want.

    And the Baron / Kyrie trade really was more about lack of foresight and wild luck, but at the end of the day it was Kyrie for cap space. Ugh.
    Last edited by Wage; 05-17-2017 at 02:07 AM.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:


  16. #212

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I too watched him punk the **** outta us
    We had one of the biggest and maybe one of the best frontlines in the country and his athleticism dominated them. I mean, he was brilliant in that game. He pulled a rebound at one point that was so far behind his head it looked like the Odell Beckham catch and he had like 3 Boilers around him. He's a legit superstar imo. I really really love Josh Jackson.

  17. #213

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    I know this sounds crazy, but i think if Jackson keeps his head straight, he's potentially a late blooming, little bit lesser Lebron ( could be an overstatement, but i think the world of this guy. ) and at worst, a Jimmy Butler or Blake Griffin.

  18. #214
    let's do better Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23,759

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this sounds crazy, but i think if Jackson keeps his head straight, he's potentially a late blooming, little bit lesser Lebron ( could be an overstatement, but i think the world of this guy. ) and at worst, a Jimmy Butler or Blake Griffin.
    you drunk?

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  20. #215
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh please a player is as loyal to a team as the team is to them more so really since a player can dump you at any time and get the fans to agree rather than vice versa.

    It worked out that Duncan spent his entire career with the Spurs he went to the playoffs every year and won 5 titles who would leave that?

    Kobe? Same thing

    Dirk? Went through more ups and downs but still stuck it out.

    It worked out for them to spend their entire careers with the team and the team still wanted them.

    Usually it doesn't work like that it ends up like:

    Paul Pierce spent most of his career as a Celtic but they didn't want him anymore despite being the franchise player for years and carrying the Celtics as long as he did.

    Wade/Heat etc.

    Malone even left to go to the Lakers at the end.

    There's no real loyalty in professional sports and its ridiculous to hold players to these standards when teams and fans don't do it themselves.

    None of that disputes the fact that modern stars are more likely to leave their teams. I never said they were right or wrong when doing it.

    Yes, Malone as a 40 year old fossil went to the Lakers. My point with him was that he played all of his relevant years with Utah.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  22. #216
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,030

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    A lot of guys from the 90's-early 2000's era went to other teams. Hell, Patrick Ewing played for the Sonics and the Magic and Hakeem played for the Raptors. In most cases, the were essentially player-coaches and Ewing probably leveraged his time in Orlando to become part of the organization after he retired. That's quite different from a prime Durant going to the Warriors, that's basically equivalent to Ewing joining the Bulls in 1991.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  24. #217
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,030

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    I'll just say this about the Paul George situation - I would prefer that he stay and we build around him, I think he's got a foot out the door, but I'm glad Pritchard is handling this situation and not Bird.

    If the Pacers decide to ride out his contract it could get downright ugly for him in BLF next year because the rumor mill is going to keep churning and there may be a growing impression around the fan base that he's gone. Notice this wasn't the case with Durant in OKC because his representatives never leaked that he was seriously considering jumping to any other team and the conventional wisdom around the league was that he'd quietly re-sign. I am really displeased that Paul's representatives leaked that he would consider signing only with LA or Indy, tanking his value at the trade deadline for the Pacers. That really hurts the Pacers and it wouldn't surprise me if there is already significant tension between both sides.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  26. #218
    Member sav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    3,607

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    I think people are reading too much into the Paul George situation. From Paul's side it is pretty simple. He is not signing any contracts this summer. If the Pacers are contenders next season, he will re-sign with them. If they are not contenders, he will go to LA. The only thing that may throw a wrench into his decision would be if he was eligible for the super max, then he may re-sign with the Pacers even if they are not contenders.

    It is more difficult for the Pacers. They have to figure out if they think they can be contenders next season. If they think they can bring in enough help for Paul, they keep him. If not, they trade him.

    In my opinion, the reason Bird stepped down when he did, as opposed to waiting until his contract was up on July 1, was because he didn't think he could make the Pacers a contender. Pritchard is known for being able to make deals, so turning the team over to Pritchard was the best chance for us to make deals to become a contender. Also, Bird did not want to trade George. If Pritchard can't make us a contender, I don't think he will hesitate in trading George.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:


  28. #219
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this sounds crazy, but i think if Jackson keeps his head straight, he's potentially a late blooming, little bit lesser Lebron ( could be an overstatement, but i think the world of this guy. ) and at worst, a Jimmy Butler or Blake Griffin.
    So at worst a perennial all star, and at best a hair behind being a top 3 all time player? Quite a prospect lol.

  29. #220
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,873

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So at worst a perennial all star, and at best a hair behind being a top 3 all time player? Quite a prospect lol.

    And he'll either be a shooting guard or a power forward.



  30. #221
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    58
    Posts
    17,028

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a shame really. He believes we're jumping the gun for wanting to trade him this offseason, but he's the one undervaluing the "star" when it comes getting assets back for him.

    At minimum, someone was going to come off some first round draft pick(s) and 2-3 solid players.
    I don't see how understanding that there are essentially only two possible teams that would be willing to take PG without a guarantee that he will sign an extension with them - Boston and LA - is undervaluing PGs playing ability.

    LA doesn't need him this year, if all the people not me are correct and Paul already all but has his name on a Lakers contract. Why should they offer anything at all for him, especially things that will make them more attractive and more of a contender when Paul joins them? If they do anything at all it will end up being the "better than nothing" deal that often turns out worse than nothing because of what we get saddled with.

    Boston might be willing to offer more, but they will be the only ones in the race because LA won't feel they have to be. If all the people not me AREN'T correct and PG HASN'T already mentally committed to the Lakers, I think we're better off giving KP a chance to build around him than trading him for what Boston will offer. Since Boston will have only one year to convince PG to stay, they aren't giving up the draft pick that can net them somebody who can hit the ground running, nor are they giving up anyone needed to lead the team along with Paul. We won't be getting the opportunity to draft an impact player out of such a deal except by being bad enough to be in the running for a top 3 pick in 2017-2018 - and I'm willing to wait until 2018-2019 for that "strategy".
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  31. #222
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    10,367
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this sounds crazy, but i think if Jackson keeps his head straight, he's potentially a late blooming, little bit lesser Lebron ( could be an overstatement, but i think the world of this guy. ) and at worst, a Jimmy Butler or Blake Griffin.
    Or he could be MKG. Or Caron Butler.

    I don't see him any where near Lebron, KD, Kawhi level. I see him a better defender than Butler, and a streaky shot. I think he will be turnover prone like PG and he will need a a player better than him to really get what he could be. He is not a Pippen...more like a better defending and stronger Cedric Ceballos.

  32. #223
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    58
    Posts
    17,028

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know much about BillS, but besides the Pacers roster & a few household NBA names, I'm gonna guess he's got no clue.

    Pacers trade PG, Joe Young, Niang, Monta & Serpahin to LA for Ball or Fox, Ingram, Randle, Nance, Mbawa, Zubac.

    *BillS* - WHAT? Awful trade!! We traded our precious PG for those scrubs??!! And we gave up a high ceiling players /young assets in Joe & Niang? Monta too?? He was so great!! I'm canceling my season tickets!! Hm! ��
    And why not believing trading PG is the right move (or believing LA would give up that kind of package) makes me a guy who would freak out over losing Niang and Joe Young is waaaay beyond me.

    I simply have seen too many "This guy is the next franchise player!" guys go nowhere to think that there is any realm of certainty here.
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  33. #224
    Member ejwallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    882
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And why not believing trading PG is the right move (or believing LA would give up that kind of package) makes me a guy who would freak out over losing Niang and Joe Young is waaaay beyond me.

    I simply have seen too many "This guy is the next franchise player!" guys go nowhere to think that there is any realm of certainty here.
    Maybe we could trade PG for Anthony Bennett....I hear he could be available....

  34. #225
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    6,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George to appear on Jimmy Kimmel May 15th

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see how understanding that there are essentially only two possible teams that would be willing to take PG without a guarantee that he will sign an extension with them - Boston and LA - is undervaluing PGs playing ability.

    LA doesn't need him this year, if all the people not me are correct and Paul already all but has his name on a Lakers contract. Why should they offer anything at all for him, especially things that will make them more attractive and more of a contender when Paul joins them? If they do anything at all it will end up being the "better than nothing" deal that often turns out worse than nothing because of what we get saddled with.

    Boston might be willing to offer more, but they will be the only ones in the race because LA won't feel they have to be. If all the people not me AREN'T correct and PG HASN'T already mentally committed to the Lakers, I think we're better off giving KP a chance to build around him than trading him for what Boston will offer. Since Boston will have only one year to convince PG to stay, they aren't giving up the draft pick that can net them somebody who can hit the ground running, nor are they giving up anyone needed to lead the team along with Paul. We won't be getting the opportunity to draft an impact player out of such a deal except by being bad enough to be in the running for a top 3 pick in 2017-2018 - and I'm willing to wait until 2018-2019 for that "strategy".
    With Magic's stupid eye winking and drooling, he showed his hand and made it clear he wants Paul George to launch the Lakers franchise. Boston needs him to win Championships. You put Boston and LA against each other until someone blinks.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •