Thread: Detroit & the Expansion Draft

Default Detroit & the Expansion Draft

I would like to thank those who have shared their knowledge & comments during this series. I would especially like to thank those that have continued to read these, even if you're not posting a responce.

Now, on to the Pistons. These are links to the info I'm using. There are links to past threads in this series at the bottom of this post.

From NBA.com, a story on the Bobcats draft.
    http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/expansion_draft.html

This paragraph has the basic info.

Charlotte will receive lists from each of the 27 teams not competing in the NBA Finals 10 days prior to the scheduled Expansion Draft (June 12) and those from the competing teams in the Finals within two days of the conclusion of the Finals. Team lists will designate a maximum of eight protected players for that teamís players under contract or restricted free agents for the 2004-05 NBA season. The unprotected players are eligible for selection by the Bobcats, who will draft a minimum of 14 players from NBA rosters.

Free agent info from REAL GM.
    http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents.php?year=2004

Salary info from Hoops Hype.
    http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/detroit.htm

Here is Detroit's current roster.

Rasheed Wallace
    Richard Hamilton
    Ben Wallace
    Chauncey Billups
    Corliss Williamson
    Elden Campbell
    Darko Milicic
    Lindsey Hunter
    Mehmet Okur
    Tayshaun Prince
    Darvin Ham
    Mike James
    Tremaine Fowlkes

The Pistons have 6 players listed as free agents, none of them restricted. That gives Detroit just 7 players under contract for the 2004-05 season. Detroit will need to leave at least 1 player unprotected.

Detroit players under contract for next season.

Richard Hamilton ----- $7,312,500
    Ben Wallace ----------- $6,000,000
    Chauncey Billups ----- $5,455,200
    Corliss Williamson ---- $5,500,000
    Elden Campbell ------- $4,400,000
    Darko Milicic ----------- $3,865,440
    Tayshaun Prince ----- $1,038,960

Detroits free agent list.

Rasheed Wallace
    Lindsey Hunter
    Mehmet Okur
    Darvin Ham
    Mike James
    Tremaine Fowlkes

This should be fairly easy.

The Pistons that are the no brainers to make the protected list are Hamilton, Wallace, Billups, Milicic & Prince.

That leaves Williamson & Campbell.

Williamson has 3 more years on his deal starting at $5.5M next season. Much too pricy for the Bobcats, even if he was unprotected.

Campbell has just 1 season remaining & it is at $4.4M, way too over priced for what he brings. Campbell is also going to be 36 years old before next season & that is not what Charlotte is looking for.

Since Williamson is the better player & Campbell has an ending deal I think they will protect Williamson & leave Campbell out there for whoever might want 4.4 coming off their cap the following year.

My guess is that Charlotte gets no takers for Campbell's contract & he does not get selected in the expansion draft.

Here is the Expansion Draft as of now.

Atlanta ------------- No Pick
    Boston --------- C - Kedrick Perkins
    Chicago ------------ No Pick
    Cleveland ----- G - Kevin Ollie
    Dallas ---------- G - Tony Delk
    Denver --------- F - Ryan Bowen
    Detroit ------------- No Pick

Links to previous threads in this series.

Atlanta ------ http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=996
    Boston ------ http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1038
    Chicago ----- http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1083
    Cleveland --- http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1122
    Dallas ------- http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1162
    Denver ------ http://www.pacersdigest.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1216

Next up the Golden State Warriors

Default Re: Detroit & the Expansion Draft

Can't say I disagree with any of your logic on this Jose.

The Pistons are left intact by the Bobcats.

Atlanta - no pick
    Boston - Jumaine Jones
    Chicago - Chris Jeffries
    Cleveland - Kedrick Brown
    Dallas - Tony Delk
    Denver - no pick
    Detroit - no pick

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i think detroit might offer some incentive for bobcats to pick campbell or corliss. they have enough cap room now to re-sign either sheed or okur, but not both. if they can get the cats to bite, they will be in a position to offer new deals to both players.

i think detroit might offer some incentive for bobcats to pick campbell or corliss. they have enough cap room now to re-sign either sheed or okur, but not both. if they can get the cats to bite, they will be in a position to offer new deals to both players.
    That's an awfully scary thought. If I were the Bobcats I'd be more than willing to take Campbell for a year if I could get some sugar in the deal.

PistonsDynasty

Joe Dumars won't protect Elden Campbell or Corliss Williamson.

Detroit can offer a 1st round pick if they take Corliss off our hands. His contract is to big. Detroit doesn't have any 1st round picks in 04' but they have a 2nd round pick and their 25th from 03' coming in this so theywon't need any picks for a while.

That leaves the Pistons in great cap room with all of their CORE players locked for 5-7 except Ben Wallace (who Joe will re-sign in 06')

That leaves a Young time with a ton of time to jell.

04-05 Team with Sheed

Pg: Billups/????????
    Sg: Hamilton/Carlos Delfino
    Sf: Prince/ Carlos Delfino
    Pf: B. Wallace/Okur
    Ct: S. Wallace/Darko

-------

04-05 Team without Sheed

Pg:Billups/?????????
    Sg: Hamilton/Carlos
    Sf: Prince/Carlos Delfino
    Pf: B. Wallace/Darko
    Ct: Okur/Darko/Campbell

By not signing Sheed Dumars could go after a top fre agent but I doubt it

By not signing Sheed Dumars could go after a top fre agent but I doubt it
    Sheed is going to NY

bottom line

What's the order of the draft? I had thought it was by regular season standings.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The non-playoffs teams are in a lottery to determine the order of the top 3 picks.

Charlotte picks #4.

Picks 5 thru 29 (Minnesota has no 1st rounder) are by determined by record.

I think I got that right.

The non-playoffs teams are in a lottery to determine the order of the top 3 picks.

Charlotte picks #4.

Picks 5 thru 29 (Minnesota has no 1st rounder) are by determined by record.

I think I got that right.
    Sorry, I mean what's the order of the expansion draft? I was thinking you were going by standings until today, when I realized that you were going by alphabet. It hasn't mattered so far, but by the end of the draft it will matter who's already been picked.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I really don't think it makes a difference, Charlotte gets every pick.

They need to select at least 14 & as many as 29. I won't matter what order they pick.

Atlanta - No Pick
    Boston - Kedrick Perkins
    Chicago - No Pick _or_ Robinson + Draft Pick
    Cleveland - No Pick
    Dallas - Tony Delk
    Denver - No Pick
    Detroit - No Pick _or_ Campbell (in hopes of getting talent for an expiring contract at the deadline)