Thread: #18 + cap space for Dipo

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default #18 + cap space for Dipo

Here's the deal. OKC has $110m committed in salaries next season. That's a whisker away from the luxury tax line, which is projected at $121m. Trouble is they want to re-sign some of their FAs - definitely Roberson, maybe Taj Gibson too. There's no way they can do that without going over the tax, which is a no-no for them since it means repeater penalties, for a team that's not clearly a contender.

So OKC has huge motivation to trade some of their large contracts. Enes Kanter ($18m) is definitely on the block, but the market for slow no-defense centers can't be too hot. Steve Adams ($22m) is the starting C, the best big in the lineup, and the main enforcer and interior defender. The Thunder probably can't afford to trade him.

That leaves Oladipo ($21m), once highly touted but hasn't quite turned into the star that people were expecting. He's nominally the starting guard, but there's a built-in replacement on the roster in rookie Alex Abrines. A poor performance in the playoffs probably didn't help his case. In my view, he's the guy that OKC will end trading to free up money for Roberson.

So now the trade

#18 for Victor Oladipo (absorbed into cap space)

Why for OKC? Clear a lot of space under the tax, move a contract (4 years/$84m) that's probably more expensive than the player is worth to them, get another shot at drafting cheap talent.

Why for the Pacers? It's a higher price than it might appear at first because that pick and cap space are probably our principal assets for this offseason. In return, we're getting an athletic young guy with very good defense and a developing outside shot. Even if he doesn't turn out to be a star, worst case we're getting a guy who projects as an elite 3&D type, albeit at a large annual salary.

Thoughts?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: #18 + cap space for Dipo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That leaves Oladipo ($21m), once highly touted but hasn't quite turned into the star that people were expecting. He's nominally the starting guard, but there's a built-in replacement on the roster in rookie Alex Abrines. A poor performance in the playoffs probably didn't help his case. In my view, he's the guy that OKC will end trading to free up money for Roberson.

So now the trade

#18 for Victor Oladipo (absorbed into cap space)

Thoughts?

No thank you for two reeasons :

1) This is a very deep draft where you will definitely get a serviceable player at 18th spot.
    2) A 1st-round rookie is a cost-controlled member of the team for full 4 years.

I would strongly consider shipping GRIII for Oladipo as GRIII will be getting paid already a year from now and I consider Dipo being better than "The Fit" if we forget their draft-statuses and concentrate JUST in ability. Margin is not huge, but nevertheless...

So, I would rather pay Oladipo 21 million a year 2018-2021 than GRIII some 16 million on those same seasons... But I wouldn't want to give up a draft pick who is paid just around 2 million on those same years...

Replace GRIII with Xmas and it would be a no-brainer to make. If he develops, he will be a RFA & getting in a year too. If he doesn't develop at all - then he ain't worth a penny.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:

sav

$21m is a steep price to pay for Oladipo, but I think you're looking at the right kind of trades.

He'd pair well between Lance and Paul and could cover PGs defensively.

He makes your team better than likely anyone at #18 now and in the future, but that $21 is making me hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ........a contract (4 years/$84m) that's probably more expensive than the player is worth ..........
    You answered yourself.