Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

  1. #1
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    I figured I'd bring this up here, with people that have no attachement to rodman, pro or con.

    I compare him a lot to reggie miller, in this respect: they were both GREAT at one thing, and average in a lot of other catagories.

    Reggie was the greatest shooter of his era, bar none.

    Rodman was the greatest rebounder of his era, bar none.

    Unless you put more stock into shooting than rebounding, I think if Reggie gets to the hall (which I think he will), so should dennis. I don't think there's a "character" clause in the hall, and even if there was, I don't think being wierd should be considered an offense.

    And if thats not enough to get Dennis in, he played on two of the greatest teams in NBA history, and he was a top-3 player on both of them.

    All that considered, I still have my doubts Rodman will get in.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  2. #2
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    I think he has a legit case to be for the reasons you've mentioned.

    However I think all of his side-show acts will keep him from ever being strongly considered by the men who vote on these things.

  3. #3
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,692

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    I don't think it should even be a question. If Rodman isn't in on the first ballot then there shouldn't be a hall of fame.

    Multiple championships, multiple rebound titles, multiple D.P.O.Y., this guy is a must.

    Also I disagree about him being a one trick poney, he played superb defense as well as rebound.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  4. #4
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it should even be a question. If Rodman isn't in on the first ballot then there shouldn't be a hall of fame.

    Multiple championships, multiple rebound titles, multiple D.P.O.Y., this guy is a must.

    Also I disagree about him being a one trick poney, he played superb defense as well as rebound.
    Well, after he left the Pistons, I thought he became less of a stopper and more of a rebounder. If you look on what he did with the Spurs and the Bulls, he never really frustrated guys like he did in Detroit. In the 1996 finals, he got eaten alive by Shawn Kemp. But nobody noticed that, because he was grabbing 20 rebounds a night.

    On the Pistons, he was in an excellent defensive system, and he benefitted from that in a lot of ways. He could concentrate on stopping his man, because the rest of the team was chock full of good rebounders. He didn't even break 10 rebounds per game on either title team.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    I dunno - 18th on the all-time rebounding list and 2-time DPOY are pretty good. But he only played on 2 all-star games and was he ever on an all-NBA team?

    I don't see it as cut-and-dried either way - if he gets in then IMO Mutombo gets in. But I have a hard time seeing those guys in and not Dantley or Nique.

    A lot will depend on who's on the ballot with him.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  6. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dunno - 18th on the all-time rebounding list and 2-time DPOY are pretty good. But he only played on 2 all-star games and was he ever on an all-NBA team?

    A lot will depend on who's on the ballot with him.
    1st of all-Mutombo was not clearly the best shot blocker of his era. Hakeem has a lot to say about that.

    And he was one of the top 5 rebounders of all time. Dont look at his comparison to players of the 60's, which had incredibly inflated rebounding numbers. COmpare Rodman to the rest of the players in HIS era. Its not even close.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #7
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    I'd like to have a good argument for why he won't/ shouldn't get in. But I don;t have one.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  8. #8

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Based on talent I have always thought that he should. Based on intagibles I don't think he will even though I would vote for him.

    Stats aside here is how he is different from Reggie and why he won't make the Hall.

    1) Not only was he wierd he got into a lot of trouble with the league and was seen by teams he was on (with the exception of the Bulls and winning years with the Pistons) as a locker room cancer. Why else would teams pass up on a hall of famer after the Bulls broke up?

    2) He things he did well are still called the little things. Voters are idiots enough to believe that little things are little. Also this league historically favors little guys over bigs when it comes to popularity.

    3) He never was a franchise player. No team was built around him and no franchise really embraced him. What owner is going to push for him to get in?

    4) His last years with were he got kicked off the Lakers and Mavs he became a joke. His last impression was a strung out, barely coherent oddity past his prime.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it should even be a question. If Rodman isn't in on the first ballot then there shouldn't be a hall of fame.

    Multiple championships, multiple rebound titles, multiple D.P.O.Y., this guy is a must.

    Also I disagree about him being a one trick poney, he played superb defense as well as rebound.
    Minus the multiple titles for now...and this is why I think Ben Wallace is going to be considered a sure fire Hall of Famer at the end of his career.

  10. #10
    NewType
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Based on what he has achieved - stats, accolades, and rings, he should be. However, voters may not vote for him because of his other stuffs. I think he's a very interlligent player. Judging by talent alone, he's definitely a HOF.

    Side note: in the States, he might not have been thought highly of due his bad reputation, but in overseas, he was huge since we didn't get all those negative news about him. In Hong Kong, where I grew up, many bought his jerseys and his shoes were extremely hot items. In Japan, there was an extremely popular basketball comic in the late 90s called Slam Dunk that featured the main character that closely resembled him - a bright red head and a rebounding machine. If internet voting for all stars was available back then, he might have a couple more all star occurence.

  11. #11
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Even after he went crazy, he was still an excellent defender. Sure, he didn't do jack on offense, but there are more than a couple HOF'ers that didn't do jack on defense.

    If the voters know **** about the NBA, he's a first-ballot lock. Problem is, the Wilkens snub showed they don't.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  12. #12
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,068
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Yes, Dennis Rodman deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

    I didn't like his sideshow antics in the latter part of his career, but he NEEDS to be in the HOF. Period.

  13. #13
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Maybe you can get Sassan to tell the voters, "If you don't vote for Dennis Rodman, than you're not a real basketball fan."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  14. #14
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Based on talent I have always thought that he should. Based on intagibles I don't think he will even though I would vote for him.

    Stats aside here is how he is different from Reggie and why he won't make the Hall.

    1) Not only was he wierd he got into a lot of trouble with the league and was seen by teams he was on (with the exception of the Bulls and winning years with the Pistons) as a locker room cancer. Why else would teams pass up on a hall of famer after the Bulls broke up?
    ....because he was going on 38 years old when the Bulls broke up?

    4) His last years with were he got kicked off the Lakers and Mavs he became a joke. His last impression was a strung out, barely coherent oddity past his prime.
    Both the Lakers and Mavs were a joke WITHOUT Rodman, in those years. He was an oddity to be sure, but he STILL averaged 11 boards on the '99 Lakers and 14 boards on the '00 Mavs. Not bad for a "strung out oddity past his prime."

    I can recall MANY worse falls from glory, as far as play is concerned. Try Moses Malone, or Patrick Ewing.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  15. #15
    Tim
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    He is going to get in, although people may make him wait a bit. If people even think about leaving him out then that will put him back in the media spot light and the NBA really doesn't want to be reconnected with him again.

  16. #16
    Grey
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    I don't think there's a place for him in the Hall of Fame. Aside from 4 or 5 productive years in the NBA, he hurt his teams as much as he helped them.

    And if the Pistons ever retire #10, it'll have Hunter's name on the banner - not Rodman's.

  17. #17
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think there's a place for him in the Hall of Fame. Aside from 4 or 5 productive years in the NBA, he hurt his teams as much as he helped them.

    And if the Pistons ever retire #10, it'll have Hunter's name on the banner - not Rodman's.
    You're right. Aside from those 8 years with the bulls and Pistons where he got to the conference finals 8 times, got to the finals 6 times, and won the championship 5 times, he was generally a cancer.

    And if the Pistons retire Hunter's #10, I will personally burn it to the ground. Rodman burned a lot of bridges here, but that was due to a lot of mental immaturity. He was the best defensive player on the best defensive team in league history. If thats not grounds for honoring him I don't know what is.

    If Vinnie Johnson and Laimbeer get their numbers retired, dennis better be eventually.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  18. #18

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    I don't think Rodman had the career Reggie did. His stats don't compare. He was a distraction so many times that like someone else said he hurt teams. He was great rebounder (no doubt) but he didn't lead teams. He didn't take the big shot. He didn't cause teams to change their defense when he entered the game. He didn't do alot things. He was a role player, would you put Jeff Foster or Dale Davis in the Hall.

    Winning a ring is sometimes about being on the right team. Look at what Shaq has done for Wades career. Not that Wade isn't a great player but he's opened things up for him. Look at Kobe this year without ShaqDaddy.....
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  19. #19
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right. Aside from those 8 years with the bulls and Pistons where he got to the conference finals 8 times, got to the finals 6 times, and won the championship 5 times, he was generally a cancer.

    And if the Pistons retire Hunter's #10, I will personally burn it to the ground. Rodman burned a lot of bridges here, but that was due to a lot of mental immaturity. He was the best defensive player on the best defensive team in league history. If thats not grounds for honoring him I don't know what is.

    If Vinnie Johnson and Laimbeer get their numbers retired, dennis better be eventually.
    I completely agree.

    (runs off to clean myself, EWWW!)

    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ....because he was going on 38 years old when the Bulls broke up?



    Both the Lakers and Mavs were a joke WITHOUT Rodman, in those years. He was an oddity to be sure, but he STILL averaged 11 boards on the '99 Lakers and 14 boards on the '00 Mavs. Not bad for a "strung out oddity past his prime."

    I can recall MANY worse falls from glory, as far as play is concerned. Try Moses Malone, or Patrick Ewing.
    So no team was willing to pick him up after the Bulls run because he was able to average 11 boards and later 14 rebounds? Which was it was he wash up or not?

    I wasn't considering his play when I was speaking of his decline. I was thinking that two teams dropped him rather than have him on thier rosters.

    If these weren't real concerns why else would there be a question about his going into the hall of fame?

  21. #21
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Quote Originally Posted by aceace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think Rodman had the career Reggie did. His stats don't compare. He was a distraction so many times that like someone else said he hurt teams. He was great rebounder (no doubt) but he didn't lead teams. He didn't take the big shot. He didn't cause teams to change their defense when he entered the game. He didn't do alot things. He was a role player, would you put Jeff Foster or Dale Davis in the Hall.
    Role players don't win DPOY multiple times. If Dale had half the career Rodman did, he damn well better be in the HOF.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  22. #22
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If these weren't real concerns why else would there be a question about his going into the hall of fame?
    I wouldn't go there. Up to and including last season, there were still respected journalists that questioned why Reggie should make the Hall.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  23. #23

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't go there. Up to and including last season, there were still respected journalists that questioned why Reggie should make the Hall.
    That's not what I am saying. People questioning whether Reggie should be in the hall was based on on-the-court play.

    Here people are asking does Rodman's character issues factor into the voting. Most have said it shouldn't which I agree with. However, if the character issues don't factor in why would people seem to think they will? My answer is that they do and will matter in the minds of voters.

  24. #24
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    I don't know many role players that managed to average 17 rebounds per game over a 7-year span.

    How dominant is that? The average margin in rebounds per game between rodman and the #2 rebounder in the NBA each of those 7 seasons, was 3.5

    For seven season, rodman was nearly 4 rebounds per game better than any other player in the NBA, and he was only 6'8." If thats a role player, what exactly is a superstar?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  25. #25
    canyoufeelit
    Guest

    Default Re: Should Dennis Rodman be in the hall of fame?

    Kstat, Rodman's numbers are somewhat skewed because he padded his rebounding stats like no other. If you recall back to his playing days, remember the way he used to tip the ball up into the air until only he had possession...? Ah yes, but that's not the worst example of this. A lot of bigmen in this league camp out in the paint rather than stepping out to challenge the pick and roll. People complain about Shaq doing this, but Rodman was perhaps the most egregious example of a defensive 3 seconds violater once he left Detroit. In San Antonio, I recall him costing his team a crucial playoff game because he was camping under the basket for rebounds, didn't step out to guard his man - Robert Horry - and thus the legend of Big shot Rob was born as he drilled the game winner.

    Don't get me wrong, he was a tremendous player and rebounder, but in those years specifically he sacrificed the good of the team for his rebounding titles. Truth is he was closer to a 12 or 13 rpg player than he was a 16 or 18 rpg player. Still excellent for his size. Bob Hill was no Chuck Daly and certainly no Phil Jackson, it took a hall of fame coach to rein him in and get him to fit a team, and when he did usually those teams were downright dominating.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •