WHY is our offense so bad?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Okay, let's hear it:

Completely dead legs. No legs, no lift.

Detroit denies the easy paint shots.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

We cant shoot, we cant pass,our only low post option is getting shut down. There go my 3.

canyoufeelit

Honestly? Bad shot selection. That's on everyone, obviously JO being the worst but Reggie definitely a close second. No ball movement whatsoever. ISOs every possession. Most of the starters don't shoot a high % anyway. Poor fundamentals, not being able to create your own shot plus not being able to hit shots under defensive pressure. And last but not leist the Palace isn't a good 3 pt shooting gym like Staples Center.

3ptmiller

We just... sucked

JO is the centerpiece of this team and we try and run everything thru him. He's soft, injured, and overrated...and bogs down the offense and causes rebounding problems. He continually forces the issue rather than letting the game come to him.

No way is he ready to lead this team and I seriously question if he will ever get there. I base that on his dismal performance this year (not just the playoffs) and the fact he continues to think he can lead this team while he forces shots and refuses to play team ball.

And it is now clear to me that our MVP last year was Ron Artest. Hello UB...

What is this team's record the last two years without JO?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

bad shot selection and no effort. second quarter the pistons played arroyo and billups for about a 6-8 min stretch with reggie in the game. reggie has 4-5 inches on both, how many times did we post him up? zero.

No movement on offense. It's easy to guard someone who is standing still. I think that the dope has caught up with the guys on the team. Stay off the weed. Concentrate on basketball. Carlisle: Wake up. JO CANNOT play aginst Reshweed. Sit him. If they don't want to play hard against their buddies, then forget it. Sit your *** on the bench. I'm so sick and tired of this team it's pathetic. This IS why Reggie is retiring. A bunch of guys with no heart. Maybe JO and Rasheed can mate and have little little crack babies. I'm so pissed off right now. Especially at JO for forgetting his heart in the second round of the playoffs. I hope some of these guys read this because it is how I really feel right now, as if they give a ****. Sick. I've wasted too much time and money on this team to see **** play like that. Just stand around and wait for the ball and then try to go one on one with someone. Pitiful. Grade school basketball.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

WE CANNOT MAKE LAYUPS!!!!!!!

First, I would like to agree, Detroit plays defense like no other. That was scary out there.

As for JO, I'm kind of split on how I feel about him. Part of me thinks that perhaps this year has shed that "untouchable" label from him for this offseason, but another part of me thinks, after this messed-up, straight from hell year, perhaps everyone on the roster should get another chance before anything drastic is done. Maybe things just didn't swing our way this season, and we should give JO, Ron, Tinsley, Dale and....... even Bender another chance to make things work.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First, I would like to agree, Detroit plays defense like no other. That was scary out there.

As for JO, I'm kind of split on how I feel about him. Part of me thinks that perhaps this year has shed that "untouchable" label from him for this offseason, but another part of me thinks, after this messed-up, straight from hell year, perhaps everyone on the roster should get another chance before anything drastic is done. Maybe things just didn't swing our way this season, and we should give JO, Ron, Tinsley, Dale and....... even Bender another chance to make things work.

Stop making excuses for these guys. When the day is over, we're sobbing in our beers (or soft drinks as it may be) and they go home still multi-millionaires with many years on their guaranteed contracts. They don't care. They just don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    JO is the centerpiece of this team and we try and run everything thru him. He's soft, injured, and overrated...and bogs down the offense and causes rebounding problems. He continually forces the issue rather than letting the game come to him.

No way is he ready to lead this team and I seriously question if he will ever get there. I base that on his dismal performance this year (not just the playoffs) and the fact he continues to think he can lead this team while he forces shots and refuses to play team ball.

-Bball
    I actually agree with you on this post, but for tonight's game only. JO sucked *** both sides of the court, if the blame could be put on one person it would be him with Tinsley next in line. I think after a offseason with him workin hard to lose some weight get quicker and fix up that shoulder... you know the one he shoots with? He'll be much better off.

canyoufeelit

Last offseason I recall thinking that I wanted to trade him straight up for Elton Brand. This year IMO that can't happen fast enough. I want a tough inside player and I'm ****ing sick of the ****ing missed 5 foot fadeaways.

Shaq got traded: nobody is untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    Stop making excuses for these guys. When the day is over, we're sobbing in our beers (or soft drinks as it may be) and they go home still multi-millionaires with many years on their guaranteed contracts. They don't care. They just don't care.
    After this year, you are going to have a rough time convincing people that they don't care.

If they didn't care, we'd be sitting pretty with a top lottery pick right now.

There are several issues with our offense, but to use a Will Ferrell SNL word, we have no "strategery."

In no particular order:

1. Nobody can hit a perimeter shot. I mean nobody. Please get Steve Kerr out of the commentator booth and in to a Pacer uniform. I can forgive Reggie having a bad game and shooting 30%. I can't forgive a game where he just doesnt' shoot.. of all people he has to score.

2. Nobody can rebound. Slick was commenting that we have to send 5 guys to the boards. We are getting no second shots and they are getting easy hoops in transition.

3. We are making zero adjustments.

4. Without JO we have no post scoring. We just have no depth at this position with somebody who can score.

5. ISO plays DON'T WORK!!!!

6. With the above points, our confidence starts sagging and our emotions flare up. Flared up emotions are bad for this team.

This team has no idea to take what the defense gives us. They have shown they can do it in the past, but this is just not good.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Umm..

He is playing hurt, I really think we have to remember that.

I'll grant he is playing hurt and that makes his forcing things even harder to take. While it could be argued his shoulder caused his shot to be off, the fact that so many of those shots were fadeaways, too far from the basket, and/or into tough defense then I have to ask what was stopping him from making a pass? And besides that, how about some quick decisions with the basketball? It's obvious to me that JO's real problem is just a tad bit above his shoulder(s)...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Well, there have been some great observations posted here already.

My big problem is that we are extremely predictable to a very good defense, and we just seem incapable of making adjustments if something isn't working.

JT drives down and generall gets into the paint, and because of Deroit's defense, he either: a: forces a shot, b: forces a pass, or c: kicks it out. By the time he kicks it out, we have time for one good shot. We tend to clang it off the rim, and then Detroit gets out in transition quickly. We have an impossible time getting an offense rebound.

Another offense that we run is numerous isolation plays. We throw it to JO in the post, where he generally wasts alot of the clock, gets double-teamed, and forces up a bad shot. Again, we generally don't get the rebound. JO obviously needs to shoot some, but based on how he is shooting in this series, he needs to look to pass.

Another variant is to run a bunch of screens and get Reggie a three. Reggie just doesn't have the touch right now, so we sporadically score, and often, we lose a long rebound. One and done, and even with the great Reggie, this is a low probability shot. I am OK with him taking some obviously, but it wouldn't kill Reggie to shot fake and get some mid-rangers. He would also benefit him and his teammates if he would get to the friggin' foul line. He is one of the best at doing this.

The final offensive scheme that we seem to run is isolating Jackson out on the wing. This is ugly, but it seems to be the most effective offense that we run for a few reasons. Jackson can score inside and outside, he drives, and on games like tonight, he actually passes. He can be a black hole, but I think he was pretty unselfish tonight.

That to me in a nutshell is our entire offense. It is lumbering, predictable, and so far not effective. We need to at minimal do two things to beat the Pistons. One is we need to move the freaking ball to get the best shot, and two, we need to make these good looks. The Pistons are packing us in down low, and we are going to have to make some mid-range, not all freakin' 3 pointers, to loosen up their D inside.

Rick also needs to make player changes. The definition of insanity is to keep trying the same things and then expecting to get different results. He needs to utilize the bench more. If a guy isn't moving the ball, then sit him down. If a guy is trying, but his stroke isn't there, then sit him down. Is a guy is sulking on defense because his offense isn't there, then sit him down. Platoon, use the troops, and try to make positive changes. Chances are the guys on the bench will know why they are there, and they will come back in with their heads straight.

We keep trying the same unsuccesful thing over and over again. It is like watching someone try and chop down a tree with a marshmallow.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They don't care. They just don't care.
    Hogwash!
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    Completely dead legs. No legs, no lift.

Detroit denies the easy paint shots.

ditto

. They don't care. They just don't care.
    That is total bull ****.

Your comments really **** me off.

Truly idiotic comments.

I'll chalk them up to you just being frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    That is total bull ****.

Truly idiotic comments.

Woa
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

i think they care in a sense but i just don't think they have that killer instinct, sense of urgency, or willingness to step it up a notch and put forth 100% effort.

they're still young and somewhat immature.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That is total bull ****.

Truly idiotic comments.

You'll get yelled at for calling people idiots.

That is total bull ****.

Truly idiotic comments.

Woah! UB going at it!

I agree with the guy above me, they can care and not have that 'killer instinct'.

There are a lot of things I worry about with this team, but not trying, or having a lackadaisical attitude is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

-Bball

This concept of looking at records when JO or a main player out is very misleading. When JO is not a Pacer is when you would know his value. While he is not playing well now, believe me NBA teams need 20 points, 10 boards and 3 block guys. It is easy to win a few games when your main guy is not in the lineup.