Thread: Iverson continues holding the 76er's hostage.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thumbs down Iverson continues holding the 76er's hostage.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3618970

Webber reportedly says he can't play with AI
    Story Tools: Print Email

FOXSports.com
    Posted: 14 minutes ago

Chris Webber had trouble adjusting to life with Allen Iverson on the basketball court. Now, he says he can't play with the veteran point guard, according to The New York Daily News.

Rosen: Sonics followed plan
    Kahn: Pistons back on track
  2. Sunday's playoff roundup

Photos ...
    Sunday's playoff action

Courtside celebs

Analysis...

Rosen: Playoff Straight Shooting
    Kalb: Top 10 surprising heroes
    Hench: Refs are the problem
    O'Connor: Phil nuts if he returns
  3. Deveney: Playoff predictions Also...

Schedule | Scoreboard | Photos
    More NBA coverage | Video

4. According to the report, Webber, whom the Sixers acquired in a trade with Sacramento last February, has confided to "several close friends" following Philly's first-round playoff loss to Detroit that playing with Iverson drove him nuts.

"I can't play with him," Webber reportedly told one friend. "He dribbles too much." After complaining about Iverson's selfish approach on the court, Webber reportedly told the friend, "I'd take a pay cut to get out of there."

But a pay cut and subsequent deal to get him out of town aren't likely to happen because the 32-year-old Webber is due $63 million over the next three seasons. And as The Daily News points out, C-Webb's surgically repaired knee isn't getting any better, and he will turn 33 in March.

So it appears that one of the team's goals for next season might be to find ways for Webber to work with Iverson, a player who dominates the basketball. And according to the report, Webber was warned by Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson about Iverson. "You won't be able to play with him," Robinson reportedly told him.

House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Iverson continues holding the 76er's hostage.

So how many is that now? Stackhouse, Hughes, Robinson, Van Horn, Webber, Larry Brown.

This guy is and will always be what is wrong with the NBA. Webber is no saint, but obviously he isn't the only one with this complaint. The Sixers need to do anything to get rid of him. Yet no one in their right mind should want him. The only time this guy had real success was the year we broke up and the East was beyond pitiful. Had the 2000 team never been destroyed, Allen Iverson would have never made it to the finals.

House Sigil:

King Mob

The thing about that team is that is AI and 14 solid defensive players who didn't demand the ball on offense. The starters were Snow, AI, Lynch, Ty Hill and Deke, with McKie off the bench. Their defense was top notch, and Ivo was allowed to do anything he wanted on offense, with the other guys feeding off his scraps. That's the only way to have success with him, IMO.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah their D was good, I attribute it mostly to Larry Brown. However the 2000 team would have eliminated them in any round. You're right though, that is the only way to win with him. Still that is not a formula for a championship, or legit contender. Philly is in a real pickle.

House Sigil:

ImCrazyB

AI would be worth a ton to almost any GM in the league..But he can easily destroy your team..Not because hes a ball hog..But because he just holds the ball way to much. Nearly 95% of phillies plays run through or with Iverson..That's not team ball.

The only way it would be possible for Philly to win before Iverson retires would be to have him average 45 PPG in the playoffs.

3ptmiller

Yea and i think he is absolutely right... For u who does like AI dont read this----> AI is a ballhogger

ImCrazyB

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea and i think he is absolutely right... For u who does like AI dont read this----> AI is a ballhogger
    He's not necesarily a ballhogger. More like....a PG who's trying way to hard to do everything for his team. He passes..In fact he's like 2nd or 3rd in assists in the league...He just has the ball way to many possessions.

canyoufeelit

Allen Iverson would fit absolutely perfect on Larry Brown's current team actually. When the Pistons offense bogs down (as it predictably does at least once a game), could you imagine him taking charge. They wouldn't lose a game.

3ptmiller

Quote Originally Posted by ImCrazyB
    He's not necesarily a ballhogger. More like....a PG who's trying way to hard to do everything for his team. He passes..In fact he's like 2nd or 3rd in assists in the league...He just has the ball way to many possessions.
    Yes i know, but do u see how he makes those assists? He dribbles way to much, then he either shoots or drives to the hoop and if he cant get the shot off he passes to the open man under the hoop for an easy bucket... A PG scoring 30 ppg, on 30 Attempts is not meant to be.. but hey,thats NBA!

Quote Originally Posted by King Mob
    The thing about that team is that is AI and 14 solid defensive players who didn't demand the ball on offense. The starters were Snow, AI, Lynch, Ty Hill and Deke, with McKie off the bench. Their defense was top notch, and Ivo was allowed to do anything he wanted on offense, with the other guys feeding off his scraps. That's the only way to have success with him, IMO.
    yeh, i will agree with that analyisis. iverson has a problem with other guys who try score too. he wants/needs the ball so much that i doubt any other scorer can feel comfortable out there since the ball is always in a.i.'s hands. although in another post i saw mention about the 2000 team. i would like to point out a few things with that team. it had reached the end of it's run in several ways. one of which was that rik smits retired so it wasn't like the pacers told him too go home and call it a career. he did it himself. mullin was done and was only going to get slower and mckey was averaging about half a season by then and sitting out the other half injured. mark jackson was the one guy in particualr that i wish we would have kept around longer but he went for the team that was offering the most money. of course there was the dale for j.o. thing but with all the inevitable changes happening, we needed someone with greater scoring ability than dale could provide and took a chance on jermaine. i wish we could have kept that team longer too but, there was no realistic way i could forsee that working out another year.

canyoufeelit

He never left.

McKie never left.

Your thinking of George Lynch.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Grey

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    Allen Iverson would fit absolutely perfect on Larry Brown's current team actually. When the Pistons offense bogs down (as it predictably does at least once a game), could you imagine him taking charge. They wouldn't lose a game.
    Iverson has no place in Brown's current system. The Pistons are successful because they share the ball.

What would Iverson do when the offense isn't bogged down?

This is a good thread to ask this question.

Where is Dipperdunk ?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This is a good thread to ask this question.

Where is Dipperdunk ?
    I'm still around I've been pretty busy the last couple of months but I still enjoy reading the posts on this site I just don't respond to the threads because I'm usually a day or two behind reading them and I don't want to keep bumping old threads that have run their course so to speak.

I've been watching the Pistons/Pacers series and have been reading some of the threads. It's been an entertaining series. The Pacers hurt themselves in game 4 settling for too many jumpers and with turnovers. Credit Detroit's defense though they defend the basket like pit bulls and force you into becoming a jump shooting team. Is there any way we can talk Larry and Donnie into giving us Jax this summer?

In response to the Webber/AI situation. In response Webber said the article was a lie and I'm always skeptical of NY papers and Webber/AI only have had good things to say about each other so far. I haven't read anything out of the Philly media questioning their relationship as a matter of fact most of the Philly media has been positive about the AI/Webber situation because as a tandem late in the season they were really starting to click and the Sixers were winning. In Philly we probably have the most negative media in the country with our sports coverage; one of the reasons Barkley asked to be traded was because of the negativity of the Philly press. If there was any discontent with Webber and Iverson the sharks like Stephen A. Smith etc.,, would have been all over it.

As far as Iverson not being able to mesh with Webber having watched them start to click late in the season I don't buy it. Again I think the national media hyped the trade and the 76ers up big time saying they would win the Atlantic and be title immediate contenders. After the 1st ten games following the trade the national media did a total flip flop and started slamming the trade, Iverson, Webber pretty much the entire situation because Iverson was playing awful in March and it didn't click right away. They were hideous for a stretch of about 10-15 games. It was a typical case of expecting instant results without having the patience for the team to mesh and get on the same page.

IMO Iverson had the worse month of his career in March even though he averaged like 32 ppg in the month his play was awful. Anyway to make a long story short the 76ers hit a low point with a horrible loss to Golden State with AI having like 11 turnovers.After that game they finally had a chance to practice because they had to play 5 games in 8 days immediately after the Webber trade so they really didn't have any practice time together following the trade. In that practice O'Brien tweaked the offense and the 76ers won 4 out of 5 and averaged like 26 assists and about 104 ppg per game during that stretch and had great ball movement. They go out west and Webber hurts his shoulder and misses 2 weeks. They get Webber back and finish the year 8-2. Webber averages 21 ppg in April for the 76ers and Iverson wins play of the Month in April averaging 32 and 9. They were playing terrific offensive games and had great ball movement as a team the highlight was a 126 point effort against Miami with Shaq in the lineup. The combo of AI/Webber for the month of April averaged 53 ppg if that isn't meshing or being able to co-exist than what is?

The 76ers probably get the worse match up for them and draw Detroit. Iverson and Webber combine to average 51 ppg in that series that might be the highest of any tandem in the playoffs this year but the 76ers get abused at the small forward spot and the 3 young starters struggle in the 4th quarters of those games. As far as I'm concerned watching the 76ers late in the season they were really starting to click and I'm looking forward to watching them next season with a training camp with Webber and him being more involved initiating the offense and using his passing skills. They just couldn't implement all of those things on the fly in the middle of a playoff run.

Great to hear from you DD. I thought the Sixers played the Pistons pretty well. As the article says Webber ios not going anywhere, so if there are problems they just have to work them out