Thread: Article on JO's shoulder?

Graywolf_59

Default Article on JO's shoulder?

Decide for yourself on this article!Is is a slump by our Star or is he hurting?

http://sportsline.com/nba/story/8475695

Default Re: Article on JO's shoulder?

It made me raise an eyebrow, so to speak. I hadn't really looked at or considered his numbers since he returned a month or so ago. But the article spells it out pretty cleary: This isn't the JO we saw after his return in January. If that JO were here right now, perhaps he would be getting held to a game, statistically speaking, that right now we'd HOPE he would get on a good/great night.

I have to admire his refusal to blame the shoulder, but this article is probably right; something isn't right here.

"Reggie Miller's over-the-hill masonry"

That was harsh....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Yeah, I thought it was a bit much that people were writing off O'Neal, obviously forgetting how good he was playing pre-injury (both his and Tinsley's).
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Conrad said that J.O stayed after practice well over an hour today to work on his shooting

Graywolf_59

They showed JO working on his shot after practice on the news last nite.......showed him shooting mid range jumpers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JO hasn't said that his shoulder is as good as this guy wants to portray. I remember him talking about his shoulder wouldn't get above 70-80% but it couldn't get any worse either, so he decided he would play.

I can't believe this writer is complaining that a player isn't taking the easy way out and blaming a horrible game on an injury. JO needs to work the paint, not work the excuses.

Side thought: The way this series has gone makes me further believe the Celtics were intentionally going for our players' injuries. Notice how JO has not ONCE that I can think of grabbed his shoulder in pain? Could it be because the other team isn't TRYING to hammer it now? I think so. Thank you Pistons for being above that trash. I don't believe JO's healed so much on his own in two weeks, that he's gone from constantly having noticable trouble to not so much now. I think the Celtics were gunning for it, and the Pistons are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Side thought: The way this series has gone makes me further believe the Celtics were intentionally going for our players' injuries. Notice how JO has not ONCE that I can think of grabbed his shoulder in pain? Could it be because the other team isn't TRYING to hammer it now? I think so. Thank you Pistons for being above that trash. I don't believe JO's healed so much on his own in two weeks, that he's gone from constantly having noticable trouble to not so much now. I think the Celtics were gunning for it, and the Pistons are not.

Larry Brown would not do something like that. Apparently Doc Rivers wuld and did.

I remember discussions in the past that JO's shooting percentage was low for a post player. So exactly how bad is he slumping compared to last year (10 percentage points?)?

Also, what was JO shooting just in the couple of weeks prior to the shoulder injury? My feeble memory is that he was already slumping but whether it was this bad I don't know.

My point... Maybe there is more, or something else, besides the shoulder at play here. It's at least worth a look. The shoulder might simply be the easy answer, not necessarily the correct one.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I remember discussions in the past that JO's shooting percentage was low for a post player. So exactly how bad is he slumping compared to last year (10 percentage points?)?

Also, what was JO shooting just in the couple of weeks prior to the shoulder injury? My feeble memory is that he was already slumping but whether it was this bad I don't know.

My point... Maybe there is more, or something else, besides the shoulder at play here. It's at least worth a look. The shoulder might simply be the easy answer, not necessarily the correct one.

-Bball
    Nope. It's easily the shoulder.

I've dislocated my shoulder before (twice actually) and it takes a really long time to "get right". A player doesn't go from stud to dud, shooting-wise, this drastically.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I totally stopped looking for this, mostly because it just went away just like you described.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I keep getting the feeling that if the Pacers are able to get two normal, pre-injury performances from Jermaine they could win this series in 6 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

-Bball

I think the only other reasonable alternative was his inability to work on his post game last summer while his knee was recovering.

He hasn't yet learned how to carry 260 lbs. into the post, because he really hasn't been healthy for more than a few weeks since last May. Although in another thread everyone wants him to throw that weight away without even giving it a chance.

In some respects, he's still paying the price for three straight summers on the national team with a break.

Give him a summer without recuperating from an injury or a commitment to play on the national team and I think you'll see JO play like a beast.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204

Give him a summer without recuperating from an injury or a commitment to play on the national team and I think you'll see JO play like a beast.
    IOW... not this summer either as he'll be recuperating from the shoulder injury...

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

IOW... not this summer either as he'll be recuperating from the shoulder injury...

-Bball
    I'm split on that...

He's healthy enough to be back on the court now, whereas when he hurt it I figured he'd still be working on his range-of-motion stuff right now. So he's ahead of schedule, as far as I'm concerned.

So yeah, he's still got some rehabbing to do but not so much that he can't - after taking six or eight weeks off to lay on a beach somewhere - begin updating his post game to match his newly-acquired bulk and leverage by late July or early August.

Absolutely 100% correct.

The Celtics were playing dirty all along & no matter what you think of the Pistons you have to agree that they are not & have not once played dirty to try & injure or at least try & hit J.O. or our other players for that matter.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Absolutely 100% correct.

-snip- you have to agree -snip-
    No wonder you're in last place for "most argumentative." That's no way to influence the voting public.

My memory is that J.O. shot very well the first 15 games or so when he returned from the suspension, but then some nagging injuries started popping up and he started struggling a little.

So in january he was great, but Feb he slumped a little

Does pacers.com breakdown players stats by month.

-Bball
    Since I'm bored & have a lot of free time on my hands........

I broke this down to 3 categoies: Pre 11-19, Post 11-19 - Pre Injury, Post injury.

In the 8 games before 1-19 JO was 62-134 for .462

In the games from Dec 25th - March 3rd - 316 of 678 for .466

From April 18th to May 15th - 74 of 204 for .362

Uncle Buck Yes they do. Go to "season splits" & scroll down a little. you'll see 'em.

Thanks Jose. I'll do that in a minute, but first I went to look at J.O.'s shooting % since he became a Pacer.

Not sure what these mean

2001 - Regular season - 46% - Playoffs 45%
    2002 - regular season - 48% - playoffs - 45%
    2003 - regular season - 48% playoffs - 47%
    2004 - regular season - 43% playoffs - 42% overall and 40% against Pistons
    2005 - regular season - 45% playoffs 34%

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Thanks Jose. I'll do that in a minute, but first I went to look at J.O.'s shooting % since he became a Pacer.

Not sure what these mean

2001 - Regular season - 46% - Playoffs 45%
    2002 - regular season - 48% - playoffs - 45%
    2003 - regular season - 48% playoffs - 47%
    2004 - regular season - 43% playoffs - 42% overall and 40% against Pistons
    2005 - regular season - 45% playoffs 34%
    Bring back the Quick!
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jermai...ame_stats.html

That will show you all games broken down into months and all on one page for easy comparison... altho it doesn't actually do the math for you as to percentages.

He had a couple of decent games in Feb and March (15-23 , 12-22, 8-16) but there is also some 4-15, 9-24 , 7-23, 5-13 stuff going on as well. There was easily a slump in Feb altho you could argue he was coming out of it by the end of the month/start of March when the shoulder injury occured. He was 5-13 March 1st and had 18 points but I would label that one as inconclusive. The next game was the injury and he was 4-7 that game.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden