Thread: Mark Montieth Q&A: we were looking into trading for our "savior"!!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Mark Montieth Q&A: we were looking into trading for our "savior"!!

Question: What are the chances of the Pacers signing Ron Mercer now that the Spurs have placed him on waivers?

Answer: I asked Rick Carlisle about this before the game in New Orleans last Friday. He said he didn't think it was likely the Pacers would sign Mercer, or any of the other available players, but didn't rule out the possibility. I have to believe the Pacers will consider it. Larry Bird once volunteered to me that he likes Mercer's game, and I have it on good authority that the Pacers looked into trading for Mercer back in December.

However, to sign Mercer they would have to drop one of their 15 players with a guaranteed contract and take on more salary. Also, Fred Jones is playing better and it could be argued he's as valuable to the team as Mercer would be. He's not as experienced, and not as good a shooter. But Mercer is very streaky and Jones is improving. Also, Jonathan Bender has played well lately and although he's mostly a small forward he can play some shooting guard. The Pacers might determine that adding Mercer would not be worth the risk of altering their chemistry.

why didnt we do this????? He could have assured us of a guaranteed NBA title!!!

just kidding!!! Glad we didn't!!!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Default Re: Mark Montieth Q&A: we were looking into trading for our "savior&quo

How can anyone like a streaky-at-best player's game???

If a trade for Ron Mercer had gone down, the yellow faces would be Pacers fans and the horse, Larry Bird:

:

Default Re: Mark Montieth Q&A: we were looking into trading for our "savior&quo

I always seem to hear these awful trade ideas and rumors that Larry is trying to do, but to his credit he never actually pulls the trigger!